Strange Reasons for Giving Up a Show

• Please log in to reply

2481 replies to this topic

Lady B

Lady B

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 12:27 PM

I used to be the biggest X-Files fan ever. Then one morning about a month before the movie came out I woke up and hated the show. I couldn't stand it any longer. Just watching a nanosecond of it, made me sick. I erased all my tapes, hid my books and took down my big "the truth is out there" poster. I haven't seen a single minute of the show since.

mamurd

mamurd

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 1:59 PM

I think we've got a theme of 'boycott Show A on behalf of Show B" thing going here.

I refused to watch The O.C. because it replaced my beloved Keen Eddie. I love a good soap, but I loved Keen Eddie more. Even when I heard about all the HoYay, I still refused. (But then I heard there was going to be a bi character and, being bi myself, I broke down and watched it. Now I love it. But I'm still bitter about Keen Eddie!)

Edited by mamurd, May 18, 2005 @ 1:59 PM.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 2:07 PM

I gave up on Law and Order and pretty much other law related shows once I started law school.

Me, too. I stopped watching because of how inaccurate it could be about the law.

I can't watch The Apprentice because of Donald's hair. It makes my blood pressure rise. Seriously.

Edited by nicepebbles, May 18, 2005 @ 2:08 PM.

doctorwu

doctorwu

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 2:17 PM

I refused to watch the early seasons of Law and Order, even though it was getting good reviews, because NBC was always promoting it as "RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES!!!" and I thought it would be a completely different type of show than how it turned out. I forget when or why I started watching it, though it was after Orbach and Waterston were on, but once I did, it became one of my favorites and I regretted missing the earlier seasons.

DesiChick88

DesiChick88

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 3:22 PM

I refused to watch Roswell because it took Charmed's time slot, and Charmed was moved to Sunday. It's not like Charmed was cancelled or anything. In my defense, I was like 12 when it happened.

ShunnedforLife

ShunnedforLife

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 3:36 PM

Oooh that reminds me

I refused to watch Smallville when the WB cancelled Roswell. I mean they cancelled a show about an alien to add... a show about an alien?

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 4:37 PM

I refused to watch Roswell because it took Charmed's time slot, and Charmed was moved to Sunday. It's not like Charmed was cancelled or anything. In my defense, I was like 12 when it happened.

And I won't watch Blind Justice because it comes on in NYPD Blue's time slot, even though NYPD Blue was ending anyway. For me, any show in that formerly special time slot is bound to disappoint.

Beelzebubba

Beelzebubba

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 4:39 PM

I quit watching Carnivale with one episode left of the first series because I realized they weren't going to finish the storyline at all. Come on, they can't tie up ONE FREAKIN' LOOSE END in 13 weeks? If I sound bitter, it still pisses me off that I wasted my time with this show.

I know it's a slow series, but HBO is famous for having a year or two between seasons. Fuck that. And I never went back.

From the other side of the coin, has anyone had any Strange Reasons for Picking Up a Show? For instance, I've always heard about Red Dwarf, it's a Sci-Fi show and sounded completely uninteresting to me. But I finally read a synopsis of the show and I'm interested in seeing it if only to see what The Cat will be like.

ETA: It's cancelled. Sweet! Sorry for the fans, though.

Edited by Beelzebubba, May 18, 2005 @ 4:42 PM.

Penfold

Penfold

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 4:39 PM

And I won't watch Blind Justice because it comes on in NYPD Blue's time slot, even though NYPD Blue was ending anyway.

I hear Blind Justice just got the axe, due to extreme crapitude. Poor Ron Eldard. He just can't catch a break.

Edited by Penfold, May 18, 2005 @ 4:40 PM.

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 4:50 PM

I stopped watching Joan of Arcadia because the Duff sisters were going to guest star.

I refuse to watch Desperate Housewives because it is doing so much better than Lost. I always hate shows that get better rating than my shows do.

CaliSerenity

CaliSerenity

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 4:55 PM

cancelled Dark Angel 24 hours after it was RENEWED just for that show

Now all they play is Battlestar Galactica and a bazillion Stargates.

I refused to watch Smallville when the WB cancelled Roswell.

(We seem to hit the same wavelengths sometimes). I didn't know that Dark Angel had a renewal announcement, then was cancelled! Good thing I didn't know that back then! I'm sure fans threw a fit when they heard that.

I'm a huge Stargate fan, but I think it is pretty silly to have 5 hours of it on Monday nights. At my house, if you're able to sit through all 5 hours, then you're a true Stargate geek.

