4-32: 2005.04.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

361 replies to this topic

wrobin1

wrobin1

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:22 AM

[wee voice]Am I the only person who kinda liked the group song?[/wv]

Nope, I have to admit I sort of liked it, too. Definitely better than the things they've been torturing us with lately.

isutiger

isutiger

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:21 AM

IIRC, one shot showed that Carrie's guitar at least had a cable plugged into it...now, I'll leave it up to y'all to figure out if the other end was actually plugged in. However, as, spacecitymarc explained upthread, the chords she was making? Made it look to me like she was actually playing.

Were the guitars up in the mix (or the keyboard for that matter?) Discuss....

Rush

Rush

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:23 AM

To think I could've been watching sexy Jessica sing for the last three weeks and instead I have to put up with multiple calorie boy.

And is anyone tired of that awkward arm movement he does every week?

Not only does he not belong in the top 12, I don't think he belongs in the top 24.

Last night, he looked like a truckdriver. Totally out of place.

I think he may the most disliked performer to ever make it this far in the four years Idol has been on. He's certainly the least talented and maybe the most unattractive.

Girls, have there been any guys more unattractive than Scott in the last four years?

Zsus

Zsus

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:23 AM

Carrie, despite her seeming bot-like unemotional facade always seems nervous and insecure on Wednesday. It may be obvious to us that she's safe as a kitten, but I have to imagine that unless she's the most arrogant Heather who ever Heathered, she's probably always nervous that this is the week she's in the bottom. Especially now that it's happened to St. Bo the Divine.

vallegirl, I'm starting to believe that Carrie is not the stuck up sorority bitch I originally, and unfairly, pegged her to be. I suspect she's nice, but reserved. I think she does get nervous on Wednesdays because she has no idea that she's the chosen one (if, indeed, she is). I doubt if she thinks she's a better singer than Nadia or Anwar, and they left so why shouldn't she? She has said that she isn't the kind of person who likes to show her emotions. She prefers to cry alone. I can respect that. I wonder if part of the reason she appears nervous on Wednesdays is she's trying to convince herself to keep it together if she does get called down to the seal.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:24 AM

Damn, in this Final 7 picture on the official website, he's got his arm around her! NO BO!

That's the habit I was pointing out. He puts his arm on the back of the sofa and leans into whomever is next to him. There was a side shot of the Idols when they first took to the risers of doom last night and he's shown moving his arm around the back of whomever is seated next to him...and then removes it when he realized it was Scott and then readjusted to his default sitting position of knees apart/ankles together.

And there could be something between Carrie and Bo, but Bo's casualness toward the "affection" and knowing that he has someone back home makes me think he sees it as platonic. If he were a dog cheating on his girlfriend he'd be far less obvious about it with Carrie. I mean, girlfriend back home is watching and a lot of Bo's appeal hinges upon his hotness. (The man's been singing in a band for a decade, he knows full well where his "appeal" lies.) So as a man with a girlfriend and a professional singer trying to win a competition, I can't see him being so careless. I'm sticking with the theory that she's developed a crush on him and he sees her as a sweet young girl.

ronaround

ronaround

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:29 AM

Damn, in this Final 7 picture on the official website, he's got his arm around her! NO BO!

That photo cracks me up. With Carrie and Bo, he's being all nice and brotherly and she's got this look like, "*giggle* he's touching me *giggle*"... And Constantine's all with his eye molesting, and the way Scott and Vonzell are positioned it makes it look like Scott is posing slinkily on the back of the sofa when it's really Vonzell's legs on there... and Anwar and Vonzell look like the world's cutest smiling couple (heh)... while Anthony is feeling his own bicep. :)

Sallins

Sallins

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:29 AM

Why in the world would TPTB recreate the elimination the same was as last year? I am happy that the audience let the show have it with all of the booing that was going on. We're not stupid, we remember last year, although, major props to Bo for not choosing a Top group. Carrie was not going to let go of Bo, "We're the safe group, We're not letting him go!" If the finale comes down to Carrie and Bo they will have to put up with the same romance rumors that Justin and Kelly did.

Seacrest and his star, good for him, he payed for it himself so I guess he thinks he deserves one.

