4-37: 2005.05.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

335 replies to this topic

MsGail61

MsGail61

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 7:34 PM

I'm worried about Bo. What's the matter with Vonzelle?

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 7:58 PM

AI again acknowledges Paulagate in its roundabout way.

Wow. Those first four songs were boring, boring, boring. And the interviews with the parents were nothing but a scholckfest, although I do wish A-Fed's parents had spoken in Ukrainian.

Carrie's added a new facial expression to her reperetoir: Nadia's growl. I couldn't understand half of the words she was singing at the beginning. I think it was that very bottom of her register...but the judges loved it. Randy, the theme was country. It's not like Carrie went out of her way to pick something to her strengths.

Bo. Boring for him, but sung well. All of the judges hated it, so this must mean he'll be awesome on his second song.

Vozell. Not as bad as it could have been? What happened to her? Even Simon backed off. Someone may get Jasmine'd tomorrow.

A-Fed. Schlocky and boring. Interesting that Paula gave him the same advice as Bo.

Second songs:

Carrie. Well, we now know that Carrie. Has. No. Soul. At all. I agree with the judges here. That was terrible.

Bo. LAWD. That was awesome, and it's easily my favorite performance by him. It was definitely the most charismatic. The growling, the sunglasses (and he even peeked under them!), the dollar sign belt buckle, the 70s pimp suit...That was off the chain.

Vonzell. She had a strong comeback. It seemed like a lot of the emotion she had earlier was better channeled.

Anthony. That was better than Carrie, but he has no soul either. Interesting that they got to do the same song, and the judges called Carrie's out as being the worst version.

Leave the band alone, Simon.

Bo's grandma can go on with her bad self.

That is all.

Edited by the fresh maker, May 10, 2005 @ 8:02 PM.

johnny rotten

johnny rotten

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 7:59 PM

Well, John Stevens still hasn't hit puberty.

Having two of four sing the same song hardly speaks to the breadth of the Gamble and Huff catalog. Couldn't the girls have just wrestled over it backstage? Outsung by A-Fed Carrie should be eliminated for that alone.

Bo's got soul.

rachelmaybrown

rachelmaybrown

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:00 PM

This is gonna be pretty difficult to snark on…I don’t HATE! any of the remaining contestants. I’ll do the best I can, though.

Country

Carrie (Sin Wagon): Love the performance. LOVE. Little Carrie is finally beginning to show her personality a bit, and that’s a good thing.

Yay! Mikalah’s back! And Jasmine…uhm, not so much yay on her.

Bo (don’t remember the title of the song): Huh? If we were going by this performance alone, he may be in danger. Too bad, because I loves him. And his grandma? She will Kick. Your. Ass.

Vonzell (How Do I Live): (cries) Okay, call me a sop that wears my heart on my sleeve, but I was touched by her tears. And I was reminded why I love Ryan Seacrest. Awww. Even Simon recognized that she was emotional and eased up on what could have been a negative criticism. Performance? Too sad to even talk about. Especially given her emotional state. (Does anyone know what went on? Just my curious self...)

Anthony (Already There): His parents? (cries again) He could sing Sukiyaki off-key whilst wearing a kilt and knee-high plaid socks, and I would still power-vote for him because his parents are so adorable.

Gamble and Huff

Carrie (If You Don’t Know Me): Hmmm…not so much as good as Sin Wagon. That glory note? Owwwwww…my ears still ring. Still, she’s pretty much a lock for the F2, so I’m not too concerned. And Simon? Blaming the band? Hmmm…she’s not getting pimped. [/sarcasm]

Bo (For The Love of Money): Hah! The Apprentice meets Idol! It would Kick. All. Sorts. Of. Ass. if they showed The Donald in the audience afterwords. Oh, yes….much, MUCH better than his first performance. But please, unwear those sunglasses.

Vonzell (Don’t Leave Me This Way): Wow…Diana Degarmo returns (C’mon!) Wow…not bad. In fact, pretty good.

