Strange Reasons for Giving Up a Show

• Please log in to reply

2481 replies to this topic

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I don't see anything in OUAT where Emma even comes close to eternal wisdom. She's actually pretty dim, IMNSHO.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

I'm about to give up on Touch because Kieffer S. spends so much time every episode yelling "Jake? Jake! JAKE!!" and breathing in this extremely hitchy, irritating way. All while following his weird son all over NYC. Endlessly.

I'm about to give up on Touch because I can suspend disbelief and enjoy the premise but I keep getting unreasonably upset that Martin is not reacting the way Jack would.

agora Jake isn't adopted and he's not trying to "ditch" his dad.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

Trust me, one more episode of the "eternal wisdom of the biomom" and I'm done with Once Upon a Time for good.

I don't see anything in OUAT where Emma even comes close to eternal wisdom. She's actually pretty dim...

Precisely, not that it would make it okay if she actually had wisdom for a change, my Unpopular Opinion being that mom is the one who raised you, not the one who shows up whenever the one who raises you just so happens to screw up.

Same goes for Social Services on TV for that matter (they are no better than the unfit parents just because they point that out).

Edited by agora, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

Tell Her No

Tell Her No

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Well, this is rather late to the party, since the show only has around 6 episodes left, but I gave up on House 4 weeks into the first season. It's not even the character of House, because he's bitchtastically crazy, AND he takes Vicodin and is about one screw short of being a total nutcase. It's the other characters. They seemed so watered down in order to make way for DA HOWSE! that it ruined the show for me. However, I can't help but laugh at the recent preview of (whatever the totally pussywhipped best friend of House's is) where it's mentioned he (Dr. Pussywhipped) has an eleven year old son. The scene of Hugh Laurie opening his mouth (with chewed up food) had me laughing for a good while.

Now, on the other hand, is CSI: Horatio still on? Now there's a show that'll never die. (Have no fears, we've got stories for years, indeed!)

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

I can't stand House, because I hate shows with hateful lead characters.

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

corvus13 that's exactly why I quit watching House. I don't even like the commercials where people get knocked over or hit with a cane. Another reason I quit watching House, and in fact most medical shows, is because I'm an RN and I can only suspend belief so many times. I've worked in the emergency room for years and I've never seen even 1/4 of the diseases or injuries they show in most medical shows. I guess it makes good TV though. The only exception is M*A*S*H. It is probably the most realistic medical show that has ever been on TV, imho.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I've given up on Touch after 2 episodes because it reminds me of Heroes. It's the pseudo-intellectual/pseudo-scientific monologues. It's like eating sliced white bread. It calls itself bread but it dissolves in your mouth without chewing. It has nowhere the substance and nutritional value real bread has. Also, it's not good for you.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I keep getting unreasonably upset that Martin is not reacting the way Jack would.

Hee, I know what you mean. I have the same problem with Ringer; every time Sarah Michelle Gellar is getting her arse kicked, I'll think "Oh, come on, Buffy would've made mincemeat of that guy!".

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

I have avoided Big Rich Texas for a number of reasons, mostly because I think it's run-off from other "Wives" shows. But the weird thing is I've never watched a single episode, ever. Why? The commercials put me off, specifically this season's commercials.

The first one was before this season started and some woman is screaming, "YOU'RE THE CON ARTIST WHO CAME TO TEXAS!!" which is the most over-the-top statement I've ever heard in my life.

Another was a preview being shown on the On Demand page for Xfinity/Comcast in which a woman tells her grown daughter to move out by the end of (first of?) the month, then when the daughter does, the mother shows up at her new place. Worse, the mom is bitching, "You could open the damned door!"

Neither of these things do a damned thing for me.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I've given up on Touch after 2 episodes because it reminds me of Heroes.

Personally, I gave up on Heroes because it didn't remind me of Heroes after a couple of seasons.

Edited by agora, Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:18 PM.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

How about a strange reason for not even starting watching a show? I was initially curious about Girls on HBO and I know that there's only been one episode so far, but I've just seen too many articles about it and I just can't bring myself to watch a show that there's so much hand-wringing about (and I haven't even read most of the articles!). I just feel like it's everywhere. Maybe I'll watch it after all the hype and annoyance dies down, maybe...

