Strange Reasons for Giving Up a Show

• Please log in to reply

2481 replies to this topic

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I can only watch Dancing with the Stars if someone who really really REALLY interests me is on, and once that person is off, I'm gone too. The reason I keep being driven away is the damned band/orchestra. I HATE the band they have for the show, as they make every cover sound terrible. I realize in some cases there is only so much you can do to stay true to the original tune. But why bother with rap, hip-hop, country, etc. tunes if your band can't even replicate a vaguely similar sound? Worse, some of their singers end up sounding off-key or off-time. It's ABC, which is owned by Disney, couldn't they use the actual tunes, since they're paying the rights to cover them anyway?

So, until my next favorite celebrity comes onto the show (my previous favorites have been Carson Kressley, Lil' Kim, Steve-O, and Steve Wozniak), I'm not watching again.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Scandel since it entered the world of 24 with VP chiefs of staff commiting and being murdered and lawyers willing to commit felonies for their clients after less then a minute of protest.

PartlyCloudy

PartlyCloudy

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

My admittedly stupid reasons for never even starting to watch Hart of Dixie:

* The title. It annoys me. It annoyed me merely typing it.
* The main character. I hated her on sight and want to punch her.
* In the ads they show the title character wobbling down the road in high heels. I'm sure they have a good reason (haha) for this little scene but it made me want to rent a truck, drive down south, and run her over. She had no other shoes in her suitcase to change into??
* The chicks in those Gone With the Wind costumes. Haaaaate. No good reason why.
* Last but not least, I'm from the south so I know they're going to screw up anything and everything southern.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

I'm only giving up on Falling Skies now, because last season I had not seen enough Sci fi shows to realize just how much of a rip off it was.

Edited by agora, Jun 9, 2012 @ 8:20 PM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

My admittedly stupid reasons for never even starting to watch Hart of Dixie:

* The title. It annoys me. It annoyed me merely typing it.
* The main character. I hated her on sight and want to punch her.
* In the ads they show the title character wobbling down the road in high heels. I'm sure they have a good reason (haha) for this little scene but it made me want to rent a truck, drive down south, and run her over. She had no other shoes in her suitcase to change into??
* The chicks in those Gone With the Wind costumes. Haaaaate. No good reason why.
* Last but not least, I'm from the south so I know they're going to screw up anything and everything southern.

Partly Cloudy, I'm right there with you, but I'll go you one better. Most shows that are set in the South end up perpetuating stereotypes, mostly because none of the writers or producers have actually fucking been anywhere in the South. So they just show dusty country roads upon which to strand clueless Northerners, and no bus/plane/train/taxi service because we're SO far off the beaten path. They apparently are not aware that we have modern convenience stores, and not just a barn-like "tradin' post" with two antique pumps from the 40's out front. Women are either sexless grannies and aunts, sultry white trash sluts, or snotty Southern belles. There is one solo "good girl" in town, the one that "Why hasn't someone married such a good girl?" The stereotypes for men include carnies, inbred rapists, town officials, and grandpappies. Then, the one Chippendale dancer-style guy which every girl lusts over, that eventually falls for the good girl.

You know, Hart of Dixie. Or True Blood. Or WB's Savannah. Or, hell, even Matlock or In the Heat of the Night. Of which, I've only kept watching True Blood, and even that's getting stale. I kind of miss Filthy Rich, which was a parody of Dallas that used to be shown on CBS. That was hilarious. If someone offers to show you their video tapes, take a chance.

ETA: Even though this is a stretch, the closest to the actual South that has been on TV has been Designing Women, and not everyone works in a tasteful, wonderfully lushly decorated Southern mansion... with a sultry slut (Suzanne), a snotty Southern belle (Julia), and a couple of good girls (Charlene and Annie Potts' character whose name escapes me right now.) But at least the Bloodworth-Thomason writing team was from Arkansas, and they also wrote the short-lived Evening Shade, which was a cute show.

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:37 AM.