I had nightmares about the pimpomerical.

the group sing, for once they let the ones who know how to play an instrument play it, I had no idea that Carrie played guitar.

And how is Scott still here, I just want to throw a phone at him now, I also wanted Carrie to punch him when they showed him on the couches. Anwars gone, whatever I didn't care.

kmp

kmp

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:33 AM

I was talking to a friend this morning and she feels pretty sure that when they pan to "Constantine's Family and Friends" there is a blonde woman included whom she is pretty sure is (of all people) Julia Duffy of Newhart fame. Told her I'd ask on here. Is she crazy?

Idolatry2005

Idolatry2005

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:32 AM

Ohio? Please.

You did it to me once this past year with the presidential election. Do. Not. Do. This. To. Me. Again.

Then again, at a time when America's image in the world is at a record low, maybe Scott "Hey, Bitch, This Phone's For You" Savol IS America's Idol: fat, arrogant, rude, provincial, violent, oblivious to everyone else and praying ostentatiously on television.

Hmmm....

Thank you, spacecitymarc, for making me laugh until I had tears for your comment about Ry-Ry Metrocrest and Oxycontin Abdul:

You might as well have just said, "I've got my Star, you assholes, and there's nothing you can do about it now!" before dropping trou and taking a crap on stage. Which would no doubt make Paula start dancing.

...And to you, Chubrock, for a second threat to my continence, for this:

Geez... Give these kids 90 lousy seconds as their swan song. It's not like anyone gives a damn if 'Shit On a Stick' doesn't start on time.

Edited by Idolatry2005, Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:51 AM.

Deejub

Deejub

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:34 AM

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I thought anyone could have a star as long as someone paid for it?

This is true: it costs $15,000 (USD) and is usually paid for by someone else. Maybe Merv had some cash lying around?

(Actually partly a quote of a quote, but I can't get that to show right.)

This isn't exactly accurate -- the Walk of Fame Committee has to approve based on:

Criteria for Star on the Walk of Fame
1. Professional achievement
2. Longevity of five years in the field of entertainment
3. Contributions to the community

That said, it also does require the $15,000 fee and agreement to appear at the dedication ceremony if alive, and they obviously aren't horribly selective if you've got the bucks.

(Source is this link.)

As for the show, again the voting process seals someone's doom this year -- where someone who almost everyone would put somewhere in the middle ranking the contestants goes because of the smallest group thinking they're the best of the seven. Thus, Scott and Anthony (who are probably the least favorite of the vast majority of people) stay because more people pick them first than Anwar.

Unfair, but unavoidable under AI's unfair-before-final-three voting system.

(I suspect we're headed for a final three of Carrie-Constantine-Bo or Vonzell, with Bo or Vonzell going first. The difference is that while that would be a travesty by my tastes, it would actually represent the order in which the majority would rank them top to bottom.)

While Bo in the middle was obviously scripted, it was appropriate and well done. (No trouble giving the PTB props where deserved.)

The abbreviated singout still stinks when there was so much time to waste elsewhere. They have still got no clue how to pace the show, despite all the $$$ it makes. They could afford a better director!

Edited by Deejub, Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:41 AM.

hellagood

hellagood

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:40 AM

Ya know I think next week Scott won't even sing a song. He will walk up on stage with a small child, boil him alive on stage and devour him in front of us. And you know what? America will probably still send Blowhole home first.

BWAH!

If Mr. Potatohead lasts beyond next week, I will shoot every TV in my house. And my neighbors'.

I kind of feel sorry for Bo. I hope all the pimpage doesn't backfire on him, because I get the impression he doesn't really like it. He just seems too laid-back to enjoy having the spotlight thrust upon him like that.

Still, it's nice to know the intervention worked.

Don't feel bad for Anwar. I suppose he likes being at the bottom.

That poor flamingo. It's been fucked to death because neither of the other options is a suitable alternative.

I'm going to have to hurt my coworker if she tells me next week that she, again, voted for Sluggo 45 times, cuz she feels sorry for him. Hell, even if he does go on a multi-state killing spree after he gets the boot, Alabama is at least far enough away from him that he'll be taken out before he makes it here.

darling

darling

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:40 AM

Then again, at a time when America's image in the world is at a record low, maybe Scott "Hey, Bitch, This Phone's For You" Savol IS America's Idol: fat, arrogant, rude, provincial, oblivious to everyone else and praying ostentatiously on television.

