The Screen Savers Is Gone, Get Over It: Attack of the Show

• Please log in to reply

2736 replies to this topic

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Why don't I find it surprising Candace dated a lot of closted gays?

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I lol'd at Kevin's cameo at the end of yesterday's episode. Well played, Show. I'm guessing he was there shooting some farewell stuff.

Also, based on Matt Mira's comments in this podcast the last live show will be 12/21 - makes sense since most of the following two weeks would likely be Cops/Ninja Warrior marathons anyway due to the holidays.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

I'm loving the fact that John Barrowman is unapologetically gay when hosting this show to annoy the regular demographic.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I've loved the appearances by Kevin and Chris these past two days. I hope that wasn't the last time they'll be in studio. Matt drawing penises on the telestrator was the hardest I've laughed watching this show in a very long time.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

John Barrowman's parents are an absolute riot! I see where he gets his personality from now. I would love to sit at their table during the Holidays.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

That Gagdet Pron with Hardwick was the most entertaining segment collapse ever. I expect more of this come December.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Olivia talked a little bit about AOTS ending. The G4 boards are angry with her because of the comment, but she didn't lie.

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

And here's some more discussion between Sara, Candace and Kevin about the more straight-laced direction they've been working under the past year.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 6, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

And here's some more discussion between Sara, Candace and Kevin about the more straight-laced direction they've been working under the past year.

Kinda depressing to hear how the behind-the-scenes stuff is at the end. And I feel personally acquainted with Sara Underwood's vagina.

I knew the mood would be somber when reality hit about the cancellation...kinda sucks that the brass was apparently trying to turn Candace and Sara against each other and marginalizing Candace's role. You're cancelling both shows, don't be power-tripping dicks.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 2:31 AM

Olivia talked a little bit about AOTS ending. The G4 boards are angry with her because of the comment, but she didn't lie.

While I think she's right the show changed and, in my opinion, started to go down hill after she left, I don't think it was entirely because she was this totally awesome and irreplaceable co-host. I've said it before, I think Candace does a good job on the show and worked well with Kevin, but I also think there were people like Alison, Chobot, and others that I can't think of off the top of my head, that would have done a great job had they been given the co-host position. I think that some of the other factors including most importantly Kevin leaving and Comcast buying NBC, but also the smaller set and a reduced budget played much bigger parts in the shows cancellation than Munn leaving.

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

This was great. I would watch a podcast with the 3 of them having fun like that. And I am one of the people who thought this past year of AOTS was pretty lackluster.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 8, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

G4 will become the Esquire Channel. Or maybe not officially named that, as Nikki Finke reports. The weird thing? THR reports that they'll still do gaming related stuff, so I suppose despite firing everybody, they'll invite them back to do E3/CES/ComicCon coverage, I guess.

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

So I guess the travelogue segments with Weston Scott and the format of this year's Holiday Buyers' Guide were...proofs of concept? shades of things to come?

On paper, I suppose I can see what they're shooting for: a network targeting guys who aren't into the broheim style of Spike but still want something...masculine (For lack of a better term.) Guys who want to dress like Don Draper (Mad Men) or Michael Weston (Burn Notice) and be a traveller/foodie/cook like Tony Bourdain (No Reservations). And while the new channel will definitely need tech, pop culture and gaming coverage to stay relevant; editorially and stylistically, it would have to be very/completely different from what made X-Play and AOTS such good shows for the proverbial nerd/geek demographic.

And for the new network, a freebie: leverage the 'Me In My Place' partnership and make an interview/chat/BTS photo shoot show.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

Matt Mira talked about it in this The Indoor Kids podcast from November. Mira explained that since ratings are pretty low, TPTB can just aim towards a high-style demographic for the Bro-vo channel, get high-end advertisers and sit back and watch it print money ala the Golf Channel. Smarter solution than anything Hirschorn and Tiles came up with, I'll admit.

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

And now, a scene from the last AOTS skit.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Okay, apparently that show was indeed, the final live show. They won't even let them to Thursday? Ugh.

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Okay, apparently that show was indeed, the final live show.

