Strange Reasons for Giving Up a Show

• Please log in to reply

2481 replies to this topic

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2014 @ 8:48 PM

I gave up on Long Island Medium (which I watched for the snark factor) because Theresa's finger nails drove me up the wall.  Couldn't bear to look at them.

festivus

festivus

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2014 @ 11:57 PM

I watched the first episode of Believe but I'm giving up because I saw in the promos for the next week that the dad cut all his hair off. Nope.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 9:12 AM

I couldn't give Mind Games a shot because Steve Zahn is so fucking annoying in the commercials for it.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 11:59 AM

Oh, lord, yes!  I am now forced to watch General Hospital via on-demand (RIP, SoapNet) and they disable the fast-forward.  For the last six weeks or so ABC must have aired that same promo for Mind Games several times per hourI wanted to find Steve Zahn and shout "....like Jedi mind tricks!!!" as I punched him in the neck repeatedly. 

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2014 @ 8:17 PM

Yet another to file under the subheading "shows we won't even start to watch": I refuse to watch Cougar Town because of the name of the show. I understand that it's a wink-wink double meaning because the local sports team is the Cougars, but yeah...if you're going to be misogynistic in the damned title of the show, I can't. Also, the one-dimensional portrayal in the promos of all the women as wine guzzlers...no, thanks.

helenbaby

helenbaby

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 11:10 AM

Bilg--if it makes you feel any better, the men don't fare much better in Cougar Town. I only watched part of one episode and everyone loses/is a loser on that show.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 12:35 PM

The Goldbergs, because over the top pushy meddling mom in the 80s? 

Lived it. 

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 4:22 PM

Well, apparently The Goldbergs is based on the show runner's real family, and the actors have said they're playing the actual family.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 4:37 PM

From Dusk Til Dawn, the series. The first scene has a young woman thrown into a pit of snakes, and I have a thing about snakes. The second scene has a picture of another woman with her eyes gouged out. Ick, no thanks.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 4:58 PM

Yet another to file under the subheading "shows we won't even start to watch": I refuse to watch Cougar Town because of the name of the show. I understand that it's a wink-wink double meaning because the local sports team is the Cougars, but yeah...if you're going to be misogynistic in the damned title of the show, I can't.

Wait, what? "Cougar" is misogynistic? I don't watch Cougar Town because I hate Courteney Cox, but how is the word cougar misogynistic?

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 6:38 PM

"Cougar" is a derogatory term for an older (generally middle-aged), "hot-to-trot" woman who goes after much younger guys. It's meant to be an insult. I can't think of a term that means the same thing for a man in the same scenario, because, you know, it's not a thing for middle-aged men to date much younger women (unless you are me and you think it's sad and gross).

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 6:51 PM

I know what a cougar is. I was not aware that it's supposed to be derogatory or insulting.  I'm a dude, so maybe I'm the wrong person to even have asked the question in the first place. Do you also think it's sad and gross for middle-aged women to date much younger men? PM me if it's too off-topic to answer in the thread.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 9:50 PM

I kinda remember when that term started getting used, and while I always thought it was really stupid, I don't think it's ever really been misogynistic. (Wasn't the the term started/popularized by women mostly?) But I'm not "cougar" age. JMHO.

On topic: I tried to watch Cougar Town once, but couldn't concentrate on anything because I couldn't stop thinking, "What happened to Courtney Cox's face??"

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2014 @ 10:46 PM

As one who finds it a sexist and agist term, I too gave the show a wide berth because of it.  It was quite some time before I learned that wasn't the context in which the title used the term, but I still wasn't going back; it's right up there with MILF in setting off my ire, so even a play on it is enough to keep me away.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 12:05 AM

Ageist (agist? age-ist?) -- yes, it's definitely that.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 10:39 AM

I know what a cougar is. I was not aware that it's supposed to be derogatory or insulting.

Probably depends on the context of how it is being used.  I agree with Trini Girl - it is a really stupid word that has somehow become so commonplace that it is listed as a slang in the dictionary.

Funny, growing up we just used the terms Sugar Daddy and Sugar Mama and the toy du jour was usually just referred to as the Cabana Boy.  Maybe it's a regional thing.

I didn't know what Cougar Town was about so I figured it was the older woman/younger man thing and Trophy Wife was the other side of that coin.  Maybe Trophy Wife isn't what I thought it was either.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:52 AM

Isn't a sugar mama/daddy different from a cougar, though?  I think "cougar" being derogatory completely depends on what you think about older women dating younger men.  If you think it's gross, then it's derogatory.  If you think it's okay, then it's just a descriptor.

My understanding of Cougar Town is like in the first episode she went out with a younger man but then decided it wasn't for her.  As far as I know after that, she's been with a guy that's her own age.  And they've made jokes about how the title doesn't even make any sense.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

I think "Cougar" could be considered derogatory because it implies predatory behavior.  

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 8:50 PM

But it also implies the ladies are empowered and confident, the way big cats like cougars, lions, and tigers tend to be.  Maybe this is a wash. :)

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2014 @ 8:58 PM

Thank you, daniel82, I always thought that was what it meant myself, a woman that had her shit together and was confident about what she wanted.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer, Mar 21, 2014 @ 10:03 PM.

pemyquid

pemyquid

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2014 @ 9:59 PM

Well, anyway, the show only started out with the Cougar trope, but quickly dropped it and for much of the show's run has had nothing to do with it. Both lead females are married to men of their own age, and very much wear the pants in their respective relationships.

Irregardless, I've stopped watching, mainly for the usual reasons (too much wine humor, Ellie is a horrible person, Jules is annoying and self involved), but really it's because I keep forgetting it's on and obviously am not interested enough to set up my DVR to record it. I kinda miss Busy Phillips, but not enough apparently, especially since they hooked her character up with doughy Travis. * shudder *

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2014 @ 2:48 PM

The Apprentice, because Donald. 

Not even that he's overbearing or delusional. 

I honestly can't even remember the boot--it was back in the pre-celeb days. There was a clear case that one person was utterly incompetent, and he beat that horse for the whole boardroom, then kicked out the other person for not, IIRC, speaking up to gang in on the bootee. 

I may not be recalling the specifics exactly, but at that point I realized this guy is a showman with a good schtick who knows nothing about actually managing people and tuned out.