Everwood

• Please log in to reply

8765 replies to this topic

AB Chao

AB Chao

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 8:29 PM

This is the end, beautiful friends. From thewb.com:

With Ephram (Gregory Smith, who does not appear in the episode) gone and no longer feeling any significant ties to Everwood, Andy (Treat Williams) consults with Delia (Vivien Cardone) and contemplates accepting a prestigious position with a Chicago hospital. Uncharacteristically upset over this bit of news, Harold (Tom Amandes) takes it upon himself to give Andy a reason to stay. Meanwhile, Jake (Scott Wolf) moves in with Nina (Stephanie Niznik), causing Andy (Treat Williams) to question whether he should rock the boat by telling her how he really feels, and Bright (Chris Pratt) finally admits his feelings to Hannah (Sarah Drew).

Emily VanCamp, Debra Mooney, John Beasley and Merrilyn Gann also star. Rina Mimoun and Michael Green wrote the episode directed by David Petrarca.

smijca

smijca

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:02 PM

Bright and Hannah kiss? HOT!.

Andy and Nina kiss? Meh.

Dr. McDimples isn't as warm and fuzzy and I totally saw shades of his going all abuser on her sometime next season. Creepy.

Mama Abbott, she lives!

How cool was it to have all the MEOWS in one room? And no one really fed Andy's ego! Hee.

All in all, a nice ep (especially with the lack of Ephram).

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:05 PM

It was literally less than 30 seconds into the episode that I started outright weeping, and that continued through the credits, but that was the last of the tears until Rose told Treat to stay in Everwood. So all in all, less emotional for me than last week, I think, but still a tearjerker.

I was kind of surprised that they started out with Rose's surgery, thinking there would be more build-up, but man, they sure had a lot of stuff to get through in this episode. Rose's surgery, Hannah breaking up with Topher, Bright and Hannah getting together, Jake moving in with Nina, Treat confessing his feelings. It was a busy episode.

I thought the whole gathering of former patients pleading with Treat to stay was a bit twee, but when Rose showed up I completely lost it, so I guess that scene worked on me afterall. Although, I definitely could've done without the bear in the office.

So, I was skeptical about Bright and Hannah, but Bright was so cute tonight, and so adorably nervous when he finally went for it with Hannah that I couldn't help but love it. And I loved that his confession basically amounted to "You got HOT!". Love him.

Also, Delia has a boyfriend! Oh, they grow up so fast. I miss the little girl in the baseball cap.

And in this week of confessions of love (Bright to Hannah, Treat to Nina, Delia to Ethan), by far the best confession of all was Patch's confession of love for Treat. When he was talking about how he was his best friend and made his life better (by ruining it), was I the only one who thought it wouldn't have been inappropriate for him to grab Treat and kiss him? I swear, that was one hot scene.

Edited by smrou, May 23, 2005 @ 9:07 PM.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Looks like Nina should call up the Salingers so they can do another intervention. How lame!

PrytaniaSpinster

PrytaniaSpinster

Loyal Viewer

How neat to see John Savage, Treat's old buddy from Hair. Was he really a MEOW once or was that just a cameo?

cocomovan

cocomovan

Couch Potato

Aw I really liked this episiode. There was no big cliffhanger as to whether or not Rose would live, I really thought that after the credits, the rest of the epp would take place eariler on in the week.

Bright and Hannah were awesome, they actually made me squeal with delight when they kissed. They are my favorite tv couple.

Melvis

Melvis

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:06 PM

Oh, the Everwood love I am feeling tonight! Is it just because GS wasn't in this ep at all?

NO! It was everything else. So many great Bright lines ("Shasta McSpastic" being my favorite), Patch's Party sucking wind, Rose once again saving his ass by 'making' Dr. Brown stay, Delia growing up (sniffle), Patch telling Amy, "I trust you" -- tears on that one, people.

And I even got into the Treat/Nina love at the end! I couldn't really see it before, but, hey, his speech persuaded me! Now we'lll see if it affected Nina.

Dalloway

Dalloway

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:07 PM

OH. MY. The hotness of the Bright/Hannah kiss was SO extreme that I'm having trouble focusing long enough to spell everything in this post correctly.

*SWOON*

Great acting all around. My sister (my partner in Everwood watching crime and the person who dances around the living room with me when the episodes are JUST THIS GOOD) particularly liked Andy's line about "We missed our moment." Such a genuine line.

