MSNBC

• Please log in to reply

5250 replies to this topic

berberry

berberry

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 4:52 PM

I had to dig a page or two down to find another thread with a network name as its title. I realize it's customary here to start threads about specific programs and not news stories, but this story will probably affect every show on MSNBC so there really wouldn't be any one appropriate program thread in which to discuss it.

Microsoft Set to Quit MSNBC News Channel. The story is also being reported - headline only so far - at Drudge. If true, the channel will likely be renamed 'NBC News Channel' and we can speculate that bigger changes might be in store. I should think it likely that NBC will want to make a lot of changes at once if the network name is to be changed.

We know that Tucker Carlson has a new show that is supposed to debut sometime this month. We know also that Rick Kaplan has been contemplating many changes in the primetime lineup, as was reported on April 18 at tvnewser. At times since, tvnewser has reported that Lisa Daniels may be getting a new prime time show of her own, covering crime stories. That would probably mean that one of MSNBC's shows is soon to be cancelled. My hope is that Scarborough will be cancelled. It has the lowest ratings of any show on that channel.

I'm also hoping that NBC will promote the re-christened channel much more aggresively than it has MSNBC. There's some quality programming on there, and with a closer alliance between the cable channel and NBC News I think it could become competitive.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 9:18 PM

Daniels already has the show, and nothing got cancelled- Dietl and Daniels. It's on in the afternoon right before Connected Coast-to-Coast. They just swiped an hour from the "two people at a desk because we don't have a program in this timeslot" block. Which, I figure, this thread could be good for because it in itself has no thread. So Scarborough lives.

As for the news item, I'm looking on Google News and finding nothing about the Microsoft-backing-out thing except what you linked to and 'Outside the Beltway', both of which source the Drudge Report, leading me to believe that all roads lead to Drudge breaking the story. And Drudge isn't very trustworthy. (In addition, Drudge has a Republican slant and MSNBC seems to get a largely Democratic audience, so I wouldn't be surprised if this just turns out to be mudslinging.) I figure if it was really happening, NBC itself would have said something in a press release, which would show up on Google News.

berberry

berberry

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 9:47 PM

I'm well aware that Drudge is a questionable source, which is why I said "if true". Thing is, this story makes so much sense it's easy to believe. Plus, there have been previous stories from more reliable sources that seem to lend a bit of creedence, like this one from CNN / Money.

Everything else I said was speculation and was labelled as such. There have been previous reports from non-Drudge sources about possible changes in the MSNBC schedule. No one has yet reported that anything was definite, but if changes are coming it would seem that the best time to make them would be when the network name changes.

I'm not at all convinced that NBC would be the first to report this story if true. Other sources were reporting about the 'Tucker Carlson on MSNBC' story months before it was acknowledged by the network.

Roobear

Roobear

Posted Jun 12, 2005 @ 12:03 PM

So Microsoft might jump ship & get away from MSNBC? Gee, that's too bad. Its not like anybody watches MSNBC. I feel sorry for Keith Olberman, Joe Scarborough, & Lester Holt. They kept this from completely going under.

At least its one less news outlet that FOX News has to deal with.

berberry

berberry

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 8:09 PM

I bumped this topic because my comment has to do with the entire MSNBC lineup.

I don't like this new transition between shows, whereby one host - after his or her outgoing theme music has ceased playing - announces the first topic to be covered by the next host. It seems forced. I don't so much mind skipping the NBC News theme between shows, but I prefer that each host introduce his or her own show.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

pharmd

pharmd

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 18, 2005 @ 8:37 PM

I thought it was more like a "stayed tuned for so and so who will be talking about such and such issue" but maybe I haven't been paying all that much attention.

I have noticed that I like Hardball a lot better without Chris Matthews and his incessant shouting. Whoever has been filling in has been doing a pretty good job.

luna azul

luna azul

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:20 AM

On her radio show yesterday, Rachel Maddow reported Joe Scarborough's hints that he may run for the Senate in 2006. She ended her report by saying, "If he runs, can I have his show?"

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 9:49 AM

MSNBC has a lot more serious problems than just the transition between shows each night. If Scarbourgh leaves, they're left with yet another hole in their lineup between Rita's sagging ratings and Tucker's disaster of a show.

Dana Girl

Dana Girl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2005 @ 6:56 PM

NBC has the depth of talent to do better than Tucker or Rita (although I'm becoming oddly fond of Rita). If David Gregory had his own show, covering politics in a smart, sane, way it would be appointment television. Give Ron Reagan a decent show idea; the man's great on television. I loved After Hours. Why not a take off on that? What about a really intelligent hour solely based on foreign affairs, done by someone with charisma whose political leanings aren't always apparent? Or a show where the entire repatoire takes turns doing an hour on a topic that fascinates them? I mean, something has to fascinate Ann Curry. I bet Brokaw would show up on occaison to pontificate.

There are so many cool news shows that haven't been made; but Tucker Carlson got stuck with such a stupid one? Because the news isn't sound bite based enough? Please.

nmvrn

nmvrn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2005 @ 12:33 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the weekend anchor Bill Fitzgerald. He used to co-anchor with Alex Witt. I haven't seen him in a while. Thank you.

