The Next Food Network Star

• Please log in to reply

19219 replies to this topic

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2005 @ 2:33 PM

Promos for this show have been running lately; it begins June 5. Marc Summers is the host. The official web page is still pretty skimpy, but eight finalists compete for viewer votes to become the next Food Network "star".

Food Network is searching for the next Food Network star! Starting in June, 2005, watch as 8 finalists compete for their own Food Network series. Tune in to meet the finalists, see how they are progressing, and watch as we challenge their culinary know-how. Who will be eliminated along the way? Watch as the 8 finalists are narrowed down to 2 - and then join other viewers as they decide who will be the next Food Network star! Plus, catch behind the scenes footage from various Food Network shows and see see how we produce our shows each and every day. You'll hear from our staff and top talent themselves about what it really takes to work with food on TV!

Here's some excerpts from a Fort Wayne newspaper article about the show:

Last fall producers at the network sifted through 10,000 audition tapes, the result of a nationwide talent search launched in October. It didn’t matter if you were a full-time homemaker from Wichita, Kan., or an apprentice at a Michelin 2-star restaurant in France, said Programming Senior Vice President Kathleen Finch; anyone could qualify as a contender.

“The process was unending … you’ve got many good cooks. That does not mean they have what it takes to host their own show,” Finch said. “It’s culinary skills, it’s ability to communicate, it’s enthusiasm for teaching others … that’s what we were looking for.”

During the 90-minute finale, which airs live at 8 p.m. Fort Wayne time June 26, viewers will get the chance to cast votes via foodnetwork.com or by text message to decide which of the two finalists they want to see host their own show on the Food Network. The winner receives a six-episode show that will premiere in September. “It’s more like ‘American Idol’ than ‘Survivor’ … we don’t have people living with each other … we’re not trying to get all the behind-the-scenes action,” Summers said.

This sounds like fun; I hope there's not too much drama a la "Wickedly Perfect" (the bickering has been highlighted on the promos I've seen, despite what Summers claims). I don't want to hate the person before they get their show. (Hello, just about everyone on WP.)

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2005 @ 6:59 PM

A SIX EPISODE show? That's it?!

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 7:32 PM

A SIX EPISODE show? That's it?!

The Food Network probably doesn't want to commit to someone for longer than that in case they turn out to be annoying, arrogant, or just clueless. I would think they could always extend it if the winner turns out to be a hit.

But you can never tell who viewers or judges will support, so it's probably best for a network to err on the side of caution. Again, I point to Wickedly Perfect, where many of the contestants were incompetent and/or annoying; quite frankly, I wouldn't have watched a show built around most of them (including the actual WP winner).

grrarghing

grrarghing

Just Tuned In

Posted May 20, 2005 @ 6:35 PM

I can't even tell you how excited I am for this show! One of the contestants, Brook Harlan was one of my Culinary Arts instructors. He's an absolutly fantastic guy...together with the other instrutor he's doing amazing things for our program. His enthusiasm for everything is contagious. He loves his students, his job, food, everything. He's actually started an aquaponics lab in the basement of the school, it's incredible.

Plus, he's very, very, easy on the eyes :)

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted May 21, 2005 @ 1:07 PM

I already want to slap that Michael character who is trying too hard to be Emeril pt. 2.

lmiller42

lmiller42

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2005 @ 1:15 PM

I had to go check out the link posted above (thanks Arabesque) after reading that one of them was "easy on the eyes" (thanks grrarghing), because I had never noticed anyone remotely appealing in the commercials. I hope that the ones I've noticed in the commercials leave early, because they seem annoying even in their little Q&A summaries. My early faves are any of the men, minus Michael. I've learned to admit when I'm wrong, so I'm prepared to apologize three weeks from now, when my snap judgements make me look like a jerk.

Phew!! Thanks to PlayItGeorge, who confirms my impression of Michael.