And, of course, the Amy/Patch relationship was touching as always.

Wow. So what was up with the bear? (Mountain man was funny, though. Good continuity with STD business man, too. "It bought us another 6 months!" Hilarious!)

And -- how many people think Dimples was lying about the Percocet?

I'm going to go home rewind the Bright/Hannah kiss over and over again. And then I'll watch it again.

HOT!

dapwilson

dapwilson

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:06 PM

Okay, this will get me shot, tarred, and feathered, but I have to express my opinions:

Totally classless for Andy to tell Nina how he feels about her while she is in a relationship with another man. Totally classless of Nina to make assumptions about Jake without talking to him. Personally, I donít think she deserves to be with him. Jake deserves someone who loves him totally Ė I donít think Nina does. Or ever did, really. Even if he is taking prescription drugs, you talk to him about it! Not Andy Ė at least wait until you talk to Jake.

If I had any doubts about the Hannah/Bright relationship, I have none now. They have absolutely no chemistry, IMO. That kiss was not even half-passionate to me.

Pooor Topher. I guess the writers had to make him a bumbling twit to make room for Bright. He had such potential. Plus, Hannah didnít specifically say they should break up, although it was heavily implied. I guess Topher does better with straight talk.

Love Delia! She is wise beyond her years.

Props to Amy for making a hard decision. Iím sure sheíll do well.

Glad Rose is doing better Ė hope her recovery continues upward!

All in all, a rather boring finale in my opinion. The only characters I appreciated were Patch, Amy, and Delia.

raining azure

raining azure

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:08 PM

Bright + Hannah = <3 <3 <3

Topher: "Um, we broke up?" (Laughing my head off at this point.)

Oh, and I loved the part when Amy's like, "Oh my God.. you like Hannah!"

helloearth

helloearth

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:08 PM

Bright and Hannah: was I the only one yelling at the t.v. for Topher to leave when Bright pulled up in front of Nina's?

I wish that, when Nina was telling Treat how crazy her day had been she had mentioned that she hadn't had to take Hannah to the airport after all. Hello!

Jake: I totally think that Jake has a dark side we haven't seen yet. I mean, just how well does Nina really know this guy, anyway? The temper and the Percocet were really setting off alarm bells.

Patch and Rose: Tears, just tears and tears. When he was praying in the bathroom and when she came to the party to tell Treat he wasn't leaving. Here I go again.

And the bear in the office was great!

Nereyd

Nereyd

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:13 PM

Bright and Hannah kissed! Bright and Hannah kissed! Bright and Hannah kissed! Bright and Hannah kissed! Bright and Hannah kissed! Bright and Hannah kissed!

...And then Andy kissed Nina and I started cussing. Andy, that was definitely selfish.

I was so scared that they were going to make Dimples an asshat with the remote scene so they could hook Andy and Nina up without too much resistance. I really hope they don't go that route. Don't mess with the Ninja, Berlanti.

Someday, I will watch the scene where Amy finds out that Bright likes Hannah and the scene on House where Wilson learns House might have feelings for Cameron and compare and comtrast thier faces.

Damn you, Berlanti, for making me cry before the credits.

Overall, it was pretty good. I'm still squeeing over Bright and Hannah, even though I was originally opposed to them.

Jack See

Jack See

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

Andy Brown is one selfish S.O.B.

That is all.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

Oh, and I loved the part when Amy's like, "Oh my God.. you like Hannah!"

Oh, that was great. That was probably my favorite scene, actually. Amy and Bright were fantastic together tonight. EVC and Chris Pratt have great sister/brother chemistry.

smijca

smijca

Couch Potato

dapwilson: [Bright an Hannah] have absolutely no chemistry

I know that the viewing experience is totally subjective and all but IMHO, they've had loads of chemistry from the get-go and I completely agreed with Hannah about the feelin' "sweaty" because that? Was one damn hot kiss! Hee.

Now, Nina and Andy, on the other hand don't even have a tenth of the chemistry that I saw between Bright and Hannah. I was thinking the whole way through "okay, aren't you with McDimples, though he probably scared the hell outta you with his Dr. Jekyll routine so I wouldn't blame you if you wanted out but with ANDY?...ew." Yeah, they weren't really doing much for me.

YMMV, of course.

