Strange Reasons To Like A Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

332 replies to this topic

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 7:21 AM

In the days before satellite dishes my Saturdays always involved watching PBS cooking shows, one right after the other. I absolutely hate to cook and I never tried even one recipe, but somehow watching people cooking on TV pushed my happy button at the time. There was the grilling guy, the Napa Valley guy, Jacques Pepin and his daughter, America's Test Kitchen (my all-time fave!), Lydia, Yan... now I can see all that on the Food Network but I never feel like it anymore. I've never been able to figure this out.

xii

xii

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 8:22 AM

I tend to get sucked into PBS's Hometime, with that gray-haired guy and his endless series of young female co-hosts.

It's surreal; they joke and bicker like a married couple, but you know in a year or so she'll be gone, replaced by a newer model, while he just keeps getting grayer and grayer.

Edited by xii, May 16, 2005 @ 8:22 AM.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 11:40 AM

In the days before satellite dishes my Saturdays always involved watching PBS cooking shows, one right after the other.

Oh, my God. That? Was me! And I'm not compelled to watch the food network now either. My favorite PBS cook was Mary Ann Esposito on Ciao Italia. This woman, like, refuses to use a spoon. I remember one episode she spent talking and talking about hog casings. It was inexplicably awesome.

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 1:01 PM

In the days before satellite dishes my Saturdays always involved watching PBS cooking shows, one right after the other.

This is me now! I don't get the Food Network, but on Saturdays I watch the grilling guy, Jacques Pepin, and America's Test Kitchen. And like you, espie, I never make the stuff, just enjoy watching.

On topic, I watch a lot of crappy shows (CSI: Miami, e.g.) just because they come on at 10:00 pm, which is when I want to watch TV.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 1:47 PM

Mrs. Macc and I enjoy House Hunters because we really don't get to use the words moron and jack-ass enough during the course of our normal day. Fortunately, the house-hunters/realtors give us the much needed opportunity at exactly the right time in the evening.

Melk

Melk

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 1:51 PM

"Most Extreme Elimination Challenge" is based on a Japanese game show that involves trying to storm a castle.

Would that be "Takeshi's Castle"? Because that show is awesome. Especially in Britain where there's an great running commentary from that guy who was on Red Dwarf.

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 2:17 PM

Infomercials really have a way to hypnotize my brain. It must be the combination of bad acting, cheesy sets, and increeeeedible offers that have a pull on me.

That's totally me. My parents actually made the rule that I wasn't allowed to watch informercials anymore after I spent a month and a half trying to convince them that we needed a food dehydrator. It's been 9 years since I watched that informercial and I still want one, even though I don't eat dehydrated food.

doctorwu

doctorwu

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 3:37 PM

I did the same thing. I'd start out watching on Saturday or Sunday around 12 p.m. and go until the network primetime shows came on at 8 p.m. In addition to the cooking shows, there was usually This Old House and that painting show with the late Bob Ross. Sometimes, Bob Ross would be replaced by this odd painting show with an old German guy in a smock who talked about being god while painting. Or, at least that's what I thought he was talking about.

I was actually in the habit of preparing dinner while watching the Frugal Gourmet. I never actually prepared anything featured on the show, I just cooked along with the show.

Smeg

Smeg

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 4:11 PM

My mom and I used to love watching the news in Tagalog on a San Francisco-based public station, because the woman anchor was very... boring, yet compelling. She spoke in a completely flat monotone in a language we didn't know, except for the few phrases in (completely unaccented) English thrown in every now and then.

I have the DVDs for Descendants of Darkness, but I still tune in every week on AZN Channel, because I feel it is the right thing to do to support the gayest cartoon on air. Even though the dub is god-awful.

Especially in Britain where there's an great running commentary from that guy who was on Red Dwarf.

Which Red Dwarf actor?

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 4:15 PM

My cousin and I are both Jewish and when we live in the same city we do our Yom Kippur fasts together. To make the experience more intense, she has cooking shows running on the television all day long....

jadefox

jadefox

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 4:25 PM

I lovelovelovelove Most Extreme Elimination Challenge!! I discovered it one night watching TV with my boyfriend while enjoying some, uh, herbal refreshment....yeah, well, anyway....that is some of the funniest shit ever. Especially when you're, um, not low.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 5:02 PM

I tend to get sucked into PBS's Hometime, with that gray-haired guy and his endless series of young female co-hosts.