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

How about a strange reason for not even starting watching a show? I was initially curious about Girls on HBO and I know that there's only been one episode so far, but I've just seen too many articles about it and I just can't bring myself to watch a show that there's so much hand-wringing about (and I haven't even read most of the articles!). I just feel like it's everywhere. Maybe I'll watch it after all the hype and annoyance dies down, maybe...

See, Virginia Plain, I have this issue with a lot of reality shows. Once I can keep up with a show by merely looking at magazine covers in the checkout at the grocery store---without even picking up or flipping through the magazine---I lose interest in wanting to see a show. For example: The Hills/The City was on magazine covers for a long time, then it was the various Kardashian shows, and then Bachelor/Bachelorette, etc. It's just over-saturation.

Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

Im going to drop The Vampire Diaries because I cant stand Damon or Delena. This triangle drained me.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

I have this issue with a lot of reality shows. Once I can keep up with a show by merely looking at magazine covers in the checkout at the grocery store---without even picking up or flipping through the magazine---I lose interest in wanting to see a show.

Personally, I gave up on most reality shows because of the overexposure. I mean, what's the point to watch it when I'm going to know all about it by media/twitter/facebooks everywhere.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I have this issue with a lot of reality shows

My main issue with reality shows is that how can they be reality shows when there's a camera on them?

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

Once I can keep up with a show by merely looking at magazine covers in the checkout at the grocery store---without even picking up or flipping through the magazine---I lose interest in wanting to see a show. For example: The Hills/The City was on magazine covers for a long time, then it was the various Kardashian shows, and then Bachelor/Bachelorette, etc. It's just over-saturation.

I feel the same way too and I guess I also felt that way about shows like Lost or The Sopranos. I never really had much interest in either of them, but I feel like I know so much about what happened on shows like that because nobody ever shut up about them.

Edited by Virginia Plain, Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:49 PM.

bella1013

bella1013

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

Four reasons why I gave up on Alcatraz after four episodes.

• The lead could not compel me in the slightest, and I'm usually easy about scripted crime drama.
  • Jorge Garcia played Hurley 2.0, which I should have known.
  • You know, there weren't 300 and whatever cells in that underground bunker where they stashed the prisoner du jour. Bugged the hell out of me.
  • The fourth episode must have been the most boring hour of television to ever grace modern screens.

Point is, I should have known better.

Edited by bella1013, Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:19 AM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

I have rebuked TLC's "Long Island Medium" based on the following idea:

It appears someone took one of the Real Housewives of New Jersey, slapped a Nancy Grace wig on her, and gave her supernatural powers.

That is all.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

LOL at "rebuked."

I'm giving up Person of Interest because I'm tired of seeing Taraji Henson in that godawful ponytail. I'm sure she wears it for practical reasons, but I can't take it anymore.

Less strange - I just cannot buy Jim Caviezel as a former CIA operative (I really tried), so the flashbacks annoy and derail the show for me. Plus, I've never, ever liked Finch.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

rory

rory

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Reading your post makes me realize I completely forgot POI was on last night. While I think the concept has great potential and think the male leads have great chemistry, I think I'm giving it up because I can't stand Taraji's character and because too many of the POI are mob related when I'd rather see ordinary people as the POI.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I like Carter, it's just that blasted ponytail that distracts me.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

I gave up on House after the whole interns debacle. I felt like the writers beat the viewing public over the head with interns. Number 99 or whatever her name was got on my nerves. Then we found out she had some rare disease that House used his savant diagnostic abilities to diagnose. Then Kal Penn electrocuted himself and was disqualified. After that, the totally unlikeable Ice Bitch was still standing but wait! No, she's sleeping with Cancer Doctor Pansy Ass aka House's Bitch!!! It can't be!! It is!! ZOMG! Shock!

My ass. I dropped House like The Talk drops co-hosts and haven't looked back since.

I gave up on American Idol because it was just too much manipulation. And I just really began hate Ryan Seacrap. I can't stand his smug onstage demeanor or the way that he clinches his jaw. I can't stand the onstage melodrama either. "Are you safe? Are you doomed?....FIND OUT AFTER THE BREAK!!!" Then poor kid shits his pants and passes out...then Mr. Seacrap is like "Oh by the way, America loves you. Have a seat on the couch. BIG GRIN."

