The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

maryt

maryt

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

I forgot about Justin and his show, and I didn't see the preview for it being on the other day. Maybe they will re-run it.

However, since I have read what the food choices are, I will pass. I cannot watch these disgusting food shows where they eat or show some weird food that would make me vomit. Ewww to this show.

And funny, I had forgotten how Tush and the other Medusa beyotch were on there, and this thread brought back memories of that babyish Kermit saying "tell me a story" and really it got pretty stupid.

I will pass thank you!

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

It looks like Justin was set up to fail with this. I don't know about him having a bad attitude (and using "hipster" as a pejorative term is just blah), but he was the first person from this show to not just be another run-of-the-mill, manufactured personality. He actually was something original. That he didn't get the prize he was supposed to be awarded is a total sham, and a mockery (though not quite a travesty).

I don't think he was set up to fail, but fail, he did.

He was allowed to part ways with Alton (apparently to mutual satisfaction) and still have creative input into his own hour-long special. The show didn't have "typical FN" written all over it and I'm assuming it was very "Justin-specific". It sucked.

I cannot believe I am writing this, but had the show been hosted by Guy Fieri, it would have been 100% better. Justin has zero interviewing skills and his demeanor was one of bored attachment. The only times he seemed engaged was when he went to cook something -- primarily off-screen.

That I agree with this 100% is a testament to how bad it was. I can't stand Guy, but he would have done everything he could to make this seem FUN. Justin's dry, wooden demeanor works well for comedy--but since he exhibited zero sense of humor, it failed. (And great summary, grisgris. I think Justin got a *good* prize actually--an hour long special combining food and travel and doing it HIS way. That could be a lot better than 6 "Here I am in the FN kitchen" shows, IF he had the talent and personality to pull it off.)

novhappy

novhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

I gotta say I have watched Jeff Mauro's show a number of times- he has personality, charm and an instructive yet entertaining aproach to cooking. FN should do more with him.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

I forgot about Justin and his show, and I didn't see the preview for it being on the other day. Maybe they will re-run it.

However, since I have read what the food choices are, I will pass. I cannot watch these disgusting food shows where they eat or show some weird food that would make me vomit. Ewww to this show.

And funny, I had forgotten how Tush and the other Medusa beyotch were on there, and this thread brought back memories of that babyish Kermit saying "tell me a story" and really it got pretty stupid.

I will pass thank you!

They re-aired Justin's show either Saturday or Sunday. I've forgotten which timeslot it was in though.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:21 AM

Justin's show is up on their website right now.

thethe

thethe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

That I agree with this 100% is a testament to how bad it was. I can't stand Guy, but he would have done everything he could to make this seem FUN. Justin's dry, wooden demeanor works well for comedy--but since he exhibited zero sense of humor, it failed. (And great summary, grisgris. I think Justin got a *good* prize actually--an hour long special combining food and travel and doing it HIS way. That could be a lot better than 6 "Here I am in the FN kitchen" shows, IF he had the talent and personality to pull it off.)

Seems like the exact opposite to me. I would think an instructional kitchen show would work much better with Justin. His pilot for the final round was pretty good. If he doesn't have the personality to go and interview people and do another bombastic travel show, why put him in one? He seemed to like the more intimate kind of show, where he can do his own recipes.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 4:32 AM

Seems like the exact opposite to me. I would think an instructional kitchen show would work much better with Justin. His pilot for the final round was pretty good. If he doesn't have the personality to go and interview people and do another bombastic travel show, why put him in one? He seemed to like the more intimate kind of show, where he can do his own recipes.

I totally agree with this, although I don't think his "pilot" sucked all that bad. I'm just tired of the format of traveling shows with pig roasts and the like. It's been done too many times before. I like Justin's personality and his off-beat sense of humor, though, and it saved the show for me, although I still think he would be better used in an off-beat cooking show.

I think being a little jaded and hipster-ish is his persona. I don't feel offended by it in any way, though. I am usually exquisitely sensitive and put off by a young guy who is too full of himself and a poseur, but Justin never struck me that way. In fact, Bobby Flay has fit more into that category for me at times, and yet I still like Bobby. Maybe it's because I'm a New Yorker and I get it, who knows?