Having said that, Patch and Amy always rock in their scenes together and seeing Rose at the "bon voyage" party totally rocked. And I can't believe that I missed saying this but I was totallycrying when Patch was asking God to make things right. And I know I must not have been the only one thinking "God's probably a lot less busy now that JoA's been cancelled so you have a pretty good shot in getting your prayer answered, Patch."

Definitely not as great as last week's ep but pretty good all around.

Edited by smijca, May 23, 2005 @ 9:15 PM.

TartnotSweet

TartnotSweet

Couch Potato

All in all, a nice ep

It was, wasn't it? I dunno, but I guess I was expecting something more than nice from a season finale. Maybe dramatic, touching, tear-jerking? I think last week's cry-fest set the bar pretty high; I had big expectations that this episode would somehow even top that. I even stocked up on Kleenex! Berlanti faked us all out, though. He took things in an totally different, pretty upbeat direction. Well played, monsieur. Okay, except for the part where Treat considers moving to Chicago for all of two commercial breaks, that was lame.

haleyj

haleyj

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:14 PM

I was bawling the whole time.

Amy and Bright are the cutest brother and sister on TV. Her reaction to realizing Bright's feelings for Hannah were spot on.

Patch made me cry twice, when he told Treat that he needed him to stay..." You're my best friend". Wah! Also, lost it when he told Amy he trusted her. Personally, I think it's totally normal to defer a year when your mom has cancer.

Delia is so cute. I love her.

I want to date Bright...his confession to Hannah is going to send me to the Moments That Make You Go Hell Yeah! Thread.

As to Andy and Nina, having not told someone how I felt about them in the past, I can understand his doing it. My father always says..."It's not over until someone says I do." The only thing that rang false for me was making something wrong with Jake. I thought it wuld have been more honest if Nina had to pick between two people as they were.

P.S. Loved Treat's cataloguing of his screwups. So funny.

oxymoron417

oxymoron417

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:14 PM

Great episode, screamed "aww" many a time during the episode, although is it sad that I really didn't miss Ephram?

Loved the Bright/Hannah kiss but I did feel bad for Topher, I mean he did get dumped...twice.

I also have to say I didn't think I'd see the day where I could actually say how much I admire Amy. The girl has really grown up in these past three years.

Yay! Rose lives! Tears fell when Harold was telling God to "fix her." Although as much as I love Rose and Harold, and think that Nina and Andy will eventually wind up together, I was secretely hoping for a Harold/Treat kiss. Bring on the HoYay!

Evergreen

Evergreen

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:16 PM

EVC's acting, especially with Bright, was amazing. I was squealing with delight at how good she is. Is she trained/educated as an actress?

The one thing I don't like is how these shows, for the sake of convenience, contrive all their high school seniors away from college. IRL, Ephram would be going to Juilliard and Amy would be going to Princeton, no but's about it. My father is chronically, terribly sick but me and my twin sister are both getting our butts to college next year! [Granted, I'll be 40 minutes away and she'll be three hours away.]
I just hate how Willow would've gone to Oxford, and all the kids on The O.C. would be seniors in high school this year because they were juniors last year, but now they're "mysteriously" written as juniors again for convenience, etc...

But seriously. EVC rocks.

Edited by Evergreen, May 23, 2005 @ 9:17 PM.

captain sam

captain sam

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:16 PM

Emily van Camp made the most awesome facial expression ever in the hospital when Amy was figuring out why Bright was acting so shifty. It was the perfect "Now what in--who--no--wait a minute--HOLY HANNAH" face.

And shut up, Andy. (I had to say it to one of the Brown men, and Ephram's not around this week [thank goodness].)

ETA: Rose lives! Whew. (Don't you dare make me eat my words, Berlanti.)

Edited by captain sam, May 23, 2005 @ 9:20 PM.

sickitten

sickitten

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:18 PM

Tears while Patch prayed, tears while Rose told Andy to stay, also when Bright and Hannah finally got their stuff together.

Glad the episode ended on a good note, Berlanti and I would have had some words if things went down the toilet.

Ian

Ian

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:20 PM

dapwilson: Okay, this will get me shot, tarred, and feathered, but I have to express my opinions:

Totally classless for Andy to tell Nina how he feels about her while she is in a relationship with another man. Totally classless of Nina to make assumptions about Jake without talking to him. Personally, I donít think she deserves to be with him. Jake deserves someone who loves him totally Ė I donít think Nina does. Or ever did, really. Even if he is taking prescription drugs, you talk to him about it! Not Andy Ė at least wait until you talk to Jake.

