MSNBC

• Please log in to reply

5257 replies to this topic

SuperNoxic

SuperNoxic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 5, 2006 @ 10:06 AM

Ouch. Readers at both TVNewser and Inside Cable News are up in arms over MSNBC's lack of North Korea missile coverage. It is very embarrassing and I don't think that this bodes well for the Abrams regime.

Barrett0033

Barrett0033

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2006 @ 1:21 PM

I was pretty annoyed myself. I was hoping they would have something because CNN kept repeating themselves and conservative though I may be I am not about to put on FOX and have the crap scared out me.

HauteAndCold

HauteAndCold

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2006 @ 7:49 PM

So Zucker wants more crime shows? I can sort of understand that, given the fascination so many people have with true crime stories (although there's probably plenty of that on Court TV already). But, as a true crime buff myself, that's a very different thing from inside-the-prison stories. Examining sociopathic behavior, sure...thugs in San Quentin, no thanks. (Besides, I think it's mostly women into the true crime stuff, and they/we are interested in the psychology of it, not three-hots-and-a-cot.) I'm also done with Chris Hansen's pedophile stings (how many of these poor schlubs do we need to see walking in expecting a 13-year-old, and meeting a camera crew instead?) - yeah, we get it.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Jul 6, 2006 @ 10:41 PM

It's very odd that they dropped the ball on the missile story. They're connected to NBC News, so it's not as if they don't have the resources to cover the story. Which makes me think that it was a bad call on someone's part.

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2006 @ 9:40 AM

I was watching MSNBC the other day, and there was a viewer E-mail that struck me as being incredibly ridiculous. I don't remember the exact text, but the gist of it was, "Why are there so many bomb shelters in Israel?" My answer; "Because they're always being bombed, you ninny!"

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2006 @ 10:56 AM

I am seriously annoyed with all this prison/true crime crap at 9 pm (central). Some nights that's the first chance I get to really watch the news. The kids are in bed, we're home from ballgames or whatever, and I end up having to watch AC 360 on CNN, which isn't exactly a hardship, but I prefer MSNBC, even Scarborough, I guess. Actually I prefer channel-switching between the two, which is now impossible. So boo to you, Mr. Abrams! And a great big boo to Zucker, just because he lurves Khatie Couric.

jmcd44

jmcd44

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 11:02 AM

I can't believe it-I LOVE Lockup. My roommate and I stay up watching them after we get home from the bars. I almost ditched my friends on Saturday because I had actually never seen Inside San Quentin. I love everything about MSNBC Investigates-I watched the story about Joe Palcynski on Friday even though I live in Maryland and remember the story. I get so excited when people tell me they know Corrections Officers or Federal Burea of Prisons employees. I assumed that everyone would love that show! I'm totally in shock. (How sad is my life if I'm in shock and thinking "Well, wait, if TWOPpers don't like it, maybe it sucks and I should stop watching?")

Lisey

Lisey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 12:44 PM

By all means, if you like the shows, keep watching. From what I've seen, they're well done and fairly interesting. I think my biggest problem with them is that they're not really news, which is what I turn to MSNBC to watch. But you're definitely not alone, those programs do well in the ratings.

SuperNoxic

SuperNoxic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 24, 2006 @ 5:52 PM

Right, they even do better than the live shows that were previously in those time slots. I really hate what they're doing, but I have to admit, it provides an interesting conundrum. How do you justify going back to live programming when your taped stuff does so much better and is so much cheaper to run? It seems that if people really wanted live shows, that it would have been reflected in the ratings.

jmcd44

jmcd44

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 7:02 AM

I will say that they did preempt Investigates one night this weekend for the sitatution in Lebanon, which of course was completely the right choice. They did have a new Lockup on last night, but I had to some grad school work so I couldn't watch it-I need to give it my full concentration. Otherwise, I'll never be able to casually slip "Slimers" into conversation.

AArnett

AArnett

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2006 @ 1:35 AM

EDIT: Original post deleted because of my question being answered.

