The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 1:51 PM

[Penny] is benefiting from cooking a cuisine that is more unfamiliar so the judges probably can't really tell if it's that good or not, only that it is different.

IMHO, if Penny's food tastes good to Bob, Suzie, and Bobby, that's probably good enough -- if you can make food that's relatively easy to make and that looks and sounds good to middle America, then you have a shot to join FN's daytime stable. Penny's problem is that she's cast herself as the villain, and I don't see how FN can say "Hey, watch this show by this horrible person who is mean to everyone!"

I sort of agree that if NFNS gets ratings, then it doesn't matter if it gives its winners 6 episodes and out, but on the other hand, if it doesn't have another "star" eventually, it's going to be like the Bachelor -- clearly more or less fake.

Harry Corvair

Harry Corvair

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

RE: Theories Surrounding the Missing Lobster:
1.) Stolen by Colonel Mustard, 2.) Eaten by Chris, or 3.) He spent his grocery money on beer.

RE: Albondigate
For judges having difficulties understanding the concept of what an albondiga is:
If it's meat rolled into the shape of a ball... HELLO - it's a meatball.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 2:40 PM

RE: Albondigate
For judges having difficulties understanding the concept of what an albondiga is:
If it's meat rolled into the shape of a ball... HELLO - it's a meatball.

I don't think it was the judges who didn't understand. Their point was that she needed to explain it to people who were most likely not to know what it was. I watch tons of Food TV, and read about food too, and I had to guess about what it might be. (I assumed it was in the shape of a ball, but after that, I didn't really know.)

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 2:51 PM

The thing I thought was weird about the albondigas was that initially Suzy was all there is no way the ball idea would fit with her point of view and then when she was actually making them she said that this dish was a staple in her house and her mom made them a million different ways.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 3:42 PM

FN has just decided that this is a more profitable franchise is a standard reality show as opposed to a genuine search for a future host.

Yeah... but that's old news. I still enjoy watching because of the food aspect. I FF the other stuff. Don't really care who actually wins. LOL.

pacejunkie

pacejunkie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 4:16 PM

Personality and interpersonal skills sure mattered last season. I remember that the main reason Brianna went home was because in the mingle-with-the-public challenges most people thought she was cold and unlikeable. So I guess it matters more what the public think of her than the other contestants (though Brianna wasn't nearly as horrible to the other competitors as Penny's been shown to be.) I do agree she will be kept around until just before the finals and then sent home.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 7:22 PM

I lived in LA for 8 years and I knew about albondigas soup, from restaurant menus and commercials and food reviews and other things. I don't think it was as mysterious as the judges thought it was.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

I lived in LA for 8 years and I knew about albondigas soup, from restaurant menus and commercials and food reviews and other things. I don't think it was as mysterious as the judges thought it was.

But on the other hand those of us outside of LA have never heard of albondigas soup.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 10:39 PM

Gah. Why do I watch the reruns. I get so annoyed at times. Jeff is nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is. But then neither am I. Ha. I wish he would stop trying to be funny because he might make a good host if he did.

The thing I thought was weird about the albondigas was that initially Suzy was all there is no way the ball idea would fit with her point of view and then when she was actually making them she said that this dish was a staple in her house and her mom made them a million different ways.

I thought her concern was the name and the way it would be perceived by the public.

I would also be interested to know how the judges table for FFF actually played out. The way it seemed to go (as far as I recall) Mary Beth started out by (practically) TATTLING on Cents-less for slowing things down. Did the judges ASK about the timing of the food?

I think you mean Wrap It Up. Giada asked all of them how it was working together and Chris said that service suffered at times, Mary Beth said the steak wraps weren't ready on time and it went downhill from there. I think they had every right to try to let the judges know that Penny's food wasn't ready. There's a reason a time limit is put on the challenge. In episode 1 Vic needed about an extra minute to get his lobster on his dish but he followed the rules and quit when time was up and got called out for the missing lobster.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 10:42 PM

I thought her concern was the name and the way it would be perceived by the public.

That was also a concern but her first concern was that there wasn't a dish she can make that would be from her first point of view and Whitney told her that it would be okay because she could literally make anything into a ball, so it wouldn't be a problem for her to do something with a Latin twist. Once she decided on her dish she started voicing concerns about the name.

kiki1234

kiki1234

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 11:12 PM

This is so creepy. As I was reading your reply I turned on the tv to see what was on. It was still on FN from earlier and the discussion with the Balls team was on. Shudders.