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

Thank you AtlanticVamp. I agree with you 100%. I'm from Georgia, now living in North Carolina, and I'm so tired of all the stereotypical southerners on TV. If you are going to write, produce, act in, or direct a show set in the south then at least spend a few weeks in a small southern town talking to the people that live there! I occasionally watch reruns of Murder She Wrote however, there were a few episodes set in the south that I absolutely cannot watch. The accents were terrible and it seemed like they threw in every tired southern cliche they could think of. I've also quit watching some shows set in the northeast because every bad guy or town idiot, for some reason, has a bad southern accent. Even the ones that supposedly grew up in the northeast. Unless the show is set in New York. Then all the town idiots and bad guys sound like mobsters.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

Unless the show is set in New York. Then all the town idiots and bad guys sound like mobsters.

This was the only reason I could watch "Sex & The City": because there weren't any of those stereotypical "Noo Yawker" accents.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

I stopped watching The Office when it suddenly dawned on me that nobody had a Scranton accent. Which is too bad, because I appreciated other regional details, like the Wegman's brand soda and the Froggy98 bumper sticker.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

I can't get into 30 Rock because of Alec Baldwin. I still think of him as the guy who chewed out his daughter on the phone.

GingerJack

GingerJack

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 17, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I won't watch Alec Baldwin either for the same reason. He's always been a Hollywood a-hole even back when he was on Knot's Landing. There's no reason to hate on his own child that way. I won't watch his commercials either and don't understand why Capital One hired him after all the crap he's done.

RavensGirl

RavensGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 1:40 AM

I gave up on American Idol after the whole "Jennifer Hudson is the second coming of Christ and if you do not vote for her, you are racist!" episode. Up until then, I thought it was perfectly legal to just not think somebody's musical style was my cup of tea. Silly me!

In fact, I will abandon pretty much any show, reality or otherwise, when the media and the fans start treating the outcome like it is more serious than all the wars going on in the world and all the real news on television combined. It's a TV show. Get over it. No one is going to die because someone you don't like won American Idol or America's Next Top Model.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

I gave up on American Idol after the whole "Jennifer Hudson is the second coming of Christ and if you do not vote for her, you are racist!" episode. Up until then, I thought it was perfectly legal to just not think somebody's musical style was my cup of tea. Silly me!

In fact, I will abandon pretty much any show, reality or otherwise, when the media and the fans start treating the outcome like it is more serious than all the wars going on in the world and all the real news on television combined. It's a TV show. Get over it. No one is going to die because someone you don't like won American Idol or America's Next Top Model.

My reason for not watching is that out of all the winners, only Carrie Underword and Kelly Clarkson still have viable careers. Runners-up don't fare much better: only Clay Aiken and Daughtry have done well. I just can't get invested.

Daybreak

Daybreak

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Gave up on "Idol" years ago. I have only watched a bit of "America's Got Talent" over the years, but when I heard Howard Stern was named as a new judge this year. I was totally out.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Gave up on "Idol" years ago. I have only watched a bit of "America's Got Talent" over the years, but when I heard Howard Stern was named as a new judge this year. I was totally out.

Actually, Howard has been sweet to most contestants, and keeps his potty mouth in check. I'm just surprised he agreed to work with NBC given his spotty history with them.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I gave up on the X factor because it wasn't American Idol, I gave up on Smash because it wasn't Glee and I gave up on Once Upon a Time because it wasn't Lost.

Same host, songs or producers doesn't mean a thing to me.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

Gave up on "Idol" years ago.

I gave up on that show in Season 3, when it was painfully obvious how they much they loved giving Fantasia and Jennifer Hudson (who are both from the Screaming School of Singing) tonguebaths whilst the far superior George Huff got thrown under the bus (LaToya London, too, but the judges weren't as critical of her as they were of George). George Huff was, hands down, one of the best singers ever on that show. He got screwed in order to prop up Fantasia's horrible affectation and screeching. Ugh.

vimrod

vimrod

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

Haven. I stayed for the opening credits (sublime) and left when it became obvious that the two main guys were Jack & Sawyer Version Negative 1 and the main chick was Kate without the awesome. The Sawyer-esque guy (Eric Balfour) was especially annoying. It was the smirk that did it. No thanks. Plus, the one episode was boring as hell.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

I gave up on most shows than I could count for the same reason: if the guys aren't a bad replica of Jack & Sawyer - Dallas, Haven, Falling Skies, etc. - then the leading ladies are a really bad replica of Kate & Juliet - Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Pan Am, etc. - and I agree with you it couldn't get more annoying.

Edited by grimm2, Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:53 AM.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

The Sawyer-esque guy (Eric Balfour) was especially annoying.

