The Screen Savers Is Gone, Get Over It: Attack of the Show

• Please log in to reply

2736 replies to this topic

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

And I'd also like to register my overall jealousy of the photog behind 'Me in My Place' for having one of the best jobs ever.

Right? Lucky sod.

Oh and according the schedule, there's not going to be a 420 special this year.

I'm not surprised by this. I think they've pretty much exhausted all they can do on this.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

And congratulations to Sara for successfully stuffing the ballot box for the Esquire Hottest Woman of the Year (Link is risque for work) award.

It's amazing how easy it is to win something when you are one of the few that seem to care or even be aware that they are in a contest.

I'm not surprised by this. I think they've pretty much exhausted all they can do on this.

I feel the same way. Never thought that much episodes to begin with.

M N Drew

M N Drew

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

I was appalled that they did the entire interview with Richard Hammond without mentioning his prior tenure on G4 re: the old "Brainiac" rebroadcasts from a few years back. I would have loved to have heard his take on that show from the point of his current prime-time power player position.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

And really, considering the intended audience, couldn't you just rerun last year's show and they wouldn't notice?

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

And here's Team Nerdist vs. Team G4 in All-Star Celebrity Bowling.

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

Just watched Thursday's episode and I'm not going to lie: I kinda (read: TOTALLY) want to see Zellwood now.

If they do launch a Kickstarter to buy the rights, I will absolutely throw in some money.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

K-Per's viral-ish video show got picked up by Syfy. So with that show headed to Syfy and Web Soup canceled, I guess we can cross off viral videos as a major focus of the network. I guess Around The Net's days are numbered?

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Given yesterday had Sara and Jessica half dressed sticking their butts in the air, i think it's safe to say May Sweeps started.

also is that the first time Kevin's actually acknowledged he has a GF on air?

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

also is that the first time Kevin's actually acknowledged he has a GF on air?

I believe he's made some off hand comments previously.

So over the past week Kevin has posted some very cryptic tweets:
On May 3rd

'Just wrote the most difficult email of my life. I'm physically and mentally drained. To quote @Horse_ebooks, "JUICY, DELICIOUS TOMATOES"'

and today

Tuesday morning should prove interesting. Keep your eyes and ears open. I'll explain further, and see you all on the other side.

This has some speculating that he is about to announce he's leaving the show. Thoughts?

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

This has some speculating that he is about to announce he's leaving the show. Thoughts?

Probably better than fair odds.

Those are some big shoes to fill. I'm guessing they're going to have to pull from the outside as G4 doesn't have the deepest bench of on-air talent at this point... Obviously Hardwick is out. Man!Blair is likely moving up on X-Play. Matt Mira as new perma-host? He's funny/nerdy enough.

Anyway, best of luck to Kevin. *pours some out*

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

That's some power vaccum Sessler left. It's nice he's staying until E3, that gives them enough time to find and train someone else, but I don't know if they can do the show with Periera. It already suffered when Munn left, but with Kevin there things were still watchable...

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

That's some power vaccum Sessler left.

It's interesting this is coming so close to Sessler walking out. I'm wondering if maybe all the on-air talent are re-negotiating. Perhaps all their contracts expire 5/31 or 6/30?

I don't know if they can do the show with Periera.

They can, but it'll be rough going for a while. Kevin definitely held things together on-air, and finding someone with his nerd cred, ease on camera, and quick-thinking sense of humor is going to be damn hard. Maybe they'll poach from another game/movie site (IGN, etc.)? The only person who springs readily to mind is Jeff Cannata from Totally Rad Show.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

This is starting to feel remarkably like people making for the lifeboats.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

Gaming is kind of dying off anyways.

They need to emphasize mobile more.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

This is starting to feel remarkably like people making for the lifeboats.

Kevin did say there's a new direction coming...Despite what he said in his letter, I don't think AOTS and X-Play are going to be here for the long run. I just wonder what possible direction the network can go in for the 57th time.

Oh, and I found this on the G4 fourms about Hardwick's departure:

RELATED SIDENOTE–> I had the extreme pleasure of working for G4 for four years. It was an amazing group of people both in front of and behind the camera. If you asked anyone there I think they would agree that the only drawback was after shows like Attack of the Show, X Play and a couple others, the network simply didn’t have the monetary resources to make all of the shows it wanted to. “How would I have programmed G4?” was the first question I asked when presented with this YouTube opportunity. I sincerely hope you like the results.

