Old How I Met Your Mother Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5319 replies to this topic

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 10:11 AM

From the press release:

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER is a comedy about Ted (Josh Radnor) and how he fell in love. It all started when Ted's best friend, Marshall (Jason Segel, "Freaks and Geeks"), drops the bombshell that he's going to propose to his long-time girlfriend, Lily (Alyson Hannigan, "American Pie"), a kindergarten teacher. At that moment, Ted realizes that he had better get a move on if he hopes to find true love, too. Helping him in his quest is Barney (Neil Patrick Harris, "Doogie Howser, M.D."), a friend with endless, sometimes outrageous, opinions, a penchant for suits and a fool-proof way to meet women. When Ted meets Robin (Cobie Smulders, "Veritas: The Quest"), he's sure it's love at first sight, but destiny may have something else in store. With voice-over by Bob Saget ("Full House"), the show is told through flashbacks from the future.

Officially on the CBS schedule for 2005-6 at 8:30 p.m. Mondays. Let the Willow vs. Xander jokes begin.

eholder

eholder

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 12:03 PM

Aw, and Willow used to write Doogie Howser fanfic (and love poems to Xander).

Hoopernatorial

Hoopernatorial

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 5:40 PM

I love Neil Patrick Harris in a purely heterosexual way. He's consistantly been the only truly funny part of many pretty bad movies, and I have a special place in my heart for Stark Raving Mad, a show that apparently only I watched.

And Alyson Hannigan, you know, swoon.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 6:38 PM

And Alyson Hannigan, you know, swoon.

I guess I'll be watching to see how funny she is in a comedy.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 6:44 AM

If her appearance in 'That 70's Show' is any guide, the answer is 'not very'.

Still, it's Willow *sigh*. I'll be watching.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 9:43 AM

Hey! Don't forget about Jason Segel! He's the main reason that I'll be watching this one. Everything else is just gravy.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 10:15 AM

If her appearance in 'That 70's Show' is any guide, the answer is 'not very'.

I didn't she was great in it either but Iím blaming that somewhat on the writing, didnít think she had that much to work with on that show. Yep,thatís what Iím going with.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 11:13 AM

I love Neil Patrick Harris in a purely heterosexual way.

I don't believe this is his preference.

Jason Segel will force me to tune in, but I had a negative experience with Saget recently, so I don't know if I'll watch regularly.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 11:26 AM

If her appearance in 'That 70s Show' is any guide, the answer is 'not very.'

You give Aly good lines, and she'll bring the funny. (See the "band camp" speech in American Pie, or the entire "Doppelgangland" episode of Buffy.) My fear is that she's been recruited for her cuteness factor, and her character will be this adorable kindergarten teacher who loves puppies and flowers and widdle babies, and she won't have a chance to be funny at all...

DMike

DMike

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 1:50 PM

I don't know if I can take Bob Saget seriously after he spoke the line to end all lines in Half Baked. Just ugh.

And I don't know how to choose between Xander and Willow. It's like King Solomon and the baby-mommas all over again!

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2005 @ 1:12 PM

This is a real show? I read about this somewhere but I thought I was dreaming. Anyway, it doesn't sound bad.

I have a special place in my heart for Stark Raving Mad, a show that apparently only I watched.

I watched it, too. Why do all the shows I like get cancelled? (Well, with a few exceptions.)

amaline

amaline

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2005 @ 10:13 PM

I have a special place in my heart for Stark Raving Mad, a show that apparently only I watched.

I watched it, too. Why do all the shows I like get cancelled? (Well, with a few exceptions.)

Well, mr. amaline and I make 4, total. I feel your pain. I started watching it because I have this unexplained case of Tony Shalhoub worship, but N.P. Harris was actually quite good. I've seen him do interviews that were really funny - now, whether the writing will be worth it, that's the big question. I've been pretty soured on sitcoms, but I'll watch once just to see.

I thought Alyson Hannigan was in the news for backing out of a sitcom. Was that something else? I'd hoped she might be appearing on Veronica Mars again next season - she was delightfully bitchy.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 2:49 PM

Just to show I don't play favorites with my beloved Scoobies: Nick yesterday, Aly today.

Warning: laugh track alert. And Saget alert.

"How I Met Your Mother" video clip

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Jun 15, 2005 @ 10:41 PM

That clip was amusing. Not hilarious, but amusing. This show looks like fun. It looks like Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel are going to play well off of each other.

Neil Patrick Harris looks like Niles Crane in that suit, though. And why is Alyson Hannigan wearing an eyepatch? Is she a pirate on this show?

KatherineO

KatherineO

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 12:37 AM

I watched too! Which brings the grand total to...five.

Neil Patrick Harris has my undying love for Harold an Kumar Go to White Castle ("It's a fucking sausage fest in here, bros. Let's get some poontang, THEN we'll go to White Castle" and "I'm sorry. I left love stains on the back seat of your car") and playing Lee Harvey Oswald in Assassins on Broadway. Doogie no more!

xander874

xander874

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 7:38 AM

I'm number 6. I love, love, love Doogie. I watch that damn Christmas movie with him and Debbie Reynolds (and Iola from Mama's Family) every year just because I love him. It's great that he makes fun of himself. I love celebritites who don't take themselves seriously. So, I love him. It's probably wrong, but hey...

And I will watch this show because of him and because I like Willow too. Bog Saget, not so much, but at least we don't have to see him.

