The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

Gibbie

Gibbie

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

Aaron is not their affirmative action choice but I do think he's filling a demographic they want. How many times have they emphasized that he's from Camden? How many times have they wanted him to relax and be himself? Bobby kept emphasizing "You're just walking down the street in Camden." He's their urban demographic. He's filling a spot they want filled. Doesn't matter if he can cook. And speaking of, since when does being a hospital chef mean you know anything about flavor? Who's had hospital food with a bit of taste to it!!

Beccadawg

Beccadawg

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 11:53 AM

The clearest bit of evidence that they don't view TNFNS's mission as developing an actual next FN star is that a standout applicant, Mary Nolan, was plucked out of the pool and given her own show "Chic & Easy" right away.

If I were Mary Nolan, I'd have rather gone through the NFNS rigamarole. At least then she would have had a ready-made audience. As it is, they gave her a terrible time slot and didn't publicize it at all, so nobody watched. I haven't seen anything else about her, so I'm assuming it wasn't renewed.

The other thing is, I'm not sure who it was that decided she was so far better than the other NFNS applicants, cuz her show was a little blah.

Even if we hadn't already been told, I would know that Adam doesn't win - isn't the Ask Aida show pretty much what Gordon Elliott was trying to create for Adam? I guess Gordon came up with the idea and they used it, just with somebody else as the "star."

greeneyerish

greeneyerish

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 12:49 PM

Haveahabit wrote

Wikipedia has posted the winner.

This is too funny and the fact that it's posted at least 3 days before the actual final is just goofy

Does Bob Tuschman reveal the outcome in his blog posted Friday by even posting a possible name for the new show in quotes?

Aaron has come so far in these 8 weeks: from nervous hospital chef to a confident “Big Daddy” who has impressed a battalion of top TV chefs, Iron and otherwise, with his cooking, humor and warmth. I don’t want to send him home. Adam? Funny, down to earth, quick witted and he’s finally proven he’s got the food chops. He’s staying. Lisa? Talented, memorable, stylish and an expert cook. Not sending her home.

The entire blog entry here

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/nfns/

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 2:18 PM

Does Bob Tuschman reveal the outcome in his blog posted Friday by even posting a possible name for the new show in quotes?

Maybe he thought he was being clever, since he might well have thought the winner would be a secret.

New England Jen

New England Jen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 4:36 PM

I see that they disabled comments on the Judges' Blog immediately after Thursday's little snafu. Interesting.

And to whomever posted about hospital food having flavor to it:
Aaron works as an executive caterer for a hospital. I'd imagine that all of the fancy Galas and business meetings and public affairs are catered in-house by a catering team. I'm willing to bet that's what Aaron does, rather than cook food for the patients and the general public.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 5:00 PM

A good friend ended up on the "royalty" floor at a big hospital in Houston a few yrs ago. The same floor Bush Sr is in and all the Arab royalty. She had a private chef making all her meals. I forget now how she ended up there but no way is she RICH! I imagine that is the sort of chef Aaron is.

MaryBellJo

MaryBellJo

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 6:17 PM

Here's a You Tube clip from someone who saved screen shots of the pages that were taken down. It's got some X-Files type music, which sorta cracked me up.

Edited by MaryBellJo, Jul 26, 2008 @ 6:19 PM.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 8:31 PM

I was in a regular-people hospital many years ago. They served the best peach cobbler and chocolate shakes I've ever had. They also had great dinner rolls, but I don't think they baked those on-site. (Although I've never met a dinner roll I didn't like, so that may not be anything to get all excited about.)

I've been to a hospital in the St. Louis area that has an awesome cafeteria/restaurant with great food. They have a huge buffet with homestyle food. That is nice for the visiting families.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 10:21 PM

Wow. What a fanstastic shitstorm of ineptitude. I can't wait to read what Tushie or Sooze has to say about all of this in their blogs. I hope that one or both of them has cried because of all of this. They are horrible people.

I am still holding out hope that the spoiler about Aaron-------- winning isn't true even though I'm sure it has to be. Whoever said that the person that does bad last episode and sticks around wins the whole thing deserves an effing cookie.