Wow, Idolatry, you nailed it. He totally IS America. *off to pack for Canada*

I was talking to a friend this morning and she feels pretty sure that when they pan to "Constantine's Family and Friends" there is a blonde woman included whom she is pretty sure is (of all people) Julia Duffy of Newhart fame. Told her I'd ask on here. Is she crazy?

I don't know about crazy, necessarily, but...no, I do not believe she's correct.

Edited by darling, Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:41 AM.

jerseydevil

jerseydevil

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:53 AM

The blonde, botoxed Pamela Anderson wannabee is most definitely not Julia Duffy. If your cable network runs the George Clooney movie Intolerable Cruelty, you can see what Julia Duffy looks like post-Newhart. She has a supporting role in the film.

HappyCapt

HappyCapt

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Volleyball, Basketball, reading.<br /><br />The Detroit Pistons!! Go boys!<br /><br />Las Vegas

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:04 AM

Don't feel bad for Anwar. I suppose he likes being at the bottom.

BWAH!!!!!!! I'm sure he does...I'm very sure!!

Poor Anwar-You-Looking-At-My-Chest. *sad face* He should have gotten to sing his song without a rude cutoff.

Hey director! Spend less time on Ryan's apparent "genius" and more time blocking out time for the, you know, the SHOW part of the program. The one we all tune in to see? Hello? Anyone????

smackd

smackd

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:07 AM

Anthony seemed to be trying to sing 'together', while Connie was, as usual, all about himself. I'm not a singer, but I assume it takes some effort to sing in harmony well with someone else.

Perhaps if Anthony had, like, known the actual lyrics, it wouldn't have been so difficult for him to sing w/ Constantine. He was cute blushing and smiling about it, though.

geoffrois

geoffrois

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:08 AM

wee voice]Am I the only person who kinda liked the group song?[/wv]

No, you're not - I actually thought it was the best group sing ever. The song itself was stupid and insipid, but it seems like they finally figured out how to pair the kids up so that the harmonies would actually work. Connie and A-Fed doing their 1st/2nd tenor duet bit made my heart melt a little, and made me wonder why Anthony doesn't ever seem to have that much power when he's singing solo - then I remembered his age, that he's probably right out of high school, and also probably learned everything he knows about singing in Show Choir; boy knows how to blend.

This is the first time this season I've actually been completely happy with the results - it was Anwar's time; he's great, technically, with a fairly weak base (comparatively), but he's just not *exciting*; even CarrieBot manages to bring more oomph each week.

mockanaitis

mockanaitis

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:12 AM

Apologies if this is already in the posts and I missed it. But boy did I laugh last night when they sent group "safe" back to the sofa. Both girls hugged / kissed Anthony and Anwar, while totally avoiding Scott. He must really creep them out.

Awesome.

LeilaBloom82

LeilaBloom82

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:23 AM

I actually thought it was the best group sing ever.

I'd agree that this was the best group sing of this season, at least. For the most part, everyone seemed on-key, although Constantine was supremely annoying and Vonzell had a few bad notes. But AFed did seem to forget the words to the song. He should take comfort in the fact that he's saved a few brain cells from being filled with insipid drivel.

Swoopin It Up

Swoopin It Up

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:24 AM

Then again, at a time when America's image in the world is at a record low, maybe Scott "Hey, Bitch, This Phone's For You" Savol IS America's Idol: fat, arrogant, rude, provincial, oblivious to everyone else and praying ostentatiously on television.

Idolatry, I've been saying for weeks here and elsewhere anytime someone wails "Why is [insert your preference for Scott's name here] still on my teevee??!!!???" that it's exactly because the general public looks at him and says "hey, that could be me!" and picks up the phone. He is some perverted, bloated form of America's Everyman, and he ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

And I still think he's a trolly ass. I don't care if he grew some manners and shook Anwar's hand or hugged him or whatever last night.

