Everwood

• Please log in to reply

8765 replies to this topic

Wild Roses

Wild Roses

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2008 @ 1:46 AM

For the precious few who don't own season 1, amazon.com has it on sale for $14.99!

I'm wondering if this WB website is the reason why EW hasn't come back on ABCFamily? It is still up on their website though under the syndicated shows.

I'm quite excited to be able to see it online. I really miss season 3 especially.

Dirty Sexy Money is great fun. Quite the anecdote the sugary Eli Stone.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 3:18 PM

Since it's been about two months since the last update, thought I'd let people know that the "Land of Confusion" recap has finally been posted. Enjoy.

I'm wondering if this WB website is the reason why EW hasn't come back on ABCFamily? It is still up on their website though under the syndicated shows.

It's as good a guess as any, but then, the WB site will also feature Gilmore Girls, which hasn't left ABC Family's rotation since it started there a few years ago. But there were some weird issues with that show, where ABC Fam held off on showing the final season because the DVD of it hadn't been released yet, so, you could be on to something.

dannymoon

dannymoon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2008 @ 7:32 PM

Part of my love might be because it ended in Season 4 and didn't have time to turn into the train wreaks.

I always sort of wondered that too.

I own season #1 and while I love it, there's definitely a cheese factor overall going on (not in all episodes), and to me, it seemed to decrease each season. Maybe it was the writing during the first season, maybe it's the fact that Irv's voiceovers disappeared. I don't know, I just REALLY wish I could buy the remaining 3 seasons. The 4 together were great.

I don't know if I've ever cried watching any other show. This was the first and only so far.

Edited by dannymoon, Mar 23, 2008 @ 7:42 PM.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2008 @ 3:54 AM

So, I watched Medium (which actually turned out to be a pretty good show), and Sarah Drew's character was something like the anti-Hannah. Though honestly, in all of the non-Everwood roles I've seen her in (Wonderfalls, Cold Case, SVU, and, um, Radio shut up I only watched it for her and Ed Harris), she manages to present herself as a completely different character each time, which is astounding to me. [/end PSA from the Sarah Drew fandom, population < 5]

Incidentally, Brenda Baxworth was also in tonight's Medium, though this is unsurprising given that Lee Garlington's appeared in roughly 70% of television shows ever made.

dannymoon - you know, I think you're right about that cheese decrease thing. S1 is actually my least favorite, for a handful of reasons but not least of all because it seems to veer a little too much towards the syrupy at times (Deer God is especially guilty of this), though this trend lessened over the course of the season. S2 was a big improvement in this regard, but it still had the 'fairy tale' aspect of Irv's narration. While that had its charms, I prefer the more...realistic? tone of the last two seasons.

Edited by veritykindle85, Mar 25, 2008 @ 3:59 AM.

Taryn74

Taryn74

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2008 @ 8:19 PM

I don't know if I've ever cried watching any other show. This was the first and only so far.

I'm a habitual crier, but Everwood is the only show that has consistently left me in sobs. Seriously, I think I watched each episode of the first season with a box of tissues within reach.

Since it's been about two months since the last update, thought I'd let people know that the "Land of Confusion" recap has finally been posted. Enjoy.

I just finished reading it before coming here. Great job! Made me wanna go choke YarnHo and Bright all over again, while managing to feel sorry for the big friggin' idiot all at the same time.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2008 @ 8:54 PM

I'm a habitual crier, but Everwood is the only show that has consistently left me in sobs. Seriously, I think I watched each episode of the first season with a box of tissues within reach.

Definately agree with you on this. Although my ultimate Everwood cry moment was in the third season when Ephram tells Treat that he and Deliah should move back to NY when he attends Juliard.

The only show that comes close to tearing me up now is Brothers and Sisters.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 1:11 AM

Great job! Made me wanna go choke YarnHo and Bright all over again, while managing to feel sorry for the big friggin' idiot all at the same time.

Heh, thanks. That was what I was going for. And if you liked the emotional turmoil generated by this recap, you'll love the final five!

Man, I'm not much of a crier, but Everwood remains the only show to make me teary, at least on a consistent basis. I haven't yet found a suitably emotionally-draining replacement for it.

angiekins

angiekins

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 12:54 PM

Man, I'm not much of a crier, but Everwood remains the only show to make me teary, at least on a consistent basis. I haven't yet found a suitably emotionally-draining replacement for it

Try "Friday Night Lights"! Everwood and FNL both make me cry. FNL season one is almost complete perfection but have your tissues ready!