I've seen them referred to as Dean and his Harem. That show sucks me in too. Joanne apparently wanted her own show, and still does bad decorating shows for some branch of the Discovery Channel, I'm not sure where Suzanne went, and I think Robin then stuck with the show to the end of the run. There was apparently another woman before JoJo, but I've never seen the season(s) she was on.

It scares me that I remember all of them.

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 5:16 PM

The Price is Right, Oprah, Meet The Press, Let's Make a Deal, and The Today Show, all rolled into one glorious show

oh. My. GOD. For years, I've been trying to find a way to explain Sabado Gigante to people. And now I have one!

My parents actually made the rule that I wasn't allowed to watch informercials anymore after I spent a month and a half trying to convince them that we needed a food dehydrator. It's been 9 years since I watched that informercial and I still want one, even though I don't eat dehydrated food.

Rockstar, you and my sister would get along famously - she (unbeknownst to my parents) called and got catalogs and free gifts from the Craftmatic bed and Contour chair/lounge people, and I think we somehow got a piece of the Civil War Chess set!

Edited by screamapiller, May 16, 2005 @ 5:18 PM.

Firefly fan

Firefly fan

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, nerdy computer-related activities, old-time and late-night radio (half-assed writing and crazy truckers=made of win), a disconcerting, ever-growing list of TV shows for someone who used to watch an average of two shows a year (what's with the networks suddenly keeping the quirky, high-concept stuff on the air? I don't have time for them to start pandering to me), and a deep-rooted life-long obsession with all things British. I blame my parents.

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 5:40 PM

that painting show with the late Bob Ross.

Bob Ross has this hypnotic quality about him. If I start watching for even a second, it's pretty much a guarantee that I won't stop. If he'd ever told me to overthrow my local government, I probably would have done it, so long as he painted a few "happy trees" as payment. He was just fabulous.

whirlygirly

whirlygirly

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 8:04 PM

Sometimes, Bob Ross would be replaced by this odd painting show with an old German guy in a smock who talked about being god while painting.

This guy? My high school art teacher was a big fan, and used his techniques in class. I think Bob Ross was actually a student of his. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying "happy trees" too!

Indigo Sun

Indigo Sun

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

There's this show on some Spanish channel where the audience is divided into halves: and one half wears green and the others wear yellow. They compete in crazy contests. I have no idea what the show is, because it's completely in Spanish, but whenever I see it I have to watch it for a while. I did notice that Maria Conchia Alonzo was on it once.

Poodle Hat

Poodle Hat

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 8:35 PM

Bob Ross is gone? Oh the humanity. I love him!

hypnotoad

hypnotoad

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 9:16 PM

Oh God, House Hunters is the most stilted and boring show ever. And yet, if I come across it while channel surfing, I will watch. Because it can't possibly be this boring, can it? Something interesting is going to happen, right? I'm convinced that if I change the channel, I'll miss the discovery of a raccoon colony in the master bedroom or shallow graves in the basement.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 9:43 PM

oh. My. GOD. For years, I've been trying to find a way to explain Sabado Gigante to people. And now I have one!

Aw, thanks, screamapiller! Usually people tend to give me the "Who farted?" look whenever I try and explain something. I'm glad it finally made sense to someone, but really, I think that's about the best way to describe Sabado Gigante.

Guin

Guin

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

Bob Ross has this hypnotic quality about him. If I start watching for even a second, it's pretty much a guarantee that I won't stop. If he'd ever told me to overthrow my local government, I probably would have done it, so long as he painted a few "happy trees" as payment. He was just fabulous.

Ohhh, I just love watching Bob Ross's show. I could give a rats ass about painting, but his voice is so relaxing. I turn it on and just lay down on the couch or the floor and zone. Honestly, he could be reading the phone book for all the attention I pay to the actual show.

