Batman

• Please log in to reply

221 replies to this topic

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 1:28 PM

Reminds me of the Londinium episode where Bruce says they've packed 1000 works of literature, Dick's biological specimens and his personal desk. Dick: "Yes, I expect to get a lot of studying done." Inside, he's about ready to burst, I'm sure.

To quote a meme using a different Joker: "not sure if serious."

The desk, specimens, and literature they took to Londinium was the cover story for the "portable" Batcave.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2011 @ 6:22 PM

I'm sure it was, but the line reading was hilarious. Dick sounded very much like you would expect a teenage boy on vacation to sound if his own personal desk was being shipped so he could study....

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 6:55 AM

Saw The Archer episode again today.

I have to wonder how dense Gordon and O'Hara were. I know Bruce was throwing his voice but there was no way Alfred looked like Batman in that suit.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 9:00 AM

My goodness, Frank Gorshin really hammed it up, didn't he?

Frank Gorshin makes Cesar Romero look like the epitome of understated subtlety. Dude must have been exhausted after a full day of shooting.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

Adam West said that he really enjoyed Gorshin's manic energy and that Gorshin was his favorite guest star.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 7:57 PM

Good to know. "Manic energy" only really begins to cover Gorshin's performance. I loved him as Riddler and although I also love John Astin, I thought he was given impossible shoes to fill when they plugged him in as Riddler. Just... whole lotta nooooooooooo.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2011 @ 2:04 AM

Here's a short video chat with Adam and Burt from Comic Con.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:19 PM

The original series reviewed by Rowdy C for TV Trash. Don't worry, he reviews good TV shows too.

Edited by magicdog, Sep 15, 2011 @ 7:46 AM.

Scrumtrelescent

Scrumtrelescent

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 21, 2011 @ 5:39 AM

Just recently discovered that the Hub is on my cable system. I'm enjoying the show many years later even though we are currently in the much-maligned third season. But I have to love any show with Joan Collins and Ethel Merman on two succeeding episodes.

Yeaaaaah, whose baby are you? Batgirrrl, Batgirl! (sorry, not as catchy a theme song)

Edited by Scrumtrelescent, Oct 21, 2011 @ 5:43 AM.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 8:16 AM

Alright, so the Hub is stuck on those horrible third season episodes. I had to put up with Eartha Kitt last week and then we got into those wretched Londinium episodes with the most boring villains ever dragged out over a three-part episode. I have to admit watching Dick wearing a Beatles wig and banging on the drums in Bruce's study was pretty funny, though.

Then here comes Egghead and Olga again with the dumbest ending. We caught them and put them in the paddy wagon...but they didn't run into it on purpose this time. Nice callback to their previous episode but still a lame way to end the episode...and tomorrow, we're back to Catwoman...again! This time with the Joker.

So this is my third season episode parody.

0:00-2:00 Barbara Gordon runs into the villain.
Credits
3:00-4:00 Batman and Robin are alerted by Commissioner Gordon to the villain's presence, even though they ran into them at the end of the previous episode
4:00-6:00 Villain comes up with the stupidest plot ever
commercial
9:00-16:00: Batman figures out the plan and nearly gets foiled but the villain gets away; cue Batgirl and Alfred.
commercial
19:00-24:00: Batgirl shows up and has to be rescued by Batman and Robin, the villains are caught really quickly or just run away and are caught by the police. Batgirl departs when no one is looking. Oh, lookiee, Barbara Gordon just happens to be here!
commercial
27:00-30:00. All's well that end's well, let's get some rest, Robin. Oh, wait! There's the Joker...or, better yet, some hot Hollywood star that's dying to be on the show so we made up a villain for them. Cue credits

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2011 @ 12:38 PM

I do rather like Eartha Kitt's Catwoman. She really knew how to purr. And despite the stupidity, I can watch Vincent Price in just about anything. The Londinium episodes are pretty awful mainly thanks to the dreary performance of Rudy Vallee, but I do like the fact that the bad girls are chasing Robin rather than Batman for a change.

