The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

I loved his line: "Perfect can be boring!"

I loved that, too. Reminded me of the old MTM show job interview where the boss said, "You've got spunk!" and, when she looked proud, he said, "I hate spunk!"

Stacey looked so proud that her effort to look and sound "perfect" was paying off--then Bob dropped the hammer, "Perfect is boring!" Too funny.

Viewers are supposedly making the final decision on this one, right? I find it beyond comprehension that Rodney has, supposedly, been voted as "fan favorite" throughout. I will give him credit for being a nondescript, middle aged paunchy bald guy who doesn't seem like a particularly good cook, but he's figured out some gimmicks to make himself stand out, last this long and be considered a serious contender. Amazing.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

Of the remaining, I like Demaris the best, I guess. Not clear on her POV, but she'd be fun to watch for a little while. Maybe. Russell's voice and speech patterns bug me, but I'd take him over Pie Guy. Stacey is just too fake and Chad is boring. As a vegetarian, I like Dinkie's POV, but she doesn't seem to produce much of note. Aw, hell, just call this season a wash and give Martie from last season a show! SHE I would watch!

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

Slightly off-topic, but someone upthread questioned Bobby's personality. If you want to see him having fun, check out his "Brunch with Bobby" on the Cooking Channel. It's my favorite show on the air right now -- fun, and it moves fast. His brunches are to die for.

You should check him out on Worst Cooks in America, sometimes he can't stop laughing.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

You should check him out on Worst Cooks in America, sometimes he can't stop laughing.

How true! I think they've hired professional actors for that show, but still, Bobby cracks up over some of them!

BTW, I wasn't making fun of Inki Linki's name. I have a terrible time trying to remember it. I wonder whether she has an eating disorder. The camera caught her standing sideways last week, and even her back is hunched. She looked totally malnourished. This way she has of eating, of making her meals mostly veggies and very little meat, might contribute to the way she looks.

alapaki

alapaki

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

Maybe if Damaris develops a spicy Latina accent, Giada will get on board. :)

It feels to me like Giada has always been tougher on female contestants, with the exception of that one lady from LA from last season.

Edited by alapaki, Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:03 PM.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

Do the contestants get to pick their titles? I noticed Inky Dinks was Internet Cooking Show Host. Shouldn't it be YouTube Contributor?

"and Denaris at her most restrained still seems more spontaneous and bubbly than Giada."

Sorry to nitpick but it's Demaris with an m not n. :)

As Chris was leaving he said something like 'I can't sell a product based on my beliefs it's very hard to do'. During his run wasn't he the one always talking about 'I'm a salesman. This is what I do'?

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

"This way she has of eating, of making her meals mostly veggies and very little meat, might contribute to the way she looks. "

Well she did say one time that she realized she couldn't only eat four things her whole life and that's when she started cooking the veggies with meat on the side.

Edited by Neeney, Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:11 PM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 5:04 PM

Do the contestants get to pick their titles? I noticed Inky Dinks was Internet Cooking Show Host. Shouldn't it be YouTube Contributor?

"and Denaris at her most restrained still seems more spontaneous and bubbly than Giada."

Sorry to nitpick but it's Demaris with an m not n. :)

As Chris was leaving he said something like 'I can't sell a product based on my beliefs it's very hard to do'. During his run wasn't he the one always talking about 'I'm a salesman. This is what I do'?

If Nikki's Internet whatever she does is on YouTube then, yeah, she probably oughta be billed as such. Not doing so is probably a matter of not doing a product placement they're not getting compensation for, for whatever reason.

Like, on Chopped when they introduced the Judges they used to specifically mention the names of the restaurant(s) they work(ed) at &/or own(ed); now they just give semi-vague descriptions of the type of restaurant they're involved with (like "hip & happening Manhattan hotspot"), though if you know enough about the Judge being introduced you should know the name of the restaurant(s) involved anyway.

Dahling

Dahling

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

"Sorry to nitpick but it's Demaris with an m not n. :)"

Sorry to double nitpick, but it's Damaris with an a not an e, and m not n. :)

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

"Sorry to nitpick but it's Demaris with an m not n. :)"

Ok, I'll jump on the train and say that every time I hear her name I think "demerits." And I, for one, enjoy the shimmy. There. I said it. :) (shimmy, shimmy)

gigi1701

gigi1701

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

Guy is considered "hip/cool?" By whom? Personally, I can't see it but I am curious if this is how this person is actually perceived.

Not by me, but then I am not the desired demographic, which is what? guys under 25?? Why? I am female, with tons of disposable income and a passion for home cooking. In the past four years I have spent well over $1500.00+ on kitchen /appliance upgrades. What young guy is going to do that?