On the other hand: I watch Semi Homemade with Sandra Lee just so I can make fun of her and point and laugh.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 10:35 PM

Sometimes, Bob Ross would be replaced by this odd painting show with an old German guy in a smock who talked about being god while painting.

Normally I don't say "omg", but...OMG! I remember that guy with his "happy clouds" and "just a touch of prrrussian crrrrimson." And I just couldn't look away...

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2005 @ 10:53 PM

Ohhh, I just love watching Bob Ross's show.

Just to know, there's a Happy Trees thread under "Educational and Non-Fiction Shows" where other people share their love of Bob Ross. ITA, he was so special. Love you and miss you, Bob.

gemini617

gemini617

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 12:38 AM

Especially in Britain where there's an great running commentary from that guy who was on Red Dwarf.

Which Red Dwarf actor?

Yes, we must know! I think it's Lister. I mean, Craig.
That sounds like something he would do. He hosts Robot Wars. I mean, Roba Twars.
He seems like a wacky guy.

I like Degrassi for the Canadian accents. Much like Brodie from Mallrats, I can't resist a good "aboot".

mightymos

mightymos

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 1:42 AM

I love this thread! I'm glad I'm not alone in the Sabado Gigante obsessesion. I don't speak any Spanish at all but my sister and I used to watch Sabado Gigante and Carousel. I was so into Carousel and those little kids. I had no clue what was going on but I had to watch every day to make sure that I wasn't going to suddenly understand what was going on. I still remember what I thought was the theme song, "Carousel bonita une carousel a nee..." Yeah. I don't know either.

I'll also watch ANY show if I saw the series premiere of it. I haven't been able to get into Veronica Mars or The O.C. or Queer Eye. I was in Scotland the summer QE and OC premiered, I came home and everyone was raving about them and telling me how much I'd love them. I tried watching and just couldn't, I wan't there for the beginning. Same with Veronica Mars on at the same time as my beloved Scrubs, which I saw the pilot of and have been hopelessly devoted to ever since.

Off Topic: Am I the only person who gets really upset if I miss the first run of a show I really like? I travel for work and have caught myself being abnormally disappointed if I have a gig somewhere and I won't be in the hotel in time to catch something I really like. I even told my agent that I'd prefer if he didn't book me on Tuesdays (back in the Must See Days it was Thursday). And taping it doesn't do anything for me. I feel like the whole world has seen it first run, I must as well! Or it's simply not worth it.

Oh, I am the only one? Good to know. Carry on.

watcha

watcha

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 1:47 AM

On Canadian satellite, there is a channel devoted to dance/electronic/techno music. I happened upon there once and there was an aerobics/exercise show (What happened to those? Eh, we're fat now.) where these smiley, smiley people in spandex teach you, the home viewer, the choreography of a pop song of yesteryear, like, say, Britney Spears' "Oops! I Did It Again." It is the most ridiculous thing I have seen on TV. I had to watch it.

Edited by watcha, May 17, 2005 @ 1:46 AM.

SoImpossible414

SoImpossible414

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 2:06 AM

This is more of a "strange reason to begin watching a show", but I only started watching Lost for the social aspect. I thought it sounded like a ridiculous premise for a show. I'd just gotten to college and didn't really have any friends, and some friendly people saw me eating alone and invited me over to come sit with them. Afterwards, they invited me back to their floor to watch Lost, and I wasn't one to turn down the social interaction. Now, of course, I'm hooked (and we watch it together every week).

Also, I watch "She Spies" just because it's on after SNL at my house. It's kind of an awful show, but I don't want to go to bed.

Gonigal

Gonigal

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 2:54 AM

Sandman87 I watch the local station's news broadcast just so I can make fun of them. Not only do they get a lot of the stories wrong, but the reporters also do not have a firm grasp of the english language. Comedy gold!  I watch the local station's news broadcast just so I can make fun of them. Not only do they get a lot of the stories wrong, but the reporters also do not have a firm grasp of the english language. Comedy gold!

What area of the country are you in? It sounds a lot like the local news here, but then I suspect that's an accurate description of the local news in a lot of areas of the U.S.