However, the thing I like best about season three is that Alfred knows everybody's secret identity but Batman and Robin don't know Batgirl's and she doesn't know theirs. Alfred was the smartest person in all of Gotham City-- I know that's not saying a lot, but still Alfred was awesome. If he had ever decided to become a criminal mastermind, the city would be doomed.

I can find stuff to enjoy in all three seasons. Admittedly, I'm mostly laughing at Season 3 rather than with it.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 8:06 AM

Generally that's what I'm doing, too.

Scrumtrelescent

Scrumtrelescent

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 23, 2011 @ 2:37 AM

Anyone know what happened to the two Shame episodes with Cliff Robertson and Dina Merrill? Seems like they skipped ahead to the King Tut episode.

Almost done with the third season.

Edited by Scrumtrelescent, Nov 23, 2011 @ 2:43 AM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

MEtv is playing Batman on Saturdays. I caught the ep in which The Penguin seemed to have reformed, but as it turns out, it was part of his plan to get engaged to a wealthy woman and steal their expensive wedding gifts. Wait, what?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I just caught the Liberace ep. Yeah, I'd never have guess he was gay. LOL

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

MEtv played what I think was the first Mister Freeze ep, in which he kidnapped Miss Iceland and Commissioner Gordon more or less admitted that Batman runs the town and he is but a figurehead.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

ubi, the first Mr Freeze episode was "Rats Like Cheese/Instant Freeze" with George Sanders as Mr Freeze, in season one. The episode involves a Princess, and a baseball player. George Sanders was the best Mr Freeze, IMO, you really felt for the guy, and he was so sophisticated and debonair.

Wordsworth

Wordsworth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

Indeed. George Sanders was such a marvelous actor. I loved that voice!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

I do not remember there being two actors playing Mister Freeze!

This week, The Penguin tries to get arrested so he can pass the signatures of Gotham's rich to a fellow prisoner with the intention of committing the largest check-writing fraud in Gotham's history. I guess he failed to realize they confiscate your stuff when you get booked. This week's death trap: Chief O'Hara locked in a metal footlocker about to be dumped into a swimming pool with electrical wires in it with Penguin's goons armed with machine guns ready to shoot the Dynamic Duo on their arrival.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

I do not remember there being two actors playing Mister Freeze!

There were three actors actually.

There were only three Mr. Freeze "adventures", and everytime there was a different actor.

George Sanders (All About Eve, Ivanhoe, and the voice of Shere Khan)
was Mr. Freeze in the first adventure:
Rats Like Cheese/Instant Freeze (early first season)
http://www.bat-mania...ze_sanders1.jpg

Otto Preminger (director of River of No Return and The Man with the Golden Arm)
was Mr. Freeze in the second adventure:
Green Ice/Deep Freeze (middle second season)
http://bruehoyt.com/.../freezeotto.jpg

Eli Wallach (Magnificent Seven and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
was Mr. Freeze in the third adventure:
Ice Spy/The Duo Defy (late second season)
http://www.batmanytb.../mrfreeze02.jpg

Edited by Twilight Man, Jun 3, 2012 @ 3:09 PM.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

Anyone know what happened to the two Shame episodes with Cliff Robertson and Dina Merrill? Seems like they skipped ahead to the King Tut episode.

I wrote HUB about this last September. Actually there are 4 episodes that are not shown: 2.13-An Egg Grows in Gotham, 2.14-The Yegg Foes in Gotham, 3.21-The Great Escape and 3.22-The Great Train Robbery. Below is the somewhat absurd response they gave.

Dear Viewer,

Thank you for your inquiry about our programming. We're glad that you enjoy "Batman." The episodes you referenced from that series will not be presented on The Hub as we do not feel that they are appropriate for a network that is programmed specifically for children and their families. Thank you for being a viewer of The Hub. We hope you will continue to enjoy our lineup of programs.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations
The Hub

I'm still trying to think of what could have been so offensive and "mature" in those 2 story arcs as compared to the rest the series. I do have the other 116 episodes on my DVR and was able to record all episodes of The Green Hornet last year when SyFy ran a couple of marathons before the release of the movie. I have since transferred TGH to my computer and need to find time to do the same with Batman.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

I don't know why those episodes would be inappropriate either are but nice that HUB wrote back.

