Foreign Muck: TV From Other Countries

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

306 replies to this topic

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2006 @ 10:41 PM

Cobalt Stargazer, was it Drop The Dead Donkey?

pafirefly

pafirefly

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2006 @ 7:18 PM

dustylil, for some reason your post just jogged my memory! The uber-creepy British show I was thinking of was called Monkey Dust. Anyone else seen this?

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 1:55 AM

I have to echo the sentiments of most here who've said that Australian programs from ABC and SBS are much better than Blue Heelers or the awful McLeod's Daughters.

I agree fully on McLeod's daughters, but Blue Heelers in its prime (mid 90s) was awesome. Some of the acting on that show was phenemonel. They struck gold with the actors they hired for the first cast and for some reason, have never been able to replicate that. Bar Martin Sacks (who seems to have chosen to step away from acting) the others are all doing very, very well nowdays. William McInnes is a God, I flove Lisa McCune to death (well I was a teenager at the time, and she was my idol) and John Wood is like my dad. The later years were shite, but mid 90s no other show could touch it.

ETA What surprises me most about tv in other countries is what they can get away with showing, like really graphic sex and male frontal nudity--and that's the tame stuff. I remember traveling in Britain, France and Germany, and almost getting whiplash from doing double takes from watching television.

There was this great talk show that I liked, called The Panel, which was just these 4 guys and 1 token (annoying) woman. Haven't been able to find it on the internet.

They fell over their own pretensiousness. They were awesome to begin with, but went over the top. Were you here when (annoying) Kate breastfed her kid on TV?

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 5:18 AM

pafireflyMonkey Dust is superb. A twisted cartoon joke fest. Darker than dark & with some superb characters. The first time cottager and Ivan Dobsky are my favourites. I'm glad it's making it's way across the pond.

TheGrimRecapper

TheGrimRecapper

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2010 @ 11:50 PM

Talk about the sublime and the ridiculous. SBS (sublime, discussed upthread) has bought Des chiffres et des lettres (ridiculous, also discussed upthread), the world's most boring game show, and is making an Australian version.

Gee, I wonder if it could possibly get any harder.

Edited by TheGrimRecapper, Oct 26, 2010 @ 11:54 PM.

kmcarte

kmcarte

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2010 @ 11:13 AM

I'm glad to have found this thread so that I can finally mention my all consuming love for Never Mind the Buzzcocks, I think it's hilarious and I love how they mock their guests.

The addition of Noel Fielding is fantastic, though I do miss Simon Amstell. I wish I could find the past seasons on DVD, it's been on forever so that would be a lot of DVDs though.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 3:49 AM

I second all the Fort Boyard love upthread. Such a classy show with a simple concept, and all the games are of the "easy to understand, hard to complete" variety. A lot like The Crystal Maze, made by the same creator but with hokey "time zone" themes and more variety, but generally less awesome games.

Edited by SnideAsides, Mar 8, 2012 @ 3:51 AM.