Batman

• Please log in to reply

221 replies to this topic

muchsarcasm

muchsarcasm

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 12:32 PM

Well I did a search and didn't see anything but the animated shows. Anyway, Frank "The Riddler" Gorshin has passed away. He was definitely one of the better villains on that show.

It was always weird watching this show as a kid because I didn't really get camp.

Melk

Melk

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 1:36 PM

It was always weird watching this show as a kid because I didn't really get camp.

Exactly. I think on some level I knew there was something wrong, but apart from that I took it way too seriously. Looking back I was one stupid kid. The Tim Burton movies were one hell of a shock I can tell you (although why my parents allowed me to watch them at age 8 is beyond me).

Watching Batman again is a mix of nostalgic affection and cringing. How the actors kept a straight face I'll never know.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 2:18 PM

Heh. The first I ever saw of this show was the movie. It went along fairly normally for the first 75% or so, just the occasional "Holy Kidnapping!" or "Bat Shark Repellant" and the like. They started shooting at the Penguin's submarine, and I thought, "That laser burst looks cheesy. Well, that's sixties sci-fi for you." Then they landed on the submarine and started throwing punches. Oh. My. God.

I guess I was just raised to see Batman as, by definition, a dark character.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 2:23 PM

I think I went through 3 different stages of watching this show. When I was around 9, I loved it, because, well...Batman! In live action! Also, Julie Newmar was very sexy. The only thing that bugged me was the way their costumes magically appeared when they slid down the pole.

When I got a little older, I went all comic book fanboy (thanks in part to the Burton movies, and Miller and all that): WTF is this s**t?? Batman should not be dancing, damn it!

Now, I think the show is a riot.

Edited by areacode212, May 18, 2005 @ 2:24 PM.

Divaah46

Divaah46

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 4:17 PM

I knew this show was goofy from the first moment I saw it. Everything was too brightly colored to be realistic. I wish Sci-Fi or TV Land would play it again. I liked it, goofiness and all. Maybe in tribute to Mr. Gorshin they will air the Riddler episodes.

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 9:25 PM

I still think the 1966 movie is the best live-action Batman movie to date. Though perhaps this summer's Batman Begins will change that.

CletusMusashi

CletusMusashi

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2005 @ 12:44 AM

It's kind of hard to put a real actor in a bat suit, have him beat up a clown, and have it not be funny. When I was little, I didn't get the Adam West Batman either, because I thought it was supposed to be serious, but in my teens I discovered the show's true comedic genius. The new movie might be good. Hell, if it's half as good as "Sin City" it'll be the best serious Batman movie they've done. But the old comedic version will always be special. I especially loved how absolutely EVERY ITEM THEY FUCKING OWNED was labelled "Bat Stapler"... "Bat Shoehorn"... "Bat Paperweight"...
Anyone can do something silly and call it comedy, but having the chutzpah to KEEP doing silly things, with a straight face, was what kept the show funny.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2005 @ 3:21 AM

Anyone can do something silly and call it comedy, but having the chutzpah to KEEP doing silly things, with a straight face, was what kept the show funny.

Which is exactly why Adam West was perfect as Batman. He knew that that was how he had play the role in order for it to be effective.

still fluxing

still fluxing

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 25, 2005 @ 2:38 PM

I *love* this show - it's my favourite Batman incarnation. :) A lot of my affection probably come from childhood nostalgia since I used to watch it back when I was just a wee girl. I didn't actually understand any of the dialoge because it was in english, and I couldn't read so I didn't get the sub either, but I knew comedy when I saw it. ;) "POWW!" "BIFF!" "SMACK!" The fistfights=the best part

Nowadays I'm mostly awed by the decor and the costumes...

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2005 @ 3:44 PM

How did I miss this thread?

This show turned me on to Batman as a character, and shortly after I started watching it I begged my mother for anything Batman-related. Okay, so it isn't for purists who prefer the brooding, vengeful Dark Knight of the earlier and more recent comics. Still, the show was pivotal in my development of a basic ethical system when I was a kid.