EEEEEEE!!! John Stevens! (ducks flying dollar-store sunglasses)

Whoa, is that Angela Peel in that (product-placed soft drink) commercial? She’s not bad. Especially compared to a lot of the Season One contestants.

Anthony (If You Don’t Know Me): Uh-oh. He’s performing the same song as Carrie. We all know how well that worked with Josh Gracin. Wow, I think he sounds better than Carrie! I bet TPTB are thinking, “That did not go as planned…” Oh, and Simon? Shut. Up. Anthony has more soul in his pinky than you have in twelve of you.

ETA that Ryan Seacrest can hold my hand or hug me anytime he wants.

Edited by rachelmaybrown, May 10, 2005 @ 8:11 PM.

uagirl

uagirl

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:01 PM

So my husband was flapping his jaw for the intro of the show, and he gets really annoyed when I blow him off for T.V. Yes it is a problem, but he just needs to realize that T.V. comes first. What is wrong with him?

Carrie on her first song. I thought Amy Adams did a much better job with this last year. I thought it was o.k., but maybe too slow? Not sure what it was. There are so many songs that haven’t been sung that she would have better on. It was o.k.

Oh boo hoo on her opening. I wonder if she will start coughing at the end because she got choked up again. I was still a little bored. How, maybe it is my illness, but I am just going to sleep tonight. I thought it sounded better than the judges. Blame the band Simon? You’re an ass.

Bo does Travis on his first song. Didn’t someone call that? I think they said it would be predictable if he did. Kind of bored with this song. He is still awesome, but I would have liked to see something with a little more zip. Whisky Girl? Chattahoochee? Did he lose a note or two there? Maybe I am just hearing things. Ah, the judges were bored too.

Take off those stupid glasses you fool. I think this choice of theme was a disaster. Bo sounds alright, but really, most of the song was him screaming. There is no real melody to this song. So this is opposite night, I thought Carrie was better than Bo.

Vonzell starts really shaky. You know she was sweating country. There were a ton of bum notes in the chorus. I really wanted the song to end so the pain would be over. I think she forgot some words too. Poor paybee V. That was her worse performance. Shame. I am sure she was glad to have that be over as well. Look at Paula getting her the sympathy votes. Those tears may have guaranteed her a top three spot. Let’s see if Anthony can cry some too.

Wow, Vonzell has a mom? This sounds horrible, but I thought her mom was dead because she only mentions her daddy. This is such a Vonzell song. She is so on for this one. The woo! was off key. How does THAT happen? I liked it. It was much better than the first song.

Afed is in the pimp spot. Hmmm. Interesting. First of all I love this song. My husband moderately tolerates my country phase, however he did steal all of my Lonestar and he hates Afed, but he even said it was o.k. I never thought of it as an Afed song, but it totally is. He could not have picked a better song, and he sounded the best I have ever heard him. I loved it. I might actually vote for him tonight. Simon is such an ass, you know he wants him gone tonight.

Really? They couldn’t come up with 4 different songs from these guys? Well that is lame. So it was o.k.

So the big question, who goes? Vonzell? Afed? or in a shocking Tamyra/LaToya twist, Bo or Carrie goes? Who knows? Who cares?

dcgal

dcgal

Video Archivist

Tonight, I will critique the band & the pimping & random other things.

Shocker - it's a country theme...I wonder who they want to win.
Real Shocker - Carrie & Bo are the first two. I definitely expected them to be 3rd & 4th. This confuses me & my grassy-knoll-residing self.

Carrie's Sin Wagon - AWESOME!!!! I mean the band was awesome. And she needed it because she didn't do the song justice like Amy Adams did. The only time she showed personality was when she wasn't singing.

Bo's Travis Tritt song - I enjoyed the violin a lot and wish prior seasons had received this orchestration. The violin was also the best part of the song. Someone should have told Bo you look stupid singing a ballad & walking around with the mic stand. He's wearing the same thing as Carrie - what's up with that.