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 2:45 PM

Yeah, I just went over to read about the people, and I'm not crazy about any of the women, really. It's hard to tell on a little internet interview though. Commercial Michael is terrible, but on the site, he could either be what I described in my first post, or be the next Alton type. But overall, I too prefer any of the men over Michael and the ladies. I'm really looking forward to the premeire of this.

Mulva76

Mulva76

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2005 @ 3:23 PM

What the heck? I thought they just gave all the new shows to Rachael Ray. Guess there must be new management over there or something... :-)

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 4:25 AM

Does anyone recall FN doing a heavy solicitation for applicants? Reason I ask is I remember how their "contest" for the FN wedding reception seemed to play out. A little too central casting and not enough "chosen" from thousands of video tapes.

Sitting by the in-water tapas bar by the shallow end of the pool, it is all about Brook right now. Eric is probably second. I don't want two people so Dan and Steve are out. To me, that defeats the putpose of a cooking show. First, I usually like cooking by myself. Having someone do some prep work is fine, but usually everyone grabs a stool and has a glass of wine. Or if I am not in the mood, just stays the hell out. Second, having a second chef that already knows the steps can be a bit misleading as to ease etc. Besides after Michael, these two strike me as "we're chaaarracters!!!" Rachel Ray acting like the person who guide the airplane into the gate suddenly having some kind of fit each night is enough! Or getting up early and watching the old repeats of "Follow That Food" and endure Gordon Elliott's asinine affection for endless aliteration.

Michael is just too much... Michael. And 36? Apparently using the Sandra Lee chronological means to determine age.

Deborah seems very meh in her little interview. Harmony seems a "food dropper". She doesn't have a favorite dish that she prepares but then gives an entire menu. I am way too into just the surface right now, but she just looks like famewhore. And not just because of the blonde n' boobs. Not just I said. Soemthign about her seems like this is the first step in a career journey that hopefully will make her the third Mrs. Brad Pitt. Or Tom Cruise's next beard when touted Hollywood virgins to awkwardly kiss at calculated media events are no long du jour.

Susannah worries me. Easily the most appealing of the women in terms of her answers, but as an avowed singleton, the idea of a Katie Couric in the kitchen who talks about kids and spouse etc. etc. etc. could make me want to slit my wrists.

I went back to look at Brook a second time. So yeah. Its all about the shallow. He's nto afraid to unbutton that shirt is he? Maybe they can have a new show called the Shirtless Chef?

grrarghing

grrarghing

Just Tuned In

Posted May 25, 2005 @ 2:09 PM

...useless bit of Brook trivia...

When he first started teaching he taught Creative Cuisine (home-ec cooking, basically) for one semester. The next semester about 200 girls signed up for the class. When they found out Brook wouldn't be teaching the class, 150 of them dropped Creative Cuisine.

Heh.

4Sibes

4Sibes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2005 @ 10:52 PM

A week or so ago Brook Harlan was a guest on a local (Columbia, MO) radio show discussing this show. No scoops, however. I did learn about him that he's the son of former MO State Representative Tim Harlan, and that Brook and his dad often are chefs at local charitable fund raising events.

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted Jun 3, 2005 @ 9:49 AM

The two men who are competing together have just opened a restaurant here in Chicago. It's called HB, and it's in the Boystown neighborhood. The reviews I've seen have been good so far. It's pretty close to where I live so perhaps I will check it out soon.

Edited by PlayItGeorge, Jun 3, 2005 @ 9:55 AM.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2005 @ 10:16 AM

There are two hour-long episodes airing tomorrow night as the premiere. They air from 9-11 p.m. EST (the same time as "The 4400" premiere, drat!) and repeat from 1-3 a.m. EST.

notyomomma

notyomomma

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2005 @ 10:48 AM

I gagged when I read Harmony's blurb and she said she "even themed her clothing to her food" Honey, I get enough of that crap on Semi-Homemade. Not gonna get you far with me here. Ugh.