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

Thanks to you guys, I have spent the last 3 days at work reading ALL of the S1-3 recaps here.

Can someone point me towards someone who has done S4? It would be by me, much appreciated.

shadowmagist

shadowmagist

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 3:44 PM

A Kiss To Build A Dream On--Part 1, brought to you by VerityKindle's blog: SurpringlyShallow

Most of them are up and are as snakry as AB's were. Just a tad lengthier. ;)

Edited by shadowmagist, Mar 28, 2008 @ 3:45 PM.

PepSinger

PepSinger

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

Yeah, this show really did have a way with pulling on the heartstrings. I know for me, the episode that makes me cry throughout the whole thing is S3's "Oh, The Places You'll Go".

serenity5x5

serenity5x5

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2008 @ 8:45 AM

One moment that never fails to bring tears to my eyes is in Foreverwood when Delia is dedicating a candle to Julia. It's so heartbreaking and sad about how she and her mom used to talk about what this day would be like, and yet so lovely and beautiful because everybody is so mature now and they've all gone through a lot, and look how far they've come.

Kate60580

Kate60580

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

Hi, everybody! Boy, it's been a while since I've posted anything about Everwood, but I just stopped by the thread and it's so nice to see people talking about it. I've been thinking about introducing my roommates to the show via the S1 box set, and I'm still holding out hope for the rest of the seasons to come out, or to see them on this WB website or whatever.

On the subject of episodes that made me cry... Foreverwood did, for sure. I bawled at the end because I truly did not want the series to be ending. Also The Last of Summer (S2 premiere), and particular scenes that stand out in my mind are from S3's Staking Claim when Andy and Edna part ways, and from Oh The Places You'll Go, when Ephram reads his mother's letter. It was slightly shocking to hear from Julia then, even though it was a totally logical time for it to happen. I miss Everwood!

Incidentally, the show I moved on to was The Office... so different from Everwood (first time I've ever claimed a comedy as my favorite show!), yet right up there with it in terms of quality. Sigh.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2008 @ 8:41 PM

Heh. I saw this linked on the Gilmore Girls board and thought it was rather amusing. An Ode to The WB

I rather envy those who've found new shows to move on to -- I've tried a number of the most acclaimed, but could never get into any of them. Actually, the only new show since Everwood's cancellation that I really enjoyed was Journeyman, which wasn't perfect, but was developing into a really nice character- and relationship-based drama (with sci-fi elements). And that was canceled back in December, so it's back to square one, I suppose.

shadowmagist

shadowmagist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

I haven't really found anything that got me going as much as Everwood did--I still have my other favs, How I Met Your Mother, Supernatural, etc..nothing new that's really come out has attracted me...maybe Greek or Pushing Daisies. They're a must see for sure...but its not the same kind of must see, you know? Berlanti has been disappointing in his ABC endeavours, Dirty Sexy Money interests me none in the least, I'm going to give up Eli Stone, for many a reason. The hell is going on in tv-land?

This coming fall doesn't look too good either, hopefully that'll change. So far I have Rina's pilot to look forward to, but the premise is seriously hampering my excitement. *sigh*

Edited by shadowmagist, Apr 11, 2008 @ 10:13 PM.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2008 @ 10:09 PM

Stephanie Niznik just popped up as a very non-Nina-like character (who had a teenage daughter named Hannah!) on CSI: Miami (my mother watches it, okay?). Dang, that makes the third Everwood alum to show up on a Monday 10/9 central show this season. Perhaps Louise will soon appear on The Bachelor or something.

ETA: Of course this just ended up being a top-of-the-page post.

Edited by veritykindle85, Apr 21, 2008 @ 10:10 PM.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2008 @ 2:47 AM

(Yeah, two posts in a row, but it's been 3 days, so...)

I've become hooked on this topic after spending perhaps a little too much time on the Gilmore Girls fora, but here's something that hasn't really been discussed here, or, at least, not any time recently:

What are everyone's 5 or 6 favorite episodes from each season? Kind of a large number, true, but I've already thought of about 8-10 each from Seasons 3 and 4 alone! (Seasons 1 and 2, though, are taking a little more thought.)

RandomNation

RandomNation

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2008 @ 10:01 PM

This thread is so dead. *sigh* WB needs to hurry up with the website.

I saw SN on CSI: Miami and truth be told, it wasn't worth it. If I had known it was gonna be 2 scenes, I might have skipped it. Plus David Caruso seriously put me in a funk. He is...bad. Lol.

