Strange Reasons for Giving Up a Show

• Please log in to reply

2481 replies to this topic

mmecorday

mmecorday

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Sara Sunshine, I may have to give up "Ringer" for a similar reason -- whenever Ioan Gruffudd is on screen, I can only look at him and can't pay attention to anything else.

albaniantv

albaniantv

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Not sure if it's a strange reason or a usual one, but finally gave up on Harry's Law. They kept switching nights and times and characters and whole premises for the show. But I figured that was just first season panic attacks and a network that couldn't decide what kind of show they wanted or what viewers they were after.

Last year there was one episode where Kathy Bates (Harry) was sitting at her desk in this storefront in a bad urban neighborhood and she nonchalantly took out a gun and shot a rat.

Last week I watched it at the new time period, with all the characters of color pretty much gone, the storefront office gone, the smell of danger gone and I realized she would never have to shoot another rat. So, I quit.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

You know, I never watched Harry's Law regularly (though I liked it) and just caught it this week for the first time in ages, and I had a similar reaction. I kind of thought that them trying to have this law office/shoe store in that bad neighborhood and blackmailing gang members and stuff was kind of the point of the show. Now it's just another lawyer show with people sleeping around and getting indignant and whatnot and I'm not interested.

Edited by janie jones, Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:06 AM.

backhometome

backhometome

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

There are 2 shows where I am this close to giving up because the fandoms are the worst things ever. Gossip Girl and Supernatural. I gave up on GG for lots of other reasons than just the fandom but the GG fandom is prob. the worst ones Ive seen.

Supernatual - I dont know if this is unpopular or whatever but I love it still and am loving S7 but again the fandom is the worst thing ever. They turn everything into Sam Vs Dean or Wincest Vs. Destiel :rolleyes: The complainers are the worst I blame that on the section of Cas stans that whine about everything because Cas isnt on anymore. But low and behold all their whining brought them back their stupid angel. SPN Seasons 1-3 will always be my fav. because it focused on the BROTHERS but ever since S4 its been about angels/heaven/hell and I got bored by that by in S5. Not to mention how nasty the fans can be to the real life actors and their wives. Wishing Jared's unborn baby will die is prob. the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in this fandom.

Snow Apple

Snow Apple

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I gave up Supernatural for the same reason, because the fandom messed with my head. After cutting the forums off, my head started clearing up and I started watching and enjoying it again. There are episodes and storylines that I don't like as much as others, but at least I know that's my own emotions and nobody else's.

Edited by Snow Apple, Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:03 AM.

DirectEstoppel

DirectEstoppel

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

I gave up Supernatural for the same reason, because the fandom messed with my head.

Fandom is the main reason I gave up watching "Chuck" in 2010. I couldn't handle the constant praise for Yvonne Strahovski's acting; I found Sarah's "real" personality cold, moody, and shallow, and her looks can't override that.
The other reason was the wall to wall sci fi references I didn't understand.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I gave up Supernatural because of the hoyay, plain and simple.

I don't mind how many writers wrote for the X-Files too, if I'm going to watch a story about two brothers then it has to be a story about two brothers, I'm not interested in watching the story of a "semi-incestual-couple".

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Just a reminder: talking about fandoms is boards on boards. If thatís your reason, a brief mention is okay for purposes of posting in here, but please donít discuss it beyond that. There are many places on line to discuss fandoms, but this isnít one of them. Thanks.

sallymonelly

sallymonelly

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:13 AM

I've mostly given up on Supernatural because the writing sucks, the showrunner sucks and there has been nothing new since season 4. Season 5-7 have been the worst in my opinion and season 4, for me, was by far the best. I don't see any "brotherly love" between Dean and Sam and no brotherly bond. I see far more with Dean and Cas then I've ever seen with Dean and Sam.

The show going back to basics has to be one of the worst moves Gamble has made, and she's made one bad move after another, IMO.

Edited by sallymonelly, Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:14 AM.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I see far more with Dean and Cas then I've ever seen with Dean and Sam.

I don't mind the angelic plot per se, but I do mind the bad rip off of Paradise Lost myself.

Edited by grimm2, Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:56 PM.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

I'm not proud of this, but... I started watching the pilot for "Don't Trust the B**** in Apartment 23" and I had to stop halfway through because I was so distracted by Dreama Walker's teeth. It's especially bad considering I don't have the smallest teeth myself, but her character was so smiley and talkative, and any time she opened her mouth I was just thinking, "teeth, teeth, teeth!"

Yeah, there's a special place in Hell for me that I shall retire to now.

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

shego219 Oh I understand. Whenever I see the ads for Mirror, Mirror I just go 'EYEBROWS!' when I see the Snow White character. I'd a taken a tweezer, wax strips, and a weed whacker to those.

Just as a side note: I am distracted by any too bushy eyebrows including those of say, Andy Rooney and Peter Gallagher, not just those on ladies.

Edited by monty9, Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:37 AM.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

I gave up on Supernatural because of the way the show treats women.

Edited by agora, Mar 29, 2012 @ 7:03 AM.

sallymonelly

sallymonelly

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:35 AM

Oh I understand. Whenever I see the ads for Mirror, Mirror I just go 'EYEBROWS!

LOL, I thought it was just me, but yeah, I keep seeing one unibrow whenever Snow shows up.

I don't mind the angelic plot per se, but I do mind the bad rip off of Paradise Lost myself.

The bad fanfiction that Gamble is using for the episode stories in not even close to Paradise Lost. It's like comparing rotten fruit to fresh juicy ones. Gamble and the writers don't seem to have the talent to even come close to a classic story.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

No arguments there. Those Armageddon promos were eye-rolling to me.

