MSNBC

• Please log in to reply

5249 replies to this topic

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

MSNBC really needs to stay on top of their "Top Stories" crawl - it's still showing yesterday's "Two earthquakes in the SF Bay Area" headline. A day old, there was minimal damage, no major injuries... Please save the "Top Stories" for something actually happening TODAY. Recovery efforts in the tornado-afflicted states, for example.

Edited by InnerCanuck, Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:53 PM.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I don't want to be around folks who watch Fox all day, lol.

Me too. When I was in the Marines, I had a sgt who would make me listen to Rush Limbaugh every day, even though he knew I was very left-leaning (and probably because). Rush wasn't as well known then as he is now, but it was still hard to listen to. He admitted to me later that he did it because I was the only one who would talk politics with him, and even if we were arguing about it, he still loved it. Wish he could have gone about it a different way.

Edited by LADreamr, Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:53 PM.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

I worked for a large construction company that had Fox on all of its TV screens in the cafeteria, every day. Never MSNBC. I never mentioned it to anybody but it buggged the hell out of me. So about nine months later I found another job. My boss asked me why I was leaving and I gave her some polite bullshit--didn't want to burn the bridges--but I just didn't like the culture. I don't want to be around folks who watch Fox all day, lol.

I don't either, but I cannot afford to quit and I don't want to burn bridges either - I've worked for the CA State Dept. of Rehabilitation since 2008, just before the hiring freeze. Luckily for me, boss man is out of the office most of the day.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

This punchdrunk from sleep deprivation round table for Super Tuesday is sort of fun. A sick part of me misses Crazy Uncle Pat though. I've always enjoyed Al Sharpton but he's looking unwell, not just like he lost weight. Chuck Todd has taken up the scary hair mantle from Freeman, though.

I don't like how they aren't IDing people though. I don't watch as much as I do during the elections, so who are some of these chumps?

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

They've all been pretty annoying, haven't they?

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

The discussion about Joe the Plumber was pretty funny. It really doesn't deserve any more gravity than they gave it. I got the same idea about them at that point, that they were getting slap-happy.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

Rachel is such a politics geek she's in her element when they can sit and talk politics for hours on end. She's having a blast and the rest of them seem to be enjoying themselves. So much better than CNN which I flipped to a couple of times. There they're having a wake for the demise of the Republican party.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

Rachel's my girl crush. I love watching her enjoy this so much. She's doing a book tour next month, and I can't wait to meet her.

Lunaria

Lunaria

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Anytime I watch NOW with Alex Wagner and Karen Finney happens to be a guest, I think how much better Karen Finney would be as the host for a panel show like this. MSNBC should consider letting her guest host one of the dayside programs and give her a tryout in the role.

lulee

lulee

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

This punchdrunk from sleep deprivation round table for Super Tuesday is sort of fun.

Anyone else catch that exchange - I think it was in the 11E hour - maybe after midnight tho - where Schultz made a comment about a candidate (I want to say Marcy Kaptur, but I could totally be misremembering) and Matthews completely!disagreed!, and everyone was like "um, what?" and it turned out Matthews had misunderstood who Schultz was talking about. Matthews seemed way punchy, and then when they went to commercial they could be heard laughing about the misunderstanding.

Gregorio

Gregorio

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

I saw that. It was pretty cute. You could tell as they were fading out that Chris was really apologetic.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:38 AM

I saw the reactions to the misunderstanding, but totally missed the exchange that caused it. By the end, Chris looked so exhausted, though. I actually felt really bad for him.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

Anytime I watch NOW with Alex Wagner and Karen Finney happens to be a guest, I think how much better Karen Finney would be as the host for a panel show like this. MSNBC should consider letting her guest host one of the dayside programs and give her a tryout in the role.

This!!!! Dear God, yes!!!

eurp

eurp

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I love that Steve Schmidt is now a semi-regular on different shows, and that he was at the round table discussion Tuesday night.. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat but I think he's great as well as Tod Harris. Now if TPTB would only get rid of Michael Steele...

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

The more various MSNBC hosts promote Game Change, the less inclined I am to see it or get around to borrowing it from the library & reading it. Are they all getting a cut of the royalties or something?! They're all either reviewing it or interviewing writers/directors/book authors about it - "they're all" being, this week, Tweety, Lawrence, Martin, Dylan, and Ed, at least that I've seen...

Thank goodness I can watch Rachel without too much fear of a mention; I recall she has said she hated the book and she never has John Heilmann on.

Speaking of "missing" people - what happened between Rachel and Ana Marie Cox? She's on with Alex Wagner a lot, and have I seen her with on Chris Hayes too? But not on with Rachel for ages and ages... Things which make me say, "Hmmmm..." of a Friday evening.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I love that Steve Schmidt is now a semi-regular on different shows, and that he was at the round table discussion Tuesday night.. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat but I think he's great

Me, too! I like hearing his perspective because he seems like a sane, reasonable human not totally beholden to spouting off talking points.

The more various MSNBC hosts promote Game Change, the less inclined I am to see it or get around to borrowing it from the library & reading it. Are they all getting a cut of the royalties or something?!