I think I might have refused to watch Smallville for the same reason, but I don't remember. I think so.

I refuse to watch any kind of reality TV shows because I am altogether against this type of programming, and too many good shows have died because of this. Voyeurism should be outlawed!

I posted something to this effect on another thread:

I refused to watch the 7th season of Charmed after they killed off Chris because he was killed off for emotional pull for season finale dramatics, and the character was popular and the actor didn't even want to leave the show! . . . but I did end up watching towards the end of the season anyway.

Maybe this thread should be titled "I refuse to watch this show because . . ." "_"

Edited by CaliSerenity, May 19, 2005 @ 1:50 PM.

BermudaSquareGirl22

BermudaSquareGirl22

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 5:38 PM

Still, I knew who everyone was, what each person's situation was, etc. I feel you don't really need to watch a show when you can just get all the info via osmosis.

This is so me, with regards to Veronica Mars, One Tree Hill, Everwood, and Desperate Housewives. I'm such an information nerd (I read the Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide cover to cover, regardless of whether the articles are about shows/movies/etc I like or not, just because I know that if EW or TVG is talking about something, it's good), plus my friends are all way into the soapy thing. All you have to do is read the Tivo's synopses for a various show before it airs and the recaplet the day after (if applicable), and boom! You too can be a Watercooler Poseur!

As for why I truly never started watching any of those shows (really, I've never seen an episode of any of the above), it varies. For Veronica Mars and One Tree Hill, it was just too difficult to do in the booked Tuesdays-at-9 slot. (I have a Tivo on one TV and an un-pimped TV in the other room, so this season I taped TAR, watched House in the other room, and tried [and failed] to watch Scrubs during commercials.) For Everwood, my friend is addicted and wanted me to watch the whole first season on DVD before I started watching new episodes, and I'm too lazy for that. And for Desperate Housewives, I taped the first 5 episodes or so, but I never watched them, so they were deleted. By that time, I figured that since I was beginning to OD on Desperate Housewives gossip and whatnot without even watching the show, then I'd be too annoyed and irritated to hear the media raves plus listen to watercooler gossip PLUS actually spend an hour a week watching it.

Anyway, I've gotten pretty good at coasting by. I've learned that you can never really use too many "I love Ephram, but he's an ass!" or "I totally can't believe they haven't revealed why Mary Alice killed herself yet!" in a conversation.

Irregardless

Irregardless

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 6:04 PM

And that is why I cannot watch Family Guy, because if any show deserves to come back, it's Futurama.

Exactly. And then there's American Dad...

I stopped watching Desperate Housewives when they won a Comedy Golden Globe. Not like you need to watch the show itself, anyway. Every entertainment show on the face of the Earth practically gives a play-by-play every Monday.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 6:37 PM

Affairs will make me stop watching a show. I expect it in a daytime soap, but if Will had done anything with Lucy in the now defunct Joan of Arcadia, I would've stopped watching. I refuse to watch a show that glorifies extramarital affairs.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 7:01 PM

I stopped watching Veronica Mars for one normal reason and one maybe strange reason.

Normal?I was bored out of my mind in the small time I watched it.

Not so normal? I became sick of people telling me how I should be considering it the best television show ever. This is also the reason why I'll be watching House reruns throughout the summer and not giving the show another chance.

Edited by DumbBrunette, May 18, 2005 @ 7:01 PM.

DesiChick88

DesiChick88

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 8:42 PM

Because I'm curious, which VM episodes did you watch, DumbBrunette?

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 9:19 PM

It was back when it had Shawn Ashmore's twin brother (playing Troy, IIRC) in it.

Edited by DumbBrunette, May 18, 2005 @ 9:26 PM.

hypnotoad

hypnotoad

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 9:40 PM

I never watched Buffy when it originally ran because it was so popular I was sick of hearing about it.

I've done that with many shows! It took reruns for me to love Buffy and The Simpsons, and learn that Friends, X-Files, and Family Guy were pretty good.

Back on topic...when Married With Children first aired, I thought it was a satire. I stopped watching when I realized I was giving the show way too much credit.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 10:01 PM

Hypnotoad, I felt exactly the same abbout Married With Children.

I thought it was a clever counterpoint to the nicely-nicely world of the usual family US sitcom. I soon realised it was just dumb.

rockdj

rockdj

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 10:55 PM

I gave up Survivor after they had the audience give away another million. It wasn't even who they gave it to, though that was painful enough in itself, but that they felt the need to do so. I couldn't watch after that.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 8:15 AM

I stopped watching Joan of Arcadia because the Duff sisters were going to guest star.