Based on the judge's comments, Bo must be ahead of Carrie in the votes - she was just as boring, but got a total tongue-bath by the judges.

Ryan, sweetie, I don't think seeing those performances are going to inspire anyone to attend the tour this summer.

Vonzell's How Do I Live - She needed louder orchestration on some of those notes. The lighting really works for her & .... I take it all back because she started boboing.

I don't know what to make of the judges backing off of her & the crying. I tend to think something happened to a family member or friend, but who knows.

Anthony's I'm Already There - It is incredibly depressing that Anthony was the best of the first round because he's average singer and he wasn't even all that tonight. So I declare Voldie on Oprah the winner of Round 1.

Am I the only one who thinks the second theme was because the catalog was cheap and they needed to save money after what they paid for the 2000-2005 songs last week?

Carrie's If You Don't Know Me - Not impressed with the outfit, the song begged for a gorgeous dress. Damn, is she tanking tonight. I understand why she didn't deserve the last spot, but you would have thoguht they wanted to prop her up a little more. Simon blamed the band for her, but didn't give them credit for carrying her in the first song.

Bo's For the Love of Money - Hee, he wore a big dollar-sign belt buckle! Bad, he wore dark sunglasses & scared me when he peered over them. You'd think that Fox wouldn't have allowed that song given it's current association with another reality show.

Is tonight some AI reunion? There are so many in the audience.

Vonzell's Don't Leave Me This Way - I agree with Simon that it was better than the first song, but I don't know what Randy & Paula were smoking because it wasn't all that.

Anthony's Carrie Redux - Better than her, but it was still average. At least, he got some of the emotion. Simon is critiquing Anthony about soul, but not Carrie?

Overall, so disappointed in this Top 4. I better get a kick-ass group sing (of at least 4 minutes) to make up for this. This was just a big mess of boring.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:02 PM

Carrie- Sin Wagon: And this is why she's not on Nashville Star. I can only guess that it sounded totally different live, because on my tv, when the band wasn't drowning her out she was croaking, literally. Meanwhile, of all the songs in her 'gendre', she picks this? Carrie, singing about getting drunk and getting revenge, that's believable, now someone let me know when I get back to the real universe.
If You Don't Know Me By Now: Good song, bad choice for her. Two in one night that she doesn't really sing so much as she mumbles and occasionally throws in some melody. Lucky thing she had an atomic glory note to magically erase everyone's memories of all that lead up to them
...Did Simon say "blame the band" or did I mishear him? I've been waiting for someone to mention it (someone who's actually on the tv, that is), but of all the times, that wasn't it. The band has submarined her and the others much worse than that, even tonight.

Bo- It's A Great Day To Be Alive:This feels off, but I can't pin it down, it's too slow or something. Comparing it to the original, something was just missing. I'll get over it, though, since it's Bo and all
For the Love of Money: I'll skip the Trump joke, I figure there will be plenty. That was so much better, I can stop worrying now.

Vonzell- How Do I Live Without You: Country in the key of V. I hate when Randy says "it started rough" when it was rough through the whole thing. Wonder if she's going for the Scotty Daddy votes?
Don't Leave Me This Way: She looks about 12 in her interview. This is a song that seems like it's written for her, but she's still struggling. I kept waiting for her to turn blue and pass out.

Anthony- I'm Already There: Ok, I just don't like country night on AI. Now I know how Top40 and R&B people feel when they hear a bunch of songs they like get butchered right in a row. He looked like he was in pain, just like the people listening. Gooey works though!
If You Don't Know Me By Now: This sounds so familiar, as if I just heard it... oh wait. Even missing some of the words he did it better. I'm overthinking this though, with Simon throwing the band in the mix again, is he pushing Carrie or Anthony?

ambystone

ambystone

Stalker

This is my first post on the AI boards all season, but I just HAD to comment. Based on his ensemble, I really think Vonzell's "dad" is really a code name "pimp" and when she said she had a "bad day" what she really means is "she lost all the money she owes him and now her "dad" is coming after her with a shiv". And when her "dad" says "he loves her", he really means, "bitch, I'mma cut you!" Damn, Vonzell, I didn't even know it was like that.