If I were Mary Nolan, I'd have rather gone through the NFNS rigamarole. At least then she would have had a ready-made audience. As it is, they gave her a terrible time slot and didn't publicize it at all, so nobody watched. I haven't seen anything else about her, so I'm assuming it wasn't renewed.

Word. I kind of feel bad for the girl. She wasn't great, but her recipes had some promise, and the poor girl never got the chance to get over the beginning show jitters. See: Giada DeLaurentis

Edited by evilandproud, Jul 26, 2008 @ 10:24 PM.

TappyOca

TappyOca

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 11:03 PM

shitstorm of ineptitude

truer words were never spoken, evilandproud.

I'm done with this show. I was willing to overlook Jag-Gate last season as just someone not doing their homework on a contestant, but this is absolutely unforgivable. There needs to be a quick and final cancellation of this fiasco. No one is going to forget this travesty of a finale.

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2008 @ 11:26 PM

No one is going to forget this travesty of a finale.

Making it, therefore, a stunning success! No bad publicity and all that.

Haveahabit

Haveahabit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 12:10 AM

a fanstastic shitstorm of ineptitude.

The new Food Network motto - encompassing JAG, Robert Irvine and TNFNS finale - just in the past year.

arc

arc

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 2:19 AM

I was willing to overlook Jag-Gate last season as just someone not doing their homework on a contestant, but this is absolutely unforgivable.

But on the plus side, they'll hopefully find a new and different way to screw up the end of TNFNS next season.

Melancholiac

Melancholiac

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 6:57 AM

Now that we have evidence from so many sources that the spoilers are true, I'll skip the finale tonight. I wasn't rooting for tonight's winner and have no desire to invest an hour of my time only to see an outcome that irks me. I'll go with Mad Men instead. Hopefully, the season two premier tonight will feature lots of my favorite secretary...Joan, masterfully played by Christina Hendricks.

On another mini-rant, I half-watched the marathon of NFNS the other day, despite having already seen the episodes, and the critiques from Kermit and Medusa varied so much from week to week it was schizophrenic. One week, they would tell Contestant A to do more of something and then ding them the next week for doing exactly that.

And, oh yeah, the working title for the winner's new show...skeevy.

Edited by Melancholiac, Jul 27, 2008 @ 7:19 AM.

Pansy Potter

Pansy Potter

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

At least it isn't titled I'll Be Your Daddy.....

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 10:33 AM

Now that we have evidence from so many sources that the spoilers are true, I'll skip the finale tonight. I wasn't rooting for tonight's winner

That's the inherent problem with this show and other reality shows that pick a winner (like Rock Star, American Idol, etc.). Everybody's got their personal favorites, so whoever wins has only a portion of the viewers' support. The rest of the viewers feel ripped off and won't buy any future product or view any future show of the winner's. Of course, the other big problem is this show keeps F-ing up royally with the logistics. Pull your act together, Food Network! GEEZ! I cannot believe how much and how badly they screw up.

I personally love reality shows like NFNS, but it's getting ridiculous that the Food Network has so little in the way of cooking instruction shows. Yeah, I know the focus groups, etc. said people don't want the food instruction shows as much, but maybe Food Network should take a page from MTV. MTV stopped showing music videos in favor of reality shows, then spun off MTV2 for the music videos. How about a FN2 for the cooking instruction shows? But as of now, I'll just head to PBS for the true cooking shows.

Edited by Shira, Jul 27, 2008 @ 10:34 AM.

OHgamer

OHgamer

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 10:37 AM

but maybe Food Network should take a page from MTV. MTV stopped showing music videos in favor of reality shows, then spun off MTV2 for the music videos. How about a FN2 for the cooking instruction shows?

That appears to be what Fine Living (which is also owned by Scripps, FN's parent company) seems to be developing as from what I hear it has become the "asylum" for some of FN's older cooking shows no longer in production - Molto Mario, Emeril Live, Food Finds, Iron Chef (Japanese series) are all on Fine Living now.

To me it seems that Scripps is segregating out its shows to target different demographics - with Fine Living being for the more upscale/yuppified/refined viewers and FN (and HGTV) being the channels for the entertainment of the unwashed masses with much less focus on "how to" as opposed to "mindless entertainment" Unfortunately at least my cable company does not offer Fine Living as part of their basic cable, requiring you to get a full cable service package to get it included, which at least for me is not in my budget. I guess i'm not "refined" enough financially to afford the channel, so have to "muck in" with the masses watching Tater Tot.