And it was oddly anti-climactic. It felt like they should've made a bigger deal about it, you know?

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Dec 20, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

Knowing the new network brass, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't tell them until that day that it was the final show.

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

And apparently they shot/finished shooting the series finale today.

And it was oddly anti-climactic. It felt like they should've made a bigger deal about it, you know?

Indeed. They pretty much ran it right to the end like just another ep (Last interview is Janina Gavankar? Last gadget reviewed is a movie tie-in smartphone?) and - at least in the parts I saw and at the end - didn't even squeeze in a plug for the "series" finale in January. I'm really hoping that with all of the other stuff they're apparently doing for the finale they give Candace, Sara & Matt - hell, even Chris - enough time to say their goodbyes properly.

And this makes me think that TPTB are letting everybody go - no survivors - with maybe a; "feel free to re-apply for your previous position once we figure out the new network".

BTDnyce

BTDnyce

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 22, 2012 @ 3:38 AM

I hope the show itself gets as good a send-off as it gave to Kevin P. Once he left there was a definite loss of momentum that none of the rotating guest hosts could revive, no matter who they cohosted with- though John Barrowman with Candace were almost there. But then the show got canceled.

AOTS and X-play were the main reasons I continued to watch G4TV after they removed most of the TechTv shows (Ok, I admit I watch the occasional Cheaters). The Marvel anime shows also kept me tuned in, but I don't think I'll be sticking around for this next new turn for the network. Still, I am looking forward to seeing what craziness that last episode will bring.

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

Matt talks about the final days of AOTS here (start around 9:30).

Anyone going to watch the clip shows which start tonight? Or just tuning back in for the final ep on 1/23?

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

It makes me upset that X-Play doesn't get that luxury of having a "Best Of" countdown, but I suppose with the Classic X-Plays running, it may be redundant. Still, it's been around longer. I suppose since AOTS is the flagship show, it gets the sendoff.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

Blair Butler and Matt Mira's postmortem on G4 on the Indoor Kids podcast. I'm glad to hear that it was fun to work there with the freedom, but the workload sounds insane and if I worked there, I probably would've had a nervous breakdown. Also not surprised they were short staffed throughout the years, I think maybe if they actually spared some expense in hiring more writers/staff, than the network probably would've gone to new heights. Also glad that at least with G4, you can somewhat credit the network for spearheading the geek mainstream stuff.

And I'm still sure the G4/DirecTV thing is mainly due to whatever pissing contest NBCU has with DirecTV instead of G4's schedule. I do DirecTV customer service, and I can tell you that other NBCU networks (Cloo, Chiller, Style, PBS Kids Sprout) have moved to a higher channel tier (and for the longest time, I think Syfy wasn't on the lowest channel package, and Oxygen, a popular channel, still isn't) and they pounded into our heads "NBCU wants YOU (the viewer at home) to pay more for these channels!", so don't feel that guilty whatever former G4 staffer that may be reading this.

And again, when the hell is this Esquire Network supposed to launch?

Edited by MegaJ, Jan 21, 2013 @ 7:35 PM.

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

Thanks for the link, MegaJ. That was some great BTS stuff. I've always been impressed with just how much they managed to do on AOTS and X-Play with comparatively few resources. I was also sorry to hear just how much they got creatively handcuffed by higher-ups over this last period - seems like it might've been a year or more? Regardless, both shows did clearly lose something by not being allowed to let their freak flags fly as freely as they would've liked.

So I guess tomorrow is Requiem Day. Sad (especially after hearing LadyBlair wax nostalgic about some of the early X-Play skits). I truly hope everyone involved in these shows finds great places to be awesome soon. I know Wade Beckett is starting at ESPN and Blain from X-Play is doing PR for Xbox - anyone else have any alumni updates?

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 12:11 AM

And we have our first Esquire Network show:

What else do you have going on in your career?
CJ: I have a pop-up on Feb. 14-17 called This Is Not a Pop-Up at Square One. I am the executive chef of a restaurant in Studio City called Girasol and that should be opening in late February-early March. I just did a TV show called Knife Fight. It's an hourlong battle, three ingredients, make two dishes. You can use whatever you want and do whatever you want. So I just filmed that yesterday. It'll be on this new network called The Esquire Network, but right now it's G4.