Jeff seemed to steamroll over the other two. I was surprised because I would have thought Whitney was too much of a control freak to allow that. I guess she was just so willing to be funny for the judges that she let the comedian take the lead.

Edited by kiki1234, Jul 13, 2011 @ 11:16 PM.

buttercupia

buttercupia

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 6:27 AM

I'm a lifelong resident of pittsburgh pa and I know what albondigas soup is. it's not exactly exotic. It did look delicious though, with the chorizo in it.

I think Whitney may be next to go. The judges are riding her like they rode Orchid. Does not bode well.

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 8:32 AM

1) Whitney:

Whitney's getting the same treatment as Justin did the few weeks before he went.

Week 1: Be more funny!
Week 2: What's all this funniness? You're not acting like yourself! Also, be more energetic!
Week 3: Why so crazy? You're acting hyper. I don't know who you are!

I mean, I guess I see it -- if you can't take the judge's notes without compromising your own voice, you're probably not what they're looking for, but it's still painful to see.

2) Albondigate:

I thought it was a reasonable suggestion, since they're looking for a TV personality, for the judges to ask Suzy to work on explaining some of the stuff she does. It's probably a good suggestion for everyone -- a little story about your grandmother cooking the dish with you or how you use saffron and what it does for your dish goes a long way. In Suzie's specific case, the easy story would be a little background on the dish.

Edited by Vercingetorix, Jul 14, 2011 @ 8:33 AM.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 9:53 AM

But on the other hand those of us outside of LA have never heard of albondigas soup.

If you have been to any Mexican restaurant more then a few times you should know what Mexican meatballs are. Sometimes I think they over explain things to play to the lowest common denominator--as so many shows seem to feel the need now days. Rather than making us look it up and think.

Sorry to see Orchid go but her flame just flickered and died. Can't wait for Penny to leave!

Edited by Cgr, Jul 14, 2011 @ 9:55 AM.

Muwarr90

Muwarr90

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 10:03 AM

2) Albondigate:

I thought it was a reasonable suggestion, since they're looking for a TV personality, for the judges to ask Suzy to work on explaining some of the stuff she does. It's probably a good suggestion for everyone -- a little story about your grandmother cooking the dish with you or how you use saffron and what it does for your dish goes a long way. In Suzie's specific case, the easy story would be a little background on the dish.

It's hard to get that in during a 30 second commercial which you are sharing with two other people.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

This. This. THIS

Like ANGR, the journey was the end unto itself. The "prize" is bullshit.

To be fair, at its inception it wasn't. I mean Guy Fieri can attest to that. But things change sometimes, unfortunately.

Whitney's getting the same treatment as Justin did the few weeks before he went.

Week 1: Be more funny!
Week 2: What's all this funniness? You're not acting like yourself! Also, be more energetic!
Week 3: Why so crazy? You're acting hyper. I don't know who you are!

What I don't get it why they'd play these games with her in particular. I mean lets be frank--she's the hot girl. At the hot girl type is a pretty marketable thing.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 10:42 AM

Then he gives Orchid this gem of advice (paraphrased): Use good adjectives from your Rolodex to talk about things.
What a wordsmith! My 7th grade language arts teacher forbade the use of empty words such as "good" and "things."

Not to mention, a Rolodex has nothing to do with vocabulary. You don't keep adjectives on it, you keep phone numbers/contact info on it ;)

flotsette

flotsette

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 10:52 AM

Albondigas must be a regional thing - here in the Pacific Northwest I don't think we see much of it. I eat a lot of Mexican, and sometimes at the actual authentic places, and I'd never heard of it. But I will have to look out for it now.

What really made me uncomfortable is how Suzie was handing the onions. She certainly seemed to be playing up the dirty aspects of the Balls concept.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

I mean lets be frank--she's the hot girl.

You'd better hope Penny isn't reading this!

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 11:38 AM

Albondigas must be a regional thing - here in the Pacific Northwest I don't think we see much of it. I eat a lot of Mexican, and sometimes at the actual authentic places, and I'd never heard of it. But I will have to look out for it now.

Same here, and I'm from southeast Texas. I've never heard of it nor do I think I've ever seen it on a Tex-Mex menu.

Maybe that's why I've never heard of it - it's not Tex-Mex but authentic Mexican cuisine?

