The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 10:51 PM

made one of the finest hours in food television

Which show fpdid he watch because his special was absolute crap that wasn't original in any way.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

If you read the contract that contestants for NFS contestants sign to be own the show, FN basically owns their souls and any first born offspring. I don't think Justin showing up at a Food and Wine Festival or doing a blog shows any embracing of FN of him. Fans obviously liked him, or they wouldn't have voted for him. FN is just milking him for all they can get out of the contract he signed. I'll be surprised to see him on any future FN show. Disclaimer - I never liked him. I think he is an egotistical punk.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Justin's like the kid that thinks just because he's gotten his first job at McDonald's he should be directing who does what, and should not have to work the fryer or mop the floors.

Maybe that's because he watches The Food Network?

Because the message I get from most of their shows is that being a successful "chef" is all about being Totally Awesome (and generally really well connected) and has nothing to do with skills or training or experience. Which is not to say that some of them don't have skills and training and experience, but it feels like the ones who do have to ritually humiliate themselves on increasingly ludicrous shows or demonstrate how to grill (or both, but I hear then they let you be a producer).

Except for Ina Garten, but I don't think they want to be banned from the Hamptons for messing with her.

AAR, Justin is pretty much the perfect Food Network product. 

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 2:45 AM

Even after the show aired, Justin bragged that he insisted on doing it his way--unscripted, no editing, etc. He probably found AB too much of a perfectionist (clashing with his own idea of "perfection"--no script, no retakes, etc.) Hence, the cut-out rather than actually having AB as his producer. Justin could just do it all himself!  Genius!!!

That's how I see him and his show and I have zero sympathy for him. I think FN is being pretty nice letting him blog and make a few appearances. I can't imagine he's enough of a "draw" to make a big deal about--it would be so easy to just say "bye" but maybe someone sees the "nice guy" under the arrogance.

Which show did he watch because his special was absolute crap that wasn't original in any way.

That's the thing. If you're that arrogant, esp. starting out in a new business (tv production), you'd better have the talent to back it up. He didn't--and he still doesn't seem to acknowledge that.

He was my first choice at the time because he -did- have that "different" quality and I thought he and Alton could make an interesting and different kind of show together. Now I wish the winner had been Martie or Emily. To me, the Justin win was just a waste of an opportunity for someone who would have appreciated it.

I'm sure Damaris will take the opportunity and successfully run with it.

Edited by Kali12, Aug 25, 2013 @ 2:47 AM.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 2:57 AM

Getting to blog and do a demo at the festival aren't nearly the same as him being used on television on the network. FWIW the Food and Wine Festival the year of the win and the following year are part of the contract. The winner gets to do a demo of their own and the following year they're contracted to do a demo with the new winner. If Justin really believed Rebel Eats was one of the finest hours of food TV then I really do wonder how out of control his ego is. That comment reeks of arrogance. Maybe if FN did offer him other small things to do he felt it was below his culinary genius heh.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

If you read the contract that contestants for NFS contestants sign to be own the show, FN basically owns their souls and any first born offspring. I don't think Justin showing up at a Food and Wine Festival or doing a blog shows any embracing of FN of him. Fans obviously liked him, or they wouldn't have voted for him. FN is just milking him for all they can get out of the contract he signed. I'll be surprised to see him on any future FN show. Disclaimer - I never liked him. I think he is an egotistical punk.

Does the contract have an "out" for them if they don't want to do business with someone?  I would think they world word it so that they could back out at any time.  I don't think they love or hate him, they know the fans liked him so they are just giving him everything they originally promised.  Which I think is more than he probably deserves.

AAR, Justin is pretty much the perfect Food Network product. 

Yeah, really, with him they reaped what they've sown.

If Justin really believed Rebel Eats was one of the finest hours of food TV then I really do wonder how out of control his ego is. That comment reeks of arrogance. Maybe if FN did offer him other small things to do he felt it was below his culinary genius heh.         