I'm not willing to blame Justin completely for any failure off the bat. I don't think he's an asshat at all. I just think FN didn't want him to do what he wanted to do and it caused problems finding a mutually agreeable format for the show. The network might have gotten frustrated with him because they didn't see him as a "team player", which made things get delayed and he ended up with only one show, not 6. I think FN doing that was their way of saying they don't care if he succeeds or not, they're just barely fulfilling their end of the winner's contract. I definitely think they want someone who is willing to do what they want them to do, and if they're not willing to be so agreeable, this is the treatment they'll get.

I think that's too bad, because the whole reason people voted for Justin is because he wasn't the same old same old from FN. If the network wasn't willing to go there with his "rebel" schtick, why bother with him? I see Jeff Mauro as their total lap dog and typical of what they want in a Food Network Star. I like Jeff but he sometimes puts me off by being so gaggingly mainstream and appealing to the masses. I want to watch someone who is a little different and offbeat, perhaps way over the top intelligent and a bit of a witty food snob (kind of like Tony Bourdain but a new generation). But FN is not the network for that, at least not anymore, or Alton and Tony back in his "Cook's Tour" days would never have made it there.

Justin may indeed be a rebel but these days FN is about conformity with their way of doing things. They were probably like "OK, be a rebel but do it OUR way or forget it". It was a recipe for failure, because being a rebel and a non-conformist means doing it your way, not the way someone else tells you to do it. That was Justin's whole appeal, and in that regard I do think Justin was set up to fail.

About "Food Network Star" in general, I think they're about due for an All Stars season. They should bring back people like Martie and Emily and a few people from other seasons past that made it far into the season but didn't win. I'd like to see that. Who knows, maybe that's the secret project Emily is working on?

Edited by muffaletta, Apr 14, 2013 @ 4:41 AM.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 6:15 AM

I think FN missed the boat with the potential they had in Justin. But, it may have been that Justin said "noooo, I don't wanna do that..." to them. I doubt he was in a position to say that, but something definitely happened in between him winning and a show being produced so late in the game.

I really thought seeing him going into a kitchen and showing us how to make beef stroganoff a totally different way from what we've known would be a killer show. I want to know how to make things that will make my dinner guests' heads spin. I want to know how to deconstruct and reconstruct a known food dish, like mac and cheese, to the point that people think I am some sort of kitchen god.

THAT is the kind of show I thought Justin would do.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 3:59 PM

Still, kind of weird that Alton Brown, who started out as a producer and learned to cook so he'd have something to make a show about, isn't producing a show for Food Network, while Bobby Flay's production company produces everything in sight. I guess if Good Eats was a reflection of Alton Brown's sensibilities, it's not the kind of thing they're looking for any more.

Edited by jmhm, Apr 14, 2013 @ 3:59 PM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

Emily Ellyn is in this week's Cupcake Wars ep. She's the Assistant to a competing baker named Hollis (female) who owns stores in 2 Florida cities--I think she said in Jacksonville & Orlando. I've forgotten the name of her bakery/cupcakery, but Hollis has been on twice before. Hollis & Emily were introduced 1st. The next airing of the ep is 3AM Eastern/2AM Central tonight (early Monday morning for VCR/DVR's).

Edited by BW Manilowe, Apr 14, 2013 @ 8:18 PM.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 2:18 AM

Still, kind of weird that Alton Brown, who started out as a producer and learned to cook so he'd have something to make a show about, isn't producing a show for Food Network, while Bobby Flay's production company produces everything in sight. I guess if Good Eats was a reflection of Alton Brown's sensibilities, it's not the kind of thing they're looking for any more.

Alton made a cryptic Facebook post about a month ago that made people think Good Eats might be coming back. He posted to someone who said they wished it would come back that "their patience would be rewarded". No one is really sure what that meant.

Also, to respond to another post up thread, Alton didn't back out of producing Justin's show. He posted on Facebook that he "regrettably didn't get to produce it". That makes it sound like it wasn't his idea.

I really thought seeing him [Justin] going into a kitchen and showing us how to make beef stroganoff a totally different way from what we've known would be a killer show. I want to know how to make things that will make my dinner guests' heads spin. I want to know how to deconstruct and reconstruct a known food dish, like mac and cheese, to the point that people think I am some sort of kitchen god.