Years and years ago, I was doing temp work for Gramercy Pictures at the San Diego ComiCon (we were doing the Mallrats sneak preview). I got a chance to meet several celebrity types, and dealt with them in what I considered a polite and professional manner. No way I was going to be lumped in with the pathetic fanboys who were congregating around our table, right?

Then the announcement: "Adam West is now signing autographs at booth 8A"

I dropped the packet of trading cards I was carrying, rushed to his table at top speed, and babbled incoherently about how he was my personal hero when I was growing up. He signed my paper, looked up, and said three words that I carry with me to this day:

"Well, thanks, chum"

I've gone through ups and downs in my life since then, but one thing can never be taken away from me. Adam West--TV's Batman--called me "chum".

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 10:31 AM

I'm trying to remember the various villains who populated this show. Frank Gorshan as Riddler was my favorite. Didn't the guy from The Adams Family also play him? I also remember Julie Neumar as Catwoman and Burgess Meridith as Penguin. I can't remember who played Joker, which is funny because he got the most screen time, I think. I also can't remember who played Scarecrow.

I seem to remember that Vincent Pryce, Roddy McDowall and George Sanders also played baddies, but I don't remember who. I think Roddy may have been the Mad Hatter.

An actor I do remember was Neil Hamilton as Commissioner Gordon. He was another really good actor who did camp perfectly. I saw him on an episode of Perry Mason not long ago and it made me long to watch some of those old Batman reruns.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 1:36 PM

I can't remember who played Joker, which is funny because he got the most screen time

Cesar Romero. I always liked him in the role, and he did look like the comic book depiction of the Joker IMO. I remember thinking when Jack Nicholson played the part in the Tim Burton movie that he looked too fat for the role. Romero always seemed to be having a lot of fun playing the part.

I seem to remember that Vincent Pryce, Roddy McDowall and George Sanders also played baddies, but I don't remember who.

I think Vincent Pryce played Egghead (?). I don't remember who the other two played. The list of villains was full of old stars, as I recall. I remember Tallulah Bankhead as the Black Widow, and Victor Buono as King Tut. And Joan Collins as the Siren.

I also remember Julie Neumar as Catwoman

I loved Julie Neumar in the role. I hated Eartha Kitt as Catwoman though when she took over.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 4:12 PM

Roddy McDowall was the Bookworm (David Wayne was the Mad Hatter), George Sanders was the first Mr. Freeze and yes, Vincent Price was Egghead. Because of a contract dispute, Frank Gorshin missed one episode and was replaced by John Astin (aka Gomez Addams).

I don't believe Scarecrow was on the tv series.

gregg247

gregg247

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 4:19 PM

Don't forget Milton Berle as Louie the Lilac and Liberace as the evil, piano-playing Chandell! This show was a lot of fun in its day.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 5:39 PM

I wonder why this show isn't on DVD, especially since Superman is. I'd love to pick this up if they ever released it. I enjoyed it from beginning, until the end with Bat Girl.

Are there any other campy series in this vein? I know there was a Bat Girl pilot, but I don't know if it was similar to this.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:24 PM

Cesar Romero. I always liked him in the role, and he did look like the comic book depiction of the Joker IMO.

Perhaps, though you may have to overlook the fact that they applied white makeup over his mustache because he refused to shave it off...it's pretty distracting once you know to look for it.

Edited by areacode212, Nov 8, 2005 @ 11:32 PM.

anotherguitarchick

anotherguitarchick

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 11:39 PM

It's not on DVD because Fox and the WB are fighting over it. However, they did manage to release the truly awesome movie - from 1966, starting Burt Ward and Adam West. It's pretty great.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 3:55 PM

Speaking of Vincent Price, during an Egghead episode, there was a scene where eggs were being thrown at the dynamic duo. At that time, Burt Ward was being a pain in the ass and you can see the crew's feelings towards him - they went a bit overboard when they started throwing eggs at him. They really let him have it.

it's pretty distracting once you know to look for it.

Heh, you don't notice it until you know and then you can't not notice it. Of course, when I first watched the series I was pretty young and it was most likely a small tv so it might have not been that noticeble then.