I was born & raised in Central Jersey, but our "local" news came out of New York City. Not a whole lot of slow news days in New York City. But for the past few years, I've been living in rural Virginia and I'm often quite amused at what the local TV stations insist on referring to as "news", seeing as there hasn't been a really big news day in these parts since 1865.

shortye  I have no idea what's going on with Twin Peaks b/c I only watch it sporadically when I channel surf at the right channel at the right time. But I'm fascinated by it's strangness and the fact that it doesn't make any sense to me. Yes, I know I'm weird. No need to stare. 

No stares here, it's pretty much the same deal for those of us who watch Sabado Gigante.

As another non-cooker, The cooking show that I always used to love to catch was a local show down here called "Cookin' Cheap". It was hosted by these two middle aged guys who were obviously gay (in itself a pretty unlikely feat given the area), but who simply couldn't cook *at all*. Each episode was kind of set up as a challenge where some viewer would send in a simple recipe and these guys would try to cook it without burning down the studio. Halfway through each episode they cut away for a "musical interlude" performed by an elderly woman at a piano.

I sometimes watch Antiques Roadshow mainly for two things: the first is when someone will have an old piece of furniture that's just covered with grime & buildup, you wouldn't want to have to touch it, let alone look at it in your home in its current state, and yet the appraiser guy says "whatever you do, Don't Clean It or Refinish It, you'll decrease the value by 90%." It never fails to amuse me how these furniture guys continue to believe that if a little aging adds character, then a massive amount of aging to the point where the item is a blackened eyesore that actually emits an unpleasant odor must be all that much better. The other thing I like on the show is when someone will bring in some bizarre unidentifiable object and the show turns into a game of What The Hell Is It?

One show that I *stopped* watching for a strange reason was Xena: Warrior Princess. I used to love everything about that show: the kinky, violent dominatrix vibe to Xena, the show's self-aware absurdity & irreverence, the ludicrously overt lesbian "subtext", the sheer awfulness of Joxor, Lucy Lawless' smoldering (if somewhat butch) sexuality, the way they could do 20 ridiculous comedic episodes in a row and then turn around and do a really dark, surreal, dramatic, serious episode that reminds me of a great existentialist art film (shut up), and have I mentioned the whole Hot Lesbian Dominatrix thing? And yet, as soon as Gabriel cut her hair short I stopped watching and never tuned in again. I think part of the reason might have actually been that her hairstyle just looked distractingly modern & anachronistic for Ancient Greece, because God knows if there's one that show would never tolerate up to then, it's historical inaccuracies.

Edited by Gonigal, May 17, 2005 @ 3:02 AM.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 8:29 AM

In high school, I used to watch the French-language nightly news from Quebec every night for awhile to just see the French-language commercials. For some reason, the Trix bunny speaking French was absolutely hilarious to me. Mind you, I speak no French, and do not live anywhere near Quebec.

FfrauleinN

FfrauleinN

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 8:37 AM

there was an aerobics/exercise show (What happened to those? Eh, we're fat now.) where these smiley, smiley people in spandex teach you, the home viewer, the choreography of a pop song of yesteryear, like, say, Britney Spears' "Oops! I Did It Again."

Okay, now I'm desperate to see this. Not because I want to work out or anything. It just sounds like it would be awesome to watch.

As another non-cooker, The cooking show that I always used to love to catch was a local show down here called "Cookin' Cheap".

My mother love love loved this show. She'd be laughing her head off like she was watching a sitcom.

Putli Bai

Putli Bai

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2005 @ 8:42 AM

Gonigal, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one hooked on Antiques Roadshow. Though I am disappointed that we don't see more people bringing in stuff they think is worth $100,000 and finding out it's only worth $10.99.

I was beginning to think I didn't have a show that fit this thread, but then I remembered my brief obsession with Acorn the Nature Nut. It started when I realized that watching the news before I went to work was a good way to start the day in a real pissy mood. So I switched to children's shows. I flirted with Teletubbies, Zooboomafoo, and Wishbone, until I got hooked on Acorn the Nature Nut. I'll admit I have a bit of a thing for nerds, and host John Acorn had this hypnotic, Mr. Rogers vibe that just sucked me in. When I moved, I was genuinely disappointed that my new cable service did not carry whatever channel let me start my day in peace.