THAT is the kind of show I thought Justin would do.

Me too, but it's looking like TPTB might have nixed that. It doesn't look like they're too anxious to put new cooking shows on the air these days. I think they're trying to maximize their ratings and they seem to have a thing about putting guys in travel/eat shows above cooking shows. Even Jeff's show is a little of both. Perhaps they didn't want any "Alton Jr.'s" around and tried convincing Alton himself to come back, hence the cryptic Facebook post. I guess we'll find out in time.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 4:43 AM

Alton made a cryptic Facebook post about a month ago that made people think Good Eats might be coming back. He posted to someone who said they wished it would come back that "their patience would be rewarded". No one is really sure what that meant.

At one point, he was talking about moving into web content. Don't know if that's what this is, or if he would even be doing it with Food Network, but if TFN website can make space for Bobby Flay's thoughts on fitness, surely they could find room for, you know, food.

spenserscampi

spenserscampi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 5:37 AM

I gotta say I have watched Jeff Mauro's show a number of times- he has personality, charm and an instructive yet entertaining aproach to cooking. FN should do more with him.

Opposite feeling here. As one who tolerates Guy, I can't even get there with Jeff.

I see Jeff Mauro as their total lap dog and typical of what they want in a Food Network Star. I like Jeff but he sometimes puts me off by being so gaggingly mainstream and appealing to the masses.

Unfortunately true. The key word here for me is "gaggingly" though in a different way. Jeff is sloppy (both with food and instructions), overdramatic and self serving.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 6:07 AM

At one point, he was talking about moving into web content. Don't know if that's what this is, or if he would even be doing it with Food Network, but if TFN website can make space for Bobby Flay's thoughts on fitness, surely they could find room for, you know, food.

You're right. I went back in history on his Twitter posts and he's more open about it there.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

Good Eats is now showing on the Cooking Channel. Could that be what Alton meant?

I too was looking forward to seeing Justin do a show out of the ordinary....

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 1:50 AM

Good Eats is now showing on the Cooking Channel. Could that be what Alton meant?

He specifically said he was working on something Good Eats fans would like, only it wasn't for TV. He did some G.E. shorts on the FN site last year, but this post was more recent than that.

ny1221

ny1221

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

Food Network announced today that season 9 of FNS starts on June 2nd.

Among the changes: the number of contestants was reduced from 15 to 12, but mimicking Top Chef and other competitions, an eliminated contestant will return to play again. Bobby Flay, Giada de Laurentiis and Alton Brown will be judges and mentors only. Team concept was eliminated (they're coming back somewhat to the old format--camera challenge/star challenge) and apparently won't necessarily produce the winner's show, as it also wasn't established if it will be a 6 episode daytime show or a primetime pilot.

Tuschman and Fogelson return as judges but, helping them this season to decide the fate of the finalists is a focus group of Foood Network "fans", on hand at every Star challenge.

Food Network also continues to bring familiar faces to this show, as Chris Hodgeson (from Great Food Truck Race 2) and Chef Viet (from Extreme Chef 2) are among this season's finalists.

Here's a link with a video tease form the season, contestant photos and episode descriptions:
Food Network Star 9

Edited by ny1221, Apr 18, 2013 @ 3:17 PM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Tuschman and Fogelson return as judges but, helping them this season to decide the fate of the finalists is a focus group of Foood Network "fans", on hand at every Star challenge.

I hope the fans get to override Tuschman & Fogelson, because those two people are pretty clueless IMO.

MattFNG

MattFNG

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:48 PM

Regarding Alton Brown moving to web content, it seems as if you are right that Good Eats will be returning as an online series (link)

Also, NY1221, there are also people on the new season that have been on Chopped, Hells Kitchen, Restaurant Impossible, Iron Chef, etc. (Link)

Dont know why, but it kind of bugs me that an owner from Restaurant Impossible is on it. Means they were supposed to be running a 'failing' restaurant, so that qualifies them to be a 'Star' on the network? Also, they already got $10,000 and publicity for their restaurant.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

Danushka Lysek is going to be TNFS?????? I hated that bitch when she was on Chopped, & that was just one episode. I can't believe that we're going to have to put up with a bunch of episodes of "I'm so beautiful & thin, people don't believe I'm a chef". I hope she gets eliminated early, maybe her wonderful personality will get her kicked off quickly.