Oh, and put me down for the flamingo. Because pink is my color.

boomersooner

boomersooner

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:44 AM

If there was anyone left who thought Anthony or Scott would win--Wednesday's ep ended that fantasy. Vonzell? I doubt it--only Paula gives her any real support and Paula supports almost everyone. That being said--Scott may stay around even longer than Vonzell (or Anthony). I liken Scott to being the Howard Cosell of AI. You hate him--so you watch the show. Others pick-up on that, hence he stays.

Carrie's lack of expression? I wonder if that is learned as part of being a pageant contestant. In Texas and Oklahoma the girls play pageants, while boys football.

The last three--got to be Bo, Carrie, and Constantine. The winner? Whoever E19 wants.

DaPete

DaPete

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:56 AM

I liken Scott to being the Howard Cosell of AI. You hate him--so you watch the show. Others pick-up on that, hence he stays.

Since the ratings have gone down for three weeks in a row now, how many are staying around to hate/watch him?

I don't think that Scott or Anthony or Vonzell have a shot of winning but I do hope they are given a less rude sendoff than Anwar. I was happy to see him go, but it's not fun seeing this show that is supposedly all about the "dream" have such open contempt for their hamsters.

It's interesting that TPTB did not reveal who was the 2nd from the bottom. IMHO, it was Anthony. Scott's gonna ride the bottom three for awhile.

The voting totals in the now-locked spoilers thread had Scott and Anwar as bottom two.

Edited by DaPete, Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:59 AM.

kattam6175

kattam6175

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:56 AM

First, Bo/Carrie/Connie are seated on the couch in the Final 7 pic, while everyone else is standing behind them. Then, Bo/Carrie/Connie receive the most performance- and results-show pimpage, as well. Subtlety is obviously not 19E's strong suit.

I know this is TWoP, and the contestants are fair game, but the more Scott-hate I read, the more I want to pick up the phone and vote for him. I guess it's the same phenomenon as when Simon unmercifully slams someone and the sympathy voters come out in droves. I wonder if Scott would finally get the boot if everyone started rooting for him (or at least pretended to).

Girls, have there been any guys more unattractive than Scott in the last four years?

While I don't think Scott is attractive in a conventional sense, I do think he has a nice smile. Therefore, Iíd have to say yes. I canít remember all the fuglies off the top of my head, but Ejay from Season 1 comes to mind as one I find less attractive than Scott.

Both girls hugged / kissed Anthony and Anwar, while totally avoiding Scott. He must really creep them out.

IIRC, Carrie squeezed Scottís forearm and Vonzell did something similar. Perhaps, Scottís simply not a touchy-feely kind of guy, and they know it, so they didnít hug him out of respect. I know a lot of guys like that, so they get a handshake while everyone else gets hugs/kisses.

Edited by kattam6175, Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:58 AM.

andeely

andeely

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, books, movies...and yes, my reality is totally fictional ;)

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 11:59 AM

I just don't get it. Anwar...no personality...but lots of talent. Scott...whorid personality...negative talent.

So my question is, besides who is voting for Scott, who the fuck is voting for Constantine? Why is he never in the bottom feeders group? Yuck, between him and Scott, I vomit a little in my mouth watching this show.

I love Bo.

Edited by andeely, Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:00 PM.

Hot Water

Hot Water

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:02 PM

like one of those creepy Steve Madden shoe ads

That's it! I was trying to figure out what commercial the pimpmercial reminded me of.

as a guitarist myself, I can say with confidence that Carrie is absolutely, 100% playing her guitar

I have been indifferent toward Carrie, but she gains a little more of my respect if she can really play.

Nadias O Face

Nadias O Face

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:04 PM

I know this is TWoP, and the contestants are fair game, but the more Scott-hate I read, the more I want to pick up the phone and vote for him. I guess it's the same phenomenon as when Simon unmercifully slams someone and the sympathy voters come out in droves. I wonder if Scott would finally get the boot if everyone started rooting for him (or at least pretended to).

Please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Simon has pretty consistently predicted (provided it's not fixed) who goes home. I don't think I heard Ryan say "America sided with... Simon" as often last season.

So, at least to my recollection, he was pretty much always right on the money.

darling

darling

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:05 PM

I liken Scott to being the Howard Cosell of AI. You hate him--so you watch the show. Others pick-up on that, hence he stays.