God, isn't Kabletown/NBCU one of the biggest monopolies with plenty of dough and they can't kick back some to G4? Shit.

Edited by MegaJ, May 8, 2012 @ 9:38 PM.

M N Drew

M N Drew

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:36 AM

I sense a stirring in the dark side; this might just be the opening KP's declaired chief rival has been waiting for all these years. Will the new co-host of AOTS be, none other than...Evil Wil Wheaton!!!???

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

So - ideas for a proper send-off? I think they need to "retire the jersey" so to speak and bronze the Dude Manrod glasses and mustache.

Edit: AOTS alumni news:

The All Access Live specials, which will see Levi, David Coleman and Alison Haislip contribute segments to the network's planned 17 hours of multiplatform coverage for the three special events.

Edited by latenitepilgrim, May 24, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

The All Access Live specials, which will see Levi, David Coleman and Alison Haislip contribute segments to the network's planned 17 hours of multiplatform coverage for the three special events.

Spike actually has the live exclusive of the Microsoft and EA press event. Their coverage may end up being better than g4's, and it'll be great to see Alison.

Well today begins Kevin's last week as host. Apparently there will be messages from most of the previous co hosts, including Olivia surprisingly. Hopefully some of those will be in studio, but I'm not counting on it. I wonder if they will announce the new host on Thursday, or will go to revolving people like when Munn left.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Catching up on clips before I catch the repeat tonight at 2am.

Did not expect Hirschorn to lay out the whole G4/TechTV stuff. In retrospect, I think they should've just given up all pretense of any type of merger, call the network G4 from the beginning and just fire all the TechTV employees and keep the ones they wanted/liked. Better to rip the bandage off.

CChambers

CChambers

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Well I thought that was a great tribute. It would have been nice to see some of the previous people in studio, but the video was well done. I know it was a joke, but I could have done without Olivia making her goodbye be about her. With that said, it was nice to see her again. I also thought the music video, and the final walk through were extremely well done. I don't know how the show is going to continue with out him.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

That was pretty somber. You can tell the hosts were trying to keep it together all throughout the show. I didn't mind Olivia's goodbye, it served as a official goodbye from her and she did praise Kevin.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I thought Olivia going back to the Brett Ratner thing was a bit in poor taste, given that Kevin said she hadn't spoken to him since that interview aired.

What she said did strike a chord with me though. Kevin's been hosting a live show for what 6-7 years? That takes skill. It's not like AotS is a safe live show like Live with Kelly where things are pretty regulated. Things can and often do go massively wrong.

It's gonna take a hell of a host to replace him.

M N Drew

M N Drew

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Interesting who contributed and who skipped. No Layla, no Kevin Rose, no what's his name, the original tech review guy. I personally liked Zach Selwyn's segment best, it seemed most honest.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Morgan and Man-Blair did press for the 100 Top Video Games special and Man-Blair's announced from "AOTS...."

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Ooops...

So will ManBlair be pulling the double for the foreseeable future or is Morgan getting a new co-host on the 'new-look' X-Play on Monday?

ManBlair makes sense though: you don't have to adjust the comedy that much - just dial down the pervy jokes since they've been pretty public about the Blobot, he's been pretty well groomed for hosting by the network, and I can't imagine him jumping ship any time soon.

latenitepilgrim

latenitepilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

or is Morgan getting a new co-host on the 'new-look' X-Play on Monday?

Please, by the old gods and the new, let it not be Joel Gourdin.

BTW - X-Play returns with new eps on 6/18, not this coming Monday.

Edit: Based on Candace's tease during today's E3 coverage they'll be having guest hosts/tryouts for at least a few weeks if not throughout the summer. So I guess our initial assumption of Man!Blair moving up to permanent host at X-Play was correct.

Edited by latenitepilgrim, Jun 6, 2012 @ 9:23 PM.

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

First up on the guest host merry-go-round: Chris Hardwick

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

Not liking Rude Try Hard Comedian Guy. This is going to be a long week.

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Not liking Rude Try Hard Comedian Guy. This is going to be a long week.

Thought the same thing, dude was trying too hard. He is popular on Twitter? Those tweets were as unfunny as they come. The Gadget Pron segment was kind of funny but the rest was really bad. His interview was not very good either, next!

M N Drew

M N Drew

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

Ok, enough of this crap, before the next round of try-outs lets have the return of Lady Blair and Tiny Morgan.