2-12: "Boy The Earth Talks To" 2005.05.22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

394 replies to this topic

weasleywoman

weasleywoman

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 8:59 PM

A+ episode. Just perfect. Closing off enough and leaving enough open to work on next season. I laughed, I cried...it was perfect.

If Andy's knife doesn't kill Cy, Hearst's man will.

The wedding and the reception were just fantastic. I wanted to be there! It's amazing how everybody was so happy at what could have been a really tense occasion. And Trixie looked beautiful in that pink dress.

drastic quench

drastic quench

Just Tuned In

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:00 PM

Anyone spot NYPD Blue's Gordon Clapp as the haberdasher who supplied the lavender gloves?

Leeeny

Leeeny

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 8:59 PM

I pretty much just hugged a pillow to my chest and yelled at the TV nearly the entire episode....

... and my heart is about to break in two for poor Seth! Oh dear dear.

Edited by Leeeny, May 22, 2005 @ 9:01 PM.

lavalamp

lavalamp

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:00 PM

I am SO big with the LOVE for the show right now. Over the top? Yeah, and and so what? We needed it!

IronCastles

IronCastles

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:02 PM

Anyone who saw the finale...so Ellsworth and Alma did tie the knot in this episode?! Wow!

readingallnight

readingallnight

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:03 PM

Loved it loved it loved it.

But there was one scene that made me laugh hard enough to pause the TiVo for a minute - near the start when Seth and Martha are sitting in two chairs, facing the closed and curtained windows, I suddenly thought they looked forevermore like there were very patiently waiting for TV to be invented so they could watch the morning news.

biffbulkie

biffbulkie

Just Tuned In

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:02 PM

Andy really isn't clear on the whole ministering thing is he? Tough luck Cy...

tothepoint

tothepoint

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:04 PM

Silas Adams, I think I love you. Seriously, I have this huge smile on my face. The ending was perfect. Two people I wanted to see go, went. I'm not sure who the third person was but I'll figure it out when I watch the repeats.

WobblyHeadedBob

WobblyHeadedBob

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:03 PM

Al Swearagen is a fucking God.

pha1226

pha1226

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:05 PM

I LOVED it! The couples..."Whitney" & Alma, Sol & Trixie, Doc & Jewel, Charlie & Jane & Joanie, Al & Wu, Al and the head. "God will not be mocked" Cy! I almost felt bad for Wolcott...that little sob when Hearst was yelling at him. He was the best murdering psychopath on tv. The little squarehead was adorable dancing with Ellsworth!

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:04 PM

Medavoy!

Episode ended similarly to last season, which was nice.

Please, please, please let Cy be dead. Pretty please? Can't.stand.him.at.all.

Can someone gut Farnum next? He's worn my last nerve. I cringe when he's on screen.

I'm kind of sad that Wolcott killed himself. For such a strong character to go out with such a whimper is disappointed.

Swearengen's genius knows no bounds. I'd love to see him on Survivor. He'd give Hatch and Tom a serious run for their money.

Jewel and Trixie were awesome together. Loved that the pin made a re-appearance.

Also loved the Charlie/Joanie/Jane dancing at the end. Look forward to seeing their exploits next season.

Will Alma and Ellsworth be back? Is there any real reason for them to come back (besides overseeing the claim)? Did like the nod to Bram. Glad he wasn't forgotten. Will Alma drop the Garrett now?

All in all, a good episode to end a mediocre (in my mind) season.

Maggie302

Maggie302

Just Tuned In

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:06 PM

The Doc dancing with Jewel made me cry :) and Wolcott hanging made me smile.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:05 PM

Wu kicks all sorts of ass.

This show is so good I wasn't even sure it was Nuttall or Wolcott hanging from that balcony until the closeup.

Ailine

Ailine

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:07 PM

Al muttering, "it's to the right..." really got to me, for some reason. Al's like some sort of malevolent fairy godfather, distributing sluggings and advice and support across the town.

They should just ship McShane the Emmy right now.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:06 PM

Ah, how I love you, CJ. Just decking a guy for looking at you. Perfect!

50 Minute Hour

50 Minute Hour

Channel Surfer

Oh so many unions: Alma and Ellsworth, Al and Seth, Dakota and Deadwood, Hearst and Cy, Al and Wu, Trixie and Sol (old news, but somehow more codified by walking arm and arm together), Al/Wu and Hearst - funny how Al got married so many times over in this episode. What did Wu call it when he held up his twined fingers?

tothepoint

tothepoint

Channel Surfer

It was Wolcott? Are we sure?

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:09 PM

I'm kind of sad that Wolcott killed himself. For such a strong character to go out with such a whimper is disappointed.

Wolcott was murdered by Hearst's man.

pha1226

pha1226

Video Archivist

It was Wolcott? Are we sure?