MSNBC is a nice show with a bit of an educational value. I especially like the "Lockup" shows where they go into jails and prisons and see the criminals get their "just desserts" for their crimes. That is fasinating and now we see what they get into when they get sentenced to a prison term.

Edited by AArnett, Aug 9, 2006 @ 3:23 AM.

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2006 @ 1:17 PM

Not to snark (too much!) but it's ALEX Witt, not Alexis. I, too, have a deep and abiding love for her.

I actually thought her full name was Alexis but she went by Alex. But I have no idea where I got that impression and could be totally wrong. But--I love her. I want to have her babies. The last few days she's been on week mornings, a trend I hope continues (but she's probably just filling in for someone on vacation). I can't stand any other female anchor on any network. And on the week mornings I can't put up with any of the morning shows, even CNN because I hate Soledad O'Brian with a burning passion, even more than I hate Miles O'Brian, which is saying something (I'm sure I spelled at least one of those last names wrong, but I don't care enough to look it up).

Anyway, I hope Alex stays on weekday mornings so I'll have something to watch when I get up in the morning. She's nifty. And I agree with the poster above who said she seems to be really smart and seems to have a grasp on the underlying issues of whatever event they are talking about. More than I can say for most anchors, male or female.

metsmvfn

metsmvfn

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

Sources tell TMZ that the rumors are true: MSNBC host Tucker Carlson will be joining the cast of the new season of "Dancing with the Stars."

http://tmz.com/

I can't get my tags to work.

parrotslave

parrotslave

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 9:10 PM

link

NBC will abandon MSNBC's New Jersey headquarters as part of drastic cost cutting measures. 700 employees, mostly in the news division, will be getting pink slips, too.

Edited by parrotslave, Oct 19, 2006 @ 10:34 PM.

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 9:40 PM

WOW. That's a lot of people from my area...hoo boy. Hopefully they can all find work elsewhere (but yet, not at Fox, if they can help it).

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2006 @ 10:13 PM

Read deeper. The 700 jobs are NBC/Universal television wide (all 11 networks) not just at MSNBC Secaucus. The people working in Secaucus will for the most part be moving to NBC studios in Englewood Cliffs and Manhattan.

Jennionthefarm

Jennionthefarm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2006 @ 1:54 PM

Ouch. Readers at both TVNewser and Inside Cable News are up in arms over MSNBC's lack of North Korea missile coverage. It is very embarrassing and I don't think that this bodes well for the Abrams regime.

Dear MSNBC,

How are we supposed to take you seriously as a news organization and network when Iraq is devolving even further into chaos, but because it's Turkey Day and then Black Friday, you can't be bothered to have actual news, instead showing such treats as Headliners and Legends all day? Being in the news business isn't like being a teacher or an insurance salesman. When there is news, you should be on the freaking air. And I shouldn't have to watch CNN or, God forbid, Faux News, to find out what the hell is going on. Next time, get your asses off the couch, get to the studio, and get on the air.

You are my favorite cable news station by far, but you are now officially ON NOTICE! And don't think I'm talking about throwing Mike Barnicle on the air, either.

Sincerely,

Jennionthefarm

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

This morning's MSNBC news had a classic example of failure to ask the obvious. Amy Roback (sp?) was interviewing a Democratic strategist and a Republican strategist about Barack Obama and his possible presidential run. So the Republican strategist is making what in general is a perfectly valid point about Obama's lack of governmental experience, and goes on to say that in these times, with terroristic threats, we can't afford inexperience. Would it have been so hard for her to say something about George W. Bush's relative lack of experience and whether he was saying the country had learned its lesson about the drawbacks of the president being inexperienced in government?

Barrett0033

Barrett0033

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2006 @ 4:13 PM

Would it have been so hard for her to say something about George W. Bush's relative lack of experience and whether he was saying the country had learned its lesson about the drawbacks of the president being inexperienced in government?

