The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:09 AM

About Nikki possibly ending popping up elsewhere. FYI but they haven't exactly been handing out shows to non-winners all that recently. I think the last non winner to get a show was Tom Pizzica after season 6 and that was pretty short lived, the most we saw of season 7 losers was on a FNS edition of Chopped. They struck gold with Kelsey but think they're hesitant to invest now with many people from this show now.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:12 AM

Its at least possible they could go the route of giving the runner up a web series though.  That worked out for them at least once.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:37 AM

Russell's hesitation talking is really annoying.

I agree, it's like he trained at the Gordon Ramsey school of reality cooking shows. I keep waiting for him to say " I have the most AMAZING dish to show you!" 

RobertDeSneero

RobertDeSneero

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:43 AM

Alton's criticism of Nikki was accurate.  In a way, her problem is that she's not a good BS artist, which requires you to pretend that you believe what you're slinging.  It would have been interesting to see her subjected to some intense make-her-or-break-her coaching from Alton.

Out of the four left, I'd probably be most likely to watch a show with Pie Fieri.  Mushmouth is the guy I would probably be most willing to watch cook something I am not interested in eating.

Pauline Fowler

Pauline Fowler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:46 AM

Watching Nikki go reminded me of Kelsey Nixon. She also was criticized by the judges for not showing food authority and she also left in tears. And, look at how successful Kelsey's now. Probably down the down, the network would realize that they made a mistake letting Nikki go.

With Flay's backing, Nikki could well go the Kelsey Nixon route and hone her skills on a web show for a couple of years. Flay produces Kelsey's show, so it's not that far-fetched that Nikki could find a place on CC, in time.

As for the rest, I'm in agreement with the consensus of the board: Alton's a dick, LBH is cluless, and the final four can follow those two off a short pier, save Demaris, whose presentation is improving. My only worry with her is that FN is already stacked with Southern POV shows. I didn't really pay much attention to early episodes; can she go in another direction, or, as someone suggested, will the winner have a "Ten Dollar Dinner" show waiting for them?  IF they even get a full 6 episodes anymore.

My growing emnity for Alton and LBH has actually made me miss Kermit and Medusa. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say about Pah Stahl, Stacy's manic grin, another Southern chick, and the lone minority. FWIW, FN's been pretty "pale" of late, and the Russell redemption arc began tonight...he may well take this thing.

true gamester

true gamester

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:47 AM

Stacy is getting the villain edit. All those smirks when Nikki failed. Asking for sympathy from her competitors. But who is the hero? Will nice girl Damaris beat mean girl Stacy? Or will average Joe Pie Guy beat rich elitist Stacy. (I don't think Russell stands a chance.)

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 12:50 AM

I swear I've eaten at that restaurant before.  The name is so familiar.

Funny that Alton said he couldn't figure out that it was Damaris who made her dish, but seems to have no problem with Russell's dish which had nothing to do with either sins or revolution.

I know the technique of poaching plastic wrapped roulades but did I miss a nuance of what Russel did?  He said his poaching liquid was onion and vermouth or some liquor....sorry can't seem to remember off the top of my head.  Anyway, not sure what the means if the chicken and spinach were in the plastic?

Yeah, that was bugging me.  If the things were sealed, how were they poached in liquid?

Edited by corvus13, Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:01 AM.

Stoofy T

Stoofy T

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:05 AM

Vanilla chicken strikes again!

I wish Anne Burrell had been around for the Special K challenge, just to see that.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:39 AM

I think that if Russel can get his presentation act together, he could be a shoe-in for winning. The reason why is since FN no longer uses the Neelys, Sunny Anderson, BigDaddy and Aarti, there is not a person of color on their network. An added bonus is that Russel does have cooking chops.

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 5:24 AM

So Rodney is memorable and entertaining.  I agree he is but for me it's not the glowing way the judges feel he is.  He's memorable and entertaining in a horrible way.  What food authority has he shown?  He's asked what pie style is and says it's a way of life.  I've yet to see any pie he's made that looks good.  The first pie he made this time looked disgusting.  If I remember last year when Robert did a challenge he got upset when the kitchen was messed up but this time really didn't say anything negative when Rodney was being "cute" with the flour. Out of everyone left I guess Russel would be the won I would root for.   I wouldn't want Stacy to win because the network would just have another version of Giada.  I find Stacy to be as fake as Giada is. 