I also have the urge to give Bo lots of money.

Tienci

Tienci

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:03 PM

So no one knows what's the deal with Vonzelle?
And dudes, I didn't know Flava Flav was her dad! My brother (who doesn't usually watch) snarkily said "maybe that's why she's crying."

Anyway, all of them bored me to death. As usual. I don't know why I keep hoping for better. I really don't care who wins this.

But Simon, you rock! Way to tell Potterov he has no soul! Maybe the dementors sucked it out! He made a great comparison as usual too with Shaft and...who was it? Eh, some soul-less guy. The one who married his stepdaughter I think.

And Paula actually said 'not so nice' things? Is she off the drugs now?

Edited to add: Carrie looked really pretty the second time around and, is it just me or has she lost some of her robotic tendencies? She actually seemed warm, and...sparkly. Alive.

Edited by Tienci, May 10, 2005 @ 8:18 PM.

Dama47

Dama47

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:04 PM

Farm-Bot
Country: *shrug* She might have the country background, but Amy did that song much better. At least Carrie got to sing the right lyric (i.e., mattress dancin'). I mean, it sounded fine, but Simon's on LSD if the thought she was at all animated.

Phili: Intro: Look! She's got a tear-jerk chip! Loved how she returned to F1 as soon as the sentence was finished. IYDKMBN. sigh. Apply, scrub, rinse, repeat. I love the song (Patti LaBelle did the best version live), but after Simply Red covered it, I was officially done with it. ...Nice, judges, pissing off the fans. She's through. Oh, and STFU, Ryan.

Overall: Her voice is fine, she's pretty and I'm sure she's sweet, but she bores the hell out of me.

Bodacious
Country: It was slow and not exciting, tue, but I loved his groove. Sounded great. I'm glad his beard's grown in finally. Last week, he looked rather skeevy. I love, love, love his smile and laugh. He's so real. Love him.

Phili: Intro is typically wonderful, down-to-earth Bo. sigh! Song: Frack yeah! FTLOM! He totally rocks it! Makes it his own and stays true to it, too. Look: OMG!OMG!OMG!!!! Black suit with chest?! Je-a-sus! That's the damn sexiest thing I've seen in a pitifully long time! thud! Gah! I am SO downloading that MP3 and video! Oh, and nice shades. ;-)

Overall: Returns with a passion and...gah! Hot, yummy, damn good.

The Vonz
Country: Ouch! That was off key. Not the right week to do that, honey. It's Tamyra/LaToya week.

Phili: Poor thing, coming after Bo. She sounds much, much better, and has a great song. Unfortunate run on the end, but forgivable. Gorgeous top.

Overall: Excellent comeback. 'Atta girl!

Aphid
Country: Gads, his parents are adorable! Song? Sounded great, but it didn't quite fit him. [/understatement]

Phili: Intro: Awwww. Song: Speaking of the ridiculously overplayed/covered song--oy! But he does it proud, punches out the every possible glory note and puts some new stuff in. Good mic control, too.

Overall: Aphid's last stand? It'd be a nice one.

Best: Bo, hands down.

Worst: Will it be a Tamyra week? Hmm! Well, if we must shock and awe, I say let's unload Farm-Bot!

Edited by Dama47, May 10, 2005 @ 8:16 PM.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:04 PM

I forgot to say that Bo's first song was probably more about the message than anything else. I'm not familiar with the song, but there was the line about "not drug-induced", just feeling all right.

Still boring though.

kattam6175

kattam6175

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:06 PM

Good God…Mikalah, John Stevens and Jasmine all on the same night. Are they trying to make me have nightmares?!?

