The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 6:08 AM

I don't like the POV push either. Why not let them cook what they want?

FNS is about someone winning their own cooking show. And most successful cooking show hosts have a pretty defined "POV" or angle, at least starting out. Alton was the food science guy. Giada was about Italian cooking made easy. Rachel was about cooking an entire meal in 30 minutes. Sandy's schtick was making homemade meals using as much pre-packaged stuff as possible.

I do think that the way to get viewers to watch a cooking show hosted by someone new is for the show to have an angle they'd be interested in regardless of the host. Viewers who didn't know or care who Rachel was wouldn't have tuned in just to watch her cook whatever she wanted. They tuned in because they were busy and wanted to know how to cook a meal for their family fast. 

That's why FNS emphasizes having a POV so much, which isn't inherently a bad thing. In fact, it makes sense. But it does seem like, when a contestant can't come up with a POV on their own, they end up getting pushed into a niche that might not really fit them.

Edited by Bitterswete, Jun 8, 2013 @ 6:09 AM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

I didn't get a chance to see it until tonight. All of the contestants are new to me since I don't watch Chopped or Restaurant Impossibleor a lot of the other competitive or reality shows on FN, and I don't get the Cooking Channel.

I thought Tuschman(?) nailed Danushka's persona--sidekick, reactive, not star. I like her dry snarky humor and I think she'd be hilarious to have drinks with--or as a fellow TWoPper--but I don't think she can carry a show.

Chad needs to wash his hair. I'm already tired of Rodney's schtick. The rest I don't have any reaction to yet.

Edited by Alexandria Bay, Jun 8, 2013 @ 6:57 PM.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

I knew Bobby would never allow the "pretty" blonde to be booted this early. We all know how he loves his blondes. As a result, it was clear that either black guy or Peruvian girl (sorry, I suck with names. I only remember Lovely because as much as I hate blonde girl she was right about the who names themselves Lovely and Viet because I think of the country Vietnam) was going. Once they told black guy he was safe, Peruvian girl should have just turned around and walked out the door.

I like and am rooting the potato skin ball lady, Viet and the Pie guy. Goofy blonde is also someone who could sneak up on you.

Still don't like Giada. The worst cooks show has made Bobby likable to me, but that could just be because Anne is so shrill and her shtick stopped being of value years ago.

harpazo

harpazo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 9:03 PM

Some info on Justin Warner. From Food Network Gossip, titled "Where is Justin Warner?"

http://www.foodnetwo...ml#.UbPhlthkl2A

I get the idea that there is a lot happening in the background and they are all being closed-lipped about it. I still am aggravated over the bait and switch aspect of promising the winner thier own show (and last year's addition of having their metor produce it) and then it not happening. I was very into last year and Emily Ellyn and Justin and the thought of Justin being produced by Alton. Then, poof, and they didn't even give us a reasonable explanation. Just...crickets. So this year, once burned...

Edited by harpazo, Jun 8, 2013 @ 9:04 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Some years ago I looked up the agreement on FN that contestants have to sign just to be on the show, let alone win. Basically, they own your soul for an indeterminate amount of time. It doesn't surprise me Justin is doing recaps - I think Aarti  whatever her name is did the same thing, all though at least she got 2 seasons. That Justin is doing tweets tells me they are FN approved, otherwise FN would shut him down. Guess it doesn't cost FN much to have him recap. Still a head scratcher on what is going on.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

I'd be more inclined to blame Justin for the lack of a show if ANYONE from his season had even a hint of a show in the works. On Alton's team we had Justin,  Marty and Emily who seemed to get positive feedback from the audience, yet not one of them has appeared in any other Food Network production. I think that there may be more going on behind the scenes than we know. Justin may be at fault here, but to blame him out of hand seems unfair.

Dahling

Dahling

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

I blame Justin, and it's easy for me to do that because 1) I don't like him, but more importantly, 2) Every. Other. Winner. got a show. Every single one. Even Aaron McCargo, the worst winner of this show's history, who could barely string two coherent words together. Everything is still the same other than Justin. Food Network is still churning out shows. Bob and Susie still appear to be in "charge". And yet, Justin failed, before he even got off the launch pad. I don't believe in conspiracy, I don't believe that Justin was somehow "screwed", considering I felt like his glossy red lips were being shoved in my face all summer last year. Food Network WANTED him to win, I believe. So if a television network, whose job it is to make TV shows, can't make this guy happen, that's on Justin.

fliptopbox

fliptopbox

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 10:13 PM

Danushka Lysek was on 24-Hour Restaurant Battle, Chopped, The Bachelor, Models Edition Fear Factor, VH1's Supergroup, Fear Factor and now on TNFNS.