I can't believe there are so many people who were on other shows, but I guess they felt they were good on those shows & now deserve a show of their own.

Dont know why, but it kind of bugs me that an owner from Restaurant Impossible is on it.

Especially since the owners seem completely delusional about how bad their food is.

Edited by GaT, Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:58 PM.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

Danushka Lysek is going to be TNFS??????

Doesn't surprise me at all. The coveted Sandra Lee demographic is hungry for content.

Racso64

Racso64

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

It makes me wonder if bringing back a contestant had anything to do with Emily going home from last season and seeing the fans responses to it.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:46 AM

Yeah, and these people are real "fans" like I'm selling a bridge in Brooklyn...

I think Tuschie and Susie are just trying to deflect any criticism they get this time after the fans flayed them for sending Emily home last year.

It makes me wonder if bringing back a contestant had anything to do with Emily going home from last season and seeing the fans responses to it.

Yes, and this too.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

an eliminated contestant will return to play again

Did they make it clear it's an eliminated contestant from a previous season? Or one of these 12? I can't stand Danushka. I would never watch a show of hers, the way she talks as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth drives me crazy.

This show has gone from bad to worse. I may not bother watching if it's going to be a rehash of previous contestants on other shows. I miss the days of people from nowhere coming to compete on the show.

I hope she gets eliminated early, maybe her wonderful personality will get her kicked off quickly.

Or the way she stands around with her mouth open, staring, not moving, not doing anything.

Edited by cooksdelight, Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:43 PM.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 1:27 AM

Did they make it clear it's an eliminated contestant from a previous season? Or one of these 12? I can't stand Danushka. I would never watch a show of hers, the way she talks as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth drives me crazy.

I don't know if they've made that clear, but if they're aiming to rip off "Top Chef", etc., it will be someone who was part of the current season who was eliminated earlier in that same season.

Yeah, I'm not loving some of their choices for the upcoming season either. I'd rather they pick people who aren't so recognizable from other sources. I still think they should do an "All Stars" season with eliminated favorite contestants from past FNS seasons. They've let an awful lot of talented people go home, never to be heard from again who I think deserve a second chance, like Marti, Emily and others from earlier seasons.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 12:28 AM

Surprised to see some familiar faces will be completing! I'll be rooting for Stacey Poon Kinney, she was previously on Restaurant Impossible. Her restaurant stood out because unlike all the dumps featured on the show, it actually had good food and actually looked nice.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

I can't believe that we're going to have to put up with a bunch of episodes of "I'm so beautiful & thin, people don't believe I'm a chef".

That part didn't really bother me. Arrogant, their own biggest fan, and self-absorbed have never been disqualifying personality traits for chefs (or, looking at the current lineup, for Food Network Stars).

It was when she got defensive on Chopped and told the judges (paraphrasing here, because I'm not rewatching it) that she knows she's a great chef because her clients sit down for drinks with her when she's done cooking that annoyed me. Sure, OK. Rich folks pay you to socialize with them. You're just exactly what a panel of women who have to struggle to be taken seriously as professionals are looking for in a champion, so much so that your not-great cooking doesn't matter.

I figure she has some connection with a person of influence at TFN. I don't blame them for keeping it quiet.

Edited by jmhm, Apr 21, 2013 @ 12:59 AM.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 1:25 AM

I figure she has some connection with a person of influence at TFN.

I'm guessing the connection is somewhere around crotch level.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

that she knows she's a great chef because her clients sit down for drinks with her when she's done cooking

It annoyed me too. She is a former model who thinks she's a chef. Her lazy attitude won't take her far in this venue, I hope.

And yes, GaT, you nailed it.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 6:39 PM

I just think she came on someone's radar, and the network sees her as Penny Davidi mark two, or maybe the second coming of that Bitchin' Kitchen woman. They definitely seem to be open to selling the sizzle instead of the steak.