I'll join you--I've always wanted to be shot--although I will skip the tarring--I've learned from Deadwood that it can be quite painful. You know, of the 40 minutes of the show, I can confidently say I loved 32 of them. But still...Fuck you, Berlanti. You had a good thing with Nina and Jake. Why, why, why did you have to ruin it, and assasinate Jake and Nina's characters in the process? (Dr. Brown's actions, while inexcusable, were completely in character)

On the other hand...

Bright and Anna? Swoon. I wish Topher had been dealt with more fairly--he's really not a bad catch at all--but that kiss!

The farewell party? Sweet, and it was nice to see previous MEOW--even if the only one I actually recognized was the cutie with the stutter. And did my eyes decieve me, or was there actually a fourth black man in Everwood?

Amy's moment of inspiration when she realized that Bright liked Hannah? Priceless.

Edited by Ian, May 23, 2005 @ 9:36 PM.

stefunnyo

stefunnyo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:20 PM

Oh, it was just so fitting to have poor Jake cluelessly and merrily bringing his boxes in as dumbo Treat does what he thinks is the right thing by kissing his girlfriend. Shame on you Treat! You had your chance! Nina, wake up! Jake is the best boyfriend ever!

Boy Amy has come a long way this year. Good for her. I know that the show would be hard with her in Princeton, so she kinda had to stay somehow, but I really felt it rang true and showed how close she's been with her family this year.

Pushing Bright and yelling "you're so lame!" was hilarious.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

Bright and Hannah's kiss was definitely the highlight of the episode for me. I love how Bright was trying to explain how he felt, failed miserably, made a throaty "Ahhh..." sound, and then just grabbed her and kissed her. I thought it was adorable and the closeups made it even hotter. I like the two of them together.

What is with this sudden darkening of Dimples' character? We knew about the financial problems and prescription problems from his old job, but now he has to have a new problem, just so that Nina and Treat can eventually be together? I didn't like that. Why not just let Nina find out for herself that she doesn't like Dimples as much as Treat without introducing a new issue into the mix? I didn't like Treat's declaration of his feelings for Nina, followed by a kiss ON HER FRONT LAWN, where Dimples could pop up and see them. I'm sure we were supposed to be swooning over all of that, but I didn't like it. I did like, though, how Nina didn't just pick Treat and really seemed conflicted going into the end of the episode. I would have been pissed if she had just tossed aside Dimples after all of that buildup.

I thought the whole gathering of former patients pleading with Treat to stay was a bit twee, but when Rose showed up I completely lost it, so I guess that scene worked on me afterall. Although, I definitely could've done without the bear in the office.

I'd have to say that the former patients bit was the only major misstep of this episode, that is, until Rose showed up. Everyone else... meh. I really didn't care. And that bear was just too much.

When Treat said that he had to talk to someone else about a possible move to Chicago, did anyone else immediately think that he was going to ask Nina about it before Delia? I did. I'm surprised that Treat even asked Delia about it. But it was nice of him to acknowledge the pony agreement from the Everwood move.

I didn't miss Ephram at all.

dapwilson

dapwilson

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:22 PM

Dr. McDimples isn't as warm and fuzzy and I totally saw shades of his going all abuser on her sometime next season. Creepy.

I respectfully disagree - I think he was frustrated b/c he could sense something was wrong, but Nina wouldn't talk to him about it. When you're moving into someone's place, it's not the best feeling to have. So, he shows anger or frustration one time, and he has the makings of an abuser?

As far as him lying about the prescription drugs, I wouldn't be surprised. Besides, there has to be some kind of contrived plot to get him out of the picture and Andy and Nina into each other's arms.

I think Andy and Nina do have chemistry, but the writers, IMO, rushed the whole Andy realizing Nina was in love with him bit to get to the season finale. And Nina? She had my respect, until this episode. If Nina & Jake do break up, I say more power to Jake. If he does indeed have a problem with prescription drugs, I hope he gets help. I still think he's a great guy. I'd take him over Andy any day. At least Jake appreciates a good woman (well, she was) when she sees one, and doesn't wait until she is in a full-fledged relationship to tell her how he feels.

OK - I am ducking as the tomatoes fly by my head!

Hildy

Hildy

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:25 PM

Totally classless for Andy to tell Nina how he feels about her while she is in a relationship with another man.