My thoughts exactly.  It's too bad because the audience obviously expected better of him.  I liked him myself, and didn't see this arrogance during his time on FNS, but seeing this makes me realize he is everything that is arrogant and full of itself about the Brooklyn hipster set.   NOT attractive at all.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 9:39 AM

I looked forward to Justin's show as I thought it would be something along the lines of the thing Marcel Vigneron did on SyFy, a show about taking food to another level (Marcel's show didn't last past 6 episodes either, but it was interesting). Then I ran into Alton Brown on a flight to LAX and from the look on his face and the way he answered my questions about Justin, I could tell Justin was going nowhere with him or the network.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

I just think Justin may have fantasized something boundary breaking, since it was Alton Brown, and didn't take a look at what Alton Brown's doing these days or what Food Network's showing. 

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

Back to this show, please.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 6:00 PM

They've tried with other people and they failed. Even the winners of this show have come and gone except for Guy.

I've liked "most" of the winners of the show but I'm not going to take the extra step to watch an unimaginative, boring show.

10 dollar dinners or whatever it's called lasted a long time, more than many other network shows.  Hell even Big Daddy's House lasted quite a while for network standards.  Whether they became big stars or not is another matter.  

The sandwich king, whose appeal I do not get nor do I believe he is any sort of culinary expert, showed up on that stupid Bobby Flay show.  What is the point of the show.  We have Iron Chef and we had the Showdown with Bobby Flay which was much more engaging.  Trying to squeeze Alex (who I love) and the sandwich king (who sounds stupid) into numerous shows is just ridiculous. But I do think that's the way they should go for their winners.  Just give them a presence on the network through existing shows and take the time to come up with a show that really works.  Melissa was given a show that had absolutely nothing to do with her point of view.  It's not why I rooted for her during her season.  I wasn't going to tune in for that.

floretbroccoli

floretbroccoli

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

I really enjoyed Damaris on the Alton Browncast.  Much more than I ever enjoyed her on TNFNS.  I think that she was conflicted.  She wanted to win the game, but wasn't convinced that she wanted her own show.

The interview was so engaging that I even liked AB more than I have for years.

And the most recent podcast had guests Susie Fogelson and Bob Tuschman.  AB hinted that the podcast would address THE BIG CONTROVERSY.  It did not.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

I was just watching an episode of "Cupcake Wars" which was probably a rerun, since it was on at 2 PM in the afternoon, but the winner, Hollis Wilder, had as her assistant, Emily Ellyn, from last year's NFNS

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 27, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

Started a new thread in How-To Reality for Damaris's new show, Southern At Heart, and moved the posts about that show into that thread.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

One of those "in case you're interested" kind of things... I was looking for cookbooks on Ebay and found some auctions of things from Martie, Emily, Linki and Michelle selling things for charity. Not expensive, and very nice of them, I thought. You can do a search by their names if you want to take a look.

There's life after NFNS after all! :)

Astriferous

Astriferous

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

I don't know why they keep doing this.  Much like American Idol, there are far more has-beens than actual "stars" coming off this shit program.  Even the winner who's has the most longevity, Guy Fieri, is an absolutely annoying twat.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

I fell asleep on the couch the other night and when I woke up there was an infomercial on for one of those machines that vacuum seals food in plastic.  I thought I recognized one of the hosts and kept watching to figure it out.  I'm pretty sure it was the girl on a grill lady...I think her name is Nicki?  Another FNS success story!

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 5:39 AM

News from Justin Warner. He said he's going to be involved in several shows this year and thanks to everyone for being patient while he finds his footing. No idea where these shows will air or what they are about but if I hear anything else I'll post it here.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 5:08 PM

News from Justin Warner. He said he's going to be involved in several shows this year and thanks to everyone for being patient while he finds his footing. No idea where these shows will air or what they are about but if I hear anything else I'll post it here. 

I don't even care anymore, he's two seasons ago, by the time he pops up again, no one will remember him at all.

Totale

Totale

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 8:32 PM

Exactly.  Justin who.  I'd be more ineterested in an Emily show.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2014 @ 11:25 PM

I know for sure one of the shows he'll be involved in is being a guest judge on that new show Beat Bobby Flay. Every week there will be a rotating panel of 3 different judges so it wouldnt even be a regular gig.  I'll be curious to see what else he ends up doing but IMO that ship has sailed.