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 6:08 AM

With Rodney staying I'm left wondering- Are they trying to fill an actual cooking show or get a host for a show about food? The only reason I see for Rodney still being on is if they're after a host. I do find him like-able, especially compared to Stacy.  I just don't trust his cooking expertise. He has had too many bad dishes.

Which may be the reason why they're not on him about being a food authority either.  I think they may have a couple of different show ideas they're already trying to fill, and Rodney would be one to fill the Fieri type.  The only thing, though, is that even though Guy is a special kind of douche all his own, he does know a lot more about food than Pie Douche ever could.

My growing emnity for Alton and LBH has actually made me miss Kermit and Medusa. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say about Pah Stahl, Stacy's manic grin, another Southern chick, and the lone minority. FWIW, FN's been pretty "pale" of late, and the Russell redemption arc began tonight...he may well take this thing.

Judging from the promos for next week, it doesn't look like they're going to be too impressed with most of them.  Usually the "healthy vegetarian" never makes it to the finale, so even though Nikki impressed me, she didn't really stand a chance.  Southern usually doesn't make it either but you never know, what with Paula Deen not being there anymore that slot is vacant, although they filmed this thing before that scandal broke.  Perhaps it'll be Russell and Damaris in the final.  Then the public gets to vote this time.  I'd vote for Damaris because I just can't warm to Russell.  The way things are going, I doubt I'll be happy with whoever wins.  Actually, I'd only be mad if Pah Stayl won.  That guy is a friggin' joke!

Without Nikki there, I'm rooting for Damaris.  Russell I'm not so hot on, redemption or not.  To me he's just "meh".  Stacey is far too annoying and Pie Hole can just go back into the fantasyland  he came from.

MoeBee

MoeBee

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 6:43 AM

Since "America" supposedly votes for the winner, I will do all I can in my own small way to stuff the virtual ballot box for that dimwit PieHole. This show deserves this simpleton, and it would serve them right to have two "stars" in a row go down in flames.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 6:44 AM

What restaurant would serve his Hot Pocket meal?  -smiley13

I can't fathom any diner being served that WTF mess and not immediately asking for the manager.  Rodney's dish was an embarrassment, but since he's always as proud and shameless as a 4-year-old serving up a mud pie--er, I mean muhh pahhh--it's the so-called "mentors" to blame for his shit.

"this is what I DOOOOOOOOOOOO!" -cooksdelight

She's  horrible.  I want to (figuratively) punch her in her mad cow eye-rolling face.

Alton Brown is just vile. -Esteban

I never really watched his shows but use his recipes because they work.  Has he always been such an insufferable dick?

Star quality?  really?  Star Quality is not the same thing as "Hats" . -backformore

Hilarious!  You win.

I'm so disappointed Nikki didn't prominently feature the broccoli cake and leave off two thirds of the rice.  That vegetable cake is what I was most interested in on her dish and it totally fit her POV of "meat on the side".  That was a HUGE mistake, causing the not so great and poorly described rice to become the focus and ultimately send her home--but then it probably didn't matter what she did.  Rodney fucked up on  both challenges and was never in any danger of leaving.  It was blatantly obvious the judges never, for one moment, entertained the idea of giving Rodney the boot.  Add to that the fact that I despise him and it's plain he's going to win.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 6:48 AM

MoeBee, if Facebook is any indicator, you won't have to stuff too hard. Everyone loves him. I don't for the life of me understand why. Especially after last night.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:03 AM

PieDouche is worse.  He may actually really be this person.  So I suppose we can't really use "fake" as the buzz word for him.  But he's a dingbat.  A dumbbell.  A doofus.  And NOT the lovable kind.  He's the kind who annoys you at all turns.  Who's totally tone deaf to anything going on around him which requires even a modicum of good sense, awareness of his environment, any amount of adaptability, and/or any ability to go outside his little box.   Some dumb people you can easily forgive and spin as "lovable".  But not this guy. He's dimwitted AND irritating.  -Kromm

This is just a fantastic description of Rodney.  You've beautifully put into words  what I think of him and exactly why I have such intense animus towards him.  This is also why I don't hate Russell even though he's got his own kind of sad shtick going on.  Russell is benign, harmless and for me, a tiny bit loveable.  Russell's silly clothes/hair/mannerisms really hurt no one but him.  Rodney's bullshit is like a punch in the face with a fist pump and verbal "Pwnd, Suckah!" afterward.

shibori

shibori

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:08 AM

PieDouche is worse. He may actually really be this person. So I suppose we can't really use "fake" as the buzz word for him. But he's a dingbat. A dumbbell. A doofus.