Season 1 favorites: Pilot, The Kissing Bridge, Vegetative State, The Unveiling, Home.

Season 2: The Last of Summer, Daddy's Little Girl, the madison/ephram break up eppy, Unspoken Truths, Your Future Awaits, The Day Is Done.

*thinks about season 3/4*

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

Ugh, I know. The place was hopping in the halcyon days of the ABC Family syndication run.

My list:

Season 1

I haven't watched Seasons 1 or 2 in about a year-and-a-half, since the ABC Fam airings, so these are basically the episodes I remember enjoying (is "enjoy" the right word to use when discussing Home or The Last of Summer?) the most.

- Pilot
- We Hold These Truths
- Is There a Doctor in the House?
- The Unveiling
- Home

Season 2

- The Last of Summer
- Extra Ordinary (the episode that made me a confirmed Bright-lover)
- Blind Faith
- Family Dynamics (the Abbott material is amazing)
- Last Looks
- Your Future Awaits

Honorable mentions to Just Like in the Movies (for Bright + karaoke purposes) and Do or Die.

Season 3

- Best Laid Plans (The sex talk tea party! Jokes about ketchup inbreeding! It's all so lovely.)
- The Perfect Day (Ephram and Bright's conversation about all the tragedy the younger set have had to endure affects me to almost OtPYG proportions)
- Since You've Been Gone (solely for B/H, but what they have is great enough to negate the fact that the ep is Amanda-centric)
- Surprise (the conclusion to a three-episode run -- starting with The Perfect Day -- that is, to me, pretty much near-perfect, especially when I can fast-forward through the Amanda scenes)
- He Who Hesitates (tragedy + romantic comedy = emotionally draining, but in a fun, upbeat kind of way! And then...)
- Oh, the Places You'll Go (...will crush any lingering joy, but in such a beautifully cathartic way.)

Honorable mentions to Staking Claim (the disastrous double/blind date, and "I'm surprisingly shallow," which, yeah, provided a blog title) and Giving Up the Girl (an Amy storyline I actually love a lot, Delia's entry into biological womanhood [Ephram: "DAAAAD!" -- hee], and the Amy/Delia scene, of which there weren't enough in the series).

Season Four

- Lost and Found (one of my favorite episodes of television, ever, for some reason. It just makes me so happy.)
- Across the Lines (wonderful balance -- very funny, but there's also lots of nice foreshadowing for the big-time drama that will occupy the final seven episodes)
- Truth
- Enjoy the Ride (I just looked back at my post from the day after this ep first aired -- which, incidentally, was also the day we got the cancellation news -- and I remarked that "I didn't even care for last night's episode (with the exception of the MEoW)..." Heh. After my second viewing, during the ABC Fam run, I developed a better appreciation for the storylines that didn't involve Justin Kirk.)
- Goodbye, Love
- Foreverwood (which counts as only one ep, I don't care what they do in syndication)

Honorable mentions to The Next Step and Connect Four, which are both awesome, Connect Four especially, but the second half of the season was just incredibly strong.

Edited by veritykindle85, Apr 27, 2008 @ 1:39 AM.

SportsGirl

SportsGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

Terrific list!

And, oh, it's been way to freakin' long since I've been able to watch Everwood for me to be able to form a coherent list (which right now would be filled with stuff like "that episode where Andy is teaching Ephram to drive in that parking lot and he tells them why they came to Everwood and then I cry like a small child" or "the one with the DeVotchKa song.") Which I think just underscores the point that either a) the WB needs to hurry up and get that website up and running, or b) release our DVDs. Preferably both. I'm getting sick of saying to people, "I think you need to watch this great show, but oh, wait, you can't."

RandomNation

RandomNation

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 10:19 AM

The site is coming, the site is coming!

Warner to announce plans for online site later in the afternoon

On Monday, Warner Brothers is expected to add a new twist, announcing the rebirth of the WB broadcast network as an Internet destination and offering programs like “Everwood” online.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 12:12 PM

If only they'd release the remaining three seasons on DVD.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

They must be making some kind of calculation about whether DVDs or on-line streams make more money, is all I can think of.

serenity5x5

serenity5x5

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 2:16 PM

Favorites List:

Season 1:
-Pilot (This episode felt so much like a movie, something tragic and beautiful, that sets up the entire premise of the show so beautifully. I love the opening shot of New York, the credits with the country music, and the last scene with Andy and Ephram at the piano touches me every single time)
-The Great Doctor Brown (Great follow-up from the pilot)
-Til Death Do Us Part (It's sad. I'm a sucker for sad things)
-The Unveiling (Deals with family dynamics in a very realistic way, plus one of my favorite piano pieces Ephram plays)
-Home (The Cathedrals montage is beautiful)

Season 2:
-The Last of Summer
-Just Like in the Movies (Treat singing! Bright singing!)
-Your Future Awaits
-The Day is Done

Season 3:
-Shoot The Moon (One of my favorite lines from the series: Patch - "I've wanted to [play], but as with surgery, I was born with the ear, but not the hands." I really identify with him in this moment. Also, the college tours remind me of my own, and Ephram's "Defy the dragon, defy fear" monologue at the end)
-Best Laid Plans
-A Mountain Town (They lay on the angst and tension so well)
-Acceptance (Amy: "It's just that I was always thinking about us." Aww.)
-He Who Hesitates ("Just say it fast")
-Oh the Places You'll Go
Man, season 3 had a lot of awesome episodes

Season 4:
-Lost and Found (I love it when Bright and Hannah go with Ephram to Will's funeral. Such supportive friends)
-The Land of Confusion (Ephram's piano future is finally settled in an awesome way)
-Truth (The return of Ephram and Amy! Plus sad Bright)
-All the Lonely People (Really touching episode, deals with suicide in a poignant and realistic way)
-Goodbye Love
-Foreverwood

Hmm, looking back, I realize that season 2 IMO wasn't that great. There was a nice story arc with Amy's depression and I loved Bright and Ephram's friendship, but I couldn't really think of a lot of outstanding stand-alone episodes. Interesting. I think my favorite seasons have to be 1, then 3, 4, and finally 2.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 4:43 PM

Ooh, "Shoot the Moon." That's a great one that I forgot about -- love the Ephram/Harold scene. I could probably compile a list just of my favorite episodes related to Ephram/piano, though, heh.

So, skimming that article linked above, I think the fact that Everwood is the only WB show singled out for mention should count for something, DVD people. It's rather excruciating that things like the new Bionic Woman, for Pete's sake, are out and we're still waiting on seasons 2-4.

Edited by veritykindle85, Apr 28, 2008 @ 4:43 PM.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 6:27 PM

Well I think the fact that Caroline in the City is getting dvd releases yet we are screwed for the final 3 seasons should say alot...and not in the good way.

Wild Roses

Wild Roses

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 9:27 PM

I never thought I see the day where I would say this, but I'm glad Everwood remained as underrated a show as it. God knows what happened to Greg Berlanti since he got contracted to work for ABC, but he is no longer a tv god to me. Fame seems to have ruined his ability to do good storytelling. [Brothers and Sisters debacle which he created. Otherwise known as the infamous 10 Minutes of Stunned Silence.]

But, if he ever uses his fame to get EW released on dvd, I might be able to forgive him.

I'm so excited to see EW again. I can't wait for that online site!

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2008 @ 10:33 PM

Oh, Wild Roses, I'm not a Brothers & Sisters viewer, but I do like to keep tabs on Berlanti's (and Everwood alumni's) various projects, and I'm sorry for you guys. Reading about it earlier, it occurred to me how great it was that EW got canceled before we ever had the need to curse any of its creators. It also occurred to me that, if what happened on B&S is truly representative of Berlanti's creative vision, then perhaps Rina Mimoun was more important that any of us previously realized.

Edited by veritykindle85, Apr 28, 2008 @ 10:34 PM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

It also occurred to me that, if what happened on B&S is truly representative of Berlanti's creative vision, then perhaps Rina Mimoun was more important that any of us previously realized.

I'm very happy she didn't do something as insanely stupid as make Bright adopted since Chris and Emily were dating when she was showrunner.

veritykindle85

veritykindle85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2008 @ 2:01 AM

Bwah! Hey, now wait....there was Bill Schmicker in "Across the Lines," the guy from Rose's cancer support group who fell head over heels for her. Perhaps it could have been discovered in S5 that he and Rose had engaged in a torrid affair back in the mid-'80s, which resulted in Bright. This could have been followed by the revelation that Amy was actually the product of some liason between Harold and Louise, all of which would have totally explained the friction between Harold/Bright and Rose/Amy -- it wasn't normal family dynamics, it was a sense that there was just something missing there. And, hey! There was that talk about Ephram/Hannah, thus freeing up the now totally-unrelated Amy and Bright...dude. I have just grossed myself out.