Ugh. I really did like that show and it pained me to give it up. But I have my principles and I don't tolerate annoying hosts very well.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

{Alcatraz} The lead could not compel me in the slightest

You lasted longer than I did. I gave up after the pilot because I had a constant refrain in my head..."If you wanted Katee Sachoff, why didn't you cast Katee Sachoff?"

I gave up on House after the whole interns debacle.

I gave up on House when I realized every episode was exactly the same. House and his team nearly kill the patient twice and then have a miraculous diagnosis in the last five minutes.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

I'm not watching Veep because I couldn't stand the way Julia Louis-Dreyfuss was routinely put down and humiliated at every turn in The New Adventures of Old Christine, and the ads for Veep convinced me it would be lots more of the same.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

I'm giving up Person of Interest...

I was on the verge of giving it up because the thread was killing my enjoyment of the show. Once I stopped reading that, the show became a pleasure to watch again. It would be nice to have a place to discuss it.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

I'm giving up Person of Interest because of the stupidity of CBS. This show is not "on demand" and they no longer give full episodes on their website. Sometimes I forget the show is on and forget to tape, yes, tape, it. I also know people who have to work on Thursday nights and don't remember to DVR or tape the show. Sorry POI, I love the show, hate CBS.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

EndoKE, that's why I gave up on it, too. I have a 4 month old baby--I can't watch any evening program at its normal time uninterrupted. Heck, he usually goes to sleep for the night around 9:30, and dammit, I'm right behind him! I'd be able to watch this if it were on demand or online, since whenever I nurse, I could switch it on. But no, CBS is stupid. And both my VCR and DVR no longer record.

I should say, though, that I plan on buying the first season when it comes out on DVD, even though I think I only watched regularly up to January. So I guess I haven't totally given up on it.

Edited by Corporal Agarn, May 4, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I haven't given up on Person of Interest, but it really has been a hassle. I don't have a DVR or VCR, so basically I have a friend (who is thankfully awesome) record it for me, and then I pick it up either after work or the next morning. But the whole no longer being online thing is just ridiculous. I know it's because of some issue between CBS and the company that produces it (WB, maybe? Not sure) about the rights, but they need to just figure this shit out, because they're probably losing some fans with this crap. I mean, they don't even have it on freaking I-tunes!

I also find it hilarious they actually have commercials for it whenever I'm watching another CBS show on On Demand, so it's like "Yeah, it would be nice to see it. Too bad you don't actually have it On Demand, assholes!"

Dregel00X

Dregel00X

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:56 AM

Honestly, I have given up on shows because my favorite male characters gets daughters.
Like Sawyer in Lost. I practically worshipped him but the same moment I realised he had a daughter I quit watching.
I wondered for years why it is like that, but finally understood why.
Let me start by saying; I donīt hate girls.
I always fallen for a certain kind of male character. Underdogs, brats, boyish men, bad boys, vulnerable and weak in ways. When they have daughters, they canīt, in my eyes, behave like that and be that kind of characters anymore. They lose the role I want them to have. If they have sons (or both sometimes) I donīt feel that way at all. I donīt even care, but if they have daughters, I expect more from them. Having an enormously close relationship with my own father, who I depend on for everything, I just canīt see a father of a girl as an sexobject or a brat or a bad boy. Then he is just a father in my eyes and I lose any other interest I might have had in him. So, Iīm not exactly proud, but I gave up Lost, that I loved so much, just because Sawyer had a daughter.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

I think I'm giving up on Hart of Dixie and its all because Wade's storyline at the end of the season. I didn't mind the love triangle plot, but the writers keep screwing Wade over. I don't mind the 'underdog' character or the 'underachiever who wants more' but seriously. EVERYTHING the guy tries to do ends like crap and its so hard to root for a guy that seemingly has the universe against him. I'm not tuning in next year to see his heart and dreams get stomped on some more.

Edited by Sara Sunshine, May 17, 2012 @ 1:07 PM.