I want to know how on earth she was cast on so many reality shows with that wet blanket, blah-assed personality of hers. She is not interesting to watch at all IMO. And I have a hard time believing she's a former model...she might have the body but her face is busted.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Lovely and Viet because I think of the country Vietnam) was going.

I don't know if you saw him on Extreme Chef but his parents named him Viet and is brother Nam.  They wanted them to always remember where they came from.  It's not something I would do but to each their own.  The difference in his personality from that show and this one is amazing.  Even down to the bow tie he was wearing in this show.  I LoL'ed for real at that because he was such a dick on EC.  The one constant is his ability to cook well.

I want to know how on earth she was cast on so many reality shows with that wet blanket, blah-assed personality of hers.

Hard to figure isn't it.  IMO she has no presence at all.  And that voice!  Ugh.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 12:13 AM

I don't know if you saw him on Extreme Chef but his parents named him Viet and is brother Nam. 

People, if you hate children, don't have any. Don't have them & give them stupid names as punishment.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 12:15 AM

There are stupid names out there but I don't think there's anything wrong with that one.  And it has something meaningful behind it. 

Nobody stood out to me except maybe the vegetable lady. She has a nice theme.  The good old boy seems pretty cool.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 1:00 AM

And that voice! Ugh.

The first time Danushka opened her mouth, I fell into gales of laughter. It wasn't just the voice, though. It was that deadpan expression on her face! The girl is comedic gold whether she intends to be on not!

I'm not saying I would vote for Danushka to win, but imagine it. If we thought Justin was unusual last year, Danushka could top him. Imagine her giving us a recipe and telling how to put it together. Mass confusion.

Isn't Danushka the one with the slightly salty language? Add that to the mix! Every time I see her in a FN commercial, the possibilities seem to grow. I think the FN chose her to inject some humor into the proceedings, but I can't imagine her winning.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, Jun 9, 2013 @ 1:05 AM.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:15 AM

I don't know if you saw him on Extreme Chef but his parents named him Viet and is brother Nam.  They wanted them to always remember where they came from.  It's not something I would do but to each their own.  The difference in his personality from that show and this one is amazing.

Yes, because Viet is a lying liar who lies.

I rate him below even Danushka in terms of my disgust.  Because at least Danushka is fairly open and clear about what she is, however disgusting that is.  Viet is not.  Even lets say if the Extreme Chef version of him was a performance and he's not actually that arrogant in real life, he'd STILL be a liar this time around as well because the shy barely able to talk personality we're being shown now clearly HAS to be a total fabriaction given how slick, loud and aggressive he managed to act on Extreme Chef. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 6:57 AM

Marty and Emily who seemed to get positive feedback from the audience, yet not one of them has appeared in any other Food Network production. I think that there may be more going on behind the scenes than we know.

Here's what I know firsthand... Talking to Marti, she said that she has been in talking with Tushie about a show idea for her. I have no reason to doubt her. She also said that she and Justin had the idea for doing a show together, and Justin was pitching that to Tush as well.

When I met Alton and asked him "what about Marti?" he said "We never heard from her again." as if she blew them off. He also made it sound like Justin had a series, when he said "His new show will air next month".... and we got one PILOT, according to Justin.

I tend to believe Marti and think Alton will say whatever in order to save face. I think the problem isn't Justin, it's Alton wanting to be a control freak and have it his way or no way at all.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

I think the FN needs to engineer a strategic leak in order to stop the speculation about what "went wrong" with Justin, because I don't think the speculation is helping the network any - especially in regard to this show. A single aberration is one thing, two in a row is a problem that could affect viewership. So they need to make sure that the winner of this season gets his/her own series without question, or they need to quickly make up the lost time doing damage control vis-a-vis Justin.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 3:35 PM

So, after the fiasco with Justin, what exactly is this year's prize for the winner?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

The same as always, supposedly. Their own show, an appearance at a Food & Wine magazine event, money, etc.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

Their own show, an appearance at a Food & Wine magazine event, money, etc.