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 11:04 AM

Nooooooo!! I forgot to record this last night! :(. I'm sure FN will repeat it shamelessly though.

amnewsboy

amnewsboy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 11:19 AM

The Food Network probably doesn't want to commit to someone for longer than that in case they turn out to be annoying, arrogant, or just clueless.

But they already gave Sandra Lee a show.

(Sorry, that was too easy. No more SLoP from me. Promise.)

ETA: PlayItGeorge, let me know how it is. I might have to try it next time I'm in Chi.

Edited by amnewsboy, Jun 5, 2005 @ 11:21 AM.

pwrpffgrrl

pwrpffgrrl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 12:18 PM

I am looking forward to this show. On the official page, the only ones who stood out were Dan and Steve. I kind of was annoyed by other people's Q&As. The one older guy who mentioned God twice in the "Why I'd make the best Food Network star" question bugged especially. I'm sure he means well, but I also just want people to cook and not proseletyze. Or maybe this just means he'll have an underaged boy scandal a la Jeff Smith.

tiggeril

tiggeril

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 12:20 PM

Harmony and Michael are going to bug the shit out of me. I just know it.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 9:59 PM

Ohmigod. Brook is just so pretty. I mean pretty. The clips I saw did not do him justice. I'm so shallow. I don't care. If I want just serious cooking I watch Ina in her chunky ninja mode.

First hour was way too much fluff. I hate Gordon Elliott and his endless aliteration. I hate the fact that FN is going to inflict all their "celebrities" on us. Flay et al. Poor Mario having to "cook". Hate. I don't like that Mark Summers is the host and is throwing in his own silly aliterations and that "Unwrapped" schtick that makes me hit mute. Or the off button. But what I really hated is that the shot of Brook as wrestling coach, in tee and singlet? Gets cropped and shown from behind. Jeez. C'mon FN. You have some serious male eyecandy. Not that ass Bobby Flay that looks like some kind of character from the Dick Tracy comic strip. Not Tyler FLorence who seem too desperate and way too horndog for average looks. You have Brooke! Hot, buff wrestling coach Brooke! And you show up waist up from the back in wrestling uniform? This is the summer of unabashed beefcake. The summer of Strip Search. The summer of Kept. It was a tragedy and a mockery. A Mockedy. A tragery. Whatever. I wept.

Harmony is an idiot. She is so Sandra Lee but from scratch. Which is just no.

I am still not sure about the fairness of having one team consist of two people. And what the hell was it with giving them the commercial breakaway segment. One of the easiest and simpliest teleprompting tasks there is. And for two people? I know that there is less space etc. But still.

I don't like that they toss someone. My impression originally was that due to the small cast of contestants, it was all viewer voting. And I don't like the fact that we are really only seeing edited segments of the contestants whole run. This whole thing looks a bit too much like what a I feared. Basic casting disguised as a reality contest.

So are the FN kitchens going to provide recipes etc. for their new "star"? Because Deborah, Susannah and Eric realy don't have an experience or cooking repetoire to do a show, imo. They all seem nice. But how many regular joes can back up a television friendly personality along with a wide enough range and skill in cooking to do a show? And I think all three would ear thin just riding on their "personality" gimmck.

I kind of like Hans and the two guys. But Brook is pretty. Really really pretty. Even with a camera smashed against his face.

Deborah acting like a solar powered stepford wife during the trick cake icing segment was hilarious. It was like cooking with Disney's Hall of Presidents.

Poor pretty Brook. I felt some doom when he was so nervous. And then that slam about daring to mention salmonella. Since when are safety tips and cautionary advice a bad thing, Flay? No wonder you gave Sandra Lee a blurb. I know Brook's prettiness is distracting and makes me biased, but I don't think warnings about bacteria etc or the inappropriateness of licking your fingers while handling chicken not fully cooked is a turn-off. Maybe Brook could have worded it a bit better. But saying you shouldn't say such stuff? Flay thinks he is a stud. He hates Brook because Brook actually is one. That is my story and I'm sticking to it. Did I mention how pretty Brook is? I do agree about the "Cocktail" moves with the pepper grinder, it was a bit much but I also got the sense that Brook does it even when no one is looking. It is now a nervous habit that centers him. Kind of cheesy Zen. Back off Flay! Don't upset the pretty!