I hate Top Chef product placement, but damn if they didn't get me, I got a GE Monogram oven, but I also did a ton of online research, but it did stick in my head and we got the top of the line expensive model. Totally happy with it, but still, us old gals have the bucks & appreciation of quality, not going to be your market in forty years or so, but we are now, that has to count for something.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 12, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

From what I've read, the key TV demographic is 18-49. Also from what I've read, FN is going for the male demographic in that age range. I heard a comic say that men will watch 2 people compete over who gets to open an envelope - thus all the competition shows on FN, if they really are going for that demographic. Heck - most of the FN shows my husband will watch with me are competition shows.

Which is what FNS is - a competition show, going after their coveted demographic.

howmanywords

howmanywords

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 2:00 AM

The execs at Food Network care a lot more about ratings and advertising dollars than whether or not young guys are going to buy a lot of kitchen equipment. I'm sure they're pleased to get a cut anytime someone buys Kohls cookware that has the Food Network logo slapped on it but ratings will always be more important. And that is why you see re-runs of things like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Chopped, etc constantly. Because that desired demo are watching that stuff at all hours.

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 4:06 AM

Funny, I never considered Bobby Flay to have all that much charisma.

A lot of the time he seems angry or tired to me. Sure, he can laugh and have a good time but it seems like he's reacting to things more than being naturally charismatic or interesting. 

And while I love Alton, he's not the typical Food Network guy. Have any of you tried listening to his new podcast?

Sourire

Sourire

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 6:10 AM

Mlle Poillane: [Nikki] looked totally malnourished. This way she has of eating, of making her meals mostly veggies and very little meat, might contribute to the way she looks.

That "way she has of eating" (in terms of a lot of veg, a little meat) is actually really healthy, the way most of us should be eating, and how a very large portion of the world does in fact eat. Protein is of course important, but you don't need a lot of meat to get the amount you need, and there are plenty of non-meat protein sources out there as well. This is why, imo, she really has a great concept and one that food network (or cooking channel, more likely) should run with. Besides being healthy, eating this way is also often cheaper and greener.

She could of course be doing it "wrong" (not enough variety, which is a problem that can arise with any type of diet), not practicing what she preaches, or have lasting effects from previous bad diet... though I haven't noticed that she looks malnourished.

gigi1701

gigi1701

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 7:52 AM

The execs at Food Network care a lot more about ratings and advertising dollars than whether or not young guys are going to buy a lot of kitchen equipment. I'm sure they're pleased to get a cut anytime someone buys Kohls cookware that has the Food Network logo slapped on it but ratings will always be more important. And that is why you see re-runs of things like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Chopped, etc constantly. Because that desired demo are watching that stuff at all hours.

Yes, for sure that is true for what Food Network has become. It used to be about cooking, now it is about turning "Celebrity Chefs" into selling machines and having them do commercials for their advertisers. 

ellyd

ellyd

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

Ah!  Very close ThatPoshGirl, but wrong hat.

ny1221

ny1221

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

The pie I’m most looking forward to see from Rodney is “humble pie” and when he does, I want him to eat that “sucker” too. So far, he doesn’t care about advice or feedback, because he thinks that everything he does is great, when mostly it hasn’t been.  I won’t be surprised if he wins.  He and Russell, appeal perfectly to the viewers FN cares the most now, the Mystery Diners, Restaurant Stakeout crowd.

When she shimmies, raises her arms and poses, Damaris reminds me of Anna Nicole Smith and when she’s calmed, she looks like Taylor Swift with her deer in the headlights face. She’s a Southern “dumbelle.” Where’s Martie?

Nikki Dinki sounds like the name of a Nick cartoon. After winning the Chopped challenge, she entered the stew room doing a funny dance and, since then I called her “little Ellen,” especially if she has upswept hair or braid ponytails. After that, she’s becoming more of a comic and airhead with little cooking authority. Saw a couple of her internet shows and reminded me of Melissa’s TDD. If I believe TDD’s just a tad more pleasant than Nicki’s show, there’s a problem and we know where TDD is now.

Chad has been portraying kind of a Jeff Mauro. His nickname is BBQ King (they call him BBQ Guy on FNS), wears plaid shirts and, like Jeff, is focused and the finalist that’s friends with everybody and isn’t involved in drama.  Difference is that he lacks personality. On his Twitter page, I found out that his brother is Reid Rosenthal, 2nd runner up of season 5 of The Bachelorette, was on Bachelor Pad and as realtor, hosted an episode of HGTV’s My First Place. Given that, I thought he might had given Chad advice about how to perform in front of a camera on a reality show but, contrary to the premiere in which he was pretty good, he’s becoming pretty boring.