Well, Randy and Simon were right about one thing tonight...the band ruined a lot of the performances. They were too loud (as usual) and some of the arrangements/tempos were just plain awful.

Vonzell sucked all kinds of ass on How Do I Live, but I’m blaming at least half of it on the band. Ditto for Carrie’s version of If You Don’t Know Me By Now and Bo’s version of that Travis Tritt song.

I think Bo’s Travis Tritt song might have been my least favorite performance of his to date. It was like he was going through the motions and sounded off the whole time.

On the other hand, For The Love Of Money was HOT! That boy has Soul with a capital S. I couldn’t understand half the words, but I still loved it. Plus, he flashed a little chest for all the ladies.

Don’t Leave Me This Way was HOT, too! I agree with whoever said that it was her best performance so far. She does a lot better when she’s seriously feeling “it” instead of being all cutesy, cutesy. It was almost as if she was working out her demons on that one.

I enjoyed Carrie’s version of Sin Wagon, too, but she definitely missed some notes here and there.

Does it make me a cradle robber if I say I think Anthony looked really cute tonight? As for his performances…well…meh. He has the annoying ability to make every song sound exactly the same.

Rankings, Top to Bottom
1. Bo’s 2nd song
2. Vonzell’s 2nd song
3. Carrie’s 1st song
4. Anthony’s 2nd song
5. Carrie’s 2nd song
6. Anthony’s 1st song
7. Bo’s 1st song
8. Vonzell’s 1st song

Edited by kattam6175, May 10, 2005 @ 8:17 PM.

lessa2010

lessa2010

Couch Potato

I think I love Bo's grandma. She looks so much like my Nanny before her accident. Watch out Simon, a southern grandma is nothing to trifle with.

I LOVE Dixie Chicks more then I should probably admit to so was excited to hear that Carrie would be singing Sin Wagon, though suprised they kept 'mattress dancing' in when I recall them changing those lyrics on a TV specail the DC's did a couple years back.

Anyway, it was no where near as good as the original. I still liked it which surprised me, but it was not all that Randy.

Agree Bo's first song choice was too safe. I heard Travis Tritt and hoped he'd do one of his bad boy country rock songs and he chose one of his ballads. ~sigh~

But song #2 was just awesome.

I do worry about him and Anthony though. Vonzell cried and that may be enough to keep her there even though she gave a pretty poor first performance. Her second was much better.

Anthony, kinda tuned out. Did he really sing the same thing as Carrie?

Hope Bo is safe, don't really care otherwise.

Adammo88

Adammo88

Fanatic

• Interests:Music (especially matchbox twenty, Maroon 5, Heather Headley, a few of the AI alums, and Mariah Carey - shut up), tennis, and ranting about television shows (duh)

*Dashing in to post pre-TAR finale crush* Overall? I thought this was the single worst night of performances since the finals began across the board.

Carrie should have never selected that first song imho; I actually think Amy Adams sang circles around her on "Sin Wagon." It may be my own musical tastes clouding my ears but I thought it was one of her worst performances to date and if she's going to bring the fwang (just because it is "Country", you do NOT have to change your accent, damn - shades of LCA) sound while singing, I'd rather her just stop. Apparently, I'm both deaf and ignorant because I enjoyed her second performance loads more than the first - yes she was a bit lethargic, but didn't deserve the drubbing she got from the terrible trio.

Bo should not be boring but he was on the Travis Tritt track and I unfortunately could not understand any of the lyrics sang during the first thirty seconds of the performance. Second performance: I'll be in a huge minority but I thought all he did was yell the song with energy - I never liked when Fantasia pulled the same thing and I don't like it now. Overall, for me, this was his worst week

Vonzell is so gone and she is my favorite and I will cry with her tomorrow night when she leaves even though I am a grown ass man. During "How Do I Live" (why Baby V, why?), I knew something was off instantly as I never feel nervous about her performances but it was palpable even through the television screen. I do think she tried valiantly to hold back the tears and was not trying the sympathy ploy. "Don't Leave Me This Way" was miles better even if predictable; her growly tone in parts worked very well and I think she really got into the desperation that song needs. I liked it alot but sadly (for me), I fear it won't be enough to save her. I still love my Baby V though and applaud her for getting it together for the second performance.