No surprise that Flay likes Harmony. He is such the Donald Trump of FN.

I thought Eric was incredibly dull with his Flay segment. It was a snooze. And so were the gay couple. Who weren't obnoxious for the most part, which was surprising.

I cannot believe that the selection committee sees anything in Michael other than ratings character for a reality show. There is no way I could watch five minutes of him on his own show. Let alone a half or full hour.

Way to show scenes for next week and spoil it for me. Going into the second hour I knew my reason for watching was being taken away . Every finalist shown in the Mario challenge but Brook. I now need to go eat some ice cream. Not sure I can bear watching the rest of the "competition". Way to ruin the show for me. Jerry Hall needs to look at him for the second season of Kept. Or I need to inherit some serious stash and hire him to cook for me.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:05 PM

This was one of the coolest reality shows I've watched in a long time. FN has a setup where you can chat, vote in polls, and play trivia about the show at the same time during the show! What a workout!

The challenges are great. I thought they would just be cooking, but they had to cook in-studio which added a twist. Then, they set it up where things would go wrong in the studio. The contestants had to frost a cake and for one the frosting was frozen, for another the frosting was like chocolate sauce, for another there was no knife or spreader, the teleprompter died on someone, the lights went out on one contestant, etc. etc. It was an awesome twist and made the concept very good because these are things that can go wrong in a real cooking show.

They had to make a Bobby Flay recipe in front of him & then he critiqued them. They had judges who were shown critiquing the contestants off camera during the cast's demonstrations. THat was another good idea.

Judges eliminate the finalists until the finale on June 25 then the sudience votes for the winner.

The cast is the most interesting reality cast I've seen in a while. My favorite contestant is a heavy-set African American guy from LA named Eric. THere is a guy named Mike from Venice, CA who is really funny. There is a guy named Hans and one named Brook who furnish good eye candy.

FOr the snark, there is a Swiss Miss type blonde named Harmony.

I learned a "new" type of cheese--Ko tah ha! Kemosabe!

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:06 PM

Good show. I'm rooting for Eric. I was so afraid he was going. Harmony annoys me too much. She reminds me of Mikalah from AI4. Susannah reminds me too much of Katie Couric.

Go Eric!

Aunt Nette

Aunt Nette

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

Cheesy as this show is, I can't believe they haven't come up with a tag line for when people are eliminated, the equivalent of "You're fired!" or "Auf weidersehn." Maybe "You're up in flames!" or "Check, please!"

I cannot stand Miss I Lost 89 Pounds. For some reason, I just want to smash her face into the chopping block. And Harmony, ick. I'll keep watching just in the hope that one of her fake boobs catches on fire, a la Mrs. Doubtfire.

gyc1

gyc1

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

What an absolute bore of a show. It seemed more like an infomercial for Food Network than anything else. I also thought this would be a public voting thing, and word on them spoiling who gets cut with their commercials. Sideshow Bob really bugs. He just seems like he tries way too hard to be wacky. I'm also not digging the gay couple. How many times did they remind us that they were gay? The healthy mother (forgot her name) looks just like Rachael Ray. I guess I'll be rooting for the fat black guy.

Edited by gyc1, Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:10 PM.

Ashforth

Ashforth

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:10 PM

I hate Harmony. Heh, Swiss Miss. Braids on adult women usually aren't good. Braids with giant chandelier earrings are worse.

The fat guy - small bursts of personality, then... desperate dead air - and he is so fat he's painful to look at. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.