Unlike Chad, Russell has glimpses of charisma, has the gift of gab but lacks cooking chops and its getting repetitive seeing him on the bottom, to be saved and saying that it was a humbling experience.

After looking at Stacey posing seductively on that newspaper article, I thought that Damaris was the slutty one on the show. Why did she have to do that to promote being on the show or her restaurant?  Yes…I know she has a restaurant and a kid and a husband so, why does she have to remind it every week? We got it!

I thought last season’s finalists were the worst but, to do them justice, I think this season looks more than Worst Cooks and, to listen to Bobby and Alton while promoting FNS, saying that this is the best season and the best group, in terms of cooking and performing (Alton even called Rodney “the whole package”), makes me have little credibility about them. Given, every reality promotes a new season as “the best yet” but, to praise this bunch to the stratosphere is unbelievable.

Edited by ny1221, Jul 13, 2013 @ 2:10 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

If she wins, she should use a rewrite of "Liza with a 'Z'" as her intro!

As for the names, I've always assumed "Nikki Dinky" was as real as "Lovely". ..No?   And her food POV is something I really love but I feel she's done nothing with it. Does she even really care? Maybe I'm biased because I think pureed vegetables is a cop-out, something that many cooks who don't know what to do with them will do.

ITA Chad seems pleasant enough, but shows zero personality. Also, his greasy stringy hair--I realize it's his "style" since it always looks that way, but...--really bothers me. No way would I want to eat food he made. Or watch him cook.

Bobby proves that "attractive, low key, knowledgable, and has cooking skills" can work because we, the audience will fill in the rest if we see him on enough things. By that criteria, the winner, should, imo, have been Viet. But, at least if it's Damaris (sp?) she's cute with personality (that she's willing to dial up or down as needed),  has training and is a cooking teacher.  The Southern food doesn't interest me particularly unless she has a "healthy" focus, but of all of the people left, she seems to have far and away the most FNS potential.

Sourire

Sourire

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

Maybe I'm biased because I think pureed vegetables is a cop-out, something that many cooks who don't know what to do with them will do.

True. To be fair, a lot of the challenges, particularly the last one, haven't been very friendly to her POV. How are you supposed to produce a shelf-stable "meat on the side" product really, unless you go the frozen entree route? I haven't been impressed with much she's made, but I also think I cut her more slack because she really hasn't been given a good challenge to show off her idea. Burgers, marketable product, fried chicken, etc... When she was able to make the very veggie-centric chili they did like it. I'd like to see what she can do if they gave her another challenge that is more conducive to her style of cooking.

They care oh so much about POV (and really, who needs one - Ina is still my favorite of the "cooking" shows left on FN, and what the heck would her POV be?) and Nikki has a great one, but they refuse to let it shine. Chris and Viet didn't really have POVs, and yet I would probably watch their shows over any of the others, because, you know, they seem to actually know how to cook. When did that become an irrelevant factor in winning a cooking show?!

*edit to add: Cooking channel is showing Unique Eats right now featuring Chris' DimandDensum food truck, and hot damn if I wouldn't be all over that truck if we had it here... He is, of course, still yelling at the camera though.

Edited by Sourire, Jul 13, 2013 @ 4:16 PM.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

The Southern food doesn't interest me particularly unless she has a "healthy" focus

I just saw a recipe of Ina Garten's that uses 2 sticks of butter to make brownies. So I don't think it's necessarily a regional thing. :)

I wish they'd drop the whole POV thing because most of the good shows on FN have no POV. They just show us how to cook things. Well, the shows that still do that, that is.

RealityJunkie10

RealityJunkie10

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 3:19 AM

This show...I want to like Russell, but its so hard.  He is everything I abhor.  An older guy trying desperately to be hip in some professorial way.  He is one of those people that would make me roll my eyes every 10 seconds.  I want to see someone of color win these shows, but man oh man, why must they give me the bottom of the barrel to root for.  Lovely was annoying, Russell is annoying - I like the seven sins idea, but not on a grown ass man wearing converse, a mohawk and trying to be hip and ironic.  Maybe Tracy from Top Chef can go on FNS because I liked her a lot.

Pie in a jar was a mess, that song was a mess, and why does he keep wearing tight tee shirts.  Rodney does not have the body to pull off those Armani Exchange t-shirts.