AFed gave the Ace of Base reading of Lonestar's "I'm Already There"; I really felt like this song was way too mature for him and he fell flat. I didn't hate it but I certainly didn't like it either. The second performance felt a bit like a lecture to me from the outfit to the stage mannerisms; it also felt INCREDIBLY short compared to Carrie's version (GOD, I hate it when they do that). Just whatever. He'll be fine - I guess I'm just bitter about V's inevitable fate, heh.

ravyn

ravyn

Video Archivist

Carrie: I love "Sin Wagon", and now you have ruined it for me forever. That was just ass. The rythms were off and you were flat more than once. I actually felt the second song was better, but still not very good. Your fans are also holding signs indirectly slamming Bo (She's a little bit country, he's a little bit rock and roll - country rules). Perhaps you should have the mothership call them back.

Bo: The first song was boring, but he sang it well. The second song was awesome awesome. You rock Bogart!

Vonzelle: How nice that Pauler garnered the sympathy vote for her this evening.

A-Fed: I got 4 votes in for him before the end of the show, and I did it just for showing up Carrie-Bot. Good job!

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

• Interests:Teen Wolf, Supernatural, things that are white evidently.

Before I begin, I would like to present this open letter to McDonalds.

Dear McDonalds,

Scott Savol is blacker than you. Please stop.

Sincerely StickyKeys

Whew, thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Now onto the show..

WHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! [/crazy audience member]

Carrie: I hate Carrie. I hate her guts, I do, and it’s sad because she’s so pretty and she sings so perfectly and it’s a shame that I don’t enjoy her, but I don’t.

I watched this movie called 200 American, and it was a pretty nice time. It was a movie about an Australian that decided to become a hustler to pay for his wedding (looonnnng story), and I got it because the guy on the box was hot and I wanted to see some campy gay action that night. Anyhow, the whole movie goes by, and there is no sex. Not one ounce. And while the movie had a decent story line, and hot guys, and some throw away gags, it was not what I signed up for. I was disappointed because I had already wasted 2 previous hours of my life on Blue Citrus Hearts, and that at least had a decent kissing scene.

I think my problem with Carrie is that you look at her and you expect something. You expect the sassy southern girl with the rock hard voice, but you get everything but the sassy. It’s very unfulfilling and leaves you wanting something that she just can’t give. And you can’t take her back to the store and trade her in, you just have to sit and take it.

That said, her 2nd performance sucked, and I really hope she goes home. I was expecting more from her pop side, but it’s like she has two voices, and she tried to use them both while singing that song.

Moving along…

WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/crazy audience member]

Bo: Bo-ring, sorry Bo-Ho’s, zzzzzzzzzz,
His 2nd song was great. I didn’t understand half the words, but he rocked it. He is so the winner this year.

I also have the urge to give Bo lots of money.

Double Word, that was my exact thought. Ha!

Anthony: His first song sounded like A Moment Like This. Actually, all of his songs sound like A Moment Like This. He gets a vote from me just for striking a pose, I don’t think I would mind him in a speedo, a little Birth moment if you will.

On his 2nd song, Anthony gave me the vapors. I’m mad that the catalogue wasn’t large enough to pick a different song, but I’m glad A-Fed sang it much much better.

Vonzell: What’s wrong Baby V? Does anyone know what happened to her? She is getting the sympathy vote tonight!

The second song she rocked. I was having a Nikko moment where she made me remember a song that I loved and never knew what it was. Where is her mom?

Ryan: Still doesn’t get the hands. One day, when I’m on American Idol, I’m going to grab his hand, interlock our fingers, and kiss it. I think that what he wants, for someone to kiss his hand.

