The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Bobby for those who want to be good cooks.
Alton for those who want to show how things work.
Giada for those who want to show their titties on TV.

So I was reading the new Food Network magazine, and they did a feature on the new season, including introductions to the teams, headed by each mentor's comments about what he/she looked for in a team member.

Bobby said that since he looks at it from a chef's point of view, he's most concerned with getting the best possible chefs.

Alton said that he wants people who are knowledgable and know how to communicate well, because you can develop that but you can't really create it or teach it.

And Giada said she looks for tv-ready personalities, because, even though you do want them to cook well, the audience can't taste the food.

So much as I do like Giada - I use a lot of her recipes and her bottled sauce at Target is one of the best commercial brands I've tasted - it looks like the above poster really nailed this.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

I think the whole lot of them are just playing the part. Of course Bobby says he's in it for the food, but he'll toss out an unlikable jerk just as fast as any of the other three, and Giada will bounce out a good personality for serving her something that makes her have the opposite of that reaction she gets when she eats her own food. The whole idea of making us think that any of the judges have a Point of View is just for TV.

But you know what? I don't care. I love this stupid show because it is, and has been for a while now, very entertaining TV. It's not very good at picking actual Food TV stars, but it sure is fun to watch.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

But you know what? I don't care. I love this stupid show because it is, and has been for a while now, very entertaining TV. It's not very good at picking actual Food TV stars, but it sure is fun to watch.

I agree, JTMacc99. It's like the PG-rated wannabe version of Top Chef, minus the actual chefs. I'm looking forward to seeing what Bobby will do with his "team", because he was really a pleasant surprise on "Worst Cooks in America". I thought he did very well coaching his team there. And last season on TNFNS, I could see his open disgust with some of the competitors, which I agreed with. If it were really all about the food to him, this would be like "The Next Iron Chef", so you're correct he's going to toss someone with a jerky personality because who the hell will want to watch that show? We can see it once a week on "Chopped".

I feel sorry for those on Alton's team. He was just downright ugly to last year's competitors when he was directing a commercial or whatever it was. Granted, some of them deserved it, but it was relatively early in the competition. Alton, this is not a Cecil B. DeMille production, so please control the contempt.

I couldn't believe when I saw Michelle as one of the competitors. She is certainly likeable, but damn, she's run the gauntlet of every FN competitive show as FriedButter stated.

The audience pick was more successful in that it brought us Guy, for better or worse, but he's certainly been a cash cow for FN. I enjoyed the first season's winners' show, The Hearty Boys, who were partners in a catering business and also in life, but before too long, their show and re-runs kept moving earlier and earlier weekend mornings until an infomercial took the show's place. I think I remember hearing that they were about to adopt a child and wanted to focus on family, but I could be wrong.

i heart food

i heart food

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

New season starting May 13!!! I think everyone will recognize one of the contestants, I think his name is Justin Warner?? He was on Scott Conant's show 24-Hour Restaurant Battle, he was the server turned "chef" who had the restaurant where jelly was served with everything. I remember he was such a douche to his girlfriend, but I noticed on his bio that he has since opened a restaurant that he is the chef of, so good for him I guess. I don't think I'll be rooting for him to win.

OTOH, I am looking forward to the fact that they are changing the rules, I can't wait to see the new format!

Joan21

Joan21

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I just saw a commercial for the new season for the first time and was so worried that Tuschie and the Fog were gone. Those two nut jobs (and people's comments about them on this board) are the best thing about TNFNS for me, so I was so glad to find out they will still be on!

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

So now Next Food Network Star becomes "The Voice" with food. Well, no one ever accused the Food Network of originality. I'm almost surprised they didn't go whole hog and have blind auditions and swiveling chairs.

That said, the last two seasons of NFNS were borderline unwatchable, and the show was desperately in need of a make-over. So I'm okay with that, but not happy about increased screen time for Giada, who I find one dimensional and dull, or Alton Brown, who I found pompous and irritating. I'm generally okay with Bobby Flay, but is there a rule he has to be on every food related competition show? (Not just on FN, but on that America's Next Great Restaurant.)