Thanks Esquire, but I'll pass on your network until around E3/Comic-Con (of course, I'm assuming there'll still be coverage, but it's traditionally the highest rated period so...). I can already see the Top Chef/White Collar/Burn Notice repeats from here...

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

anyone else have any alumni updates?

Kristen Adams is one of the hosts of Real Music Live.

ETA: Well that was pretty good. Maybe it's because my interest in the show has been dropping for some time while I still enjoyed X-Play, but I felt X-Play had a better finale. I wish some of the past co-hosts would have been on, I only saw Hardwick in the crowd at the end with a little man on man action. Well, at least I don't have to listen to that annoying twit Underwood anymore. Time to delete some season passes.

Edited by CChambers, Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:10 PM.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

Wow, talk about a full circle ending. I'm glad to see they did pay homage to the show AOTS was sprouted from.

This bummed me out more than I thought it would. Don't get me wrong, I like Matt, Candace, and Sara but seeing them there just kinda reminds me of the later period where the brass wasn't letting them be zany and crazy (not to mention no Kevin or Olivia). And that's what I'm going to miss the most from AOTS. Not only was it a pop culture smorgasbord, but I can't think of any other show that came up with some of the most stupidest and craziest and straight-up idiotic stunts and things. I never laughed more than I did watching AOTS.

And now it's over. And I guess I can say goodbye to all your forum-goers as well...since there's no show...I guess the thread will eventually fall to the bottom of the Pop Culture boards outside of the random updates. Thanks for all the laughs, snarks, little insights in your lives. To any AOTS staffers lurking, thanks for the memories and I really do appreciate all the work you put into the show and hope all of you move on to better things.

Now to get to X-Play's finale that's sitting on the DVR...

Edited by MegaJ, Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:19 PM.

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

A great final episode. "We Never Got to Dance" cast and crew sing-a-long - perfect.

talk about a full circle ending. I'm glad to see they did pay homage to the show AOTS was sprouted from.

I had this spoiled! Leo and Patrick talked about it on this episode of TWiT. I wasn't sure whether G4 brass was actually going to let that go through or not, though.

I wish some of the past co-hosts would have been on

The lack of former co-hosts surprised me as well.

Thanks for everything, AOTS. And thanks to everyone who's posted here over the years.

Edited by latenitepilgrim, Jan 24, 2013 @ 9:10 AM.

Villlano

Villlano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:15 PM

Hey, everyone. I haven't posted here before because I have Direct TV, so I haven't been able to watch the show in a long, long while. Even though we could see the end coming for some time, it's still sad to see the network finally give up its ghost. Although, as a holdover from the TechTV days, the Leo and Patrick cameo warmed my heart a little.

And I wanted to thank MegaJ for that interview link. It was a great listen. I have to admit that I'll especially miss Blair. She was my favorite geek girl. Hopefully, everyone who worked at the network lands on their feet (after everything they put up with, they deserve it).

Anyway, with G4 shutting its doors, I've been surfing the web in a fit of nostalgia, watching old clips from the network. There is one skit I loved, but I can't find. It was a Star Wars sketch. I'm pretty sure it aired on AOTS. Olivia was Princess Leia, Han Solo was either played by Zach Selwyn or Brendan Moran, and I think Wil O'Neal was Lando. He complained that he didn't get to play Mace Windu and that everyone else got a lightsaber (literally everyone else...even Blair had one and she was dressed as a stormtrooper). I think they even reaired it dubbed in Japanese for some reason.

Anyone else remember that skit? Has anyone seen it online. I'd love to watch it again.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

Apparently, this was the last week AOTS repeats will air on the network. Next week, Quantum Leap is airing in the slot. If you missed the AOTS finale, it will air tomorrow at 1PM and 7PM Eastern.

Quantum Leap? I don't think the new network brass is quite ready yet to start reprogramming/rebranding.