He reminds me of a cross of Curly from the Three Stooges and Will Sasso's character from Drop Dead Gorgeous.

JillSchorr

JillSchorr

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 7:21 AM

I live in Baltimore and have been to Rodney's pie shop a few times and have picked up some of his pies at our local farmers markets.  His pies are really good and his crust is killer.  I am not sure how the program is edited down, but Im wondering if he has limited time to bake/cook that his pies look like crap on the show.  

The schitk that Rodney has on the show?  That is the real deal.  We have spoken to him a few times and that is exactly the guy I am seeing on tv.  He can talk your ear off!  I remember we were deciding between 2 pies and he must of talked to us for a half hour..and we bought both pies.

I really can't see a show centered on pie.  Sandwich guy I could.  Pie guy I can't.  However, that being said, I totally see FN setting Rodney up to be a host of some type of road show..like Guy.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:02 AM

Rodney has like 19 lives. Ugh.

I love Demaris and Rusell I think is kind of stealthy. His food has is consistently good and he is improving on presentation. He's nice looking but not in a conventional way, and seems to have a laid back personality. I would be fine if either of them won and might even watch something they do.

Stacy is just a non factor to me. I don't like her or dislike her.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

As for FN looking for another host, while Guy Fieri is front and center since they run Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives (still in production) so much, he also still has a daytime cooking show, Guy's Big Bite, which started it's 14th season in April. So he's a past winner that is still doing something more than hosting a show. I'm not sure FN is looking for a host, necessarily, just  someone they can put on camera that will attract ad dollars if they happen to find someone via this show, which would just be a bonus (like Sandwich King).

Edited by chessiegal, Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:30 AM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

Aaaaaand there goes my interest in this season. I guess I'll root for Damaris now, but Nikki was the only one whose show I would have actually watched.

That is pretty much exactly what I was thinking as I thought about the final four. Blech, Blech, Demaris, and Blech. It's super disappointing, because even though I agree that Nikki needs to be able to answer a question like, "what makes this rice pilaf?" with confidence, I still preferred her to the others.

What kills me is that they threw Nikki out because she isn't a very credible food expert, which is exactly the kind of thing I am normally crying out for this show to do, and yet I'm still annoyed.

Heh. This show does such a good job of hitting my negative buttons in the right way to keep me entertained.

katnapped

katnapped

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

What kills me is that they threw Nikki out because she isn't a very credible food expert

Yup...simply how "it's becuz PAH STAHL" just conveys 'expert', doesn't it?

Leighdear

Leighdear

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

I'll admit, I laughed out loud when Rodney talked about driving around in "PieForceOne"....

And I loved Damaris's presentation with Robert Irvine, her New York accent & the almost-fist bump.  It came off totally natural and was very Damaris.  

There are too many "on the road" food shows as it is.  They certainly don't need Rodney for yet another one.  

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

Mentoring is not "you need to show more authority! Now, show me authority!" It's guidance on how to achieve that authority, from how to learn more about the technical aspect of food to how to stand and move to convey confidence.

They could teach Nikki the qualities they think she's missing, but they'd rather prop up a guy who's inarticulate and hasn't produced more than one edible dish. Because he wears a hat. Or something.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:16 AM

If you go to FN and look to see which recipes they've published of this year's contestants, it sort of tells the tale. Mostly Stacey, Nikki, Damaris, a couple from Russell and Chad. 2 from Rodney, the berry pie and that layered cocktail thing.

Yet, they keep Rodney around, let Chad go and we're supposed to believe they want someone who's a food authority? Then why not publish ALL of Rodney's recipes? Because they are bad, so far.

His pies are really good and his crust is killer.  I am not sure how the program is edited down, but Im wondering if he has limited time to bake/cook that his pies look like crap on the show.

Most of the time, they have an hour. If he can't bake a good pie in an hour, something's wrong. And reading reviews on TripAdvisor, there are a lot of people who don't care for his pies at all. I guess it's all a matter of taste on any given day. :) I agree with the poster who said he should have created a chicken cacciatore pot pie. That sounds really good. Better than an oozing, raw Hot Pocket.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:39 AM

have no idea why people say he has star quality WTF??

Do you suppose they mean Tom Arnold star quality? I'm not seeing it either because it's NOT THERE.