I think they're hyping it like crazy because the book's writers are on MSNBC's payroll as well as Steve Schmidt who contributed heavily. You should really read the book -- it'll take a few hours of your time and it's quite dishy. (If you like that sort of thing.)

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

Me, too! I like hearing his perspective because he seems like a sane, reasonable human not totally beholden to spouting off talking points.

Except that he's the guy that's responsible for inflicting Sarah Palin on the world. According to the clips of the movie that I've seen anyway (haven't read the book). He was the one that vetted her and didn't think to ask her any questions about world affairs or policy so no one realized she was such an idiot.

diydude

diydude

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:51 AM

It wasn't Steve's normal function to vet VP candidates. IMHO, the real problem was that the campaign made a last minute, desperate move and neglected to allow sufficient time to allow appropriate vetting to occur. Granted, he ran the campaign but they had a short list of other, well-known candidates who had been appropriately vetted, IIRC. I have a hard time holding Steve responsible for failing to give SP a pop quiz about how many Korea's exist.

Ultimately, it was McCain's decision to make. As an experienced politician, you'd think he'd ask if the campaign's attorneys had completed their due diligence before bringing a new player to the national stage and someone completely unknown to him. Besides that, how about the small matter of a position a heartbeat away from possession of the infamous codes. And if he assumed his team had followed up on the vet - well, we can all break down that verb.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Everyone on MSNBC is gushing over Game Change. I'm not watching it, I hate everything and everyone in that movie (except thanks to MSNBC I do love Steve!)

shelly54

shelly54

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

@InnerReply - I've been wondering the same thing about Ana Marie Cox. She and Rachel always got on quite well. She's also on with Martin Bashir sometimes. Since Alex and Martin are in the afternoon maybe it's some kind of scheduling thing. She's working for a UK newspaper so maybe she has evening deadlines. Who knows? I like her, though.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Is it just me, or has there been an uptick in adverts for NBC-related networks across the programs on MSNBC? Mostly noticing Bravo ads, but also for upcoming premieres on USA Network, too. Or do I just watch too much of both MSNBC and Bravo?!

shelly54

shelly54

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Karen Finney is subbing for Martin Bashir today and doing a very good job. I've thought for a while she should be doing more.

Also read the sad news that Reverend Al's mother died at the age of 87.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I heard about Rev. Al's mother. So sad.

And I've always liked Karen Finney.

Lunaria

Lunaria

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

Chuck Todd was particularly insufferable this morning on The Daily Rundown. He got on his high-horse about the media coverage over the Romney campaign's Etch-a-Sketch gaffe yesterday. The faux outrage was especially hilarious coming from a guy who is a host of a political talk cable show where the majority of content is spin, spin, spin.

Equally insufferable is Chris Matthews. Yesterday he told one of his guests: "...here we make news; we don't nuance and we don't shade." Since when did Hardball become a "news" show?

Karen Finney did an excellent job guest-hosting Martin Bashir's show; great moderating. Alex Wagner should take some notes! Her words were especially poignant during the "Clear the Air" segment when she talked about a childhood experience of being in the car with her father after they had been stopped by police.

IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Watching Dylan Ratigan's show today, I had a very strong desire to see someone like Rachel Maddow or Chris Hayes sit him down for a long talk about how the Republicans and Democrats are actually different.

I used to admire the guy's passion, but these days he comes across as a zealot who sincerely won't budge even the slightest bit from his overplayed rhetoric that the political system is a failure, without any exception. Worse than that, he turns even a pop culture fluff segment into his diatribes. Worst of all, he interrupts guest as soon as they have something positive to say about Obama's policies because it doesn't fit his gloomy narrative that everything sucks.

He's a drag and I'd pay good money to see someone verbally slap him down a peg. His guests seem too afraid to do that.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

I turn the channel when Dylan comes on. Then I turn back when he's off. I can't stand listening to his rhetoric or looking at his face. He is unattractive, both inside and out.

LindsayKorner

LindsayKorner

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

how come Now with Alex Wagner doesn't have a TWOP board??? the weekend losers, Chris Hayes and Melissa-Harris Perry both have their own board...

she seems kind of smart but says some controversial things, maybe on purpose??? she's quite outspoken on gun control....

I like the fact that she usually has one person from the right like S E Cupp on the panel of four guests...

a couple weeks ago while ago while sitting between Ari Berman and Ari Melber she said one of those things you wish you could take back but it's too late:

Alex Wagner: "I feel like an Ari sandwich"...

both Ari's: rolling their eyes in disbelief...

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Did any of the prime time hosts discuss Occupy on the May 1 shows?

Bony Prominence

Bony Prominence

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Boy, Tamron Hall just tore a Romney rep three new assholes for agreeing to come on the show to talk about the Romney, Teen Bully, story and then refusing to talk about it, insulting her in the process. I was listening on Sirius and didn't see this, but I hope a clip comes out. What a take-down!

StJoeShark

StJoeShark

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

The takedown