Michael = hair in the food. And it looks likes pubic hair.

Goodbye, hot Brook. Too bad you talked so fast.

The rest? We'll see. At this point it is hard to imagine a whole show with any of them.

Edited by Ashforth, Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:12 PM.

lessa2010

lessa2010

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:15 PM

I like it. I wish we could do the voting for the whole series, but then again maybe they don't want to deal with American Idol type votings that leave them with someone they cannot work with.

My favorite is Hans. I don't really know why, I just like watching him.

Harmony bugs me, but Deborah, I thought I would like her, but I really can't stand her. The way she kept her eye on the camera and flashed a big Ms America grin whenever it stopped on her threw me off.

At this point no real strong feelings on the others.

Elphaba

Elphaba

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:17 PM

Because Deborah, Susannah and Eric realy don't have an experience or cooking repetoire to do a show, imo.

My local paper, the Boston Globe, ran a profile on Susannah and said she already has her own cooking show on local cable. I tried to find the article online, but the Boston Globe site is down at the moment. I find myself cheering her on simply for the hometown aspect, but wow, does she look like Rachael Ray. I like both of them, but it's distracting.

I get the feeling they're editing Harmony to be a comeback kid and I hope not. I can't watch her for two seconds.

Michael annoys me less than I thought. Eric annoys me more.

Deborah acting like a solar powered stepford wife during the trick cake icing segment was hilarious. It was like cooking with Disney's Hall of Presidents.

Bwah!

I find myself more interested in learning about how they make the shows than in the contestants. And I loved seeing a young Mario freeze and flub, and Emeril looking so young!

Wish they'd sent Bobby Flay home and kept Brook. I hated Flay less than usual, but that's still a lot.

PlayItGeorge

PlayItGeorge

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:20 PM

I don't like Harmony, but the rest, the verdict's still out on. I guess my early favorites are Hans, Dan and Steve (That's their names, right?), and Susannah. Michael didn't annoy as much as I thought he would, the rest are alright.

Liked how they used that egg idea from Cooking Under Fire, a far superior cooking show over on PBS.

And I agree that the most interesting part of the show is seeing how the shows are made. I didn't realize just how much went into each episode!

Edited by PlayItGeorge, Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:21 PM.

Arabesque

Arabesque

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:25 PM

First hour was way too much fluff.

No kidding. I was taping The 4400, but kept switching to it during the first 45 minutes of this because it was so slow. Still, I got to see most of the semifinalist videos; and the background stuff about the FN shows was cool.

How did Harmony make it in over the organic chef in her little group? I mean, I guess organic food is too specialized, but the organic chef "popped" on camera in an appealing way, much more than ditzy Harmony.

Speaking of, I cannot believe Brook, who seemed to have a lot of potential, got eliminated before Harmony or Deborah (who does have a lovely smile), who blew both of their auditions (IMO) I thought that was absolutely ludicrous. I guess the food network honchos figure they have the "hunk" slot filled with Bobby (heh) and Dave Lieberman, who is a cutie but... no fair to Brook. And no fair to Brook's arms.

Glad Hans and Eric are still in it- they seem like they have the most potential to me in terms of keeping my attention with their cooking (as did Brook, which is why I'm puzzled he's gone so soon). Even though Susannah looks way too much like a pre-glam Rachael Ray, she's different enough from Rachael (i.e. calmer) -and good enough (on the surface), at least- that I'd like to see what she can do.

Looking forward to next week, but count me in as also being disappointed that we don't get to vote until it's down to two. My snap prediction is that it will be Eric, Steve and Dan, and (gasp) Harmony at the end and the final two will come from there. Bleh. (Except Eric.)

Ashforth

Ashforth

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:35 PM

If that theory is correct, we'll have lots of time to learn to love Harmony's sound effect for adding the ingredients to the dish? "Wheeeeet!" with sort of a whistling sound as she slings the spice into the bowl. Maybe we'll get to see her poor overplucked eyebrows grow back in.