I wish the Food Network would just make it a cash prize, and rename the damn show.  Or just come clean and tell us why Justin (who the viewers voted for) didn't get his own show.  Who's fault was it--the network's or Justin's?

It's really hard to get involved in a show where the prize is not what it seems.  Yes, you are the next Food Network's Star-----not.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

Was last year the first time the viewers got to choose? I think it was, and I am really shocked they are doing it again this year, since they didn't like the fan's choice in Justin, or he wasn't "workable" or whatever their spin is. What I want to know is about the following statement on their website:

"one finalist will be brought back after elimination for another chance at victory"

Is that a finalist from last season? Or does someone eliminated early from this season get to come back at the end?

http://blog.foodnetw...-star-season-9/

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

It would be interesting if they reran Guy's season.  Let's see Tushie and Suze's recommendations to him.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Was last year the first time the viewers got to choose?

No, Guy's win was the first year, followed by Amy's win.

No, the viewers chose the first 3 seasons (Hearty Boys, Guy Fieri, and Amy Finley).

I stand corrected.  Probably because I didn't see the first season.

Edited by nottopbravo, Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:33 PM.

Dahling

Dahling

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

No, the viewers chose the first 3 seasons (Hearty Boys, Guy Fieri, and Amy Finley). After viewers made the "wrong" choice (Amy Finley over horse-faced Rory), then the viewer choice was taken away. 

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I started watching it the season when McCargo won.

jeanneh

jeanneh

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 5:17 PM

cooksdelight wrote:

"one finalist will be brought back after elimination for another chance at victory"

Is that a finalist from last season? Or does someone eliminated early from this season get to come back at the end?

Sounds like they could be borrowing ideas from Top Chef.  Using cooksdelight's thoughts:

• If it were someone eliminated from this season coming back, the last 2 seasons TC had "Last Chance Kitchen," where eliminated competitors competed for the chance to come back to the main competition (the winner of that parallel competion came back into the main event in time for final elmination before the finale).
  • If it were someone eliminated during a prior season coming back, during TC's most recent season, 3 non-winning "cheftestants" from 3 different previous seasons were added to the main competition beginning in the 2nd episode.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

I hate the second chance things. You didn't make it the first time. So, you had your chance. Time for someone else to have theirs. I always feel badly for the people when a second-chancer comes back, since you know they have had the experience once before and know what to expect. It's not a level playing field to throw in someone who's been there/done that.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 7:04 PM

I hate the second chance thing as well. I really hate it when they bring back a contestant who was let go earlier in the season.  The person has a few episodes in which to decompress and de-stress and then they come back and compete with people who have been running themselves ragged trying to meet deadlines and get stuff done (I'm looking at you Face Off).

The one time I didn't mind was Project Runway, when they brought Chris March back.  I didn't mind because 1) I really liked Chris March, but mostly because 2) He wasn't brought back due to producer manipulation.  He came back the episode after he was cut because one of the other contestants became ill. They were stuck between having a non-elimination week or bringing the last person cut back and I think they made the right choice.

I don't hate second chance seasons however.  Sometimes I think the wrong person won, or 2 people were equally deserving.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

Pache, I don't mind redemption seasons either (except Survivor who tends to stuff someone down viewers' throats until they finally win), and this show has yet to do that. I think it would be interesting if they did. Chopped's redemption episodes are some of their best. 

susannot

susannot

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 7:39 PM

Viet Pham appears on p. 226 of the latest issue of Food & Wine.  I think this was already posted, but he was a F & W best new chef in 2011.  Someone on the show recognized him, I think.  If the show wants to retain any credibility for promoting contestants with real cooking chops, he had better do well.

AladdinSane

AladdinSane

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

Wicked Tuna...

So Viet PHAM's brother is named Nam? NAM PHAM? Seriously?

Beating Bobby in IC is a big deal, but I think I'm gonna get tired of hearing about it.

Petunia13

Petunia13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 8:42 PM

Charles Ramsey, the Clevelander who rescued the 3 kidnapped women, works as a dishwasher for Chris Hodgson - Chris had t-shirts made with Charles' picture on them and all the proceeds went to the 3 women, so he wasn't kidding about the whole compassion/charity thing. I'm not sure how that would translate to a point of view for a cooking show however.

That's awesome!

I was wondering it myself. There are restaurants that give people in transition a new start and are non profits to boot. Maybe that's it. And maybe using local ingredients rather that corporate suppliers.