Can’t wait to read y’alls thoughts!

Likes Poodles

Likes Poodles

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:08 PM

Popping in so I don't miss "House", but -

Bo and Vonzell were both AWESOME on their second songs. Amazing amounts of energy generated there. This was Bo's best performance since "Whipping Post" and Vonzell's best ever.

Carrie could well be bottom two this week. She really fell on her face on the second song.

maiana

maiana

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:07 PM

What was up with Simon refusing to say ANYTHING bad to Carrie? I mean, she was o.k. but seriously, not great.

ChocolateCherry

ChocolateCherry

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:08 PM

Every A-Phed song sounds the same to me. Like a Foreigner or Journey or some other 80's band that I vaguely remember.

MC SammyD

MC SammyD

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:11 PM

I hate Bo. I know that I will be deported or something for saying so, but I hate him and his dirty teeth. It's not even so much that he's boring and everything he sings sounds the same, but tonight I just wanted to smack him. Simon would critique and, before he could even finish, Bo would interrupt and be all "Thank you!" and smile like "I know I'm so much better than everyone, so let me just laugh off any kind of criticism I may get." Ugh. You've done this before, you're 50 years old, whatever. I get it! He just totally dismissed whatever Simon had to say. HATE!

I actually liked Carrie's "If You Don't Know Me By Now" more than Anthony's, but even if Simon didn't, it was pretty lame to blame that on the band and not have Carrie take any fault for it. I agree that Amy Adams did a better version of "Sin Wagon" last year.

I swear, I have already relistened to Vonzell's first song and I don't hear anything wrong with it. No bum notes, none of her usual pitchiness, not flat. I agree that it was a little slow, but aside from possible forgetting a couple words (which she covered pretty well) I thought it was a beautiful performance. I'm power voting all night.

Anthony is adorable, but I really hope he's gone tomorrow.

prettythings

prettythings

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:11 PM

Carrie - Weird clothing choices tonight. I think Bo bought her the first shirt, and the outfit on the second song was banal beyond measure, in addition to doing that bunchy waist thing that makes most women, including Carrie, who is definitely not, look dumpy. Songs? Yah, Sin Wagon much less hot than Amy Adams, although I must be going deaf, as I thought she rocked If You Don't Know Me.

Bo - I agree with Simon on this, as in so many things. The first one (no idea about country, so cannot recognise) was dullsville, but the second one -- ooh la la! There are going to be some hot and bothered twoppers tonight. Love the suit (channelling Constantine a smidgen here, no?) but Bo? No. Sunglasses. Indoors. Please.

Vonzell - I, too, wanna know what was up.

A-Fed produced this conversation:

me: what's that key around his neck?
mrprettythings: it's the key to his cheeseheart.

heh. I did not like his If You Don't Know Me. He was yelling at me, and waving his fingers. He looked like the really angry Revolutionary Communist Party guy you always see at protest rallies. I started to worry about his g.f. The love for him I spawned last week may be waning.

Fluffy Malone

Fluffy Malone

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:12 PM

I read that Vonzelle's 12-year-old dog was hit by a car and killed yesterday or this morning and the assumption is that this is what had her so upset tonight.

I don't know if she's going to get sympathy votes, but she was the only one worse than Carrie, so tomorrow is going to be very tough to call.

IAmGladys

IAmGladys

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:14 PM

Oh my.

Bo. Honeybabysweetheart. I'm a little skurred for you.

Let's review: Carrie had a theme handed to her, then got all weepy about how much she misses her sisters--and got skewerfied by Simon; Baby V lost her shit on stage; and Federov's showed that his parents are way more adorable than yours and then he sang one of the schmoopiest schmoops that ever schmooped.

You?

(Okay, besides rockin' the belt-buckle. And count me among the surprised that TPTB allowed that song, as well.)

I am afraid of "he's perfectly safe" syndrome here.