Edited by grimm2, Mar 31, 2012 @ 5:46 PM.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I'm not proud of this, but... I started watching the pilot for "Don't Trust the B**** in Apartment 23" and I had to stop halfway through because I was so distracted by Dreama Walker's teeth. It's especially bad considering I don't have the smallest teeth myself, but her character was so smiley and talkative, and any time she opened her mouth I was just thinking, "teeth, teeth, teeth!"

Yeah, there's a special place in Hell for me that I shall retire to now.

Well, I tried to watch an Cougar Town, and I couldn't pay attention to anything because I kept thinking, What happened to Courteney Cox's face??

katbart

katbart

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

This is a show I haven't given up because I can't force myself to even try it. The Mentalist. I can't stand the way the star looks. I hate his hair, I hate his vest, I hate his fricking cup of tea! (though I don't mind Finch drinking tea of Person of Interest, haha). He gives me the willies. I have to turn of POI right after the previews for the next show so I don't have to look at his ugly ass.

snowflakey

snowflakey

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:28 AM

Katbart, that made me laugh. I watched part of the first season of The Mentalist and if you think the way he looks is annoying/creepy, his speech pattern/line delivery would just make it worse. He is supposed to be a smug, know it all, smartest guy in the room type, and the actor just nails it. I don't mean that in a good way.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

He even manages to look unbearably smug and pleased with himself in promo stills. I hate him.

I only watch The Mentalist when Malcolm McDowell guest stars as cult leader Brett Styles, because he elevates the whole show whenever he shows up.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

I only gave up on the Mentalists because I was already hooked with Psych. Didn't see the point to watch two shows about the same thing.

Edited by agora, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:37 AM.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

I can't take Simon Baker's character on The Mentalist seriously because I always think of him as the actor/prostitute he played in L.A. Confidential.

I only gave up on the Mentalists because I was already hooked with Psych. Didn't see the point to watch two shows about the same thing.

I've never seen Psych and have only seen The Mentalist a few times, but isn't the guy on Psych pretending to be psychic? And I thought the guy on The Mentalist is just good at reading people and never pretends to be psychic. I don't know, maybe it amounts to the same thing, since they're using the same techniques.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Psych is deliberately silly at times where on the other hand The Mentalist more frequently dips into dark. The main character, who is good at reading people and an expert hypnotist, calmly shot someone to death at point-blank range in a crowded shopping mall. Another character had to blow her fiancee away and has been displaying a disturbing taste for violence since then. I don't watch Psych because James Roday's character makes me want to slap the hell out of him, but I also think the two shows are very different.

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I've never seen Psych and have only seen The Mentalist a few times, but isn't the guy on Psych pretending to be psychic? And I thought the guy on The Mentalist is just good at reading people and never pretends to be psychic. I don't know, maybe it amounts to the same thing, since they're using the same techniques.

When the Mentalist started, he was an ex-fake psychic that's good at reading people. Psych is about a guy who is currently pretending to be psychic that's good a noticing details and reading people. They've deviated a lot, but when the Mentalist started it was a little more light hearted and the premises were very similar. I didn't watch the Mentalist for the same reason as agora

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

I watched the first episode of The Mentalist and the whole episode I thought "if his wife/fam was killed by that murderer I'm so done" and they were and I was.

I'm about to give up on Iron Chef America, not because they don't show Morimoto enough or they show way too much Bobby Flay or even they have added way too many new Iron Chefs, but because of Kevin Brausch's facial hair. He has this teeny little "soul stripe" that distracts me. If he feels he MUST do a soul patch (which really he shouldn't) at least do a normal sized one, but one stripe of what looks almost like eyebrow pencil is just weird and annoying.

pemyquid

pemyquid

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

I'm about to give up on Touch because Kieffer S. spends so much time every episode yelling "Jake? Jake! JAKE!!" and breathing in this extremely hitchy, irritating way. All while following his weird son all over NYC. Endlessly.

Edited by pemyquid, Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:46 AM.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

I'm going to keep watching Touch for at least a while longer, but I know what you mean, pemyquid. I love Kiefer, but I wish he'd stop panting with every line delivery. I guess "Jake" is this season's "WALLLLLT!".

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

I haven't watched Touch yet because, watching adoptive children trying to ditch their parents only so the biological one would take them back, its why I almost gave up on Once Upon a Time.

I just want to figure out if Jake its one of those first.

Edited by agora, Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:03 PM.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I only watched the first episode so I could be wrong, but I didn't get the impression that Jake's adopted. And the whole getting saved from evil adopted mom by "good" (and incredibly smug) biomom is what turned me off from Once Uoon a Time too.

I had to give up on Alcatraz once the cute coroner asked out Jorge Garcia's character. I just couldn't take one more instance of pretty, thin girl with fat, schlubby guy. The double standard bugs.

Edited by Cynic, Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:34 PM.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

I've given up on Touch because I think the whole 'everybody/everything is connected plot' is a lot more interesting/funnier on Dirk Gently.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

And the whole getting saved from evil adopted mom by "good" (and incredibly smug) biomom is what turned me off from Once Uoon a Time too.

Trust me, one more episode of the "eternal wisdom of the biomom" and I'm done with Once Upon a Time for good.

*ETA:

I only watched the first episode so I could be wrong, but I didn't get the impression that Jake's adopted.

Good to know, I might give the show a chance after all.

Edited by agora, Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:06 PM.