I wish that FN could exhibit some creative thinking and not give us show hosts that have been exposed to death. But I suspect it has something to do with how they pay these people, and wanting to get the most bang for their buck.

Edited by Northwester, May 7, 2012 @ 1:29 AM.

katnapped

katnapped

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Cooking Channel is running the season when Guy was on. Hard to believe how relatively low-key (compared to the series now) it was back then.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

It certainly was. I'd like to have seen that, but I don't get that channel. Guy was so different--still annoying, yet seemingly an actual person. Now he's a persona, a supaSTAH and even more annoying. The production values were so obviously different, and they announced the results live. If I recall, Emeril announced the audience choice for a winner.

They aired some of last season yesterday afternoon on FN, and I happened to catch the episode where Guy directs them in a "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives"-type challenge, which was utterly stupid. Then the contestants had to present their "twist" on a dish in honor of July 4th. I'm sure it was actually November or something. Even after watching Penny on "Chopped", I had forgotten how utterly horrible a person she is. Most of the others were irritating in some way, but she brought it to a whole new level. I hope there isn't anyone quite that bad.

I just saw a commercial for the new season for the first time and was so worried that Tuschie and the Fog were gone.

Hey, this show is where they truly earn their keep! Rest assured that Susie/Medusa and Bob/Kermit/Tuschie WILL be there to judge the contestants' personalities, because that's what it's all about. And if they don't like some aspect of their cooking style/life story/personality, they will pigeon-hole them into what they want them to be. And the contestants will gladly do so for a chance to cook in the FN basement for 6 episodes and then be relegated to a time slot that's earlier and earlier until it disappears. Besides, they've taken away two of the other judges and changed them to "coaches" or whatever the hell their role will be.

katnapped

katnapped

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Also seems strange how the evaluations are in a room that looks to be the size of a walk in closet...LOL!

(actually might be the kitchen set, but it's REALLY small nonetheless)

It certainly was. I'd like to have seen that, but I don't get that channel. Guy was so different--still annoying, yet seemingly an actual person. Now he's a persona, a supaSTAH and even more annoying.

Alton said he seemed too much like a slick used car salesman. They (Bob, Susie, and crew) also kept remarking that he seemed like he was talking to his restaurant staff and not to the audience (too smart for the room).

Edited by katnapped, May 11, 2012 @ 2:03 PM.

OoogleEyes

OoogleEyes

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Alton said he seemed too much like a slick used car salesman

But, no matter how annoying he is, they keep giving him more and MORE shows, as well as showing Diners, Drive-ins and Dives ad nauseam. Enough, already!!

The audience did choose him, in the end, so I guess they think we deserve him.

Edited by OoogleEyes, May 11, 2012 @ 5:34 PM.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

I also watched this marathon from the second season. It certainly was low-key and much less hype than they use today. Except for Nathan's brief comments, there was very little drama and criticism (like our "dear" Penny), and they kept the focus of preparing these people for their final promo for their show. That is certainly much different now. With 15 people they demand to know the concept of their show from the very beginning where on season 2 it was only rather late that they started talking about their show's theme.

That leads to my question: Everything was actually done in the week before the final show. I assume they did that so the votes could accumulate over that next week. Are they going to do the same thing with this new season, if the people are going to decide once again? They stopped doing that after the debacle with Jag, and the resulting voting between Amy and Rory. I wonder if they have some way of guaranteeing that automatic voting, etc. won't occur.

doodlesmomma

doodlesmomma

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

My question is about the seasons on FN, in particular how long a season is. This afternoon's lineup shows Best of FN Stars, then Casting FN Star. The re-caps says "a look at the casting process for the 8th season of NFNS". Two hours before this airs, DDD's is "a look back at Guy Fieri's favorite moments from the first 9 seasons". Guy won NFS in what, season 2 or 3? And since then he's had 9 seasons of his own show? How many episodes make up a season? Regular network programming when I was growing up, (when there were only 3) a season was 23 episodes, I think. So for FN, is it however many episodes they choose for a particular show, or a set number? Anyone know? Just seems odd to me. Also, I don't know if can watch that much Giada this season. She's become less likeable to me in recent years.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

My question is about the seasons on FN, in particular how long a season is.