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

To continue the theme of "hotness" (which, after all, is an attribute mentioned even by the judges):
If I were a man (which I'm not), and I had a choice between a date with Susie or a date with Whitney, I'd choose Susie in a flash. She bubbles over with pep, a sense of humor, an all-around great attitude, and a way of looking forward to each challenge as an adventure. Whitney, on the other hand, has from the beginning seemed blah, with an unseen screen in front of her that won't allow people to see who she is. In short, she's uptight. Yes, I've seen her act vivacious, but that's how it strikes me -- as an "act."

I'm with the judges on Whitney. I think they're struggling for words to tell her how to change, but that same remoteness continues. I don't dislike Whitney; I just don't "get" her. Susie, I get -- and I like. I think the judges have seen things in Whitney that they like, and they're trying to bring her personality out in any description they can find, and it may be impossible to find it.

Paula in Playa

Paula in Playa

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 12:52 PM

Eh, Susie seems a little desparate to me sometimes, and I find that off-putting.

Not to beat a dead meatball, but if you go to taco joints with the typical burrito/taco/tostada/torta menu, you might not see albondigas. But if you go to an actual restaurant, you're more likely to see it. And the best albondigas I've ever had was a whitebread diner a few miles from my house. One of their cooks was Mexican, and he made his mom's recipe. Awesome.

Oh, and it's usually just albondigas, not albondigas soup, which sounds weird to my ear. I know albondiga means meatball, but whenever you hear someone talking about albondigas, 9 times out of 10, they're talking about the soup.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 3:00 PM

It's hard to get that in during a 30 second commercial which you are sharing with two other people.

I don't think they were criticizing Susie for her performance in the commercial. I think the judges were criticizing her for her later presentation of the food to the judges themselves (when the judges visited each food truck individually).

To be honest, I think they had a point. Regardless of whether you know what albondigas is or not, Susie kinda fell down on describing her particular version of it.

It's like if Jeff had said "I made an Italian-style meatball." OK... I know what an Italian meatball is, but what makes your meatball remarkable compared to the other ten thousand variations on Italian-style meatballs that are out there? It's not that Susie needed to give everybody a lesson on albondigas but she should have said more than "it's a meatball in broth" or whatever vague thing she said.

Edited by MissMoneyBags, Jul 14, 2011 @ 3:01 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

Chicago area here - never heard of it. And yeah, we eat at all kinds of Mexican restaurants.

rivermet

rivermet

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 3:03 PM

I have been to a lot of actual Mexican restaurants and have never heard of nor seen on the menu albondigas. I'm sure they are in some parts of the U.S. but not in Indiana, so I would have appreciated a little more info.

Edited by rivermet, Jul 14, 2011 @ 3:05 PM.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 3:58 PM

Given the demographics FN wants to attract, I wonder if Mary Beth has much of a chance while Vic Vegas sure does. I'm 100% in Whitney's corner because I prefer calmness over craziness, but that's just me. As for Susie and Jyll, they're OK, but I probably wouldn't watch them; Jeff and Chris are goners (I hope); and Penny is who and what she is.

MoeBee

MoeBee

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 5:03 PM

Let's hope that if Vic wins he replaces Tom Pizzica (sp?) on that dopey Outrageous Food show. He is so stiff and awkward on that show, it's uncomfortable to watch.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 5:54 PM

I have been to a lot of actual Mexican restaurants and have never heard of nor seen on the menu albondigas. I'm sure they are in some parts of the U.S. but not in Indiana, so I would have appreciated a little more info.

I'm thinking the dish is regional. And I don't mean regional to the U.S., but regional to part of Mexico. Which might lead to it being common in some parts of the U.S. as well, but not at all in others, if the Mexicans settled in those parts break down among Mexican regional lines.

EDIT - a little web searching reveals that the origin is Spanish, and ultimately BEFORE that Arabic. And also finds TONS of "I never heard of it" posts as well--apparently its FAR from universal.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

Yeah, I think of albondigas as Spanish, not strictly Mexican. Anyway, it's hard to screw 'em up and they're so mighty tasty. I've never mixed in chorizo. That's something I'll try.

Whitney made me wonder how familiar she is with falafel if she even considered using canned beans. That situation sounded totally canned, like a "how not to make falafel" PSA. I sense scripting, surprise.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 6:24 PM

Whitney made me wonder how familiar she is with falafel if she even considered using canned beans. That situation sounded totally canned, like a "how not to make falafel" PSA. I sense scripting, surprise.

She is familiar with making falafels, according to her blog. She said in her VOs she made falafels quite a lot, but did acknowledge it was her first time using canned chickpeas (since she obviously didn't have time to soak chickpeas overnight), and therefore didn't know how that would affect her falafel.