Queen B

Queen B

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:15 PM

Oy to the vey. Vonzell has got to go. What a hack.

I lurve my little fluffy marshmallow. He's like a baby farm animal. Hope he outlasts V, at least. Would love to see him squeak past Carrie, but that ain't happening.

And Bo. Mmm, love Bo.

vizman

vizman

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:16 PM

Anthony was the only one with TWO good performances. The other three had one good and one MEH. A-Fed may surprise us and hang on another week. I wish that they would have dug a little deeper in that vast catalog so we didn't have to hear a song repeated!

GreenBean227

GreenBean227

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:16 PM

I don't know if she's going to get sympathy votes, but she was the only one worse than Carrie, so tomorrow is going to be very tough to call.

It's gonna be tough. I don't THINK Bo's in danger, but I've heard of some people having problems where they hear that his line isn't connected. Plus, A-Fed is the new subject of Vote For The Worst's wrath, which supposedly has been getting lots and lots of media attention lately (and apparently the creator is an alumni of my college, someone we can be proud to add to our accomplished alumni list...)

splendor714

splendor714

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:17 PM

Maybe my ears were clogged because I couldn't stand anyone tonight. Good luck to Vonzell for singing one of the cursed songs ("Don't leave me this way", if you didn't know). I wonder if the stress is really getting to her, or it was one of those "Oh my god, I'm on stage doing what I love in front of millions of fans and my Daddy's right there," and the emotion just overwhelmed her onstage.

Bleh. TAR time.

cinnamonheart

cinnamonheart

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:17 PM

Oh man I want to vote the band off. The arrangements sucked IMO, especially for the country songs. I don't blame the band for Carrie's YDKMBK, because she just doesn't have what it takes to sing that kind of song. A-Fed's was great I thought.

Damn! Bo was all kinds of hot tonight. He could have chosen a much better Travis Tritt song, but he sang it well. I hate that freaking Money song, but wow I could have watched him sing it all night.

Bo has come a long way from grungy, stoner rock guy to a really polished marketable performer without losing his credibility. He stills comes across as a simple guy that just loves his music.

Vonzell I have grown so weary of. Too much the sameold, sameold. I'm over it. And this:

(Does anyone know what went on? Just my curious self...)

Leave it to this crap show to pull the sympathy vote lever. Paula just "happens" to ask how she is feeling and the tears flow. Way to go show.....forget the performance....let's all vote for V because she has had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

A-Fed is so pretty and lovely and jeanswearingwell. I thought both songs were very A-Fed and predictable, but I liked them. I still think he needs a few years and he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Because it can't be said enough....shut up Simon.

watchergirl

watchergirl

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:19 PM

Anthony deserves to stay tomorrow because he kicked Carrie's ass on the same song. If I hadn't loved him before, that would have been enough right there. That said, I think he was the best all around tonight, which again feels weird to say, but he worked it, and that was awesome. [Also, I can't ever imagine Anthony's awesome parents being upset about anything ever without me completely breaking down, so I'd also like him staying for that.]

Vonzell sucked all kinds of ass and so did Carrie, so if there is any justice one of them'll get the boot.

Oleladywho

Oleladywho

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2005 @ 8:19 PM

Oh, criminy....I hate tears, and that really bugged me that Paula led Vonzell into sharing hers with us. I mean, c'mon! I'm sure they are all getting rather emotional at this point. I fear those big tears will garner sympathy votes, and basically I don't feel her performance tonight warranted her staying any longer.

Overall, the only memorable song for me tonight was Bo's Money. Way cool. I really do enjoy looking at sweet Anthony, tho.....he looked fabulous on 2nd song. I suppose it's his turn to go, but dang I will miss him.

I so started this season thinking this was a great group, better than all the other years. I'm not standing by that feeling at this point as it's been really meh lately. I hate to say this, but it really IS about the song choice, isn't it? And those have been sadly uninspiring of late!