Well ... that's actually a good reason, IMO.

I have refused to give One Tree Hill the time of day because seriously, from what I gathered from the promos, it's VC Andrews, except with teenage boys. And every time I catch a promo, it looks stupid and trashy. And not in a good way.

Edited by FfrauleinN, May 19, 2005 @ 8:18 AM.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 8:20 AM

I avoided the first three seasons of Friends. Mainly because I was fed up with all the hype over it by the time it aired over here and what I knew of the characters I didn't like. Then midway through season 3 I caught an episode or two and actually enjoyed it and managed to catch up pretty quickly because as it happened, all three seasons at that time were being shown on different channels.

Anyway, fast forward a few years and it's season 6 or 7 and I've just got a computer and somehow it was always too much trouble to tear myself away from it in time to go and watch new episodes of Friends and I never watched it regularly again.

ShunnedforLife

ShunnedforLife

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 10:56 AM

I gave up Survivor after they had the audience give away another million. It wasn't even who they gave it to, though that was painful enough in itself, but that they felt the need to do so. I couldn't watch after that.

They gave it to Rupert. I think they just wanted Rupert to finally win something.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 11:09 AM

I have decided to never again watch a first run series on Fox due to their atrocious record of cancelling quality shows before their time. We all know the names of these shows.

In my mind, Fox doesn't make ongoing TV series. They make straight to DVD miniseries which happen to have free previews on TV.

rockdj

rockdj

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 11:51 AM

They gave it to Rupert. I think they just wanted Rupert to finally win something.

That they did. As much as I hate Rupert, I think I still would have been done with the show if they'd given the money to anyone else. The concept of giving the money based on an audience vote just didn't sit well with me, probably because it was so obvious they wanted him to have it.

DrCher

DrCher

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 4:51 PM

Oh, lordy, this thread was created just for neurotic me....

-Never tuned into CSI because it is on CBS. Hate CBS but don't know why.
-Never watched Everybody Loves Raymond because I have an ex-stepfather named Raymond that I don't love and see above.
-Stopped watching Scrubs when Heather Graham joined the cast. She's such a waste of space. I won't even watch the Arrested Development episode in which she guest-starred.
-Stopped watching Alias when they gave her a boring sister.
-No longer watch anything on SciFi channel because of Farscape's cancellation.
-Stopped watching Angel when James Marsters joined the cast. Like Heather Graham, he's a waste of space.
-Never watched The West Wing because I saw a stupid promo during the first season where the President was speaking with a scared Radioman. I was in the Navy at the time and that just reeked of b.s.
-Never watched JAG because it was just too fakety fake fake.
-Wouldn't tune into Blind Justice because the promos overused that one Alanis song.
-Never watched Joan of Arcadia, no matter how good people said the show was, because I can't stand religious shows.

There are tons more... but this is all I have time for.

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 6:12 PM

Although I love forensic crime shows, I found I couldn't stomach CSI. It (what I take is called the TMI-Cam) was too gross, and the episodes I saw had the same agents doing jobs that in real life, many other people would be doing (like interrogating suspects.) The characters didn't grab me, nor did the writing.

El Kabong

El Kabong

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 9:16 PM

Stopped watching Scrubs when Heather Graham joined the cast. She's such a waste of space. I won't even watch the Arrested Development episode in which she guest-starred.

You do know she was only in, like, three or four episodes, right? And that she's not coming back?

CanSpy

CanSpy

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 9:31 PM

This is probably pretty stupid, but when the O.C promos were really starting to flood my beloved CTV, I would get pissed off because they never explained what an "O.C" was. Was it some legal thing? Is it a department store? That and there never seemed to be any sort of premise besides "Broody skeleton girl meets broody wooden-faced boy from the wrong side of the tracks. They stand near each other and brood." I even tried reading the reacp for the first episode and as much as I love djb's Roswell recaps, it just did nothing for me.

Has anyone else from Canada refused to watch a show because all the ads run and the show sounds amazing but the Canadian release happens far too late?

Edited by CanSpy, May 19, 2005 @ 9:32 PM.

inanna

inanna

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2005 @ 9:42 PM

I have refused to watch programs on CTV simply because they irritate the hell out of me by showing a promo for the same program after every damn commercial. No more Canadian Idol, Sue Thomas:F. B. Eye or Medium promos please!