Edited by M. Darcy, Nov 9, 2005 @ 3:57 PM.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 4:10 PM

I loved this show as a kid. Imagine my surprise when Tim Burton's Batman came out and I learned he's supposed to be dark.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2005 @ 5:08 PM

I loved Julie Neumar in the role. I hated Eartha Kitt as Catwoman though when she took over

Julie Newmar was in the series? I thought Catwoman was played by Lee Meriweather... but they looked the same - at least I thought they were. I knew Julie Newmar was in the movie.

Eartha Kitt was the equivalent of Halle Berry as Catwoman, a biiiiiiiit over the top. None the less, I thought she was..unique. Julie and Lee were so sexy, and purring all over the place, I wanted to be like them. I actually wanted to grow up as a Catwoman, lol.

Michelle Pffiefer [sp?] performance as Catwoman, although I liked her because it was so dark and creepy - I thought it was a bit too sad. Instead of this vibrant young woman who was a thief and occassionaly an animal activist, the movie reduced her as this low life pitiful and vengeful secretary - which I really didn't like. But as far as Catwoman herself, I thought she kicked ass.

One thing I liked about the series was most of the henchmen were wearing something that determine who they were working for. For example; Catwoman's henchmen were wearing leopard skin jacket and cat ears hat, Joker's henchmen were wearing colorful uniforms, etc. As a little girl back then, it really helped me to understand who was the villain of the week, hehehe.

Edited by HoneyBee, Nov 11, 2005 @ 5:07 PM.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2005 @ 7:37 PM

Julie Newmar was in the series? I thought Catwoman was played by Lee Meriweather... but they looked the same - at least I thought they were. I knew Julie Newmar was in the movie.

It's actually the other way around--Julie Newmar was the TV series Catwoman...Lee Meriwether was the one from the movie (which I never actually saw). I didn't really like Eartha Kitt as Catwoman, but a lot of that probably came from my attachment to Newmar. I will admit that Kitt's voice does have that sensual cat-like quality, so she was well-suited for the role.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2005 @ 7:45 PM

I hated Eartha Kitt's Cat-a-lac. It had this huge tail attached to the rear end.

nothing new

nothing new

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 10:08 PM

Julie Newmar was Catwoman for the first two seasons. She wasn't available when they did the movie, so they used Lee Meriwether, who wasn't nearly as good (Meriwether was a generic Hot Chick who turned up in a lot of '60s TV shows; she was attractive, but Newmar was like an alien space creature from Planet Super-Hot). Kitt took over for the last season because Newmar was doing a movie, Mackenna's Gold. It was probably a bad move, because the movie didn't do well and Newmar's career never got back to what it had been around the time of "Batman."

KSFan

KSFan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 1:52 AM

I think Lee Meriwether guest starred on the show, too, as a damsel in distress or something. I remember Bruce Wayne going into her apartment for... milk and cookies.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 3:40 PM

I remember those episodes. She was kidnapped by King Tut.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 4:03 PM

I am so glad to see this thread! The series premiered when I was 5-and nothing could have been cooler to play Catwoman around the house-except maybe the
3rd season, when I became Batgirl. I also thought it was very serious stuff-my Mom took me to see the 1966 film and I was MAD cause the other kids were laughing at Batman! Now, of course-I love watching for the satire/camp references-like New Guernsey for New Jersey, Mayor Linseed for Mayor Lindsey and other 60's references. And Adam West ROCKED-now and forever.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 4:27 PM

I think Lee Meriwether guest starred on the show, too, as a damsel in distress or something. I remember Bruce Wayne going into her apartment for... milk and cookies.

No wonder people thought Batman was gay.

CletusMusashi

CletusMusashi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2005 @ 9:04 AM

Well, citizen, you'd be happy too if you kept Gotham as safe as he did.

Ben King

Ben King

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2006 @ 7:16 AM

Oh dear. TV Shows on DVD make reference to a new legal stand-off regarding this series.

Don't hold your breath waiting for this camp classic to be released on DVD.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

Oh that's too bad.