I agree that should have been asked. It's a no brainer. Contessa would have been all over that.

CSolly

CSolly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 6:21 PM

Is MSNBC not breaking for commercial at all during this Anna Nicole hearing?

Vetasimmons

Vetasimmons

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 7:45 PM

The Anna Nicole thread got closed down. I was hoping to find the discussion had moved here. Guess not.

CSolly

CSolly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 8:17 PM

We are free to dicuss it here, right?

If so, let's get the ball rolling.

Edited by CSolly, Feb 21, 2007 @ 8:17 PM.

divotsmom

divotsmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

We are free to dicuss it here, right?

Actually I e-mailed the mod that closed the thread and he/she responded that there was not a thread available for this discussion.

I hate rules, but I can understand. ;)

I guess if we stop posting after the hearing, they would let us do that.

Edited by divotsmom, Feb 21, 2007 @ 9:04 PM.

Vetasimmons

Vetasimmons

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

The hearing was televised all day long on MSNBC. It should be on topic. I only saw about an hour of it, though, and I was hoping to hear more about it, when the discussion was cut off in the Anna Nicole thread.

I saw enough to know that Judge Fonzie has got it wrong if he's angling for a courtroom TV show. It's the plaintiffs and defendants on those shows who are the wackos, not the judges. His goofiness is not going to go over with a potential producer. Judge Wapner, Judge Judy, et al, are smart, sensible people, who can cut through bullshit. They don't make grammatical errors, mispronounce the names of the lawyers and witnesses, and generally act like asses.

Something I have a little problem with though, is why this huge full-out war with, what, half a dozen lawyers and all this time and money over where to put a dead body. I just don't get it. The person is gone from the body. If you believe in the soul, it's gone and in another place. The body's just an empty shell, and it's now rotting in a morgue because of all these people fighting. Anna Nicole's death continues to be as much an unseemly spectacle as was her life.

Edited by Vetasimmons, Mar 3, 2007 @ 9:39 PM.

CSolly

CSolly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

The cirus starts a little later tomorrow. 10:30 ET.

Howard is a real piece of crap for supplying a pregnant Anna with more drugs as doctors tried to medically wean her off of them.

divotsmom

divotsmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

over where to put a dead body

Well I think HK$ case it's about claiming residence in the Bahamas. With Nicole and Danniel there all he needs is a half million and he will be a resident and Larry won't get his daughter back. I was also surprised that Judge Fonzie let Larry have an opinion.

Edited by divotsmom, Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:02 PM.

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

Hi guys ~ Judge Fonzie, HK$, Texas, Baby D, all the Howard and Larrys and the finally the Twopers ~ happy me!

MSNBC seems to run the court feeds without interuption whereas CourtTV had commercials and some regular programing so here is the place to sit back and feed the addiction.

(waving like mad at you from the sheer joy of finding the other castaways from the ANS thread here)

divotsmom

divotsmom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:20 PM

waving back

I'm really glad they held the thread open for as long as they did. Thanks again Admins. So lets hope this issue is on MSNBC everyday, so we can stay on topic LOL

Huntsy

Huntsy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:32 PM

I am so glad I found you guys.
Chainey, I found out today I don't get MSNBC so I'll stick with HN.
Today was the 1st day I have ever heard Larry speak and he made me sniffle.

Howard? Still creepy.

Thanks CSolly. I knew I should have not put the computer in my bedroom. If I could get my 4 year old to nap for half the day I could watch online. lol Is it bad that I schedule her lunch time around court?

Edited by Huntsy, Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:41 PM.

CSolly

CSolly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:35 PM

So lets hope this issue is on MSNBC everyday, so we can stay on topic LOL

Between reruns of TO CATCH A PREDATOR, APPRENTICE and some prison crap, what else does MSNBC have to air? MSNBC probably had some of their highest ratings over the last two days.

I found out today I don't get MSNBC so I'll stick with HN.

There is a live feed on their website too.

Edited by CSolly, Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:36 PM.