Edited by xander874, Jun 16, 2005 @ 7:39 AM.

Photo Geek

Photo Geek

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 10:15 AM

Oh, oh, oh! I'm number 7! My best friend is number 8, but he's not here, so he doesn't count. I have a deep and abiding love for NPH. It started with Doogie, swelled via the campy goodness that is Starship Troopers, and culminated in Harold and Kumar, which I only saw just to see him. (Seriously, this was my justification to Mr. Photo Geek: "But sweetie, it's got Neil Patrick Harris! And he steals their car! C'mon!") It was worth it too. You just haven't lived until you've seen him snort coke off a stripper's ass.

I will at least give it a chance, just for him. Though I have three nitpicks. 1) It has Bob Saget. 2) The credit font is stolen from You Don't Know Jack, the computer version. 3) The bar looks suspiciously similar to the one used in Stark Raving Mad. They could have at least rearranged the furniture.

Myn

Myn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 10:30 AM

It was worth it too. You just haven't lived until you've seen him snort coke off a stripper's ass.

Amen. It also gave me a shread of hope that he is, after all, heterosexual. (anyone have proof in either direction?)

Also, Jason Segal, like any and all of the F&G alum, has my undying devotion when it comes to at least trying out a new show. I'll be there!

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 10:53 AM

Saw Neil Patrick Harris Live! On Stage! at the Stephen Sondheim 75th birthday celebration a few months back. He did one number from Assassins, and another from Evening Primrose (Sondheim's obscure 1967 tele-musical). Boy can sing, y'all. I remember Stark Raving Mad mostly for Tony Shalhoub as a Stephen King-esque horror writer, but NPH was fine as his handler. He was also hilarious as the white intern ("affirmative action") in an all-black superspy organization in "Undercover Brother."

NameTBD

NameTBD

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 17, 2005 @ 12:55 PM

I'm looking forward to this show to a ridiculous degree, so much I registered just to be able to talk about it. Doogie and Willow--that's some good stuff.

I thought Alyson Hannigan was in the news for backing out of a sitcom. Was that something else?

IIRC, that was the ill-fated Jennifer Love Hewitt sitcom where she was on a sports show. Or something. It sounded dire, but then anything with Jennifer Love Hewitt was bound to.

I don't think it's been mentioned, but the first thing I noticed when I saw the cast photo is that NPH and the guy playing the main character did a play together in LA last December, where they were both gay and naked (which isn't why I went to see it, but I'm enough of a perv to admit it was a bonus). Odd that they ended up on this show together. Or not.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2005 @ 1:18 PM

I'm so glad to see that NPH is still able to get cast as a straight man.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 3:04 PM

I was watching Lost last night and saw a commercial for the show. I officially spend too much time on this board b/c my second thought (after "that was funny") was "I gotta post about this on TWoP." **sighs**

LadyKenobi

LadyKenobi

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 4:02 PM

Oh man, this show better get a move on if it's going to climb out of its self-inflicted Saget Hole.

Saw the commercial last night. "De-- wait for it!-- nied!" WAY too fast with the "wait for it!" Comedic timing, people. Comedic timing.

I'll tune in to the pilot, but if that's the clip they're using to advertise-- ie, the ABSOLUTLE BEST a team of actors, publicists, directors, producers, grips, and editors can do to make me want to watch this show--then I do not have high hopes.

Edited by LadyKenobi, Jul 14, 2005 @ 10:13 PM.

harvey the penguin

harvey the penguin

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2005 @ 9:24 PM

Amen. It also gave me a shread of hope that he is, after all, heterosexual. (anyone have proof in either direction?)

I've heard that he's dating Stephen Sondheim. I have no proof whatsoever, but if he is, a) hee and b) coolest couple ever.

I, too, will be watching this only out of NPH love. Does anyone else have the cast recording of Assassins? He's wonderful.

I don't mind Bob Saget that much. Sure, every thing he's ever done has sucked, but he's very funny in interviews.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 10:17 AM

I've heard that he's dating Stephen Sondheim.

What? Damn, that's over a 40 year age difference. That's even worse than Douglas and Zeta-Jones.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2005 @ 10:42 AM

Age knows no boundary to love when you're obscenely wealthy and powerful.

NameTBD

NameTBD

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 11:29 AM

The cast and producers appeared at the TV critics press tour thing yesterday. Here's a writeup of their portion of the presentation. (Scroll down to 10:02.)

becca5

becca5

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 12:51 PM

The cast and producers appeared at the TV critics press tour thing yesterday. Here's a writeup of their portion of the presentation. (Scroll down to 10:02.)

I wasn't really intrigued by this show (though I might have checked it out for the cast), but now that I've read that tvguide piece, I am dying to know what the big twist is.

Anyone know?

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 12:59 PM

I'm unspoiled, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the smooth, worry-free path to marriage for Main Couple #1 will run aground when Single Male Protagonist falls in love with MC #1's female half, and MC #1's male half falls for SMP's new galfriend. Wackiness ensues. Just a guess, mind you.

EONdc

EONdc

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2005 @ 1:23 PM

I'm so glad to see that NPH is still able to get cast as a straight man.

I actually had no idea he wasn't straight, and I bet he can still get cast as a straight man because there are a lot of other not-so-bright people like me out in the world.

My theory on the twist is a bit grimmer: Mom = dead. But that's me. I like to go to the dark place.

Edited by EONdc, Jul 20, 2005 @ 1:27 PM.