See, that's how I'd categorize Constantine for myself. I love to hate him. Part of me really enjoys calling him names and screaming at him to put his tongue back in his mouth and get off my damn screen. But Scott? I feel bad for him, in a way, and I can see why some people find him relatable and/or sympathetic, but vocally he's been underperforming (to the point of just seeming lazy about it at times), and his attitude sucks ass. The sympathy factor, at this point, only serves to make me think I should feel guilty for disliking him. But eh, I don't anymore. But nor do I hate him in a pleasurable way, so all his presence is doing is sucking the fun out of the show for me.

windmills

windmills

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:12 PM

vallegirl: I'm sticking with the theory that she's developed a crush on him and he sees her as a sweet young girl.

Maybe. I do think they're friends. At one of her fan sites, Carrie's friend posted that she went with Bo to a tattoo parlor when he went to get another tattoo. My money is on a safe flirtation (because he's taken, and I think she is, too). I think Carrie may be more touchy-feely with guys she thinks are safe. She held Anwar's hand last week and even kissed it after Ryan said he was safe, and she hugged and kissed him last night, too. She also looked very upset when Anwar was booted last night.

I also agree that she looks nervous each Wednesday because she really does think that she could hit the Seal each week. She said in the AI magazine that she doesn't understand what the judges see in her and she always second-guesses herself, so I don't think she believes she has a final two spot locked up.

The whole group looks like they get along, including Scott. I like that they've taken the drama out of Wednesdays. All the finalists seem resigned, and act like there's no suspense. One of them is going to go anyway, and it's going to suck. That's not the kind of TV the producers want, IMO, and I love that the finalists aren't cooperating.

Edited by windmills, Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:12 PM.

anamazonruns

anamazonruns

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Well, Idol, obviously. Other shows too although PBS Kids Sprout has pretty much taken over my TiVo. I have an adorable daughter who was born in 2005. I play viola in an orchestra. I am a law professor and professional writer/editor. I play World of Warcraft, although I am trying to cut back (always). I lift weights, hike, garden, read, squee like a fangirl.

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:14 PM

I think itís always an interesting question who will get an ousted contestantsí votes. Depends on why you liked the one who was kicked out and who shares that trait. For Anwar I agree Vonzell is the likely recipient for these reasons that people liked Anwar:

Trait and person who shares it most

Super sweetie sweet sweet personality: Vonzell
Awful darn abdorably cute to look at: Vonzell
Traditional: Vonzell/Carrie
Strong trained vocals: Carrie, Vonzell, Anthony
African American: Vonzell
Forgettability Factor: Vonzell
Completely unthreatening: Vonzell/Anthony
Boring: Carrie
Looks good in heavy makeup and super high heels: Vonzell

Edited by anamazonruns, Apr 21, 2005 @ 1:00 PM.

sdPalladio

sdPalladio

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:22 PM

That photo cracks me up. With Carrie and Bo, he's being all nice and brotherly and she's got this look like, "*giggle* he's touching me *giggle*"... And Constantine's all with his eye molesting...

Yeah, she's a sweet girl, and he's an older rocker guy, and if makes sense for them to hang on to each other but not really go anywhere with it. He thinks she's cute and sweet and fun, and she thinks he's great and strong and nice. I can't really see a genuine dating thing for them though, like some people have suggested.

That Pimpmercial was like an ill-advised use of Super Bowl ad time, where people watch it and go, wow... um... that was weird, and hope it stops getting airtime after a week.

Bo not picking a group? He didn't even think about it or hesitate in the slightest. Clearly scripted.

Still would've liked Scott to beat him

Interesting.

Snerk!

Why, FakeJesus, why? Maybe Scott's like...The Cooler?

Actually, I see Constantine owning a nigthclub in New Jersey in a few years...sitting on a stool with a huge gut like Jake Lamotta at the end of Raging Bull...singing a few lines of "Bohemian Rhapsody" before stopping to yell at some guy whose groping a waitress...

Priceless!

Please, please tell me they're not hoping for Bo vs. Constancreep in the finals. Please! C's voice just isn't that good, and I don't care if he is crazyscarycool.

Dama47

Dama47

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 12:23 PM

Lexcentric quoth:

[galadriel]He has fallen into shadow[/galadriel]