Outside of broadcast networks, best I can tell is "a season" is totally arbitrary and however long they decided it should be. Shortest I've seen is 6 shows, like they do with the winners of FNS. Other shows on FN, just seems to be how many shows hosts are willing to do and advertisers are willing to pay for.

Latsmile

Latsmile

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Ok, I'm in. Funny to watch all of these people come in with their "stories" and all the fixin's that they know FN wants. Anyone who's watched the show knows the schtick. All so predictable but the only shocker?...

...Bobby Flay saying that although healthy eating is popular and important right now, the Food Network doesn't focus on it much. Something like that. It was interesting that he said that but even more interesting that they didn't edit it out. And the woman who was auditioning agreed and I wondered if she thought it might be a trick question. It seems risky to be critical of your potential employer even though Bobby led her there.

So since they said it "out loud"...I wonder if she's the winner?

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

I CANNOT believe Giada picked that idiot that jumped up on her counter-where the food prep is done!!! I would have told that knucklehead to turn around and leave-if he didn't know not to do that he sure as hell doesn't need to be on a cooking show!!

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

The first chef Bobby picked, the Lesbian chick that looks a little like Liz Faulkner has appeared on Chopped. I see that Alton has another Melissa look-a-like (Kristin was it? She is younger and cuter than Melissa, but I wonder what Mrs Alton looks like?) Yeah the guy that jumped on the counter looks really, really annoying.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Bobby Flay saying that although healthy eating is popular and important right now, the Food Network doesn't focus on it much.

Well, that is interesting. We have Bobby Deen on CC doing a lighter version of "his momma's meals." I read an interview with Flay saying he was concerned about his weight post age 40, so he started running, and has lost at least 20 pounds. You can see it, and good for him. Let's hope this is a return to showing healthy cooking. They've done it in the past, but abandoned it. Fingers crossed.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

I CANNOT believe Giada picked that idiot that jumped up on her counter-where the food prep is done!!! I would have told that knucklehead to turn around and leave-if he didn't know not to do that he sure as hell doesn't need to be on a cooking show!!

Wait, Giada picked Bobby Flay to be on her team?

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]
[/font]

That image of Bobby jumping on the counter was the first thing I thought about as well.

Edited by PhPhan, May 13, 2012 @ 9:53 AM.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

That jerk couldn't hold Bobby's knives.

AladdinSane

AladdinSane

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Was anyone else laughing when Giada 'interviewed' <ahem> 'MarTEET'a?
It was like looking at Giada & her Mexican doppelganger.
#mucho bueno mammaries.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

This, too, was my first thought.

Bobby Flay saying that although healthy eating is popular and important right now, the Food Network doesn't focus on it much. Something like that. It was interesting that he said that but even more interesting that they didn't edit it out.

It is more interesting that it wasn't edited out. As tightly woven into the fabric of FN Bobby is, he must know the reason why, also (which I'd dearly love to hear). I loved Ellie Krieger's show & when it was canceled, FN became devoid of any shows geared toward healthy eating. It will be interesting to see if Bobby tries to turn the contestant away from healthy-all-the-time.

Anacharsis

Anacharsis

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

I like the new format a lot, especially the face-off and pitch room at the end. And surprisingly, their three-way battle was a better Restaurant Wars than Top Chef ever put on. Alton, Giada, Bobby, Susie, and Tusch were also the most likable I've ever seen them except when Susie and Giada decided to act like giggling idiots with Justin. I like most of the contestants, too, especially Justin, Ippy, Yvon, Malcolm, Michele, Judsen, and Linkie.

I'm not sure about Emily. That fifties shit is grating. Plus, had she not shut down Cristie at the beginning things may have turned out differently. Seems like Cristie was never able to get it together after that. I mean, pureed black-eyed peas? Who would ever want to eat that? Gross. Anyway, I felt bad for her. Plus it would be nice to see a healthy food show again, so I wish she had stayed over Josh. He'd be a lot less annoying if he dropped the rock-n-roller shtick.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Don't really care for the changes. I think the new format works better on paper, just didn't like how it translated. Still, I'll give the season a chance.