It was Wolcott's hat.

Wolcott was murdered by Hearst's man

But they made a point of showing the rope in Wolcott's room with him

Edited by pha1226, May 22, 2005 @ 9:12 PM.

drastic quench

drastic quench

Just Tuned In

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:10 PM

This show is so good I wasn't even sure it was Nuttall or Wolcott hanging from that balcony until the closeup.

In an earlier scene with Mr. W there was a shot of a coil of rope on top of his trunk. Great foreshadowing.

Ailine

Ailine

Couch Potato

Are we sure? That looked like he took a gainer off the balcony on his own, and the Hearst man found him afterwards. I think that without the Hearst name behind him, Frances realized he had nothing left, and finally checked out.

SznnMorse

SznnMorse

Couch Potato

I think Andy is sincere in his ministering but was also sincere in getting revenge on Cy - he hadn't forgotten who it was who left him to die in the words. (Funny that CJ didn't remember that he kept saying, "I apologiiiiiize," she said he kept saying he was sorry).

Loved Mose emerging from the dead like Lazarus, just as Wolcott is hanging himself.

There has to be some symmetry as to who survived and who died. Wolcott, Cy (presumably, though he might survive), and Lee - all Hearst's men but men who used brutality to get ahead. Al wins because Al uses strategy - violence when it is warranted, but politics when it will achieve more. I suppose that is part of the reason why he and Hearst got along.

I was trying to figure out what happened E.B. - is he just losing it because he realizes the power in the camp is passing him by or is there something physically wrong with him?

Loved Merrick crying at the wedding - he's such a sensitive soul.

I thought it was pretty clear that Wolcott committed suicide - Hearst's man just got there too late.

Edited by SznnMorse, May 22, 2005 @ 9:10 PM.

lavalamp

lavalamp

Couch Potato

Will Alma and Ellsworth be back?

Where the fuck were they going? That's what I was wondering? To Ellsworth's tent? Around the block, just for show, and then back up to Alma's room?

Did I miss some dialogue about a honeymoon trip? And even in the midst of the huzzahs and fiddlin and celebratin', I had a brief flash of worry about the irony of them getting attacked by road agents

I thought EB on his in the mud out of his mind at Hearst's benevolence was the funniest thing ever but by the end of the show I'd completely forgotten about it, so much other goodness had happened.

Edited by lavalamp, May 22, 2005 @ 9:11 PM.

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Wolcott was murdered by Hearst's man.

Oooh. See that's what I get for posting before rewatching. David Milch is smarter than me. Still, I feel bad - he did go out on with such a whimper.

Leeeny

Leeeny

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

So has Andy's bit as the Reverend been a complete set-up from the get-go, with the object of finding an opportunity to get back at an unprotected Cy for dumping him in the woods??? DogBoy and I both had this cross our minds when Andy pulled out that knife in the middle of the busy wedding reception.

edited to correct spelling - I'm still too wound up to type properly

Edited by Leeeny, May 22, 2005 @ 9:14 PM.

SznnMorse

SznnMorse

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

TV Buffy, no, I am pretty sure you were right the first time, Wolcott killed himself, Hearst's man found him.

Leeny, I don't think it was a set up but I do think he was looking for an opportunity. He obviously has studied enough to perform ceremonies, credibly, so I think he really is a minister - but one with a vengeance! ;-)

I laughed at Alma's eagerness to say "I do."

Edited by SznnMorse, May 22, 2005 @ 9:14 PM.

Maleficent

Maleficent

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2005 @ 9:14 PM

I think my favorite thing about this episode as a season finale was that it allowed significant progression in the storyline as well as cliffhangers without leaving me tense.

Readingallnight said

Loved it loved it loved it.

But there was one scene that made me laugh hard enough to pause the TiVo for a minute - near the start when Seth and Martha are sitting in two chairs, facing the closed and curtained windows, I suddenly thought they looked forevermore like there were very patiently waiting for TV to be invented so they could watch the morning news.

LOL!!

I said the exact same thing to Mr. Maleficent.

pha1226

pha1226

Video Archivist

Did I miss some dialogue about a honeymoon trip?

Did Al say something about them going to Hot Springs?

lavalamp

lavalamp

Couch Potato

Are we sure?

I need to rewatch, but I'm wondering if we're sure about that too? Because earlier we see Walcott, after his talk with Hearst, and the rope is coiled on the settee in the foreground.

Petro45

Petro45

Loyal Viewer

Wolcott killed himself. Hearst's man was looking for him to find out if Cy was telling the truth about the letter (I believe that he was lying - we've never seen such a letter, have we)? Because Wolcott is not alive to repudiate Cy's claim, Cy is going to get away with blackmailing Hearst -- assuming Cy is still alive, of course.