I cannot believe they sent Nikki home and manufactured a reason to send her home. She doesn't know what rice pilaf is? They wanted Nikki gone and came up with a lame reason to try and justify it. We aren't buying it though. Alton said himself that Rodney's POV "pie can't be made in an hour". So why the FRIG are they keeping Rodney when he can't make his own dishes in an hour, burnt raw dough, he forgot to mention the fish and product placement cereal in his presentation which should be a RED FLAG on tv, he mumbles, he made a mess in the kitchen throwing flour everywhere and even Robert Irvine says he's making a mess, and he's not an authority on food??? Nikki was the only POV I was interested in and the Food Network NEEDS! This show isn't The Next Food Network Star. It should be called Watch Us Destroy The Food Network!

Demaris looked shocked, too. Russel and Rodney looked like they got an early Christmas Present. Russel even jumped up and down he was so giddy. FU Alton Brown! FU Giada! I have no respect for them at all. Apparently they forgot that their own carefully cultivated "image" could be brought down and thrown in the mud because of the stupid decisions they've made on this show. I have no respect for either of them. IMO their judgment is so skewed and assbackwards that I won't be able to watch their shows again without thinking what asses they are. I can't look at them the same way. I'm not going to be able to watch their shows. I had already lost a lot of respect for Alton over last year's Justin fiasco. Now I have none for him. Congrats Alton and Giada, you've destroyed whatever good will I had for you in the past.

I do think it's suspicious that Bobby Flay was absent. I'm also quite happy about that. Years ago I didn't care for Bobby, but I've come to like him these last 5 years reading interviews and his relaxed self on The Worst Cooks In America. It's crossed my mind that Susie and Bob wanted Nikki axed for the "drama" it would cause on the show. Perhaps Bobby couldn't bring himself to witness that and told them he wouldn't show up.

terris2030

terris2030

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

I don't blame Bobby for bailing this week, but had he been there Nikki might have stood a better chance. Bobby likes her.          

That just means that she'll have her own show on the Cooking Channel, produced by Bobby Flay.  Her hair/makeup was being professionally done by the end of her stay...I was sure that meant they were grooming her for something.

After hearing Alton defend The Pie Man by saying that making any kind of pie in less than an hour was impossible, and hearing such positive feedback about his personality, I suspect he'll have a show of sorts, too.  I mean, really, when has Alton ever made excuses for anyone?  And thinking back to The Sandwich King's range - it was all about personality for him, too.

Rodney really stepped it up last night, with his dish as well as his camera presence.  Not sure what that's going to mean.

Stacy doesn't bother me.  I can't help but wonder if she wasn't a ringer all along, since they knew her from Irvine's show.

Love Damaris, and the fact that she's already thought of her Emmy dress!  She may also fill the 'Southern' demographic, recently vacated by Paula Deen.   

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

Most of the time, they have an hour. If he can't bake a good pie in an hour, something's wrong. And reading reviews on TripAdvisor, there are a lot of people who don't care for his pies at all. I guess it's all a matter of taste on any given day. :) I agree with the poster who said he should have created a chicken cacciatore pot pie. That sounds really good. Better than an oozing, raw Hot Pocket.

The reviews on Yelp were even worse.  One featured one said "F these a-holes".  Another one said the "guys" behind the counter had to be high.  There were a lot of complaints about the too loud music.  It appears to be one of those places trying too hard to be edgy with the tattoos and peircings that it is more about that than actually serving people or making excellent food.   I am personally so over this trend.  Rodney himself appears to be clueless and schticky enough that I can just imagine what he'd be like on a TV show.  FN is so bamboozled by this clown they think he is the "real deal".  I doubt he would know what it is to be geniune if it hit him in the face.  If this is what Food Network and/or America wants, count me out.  I am even more upset about what  happened to Justin than ever now!

Edited by muffaletta, Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:55 AM.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

Demaris looked shocked, too.

And she looked right at Stacey, too. As if she thought Stacey should be the one getting the ax, or she wondered how it is Stacey managed to hang on by her fingernails.

I can make a pie in an hour. I do it all the time. Especially if it's a small one-person serving. Alton is full of it.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

I can make a pie in an hour. I do it all the time. Especially if it's a small one-person serving. Alton is full of it.

Alton overcomplicates everything.  I doubt he can manage to boil water in an hour.

katnapped

katnapped

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

And dontcha just love it how RI said about Rodney "everyone at the table saw 'STAR'"

Just like Lovely was a 'STAR'...who was kicked off the same episode she returned on.