I just saw the pilot episode recently. It's been years since I seen it but I'll always remember Batman doing the Batusi and a gogo dancer working for the Riddler falling into the Batcave's atomic reactor and Barman saying "What a way to go go?" Watching again the one thing I took from it now?

JILL ST. JOHN IS HOT AS F@#K.

I did not know she was the go go dancer. Tiffany Case in DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER was one of my least favorite Bond girls. Part of it was I don't like Bond girls to be American, part of it was I didn't like her hairstyle but a bigger part was that her character was horribly written and directed. Here though when Batman meets her in the bar? Dayum.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jun 25, 2012 @ 10:20 AM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

Adam West and Burt Ward told an interesting story in a forum at DragonCon this weekend concerning a line of dialog said between them the time Batman and Robin took Batgirl to see the Batcave. After knocking her out in order to leave, Robin said something like "She sure is pretty!" and Adam intentionally botched his lines so they'd have to use his version, which was something about Robin "thrusting into manhood" (heh). I am pretty sure they did not include this ad-libbed line from a Catwoman ep: "Don't touch that golden pussy, Batman! It's radioactive!".

cynicat x

cynicat x

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

Like or dislike Batgirl, you have to acknowledge she had a swinging pad. I loved the wall that turned around.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I loved the wall that turned around.

It was sorta crazy that none of her neighbors knew about it.

I miss this show being on the HUB nightly.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

There was an ep where she walked in to change and the super/custodian was there investigating her neighbor's complaints about the spinning wall noises, to which she showed him the back room via another door (after pushing a "disguise the room" button) and warning him that she routinely carries a gun and might mistake him for a robber and shoot him!

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

(after pushing a "disguise the room" button)

How convenient. I wonder how much extra that cost. :)

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

ubi, I remember that scene and all I could think of was, "How times have changed!"

Also, West and Ward told that story at the con I was at a couple of years ago, too!

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Yeah, they've just recently added metv to U-verse in Houston. I'm having to rerecord the episodes; an AT&T serviceman erased all of them and I was only get 56 of them before HUB stopped carrying them. I saw a few episodes (Dr. Cassandra and Minerva-the final 2 of the series) while I was in Vegas for Thanksgiving and recorded 2 last weekend but I think I already had them. I saw them also this summer while I was in Boston and think that they actually showed the Shame episodes so there is hope that I'll be able to get all 160 finally. It also seems like they're showing them in order, unfortunately I missed the first 2 episodes; I'm not sure if metv was available to me that weekend-damn; I checked and it wasn't available while I was out west. That means it will be sometime in 2014 when they cycle around again unless they change their schedule and increase the number of episodes they show each week.

Re: Batgirl. I always loved her, mostly because she was a redhead. My biggest issue about her apartment was that she lived on an upper floor (had a balcony) and the motorcycle was clearly in the adjoining chamber but she then drove it directly out of the ground floor. How did she get it downstairs? How did she install a drawbridge door in a brick wall of an apartment building?

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

Re: Batgirl. I always loved her, mostly because she was a redhead. My biggest issue about her apartment was that she lived on an upper floor (had a balcony) and the motorcycle was clearly in the adjoining chamber but she then drove it directly out of the ground floor. How did she get it downstairs? How did she install a drawbridge door in a brick wall of an apartment building?

I always assumed that the cycle was in an elevator that she then took down to street level and the wall that drawbridged down. How she managed it on a librarian's salary? No idea. I DID like how similar it seemed to the Green Hornet's set-up though.

just saw the pilot episode recently. It's been years since I seen it but I'll always remember Batman doing the Batusi and a gogo dancer working for the Riddler falling into the Batcave's atomic reactor

I have no idea what the HUB thought was 'offensive' about later episodes, but Molly's death was pretty hardcore for a 'children's show'. I think, that being a very early episode, the Powers That Be hadn't yet decided to go full-on kiddie as it eventually became, and therefore toyed with the occasional darker theme.

JILL ST. JOHN IS HOT AS F@#K.

I've always held the opinion that the fetishism of putting women/girls into the Robin costume that continues to this day began with that episode.