Edited by OHgamer, Jul 27, 2008 @ 10:43 AM.

Bob War

Bob War

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 10:50 AM

MTV stopped showing music videos in favor of reality shows, then spun off MTV2 for the music videos.

Ironically, MTV2 is showing a marathon of Run's House, America's Best Dance Crew, and From G's to Gents today, so even the spin-off channel isn't heavy on videos. They had to go to a 3rd channel, MTVHits, to actually show videos, and that target is the "young demographic", they aren't showing anything old or classic.

Hopefully we won't have to get TFN4 to get some decent programming.

New England Jen

New England Jen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 10:58 AM

That appears to be what Fine Living (which is also owned by Scripps, FN's parent company) seems to be developing as from what I hear it has become the "asylum" for some of FN's older cooking shows no longer in production - Molto Mario, Emeril Live, Food Finds, Iron Chef (Japanese series) are all on Fine Living now.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll revamp my Digital Cable choices so I can get FIT tv, Investigation Discovery, DIY Network and Fine Living.

I just don't really know how much longer I'll be tuning into the FN with the poor programming choices.

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 11:25 AM

That's excellent news regarding the Fine Living channel and the old-school cooking shows--thanks. I'm glad Scripps is addressing this problem of trying to find an actual cooking instruction show. Nice to know Molto Mario is not extinct after all.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 11:32 AM

But on the plus side, they'll hopefully find a new and different way to screw up the end of TNFNS next season.

I don't know what else they could do, aside from casting a child molestor or having an accidental on screen decapitation.

Word.

TappyOca

TappyOca

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 11:57 AM

evilandproud
wrote:

I don't know what else they could do, aside from casting a child molestor or having an accidental on screen decapitation.

don't give them any ideas!

rebl rn

rebl rn

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 1:43 PM

No one is going to forget this travesty of a finale.

Making it, therefore, a stunning success! No bad publicity and all that.

My thoughts exactly! I have found myself wondering how much of a "mistake" it was that the winner was revealed.....

As to the alleged winner, I am meh. I may try watching the show, I don't know if there is any food I would want to try to make from it. But I could be surprised.

As to what they could do next year, I just realized something - last year during the show (the first season I watched) they were already advertising for applicants for this season's show - I haven't seen any ads like that this year. Could it be that they may NOT do this show again, at least for a while?

Edited by rebl rn, Jul 27, 2008 @ 1:45 PM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 3:03 PM

I wonder if Bobby had any input in the final decision. . .

New England Jen

New England Jen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 3:27 PM

As to what they could do next year, I just realized something - last year during the show (the first season I watched) they were already advertising for applicants for this season's show - I haven't seen any ads like that this year. Could it be that they may NOT do this show again, at least for a while?

On the FN page devoted to TNFNS, they had a small blurb about now accepting applicants for Season 5. I applied.

register

register

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 5:00 PM

You know, I deliberately didn't read any spoilers, but enough people made non-hidden comments here that make it obvious who the winner is, and that really kind of sucks.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Wasn't that for Top Chef? I pretty clearly remember F&W spoiling Ilan's win a few days early in a similar manner.

Yes, that was I was talking about, but apparently I left out the words Top Chef. Still, this makes my life easier since I'm now free to watch Mad Men.

Gitano

Gitano

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 6:07 PM

I remember seeing the blurb soliciting applicants for S5 on the FN website also. I remember because I thought, "Really? They're going to do this again?"

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

I wonder if Bobby had any input in the final decision. . .

I'd guess that Bobby went in one direction, and Suzie/Bob went in another, and perhaps they came up with a compromise candidate.

New England Jen

New England Jen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 27, 2008 @ 6:59 PM

I honestly believe that Bobby was only there to lend some credibility to Medusa and Tuschie. "Look! We have Bobby Flay, one of the few remaining CHEFS on our network! We have cooking cred!"

I also think Bobby was pushing for Aaron all season long based on what I've seen today in the TNFNS marathon today. Bobby couldn't stand Adam and I think he was lukewarm for Lisa all season long. He really seemed to push for Aaron a lot.