Edited by nmvrn, Oct 22, 2005 @ 12:33 PM.

bmills

bmills

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 5:39 PM

Okay, you got some sensational stuff with the online predator sting. Shocking story, interesting video. NOW MOVE ON ALREADY! You've shown bits of it every hour or two for days. France is frigging ON FIRE, for crying out loud. Surely you can find something else to talk about.

BridgeBar

BridgeBar

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2006 @ 7:52 PM

Has MSNBC changed their daytime programming? I've been away on business and what I saw from the hotel was old footage - old programming.

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2006 @ 8:13 PM

I think they have (I often listen to them online while I'm at work). Did Ron Reagan's show get scrapped?

Dana Girl

Dana Girl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2006 @ 8:17 PM

Yeah, they scrapped it. I don't ever watch early afternoon, but I know that they were showing Matthews and Abrams at three or so for awhile.

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 10:10 AM

When I want to watch TV news outside of the time of World News Tonight I always turn to MSNBC first. I generally can't stand the anchors on CNN, not matter what time of day, and you couldn't pay me enough to watch Fox News.

My love for Alexis Witt (weekend anchor) knows no bounds. She's wonderful. She comes off as intelligent, but also with a sense of humor, and yet somehow no-nonsense no matter what the story is. I watch her every Saturday and Sunday and wish they'd give her a more high profile gig (assuming she wants one).

bonnie77

bonnie77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 5:03 PM

How come they don't show Rita Cosby, Joe Scarborough, and Tucker Carlson on Friday nights anymore? Instead I'm treated to yet another "Prison Life" story.

hindymom

hindymom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 10:45 AM

Maybe it's because they're on Hardball on Friday.

bonnie77

bonnie77

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 11:04 PM

Maybe it's because they're on Hardball on Friday.

They didn't start going on Hardball on Fridays until after they stopped airing their shows on Friday. Basically, it's a demotion for those guys. I still wanna know what happened there!

Lisey

Lisey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 11:27 PM

The Friday night ratings were terrible, and I think MSNBC figured it just wasn't worth it to air new shows. Their taped pieces get much better ratings. Check out tvnewser.com, they post all of the cable news ratings.

bbob

bbob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 6:46 PM

Not to snark (too much!) but it's ALEX Witt, not Alexis. I, too, have a deep and abiding love for her. She is so comfortable on-air and seems to have a wicked sense of humor, as well as being whip-smart. I think she is a single-mom with teenagers, so that is why she is on weekends and not so much during the week. She is the only anchor I like to fill-in for Olbermann - she seems to "get" the vibe of the show - serious when the story calls for it, but broad and snarky when the story calls for that. I've noticed that the older I get, the more I appreciate the older news babes like Alex and Chris Jansing. (mmmmm, now that's a picture me likes!)

Lloyd Russell

Lloyd Russell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 12:03 PM

Does anyone else feel bad for Maury and Connie? Who gets a 30 min show like that on Saturdays?

seanmh

seanmh

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2006 @ 2:06 PM

Does anyone else feel bad for Maury and Connie? Who gets a 30 min show like that on Saturdays

Yeah but what's the deal with those awful commercials? "Connie Chung was never even IN VietNam". wtf?

I mean, I get it, they're a spoof on campaign ads, but the problem is, THEY AREN"T FUNNY!!

The whole premise, the show and those ads, are just too bizarre to believe.

hindymom

hindymom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2006 @ 11:02 AM

I usually work on Sat. mornings, so this is only the second time I've seen it. If it's this bad every week, I can't believe it's still on.

Lloyd Russell

Lloyd Russell

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 8:28 AM

It seems like someone owed them a favor but it is really sad.

Anyone Bueller

Anyone Bueller

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2006 @ 9:25 PM

Now that Dan Abrams is general manager of MSNBC, I hope that one of his first acts is to stop playing all those boring prison shows on the weekends. Seriously, how many fucking times do they think we want to see the inside of San Quentin?

Lisey

Lisey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2006 @ 11:25 PM

Anyone, I couldn't agree more, but this seems to indicate that they might be moving even further in that direction. They're destined to be a third-place network forever with this crap. I mean, why would anyone actually want more reruns?

seanmh

seanmh

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2006 @ 1:29 PM

I don't know what's worse on the weekends, repeats of Headliners and Legends (for pete's sake at least make some NEW ones)

The prison shows (won't watch 'em)

Contessa Brewer (she's got photos of somebody doing something real bad to be able to keep her job this long)

Lloyd Russell

Lloyd Russell

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 6:15 PM

First of all you are dead on about the prison shows. ENOUGH! I was just thinking this the other day that you know Siegenthaller's family is flipping by that at this point.

Also, as much as the prison show sucks I think we can all agree that the first change as to be the end of Rita, right?

lila

lila

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2006 @ 11:34 PM

Is there a story or explanation behind Rita Cosby's voice? Her voice always makes me cringe when I am flipping through and I can never stand to listen for long, even if I am interested in the topic. Does she always have a cold? Does she smoke a lot? Has she had a major illness?What is the deal? I'm sure she is very capable, but I am really surprised newsbroadcasting is her profession.

Lisey

Lisey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 3:44 PM

I've long wondered about her voice. At one point, I told myself I was being superficial, and vowed to just get over the voice once and for all, only to discover that, if you can stand to listen to her, she has absolutely nothing to say. Her show is insufferable. She seems nice enough, but maybe better suited for print journalism.