And the only contestants that stand out to me are Martita and the Venezuelen guy (sorry, still learning all their names), otherwise, I don't really like any of the others.

AladdinSane

AladdinSane

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Yes Josh:
you are the rockinest Rocker who ever rocked, but unless 'RockStar: INXS' reappears to find a replacement for JD Fortune, I am done with you.
Please exit stage left.

If Guy Fieri & Ann Burrell mated <shudder>, their spawn would have to resemble the Bobby Flay team, faux-hawked 'Michelle'

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought the table at the end with the light was 'odd' looking.

Don't really care for the changes. I think the new format works better on paper, just didn't like how it translated. Still, I'll give the season a chance.

Same here. I thought the mentoring was boring. Alton is still a prick and full of himself. I kind of like the cook off. Nerves can get the best of anyone so it gives them a second chance.

And the only contestants that stand out to me are Martita and the Venezuelen guy (sorry, still learning all their names), otherwise, I don't really like any of the others.

I started to make a note of the ones I didn't like but stopped when I realized it was going to be most of them. I did like the bow tie guy.

I thought I recognized Yvan and turns out he was on Chopped too. He lost in the dessert round to Natalia Machado who is on an episode of Sweet Genius' new season.

Now for the superficial - Giada looked really bad. She had dark circles under her eyes and must only weigh about 50 pounds. Tinkie or Binkie or whatever her name is could really use a good conditioner.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

I don't remember her name, Christine maybe? What was Black-Eyed Pea Cabbage Crap Mush girl thinking? You have a chance to shine in front of the judges and the head of the Food Network and impress them with your BEST DISH. Of ALL the things she could make why pick that? Pick a dish that reflects your culinary style. Apparently, gray pig slop is her style. Then again, she kept trying to work in her story of being from Mississippi, but no one wants to eat Mississippi River sludge. Then in the head-to-head cook off she makes a Scotch Egg which she describes as a reverse omelet. Um, okay. I can see that except it's not funny nor interesting. I watch a lot of cooking competition shows and the Scotch Egg never wins.

So far I'm liking the new format only b/c I was tired of the old format. May as well make the 2 worst of the night do a cook-off dish like Master Chef contestants. We'll see if it gets better thru the season.

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

I feel like being in the bottom 2 is a risk but if you always get to practice to camera...that's kind of nice, I would think. Seems like it also gives you more time in front of the viewer, too, if every episode has that element.

That was too much with the stories. At least the one minute food demos should be about food, I would think. I didn't even know what the woman made, let alone that she substituted turkey or something for pork, until she was at judge's table or the boardroom, whatever they're calling that segment at the very end.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

I wanted the judges to send both of the bottom two home.
They guy (josh?) was an idiot. "Rock 'N Roll!!!!!" was irrelevant to anything he cooked. His attempts at humor were embarrassing, especially the thing about "Moms donated their eggs". There's no way he'll win, they should have kicked him off the minute he put himself and his shoes on the counter.

And the girl (Christie?) What the hell was that black-eyed peas mashed cabbage puree glop? I eat healthy, you don't have to convince me to do so. But eating healthy does not mean digging in to what looked like a plate of VOMIT.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:16 AM

I don't care for the new format of this show. Why mess with success? It is now a cross between "The Apprentice" and "American Idol," IMHO.

I was flabbergasted when Giada chose what's-his-name who jumped on the counter (and missed). That turned me off of him fast. I think that Alton has the strongest team so far, even though Christie went home tonight.

My early guess for the winner is Michele, the tomboy on Alton's team. She seems to be one of the few people who is being herself so far. I think the quirky kid has a mind like a steel trap and is so much like Alton, but I doubt whether he'll make the cut. I also like the girl with the glasses, but the previews showed her crying next week. I don't care for Giada and don't care much for the people she chose except for the Mexican girl who fell flat tonight.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, May 14, 2012 @ 2:19 AM.