Completely classless and self absorbed. Andy should come equipped with a giant neon dunce cap festooned in blinking lights that proclaim, "Danger! Asshat who filters any and all events through his own enormous ego lives here!"
Hello: Let's waltz up to Delia and blithely proclaim that he's thinking about uprooting the poor girl after she's finally settled down from having a rather awful several years. It shouldn't even be a conversation. He should just look at Delia, and politely decline the job offer. But no, instead he had a conversation all peppered with what he needs and isn't getting. Here's a memo, Andy: Sometimes in life, we make decisions about what's better for those we love, not ourselves. A shocking and rather scandalous thought, I know.

What is with this sudden darkening of Dimples' character? We knew about the financial problems and prescription problems from his old job, but now he has to have a new problem, just so that Nina and Treat can eventually be together? I didn't like that.

COmpletely agree. What is wrong with having Dimples be a good guy, and having Nina have to make a decision with no easy outs, one in which somebody is going to get hurt? I don't like the easy out. I'd prefer to see it shake out as a tough choice, as life decisions generally do.

Edited by Hildy, May 23, 2005 @ 9:31 PM.

Chocletmaltz

Chocletmaltz

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:26 PM

And -- how many people think Dimples was lying about the Percocet?

Hand in the air. There has to be something going on with him. I don't think this show has every really brought in someone for as long as Jake to be just a love interest. There is always some other story going on. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, Beard guy with the bear was in Season 1. He lives in the woods, with the bear, and was tracked down to donate a kidney to his brother. I liked seeing old MEOW's, that was nice. Hey, Martha was there too.

Count me in with the ones that think it is good Amy is delaying college for a year or whatever. Plenty of people do so for many reasons, and I really liked hers. Everything she said with Patch in the hall was spot on. And damn, her high school years did suck.

Nitpicky and stupid, but I went to overnight camp for 9 years and we were only allowed to get phone calls from our parents if we had be sick for days, on a birthday, or had gotten hurt. I mean, I know what Andy was calling for was important, but still....

Yay! Patch loves Andy...that is all.

I think this is a really nice ending to the season. I really enjoyed it and was laughing at points, expect for the beginning when there were tears. But laughing is something I have not done during this show lately. The one thing I would have liked was to see Delia, Bright, or even Amy at least reading a postcard from Ephram, but whatever.

Edited by Chocletmaltz, May 23, 2005 @ 9:30 PM.

Miss Crabtree

Miss Crabtree

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:27 PM

A solid finale, with more out-loud laughs than tears. I guess that's OK. Strange, but OK. Some of the situations were strained for me--Patch's stall prayer (thank you, God, that the toilet had a lid) and the goofy party, which as smrou points out, was turned around by Rose's moment (DY!B). But there was so much delightful stuff--namely any scene with Hannah or Bright, and then both of them. Yowza! Funny, romantic, charming. They're both going to have a long summer.

Delia looked very grown-up. VC is quite the little beauty.

Mark my words. Dr. Dimples is an addict and a practiced liar. Because he and Nina will have to break up next year, right?

And, no, it wasn't a good episode because Ephram wasn't there! Come back, Greg. I'll miss you, I'm sure. Eventually. Soon. Seriously.

helloearth

helloearth

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:27 PM

Pushing Bright and yelling "you're so lame!" was hilarious.

Amy's and Bright's scenes were so great, you could totally believe they were brother and sister. Particularly his comment about smothering her with his bare ass cheeks and her pushing him around in the kitchen.

smijca

smijca

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2005 @ 9:30 PM

dapwilson: So, he shows anger or frustration one time, and he has the makings of an abuser?

Not at all. It was a combination of the tossing the remote control (definitely anger issues) and then his speech about how he was already frustrated about other things and then this "thing" with Nina was adding to it all (which I could easily imagine this turning into his justification for getting abusive, if Berlanti does indeed choose to go this route). All IMHO of course because that scene was just really unsettling to me. Kudos to SN for playing Nina's reaction so subtly that you could easily miss it: she was definitely startled (maybe even a little frightened) by Dr. McDimple's outburst and I couldn't help but think that her "smile" after he was done and was back to his old "charming" self was somewhat forced. I know *I* was creeped out by it all, especially with his whole "I don't have the energy to play the charming act" (paraphrased but I think I got the gist of it).

Definitely not getting any flying tomatoes from me, dapwilson, especially not when this site's all about the lack of pity for the mighty big television. ;)

Edited by smijca, May 23, 2005 @ 9:35 PM.