I'm not sure why I don't like Stacy - I should like her, but I don't

I actually liked Chris, yes, he was a bit much, but you should be excited and I liked his backstory.  I also liked Viet and the guy who lost a lot of weight, i can appreciate someone saying "yes, I lost a lot of weight, but I don't want that to be all that I am" good for him.  However, I think a show about simple swaps that can make food or life a little healthier might be great, but I'm also sure the market is saturated with stuff like that.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 7:52 AM

Let's all be truthful to ourselves for a minute. The Food Network has ALWAYS been about making money. It's not like they started up a network with good intentions of teaching people how to cook and just hoped they could scrape together enough money to keep it going. The fact is, idiotic shows like this one pull up the ratings enough to generate the cash necessary to actually produce and show the occasional educational ones that far fewer people go out of their way to watch.

And she has a show on the Cooking Channel, a good one.  I didn't root for her in her season but  enjoy watching her now. And I hope with every episode wrap she's thinking "take THAT Bob and Susie".  Heh

If I remember correctly, Kelsey got the boot because she didn't have the experience to convey "food authority", but they felt like with time, she would have a very good shot at being successful on TV.  There are two interesting things about that. First, generally speaking, the people on this show don't usually make me think "food authority." So, there's that.  Second, note how the Food Network never actually let her go, but instead gave her a job behind the scenes until they felt like she was ready for the camera.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 1:00 PM

Second, note how the Food Network never actually let her go, but instead gave her a job behind the scenes until they felt like she was ready for the camera

I recall them telling her that she was too polished and she was continually put down for mentioning culinary school.  She was young and what she demonstrated were things she learned in culinary school, so what else did they think she would have had to talk about?  She was my favorite of that season so I was glad to see her end up on TV anyway after a couple of years.

I thought she was camera ready during her season but the judges kept putting her down.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 5:08 PM

Russell mentioned he has a product line (sort of).  Anyone know what it is?  I tried to access his website and all I got was a menacing picture of him.

Damn.  That's all kinds of embarrassing. ~Shields my eyes and tries to look inconspicuous as I leave the room.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

Do the producers tell them, "OK, Russell, it's your turn to yell out how much time is left!!" ???

That is so obnoxious. At least to me, it is. :)

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 9:02 PM

Could Stacy's pants that she wore during the first part of this show be any tighter? They looked sprayed on.

floretbroccoli

floretbroccoli

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

The first challenge tonight was well designed.  I'm sick of food descriptions that include "a beautiful piece of beef," and the like.  And if I were given a choice, at a wedding, say, that included salmon, I would probably not order it unless it were described in a way to make it sound good.

But the second challenge wasn't as good.  Some of the dishes offered would just need a list of ingredients.  I'm sure many of the bidders would have bid on "bacon maple cheesecake" without hearing one word more.

All credit to Damaris (really?  Damaris?) for managing to sell green bean casserole, then.

Edited by floretbroccoli, Jul 14, 2013 @ 9:07 PM.

MoeBee

MoeBee

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

Anybody else find the first challenge to be kind of ironic? If using hackneyed buzz words was really a no-no, Guy Fieri would be on the unemployment line

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2013 @ 9:07 PM

You know what I've noticed about this year's group? Yes, they are not as good quality as previous seasons, but there's nobody who is hating on everyone. They all like each other, and support each other. No one picking on another person's stuff. I like that. But they all realize Stacey is going to be up front and if no one is complimenting her at every turn, I think she may cry.

On the flipside, Rodney is really starting to bug me as much as Stacey. He stands with his arms akimbo like he's ready to beat someone up. And his facial expressions tonight reminded me of when I had kidney stones. I made the same faces. Stacey's crossed Boston Terrier eyes still scare me, but so does her laugh. And I know I am being superficial, but if I am going to watch someone on TV, I need to be comfortable watching them. She has figured out that telling a story is the key. She needs to not wear tight red pants anymore. Has she always been vintage? I remember it from last week, but don't remember it before that. And her kitchen in her restaurant isn't vintage, from what I remember on Restaurant Impossible. But I guess that's what she's selling people.

Russell was just lost tonight on both challenges. Bobby was right on reminding him that if was hired by FN and had to be on the Today Show and flaked out, he'd be out of a job.

Rodney -- what were you smoking, dude? "By pie and pie alone, you're safe" LOL

Nikki and Damaris were just eh for me. I don't know, neither of them excite me. Well, heck, I can say that for everyone, but they just sort of blended into the woodwork this week.

Chad. Poutine? That doesn't sound like something I'd want to eat. Sounds like a disease. And you need to stay away from red jeans too. They didn't help you out tonight. Bye bye!

Loved Damaris' last line "We're like the five points of the star!" That was cute.

Salvation kitchen is up, but they don't tell you who will be returning to the main competition next week. What's the point, then?