He's still getting work? Amazing. If I remember correctly, Eric Balfour is kind of notorious for being a show-killer.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

I gave up on Once Upon a Time because I found it too simplistic, it's not like I was expecting a multilayered fairytale but I didn't feel like watching something less complex than the Shrek movies.

vimrod

vimrod

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

Gave up on The Voice because of Christina's stank face and Adam's douchebaggery.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

I gave up on The Voice and The X Factor when it became all about the judges and nothing to do with the performers.

aerousu

aerousu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

I'm giving up Glee, not due to the crappy writing, but because the last moments of the season finale were the only marginally true moments in a long time. I don't want to tune in next year and watch them undo it.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

(American Idol)

I gave up on that show in Season 3, when it was painfully obvious how they much they loved giving Fantasia and Jennifer Hudson (who are both from the Screaming School of Singing) tonguebaths whilst the far superior George Huff got thrown under the bus (LaToya London, too, but the judges weren't as critical of her as they were of George). George Huff was, hands down, one of the best singers ever on that show. He got screwed in order to prop up Fantasia's horrible affectation and screeching. Ugh.

I found it hard to even watch the far-more-entertaining auditions for fear that either they'd have a THIRD coming of Clay Aiken. I like Clay, I just got pissed the year they had the kid who looked sort of like him that didn't make it through auditions come and do the finale, only to have Clay himself walk out for "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me". So, for fear they'd want another look-alike, no matter what their level of talent, I've cashed out.

Also, seeing Fantasia vomit in her Lifetime movie didn't help.

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Jun 23, 2012 @ 9:19 AM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

I'm giving up Person of Interest because of the stupidity of CBS. This show is not "on demand" and they no longer give full episodes on their website. Sometimes I forget the show is on and forget to tape, yes, tape, it. I also know people who have to work on Thursday nights and don't remember to DVR or tape the show. Sorry POI, I love the show, hate CBS.

This is why I gave up on The Good Wife. Due to family issues, I missed two episodes so I figured I'd just catch up either online or on demand. Well, the only way to see them is to pay via iTunes. Sorry, CBS but that is not.gonna.happen.

I *wish* I could give up news shows but hubby seems to have an affinity but the news keeps me up at night lately.

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

I'm not giving up on Glee yet, but I'm definitely giving up on Glee project because to me that's just one Glee too many.

Edited by wildling, Jun 27, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I didn't give Glee a chance because of it's great reviews. The reason being is that in the past, two shows I liked that had great reviews (Heroes and Ugly Betty), crashed and burned.

CassandraRedux

CassandraRedux

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Shows on Netflix I've given up on recently:

Sons of Anarchy--made it through 2 and a half seasons when I realized the next time Katy Segal's character came on screen I was going to hurl the computer against a wall.

Torchwood--made it almost to the end of season 2. I really wanted to like it; it seemed like it had the potential to be good, campy fun. But the acting--all of it, but sadly Barrowman's in particular, was so bad I just couldn't. I've liked him whenever I've seen him otherwise, I guess I just hated his portrayal of the character.

Edited by CassandraRedux, Jul 7, 2012 @ 12:42 PM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

Torchwood--made it almost to the end of season 2. I really wanted to like it; it seemed like it had the potential to be good, campy fun. But the acting--all of it, but sadly Barrowman's in particular, was so bad I just couldn't. I've liked him whenever I've seen him otherwise, I guess I just hated his portrayal of the character.

John Barrowman reads "smug" to me, and it's kept me away from Torchwood, myself. But Torchwood didn't seal the deal; a friend sent me a link for "Never Mind the Buzzcocks" that Barrowman hosted and though he's delicious to look at, I couldn't stand the constant mugging and attitude.

Incidentally, I caught The Brit List on BBC America, and there he was again, talking about British folk who portray Americans. When he talked himself being "bi....dilectical and I guess you could say I'm bi-curious" (he's from the UK but lived for years in America), I knew I made the right choice. I'm bidilectical myself, and slide naturally between accents, and it's not that big a deal. It's all English.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

I started watching season 2 of Franklin and Bash, and thought, hey this is a fun, lighthearted show. But then I quickly realized that the two black women on the show are basically token minorities (maybe they had bigger roles in season one) with no storylines of their own, and it killed my enjoyment. So despite liking Mark Paul and Breckin, it's "buh-bye" to the show.