I agree that it was really interesting to see the Food Network behind-the-scenes action for the cooking shows.

Edited by Ashforth, Jun 5, 2005 @ 10:49 PM.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2005 @ 11:06 PM

Speaking of, I cannot believe Brook, who seemed to have a lot of potential, got eliminated before Harmony or Deborah (who does have a lovely smile), who blew both of their auditions (IMO) I thought that was absolutely ludicrous. I guess the food network honchos figure they have the "hunk" slot filled with Bobby (heh) and Dave Lieberman, who is a cutie but... no fair to Brook. And no fair to Brook's arms.

To be honest, when the first hour started basically with a cute (but no Brook) Dave Liebermann mentioning how he is the new FN star and who will be next? I did have a feeling that Brook would not go all the way unless he was a slam dunk from the start (meaning they wanted him from the audition and were just using a reality gimmick to introduce him to an audience). I mean the whole purpose of hiring Dave was his cute but not threateningly hot look, imo. I guess Brook is too "hot" for FN. Because nothing that we saw showed him as the worst by any means in any of the three different challenges. Let alone all three. My pick just going on delivery and stage presence in terms of failure would have been Eric -- he would make a great host of a food show. But not a cooking show. Give him $40 a day and see what a real eater can do with it. Or th gay couple. Their prompter challenge was a joke as it consisted of nothing. Their Flay challenge was flat and totally uncompelling; in many ways they each looked surprised when the other spoke. Like they had forgotten someone else was on set with them. And their recovery was alright with the snafu challenge, but there was a pause there that Brook, Deborah and Hans just kept going with. Eric's snafu challenge wasn't as bad, but he did not recover the actual product like Deobrah and Hans did. The teleprompter going off was telling. He did freeze and for him of all to do that? Combined with his horrific Flay challenge segment?

My real worry is that Harmony is being put forward as the black horse underdog. Granted I'm still reeling with Brook getting the heave so early. (I should have considered the airtime his promo spots got though and that was enough of a hint). But I can't help thinking that Harmony would be perfect if FN wants to get rid of SLop/Sandra Lee. Blonde, uses her boobs as co-stars and likes theme cooking. Check. Dim and self-centered. Check. Uses bump and grind manuevers and odd orally produced sound effects? Check. And she cooks from scratch. So FN might just be looking at her as a slight upgrade for ole puddin cups herself.

Which means that not only did I not get some of the best eyecandy this summer let alone this whole year? But my raison de snark could be replaced by simple vapidity in a d cup. I'm not sure which could be worse? Yes I can. I never even got to see Brook without his shirt on. Or at least it button down like he did for that video clip. Gordon Elliott I hate you even more. You were only one of three judges. But I blame you. And Flay. But I blame Flay for breathing.

I guess at this point I am rooting for Hans. He seems the most versatile and his frosting rescue was not just well done but asuming as well.

Deborah does nothing for me as a cook. All personality. Which is not bad. The only thing she has going for her with me right now, is I would like to see a show that is more meal centric and not entertaining/party centric. I am tired of all these chefs trying to live out their socal fantasies. But oneof the big things she has going against her is the same family gimmick. I don't want volvo station wagon, golden retriever, summers at Cape May cooking either. That is for the magazines at the check out line. But maybe she could do 30 Minute meals and we could see more than just burgers.

Two people is just too distracting all the time. So gay couple? How about we give them Inside Dish. Gays, gossip? Stereotype but one that usually works.

See the theme here? fire Rachel Ray adn give the three runners up their own shows. Hans wins the deal. And Brook gets rR magazine deal so every month he is on a cover.

*sigh* I'll get over it eventually. Well this thursday when Slavco and Ricardo pout their way back on screen, Devonric takes his shirt off again. And Sean humps the floor in his briefs. But until then?

Edited by heebiejeebie, Jun 5, 2005 @ 11:09 PM.