Deadliest Catch

• Please log in to reply

7167 replies to this topic

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 3:55 PM

I went to high school with a guy who wound up crabbing. After a couple of years he came back and told all of theses stories, such as staying awake 5 straight days, that we knew were exaggerations.

After watching this show, I now know he was not telling tall tales.

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2005 @ 1:33 PM

We haven't seen enough of the "Boat owner's son" to know whether he is slacking or not. He was sitting down in the one shot they showed of him, but nobody seemed to be pissed that he wasn't working hard - they did pick on him just like any other new guy though.

So far, the only slacker seems to the be ex-Navy greenhorn. His whole crew is bitching about him not pulling his weight.

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 9:23 AM

Tonights show says Fish and Game announce early close to season. hmmm, what are they going to show in the next 8 episodes?

I'm going to try to be quick with the DVR controls this week so that the "dead or alive" lyrics don't stick in my head for days, cause they repeat it like a million times.

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 11:30 AM

Tonights show says Fish and Game announce early close to season. hmmm, what are they going to show in the next 8 episodes?

There are two crab seasons. One for king crab and the other for snow crab. The same boats do both and the snow crab season lasts a good bit longer.

MrCBM

MrCBM

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 1:34 PM

There are two crab seasons. One for king crab and the other for snow crab. The same boats do both and the snow crab season lasts a good bit longer.

How do the different type of crabs know when to go after the bait?

I also can't stop watching this show. I've checked and now Timber cutters supposedly tops the list of deadliest jobs. It probably won't make good TV, unless we see some accidents, which would be grusome.

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 3:59 PM

Deadliest jobs is defined by a ratio. More people may die cutting timber, but way more crab fishermen die per 1000 (or 10,000 or however that ratio works).

The second crab fishing season is much farther north which actually makes it deadlier because of ice buildup and icy decks.

Looks like tonight's episode starts to show us the gruesome side of the business. The previewed the injuries that start tonight, but I bet they edit it so any fatalities are pushed to later in the season.

Amber4481

Amber4481

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 10:54 PM

I think even if I wasn't vegan, I wouldn't be able to eat king crab ever again. . .for me at least, it would be like buying blood diamonds.

I'm pretty sure it's a different situation. It seems to me that a lot of guys choose this profession because it is dangerous. Plus, lots of men sink their livelyhoods into those boats so if everyone stopped eating crab they would be without work and unable to help support their families.

I actually think the quota system seems like a pretty good idea for keeping overfishing to a minimum. Does anyone have any information as to if it really works as well as its supposed to?

I was really drawn to this show because it seems to be everything that Survivor pretends to be. Can you imagine if in the opening of the next season of Survivor if Probst was like "and this season several of our cast members are actually going to die. And no one will be allowed to lie around on the beach."

Edited by Amber4481, Apr 26, 2005 @ 10:55 PM.

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 12:55 AM

I actually think the quota system seems like a pretty good idea for keeping overfishing to a minimum. Does anyone have any information as to if it really works as well as its supposed to?

If the quota system is the same as the IFQ system in other fisheries, it should work very well to limit overfishing. Most likely, they will give the boats/owners "shares" to fish rather than actual pounds, and assign a poundage per share figure on a yearly or seasonally basis. For example, they might decide that a boat gets 10,000 shares to fish. On an average year, a share would equal one pound thus giving the fishermen 10,000 lbs. to catch. The next year, the Bering Sea crab fishery might be doing well and a share would be worth 1.5 lbs, allowing that same boat to catch 15,000 lbs. A seasonal limit is figured out and the value of a share is determined based on that.

The bottom line is that a time-limited fishery is hard to control. The Fish & Game could see the limit being caught up and announce a closure in 12 hours, during which time a couple boats could hit it big and go well over what the authorities determined the limit to be. A quota system actually has the closure based on the projected limit for the season--whereas a time-limited system's goal is to come as close to the limit as possible in a certain time period--and when used right it will virtually eliminate overfishing.

Edited by yama, Apr 27, 2005 @ 1:00 AM.

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 2:15 AM

Those deck hands work hard for the money. They said 75% of the take goes to expenses and the boat owner. The remaning 25% is split between the deck hands. With the greenhorns making a wage.

Although they may strike it rich sometimes, that's not a lot of money for a once a year job. More like a nice Christmas bonus to supplement their regular job.

I do think the boat owner must make out pretty good, but they do have to pay for the investment.

I do remember them running for two crabs last season. The latter was in real harsh conditions. So it looks like we will see more of snow crabs since they only have one more pot drop for the king crabs before the time limit.

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 10:07 AM

I agree. To keep the series going for the rest of its run they pretty much have to follow the boats out for the snow crab.

Good money or not, I don't think I'd sign up for a job with a 100% injury rate.

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 1:19 PM

According to this website, Deadliest Catch will follow king crab season in October and opilio season in January.

And GlennGlenn, you're right--even though king crab fishing gets the most exposure as "the most dangerous job in the world", opilio season is far worse. Rougher seas, winter storms, and colder weather contribute to the freezing spray you might remember from last season, which is one of the biggest concerns for crab fishermen.

Edited by yama, Apr 27, 2005 @ 1:21 PM.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 3:19 PM

As I've said before, this show really fascinates me. I'd watch even without the specter of someone's death at which the narrator keeps hinting. Not that it's any less tragic, but I'm hoping perhaps that it's someone on a boat not being profiled.

I haven't gotten the boats/captains/crews all figured out, but in last week's epi -the captain who told the young hunky greenhorn (the one who was chopping bait for 50 more pots) that he'd lose 10 minutes of sleep for each box lost, or whatever it was he said? Asshole, party of 1, your table is ready! I think it's the same captain who refused to shake the same greenhorn's hand when everyone was boarding, saying the greenhorn would have to "earn" the handshake. Yes, I understand it's tough grueling dangerous work, and captains aren't there to hold anyone's hand. But, c'mon!

Will have to catch the repeat of last nite's new show next Tuesday. After TAR ends on May 10th, I can catch the regular airings.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2005 @ 8:00 PM

What, no DVR? Not even a VCR?? One of those would be a good thing to put on your Christmas list :-).

I can't believe how old some of the men on that one boat look. They had to be at least in their 50's, maybe even 60's. It is amazing that they can continue to do this job, year after year, & at that age. I wonder what people like them (ones who seem to do this job every season) think about the possible new quota/timing system.

Edited by jmilazzo, Apr 28, 2005 @ 12:59 AM.

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 12:47 AM

I think it will still be a deadly job. There is probably a prime time when the crabs are running and everyone will be out there fishing like crazy.

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 3:36 AM

It will definitely always be a dangerous job just due to the nature of the conditions in which they are fishing (weather, unpredictability of the sea, etc.). The quota system will make it much safer because, rather than being at the mercy of the Fish & Game and having to fish when they say go and stop when they say stop, the captains can choose to go out when the conditions are more to their liking. Yes, I'm sure there will be those times when the crab are plentiful and everybody will be out trying to catch their quota but they won't be fishing against each other as much as fishing toward their individual limit. The crews won't have to be as frantic to catch as much as they can as fast as they can because at the end of the day, they will still only be able to catch x-amount of crab.

Oh, and jmilazzo:

I can't believe how old some of the men on that one boat look.

I have a theory that all those guys are really like 30, but years of being banged around on a fishing boat just made them look that haggard and rough ;)

beachgirl430

beachgirl430

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 10:48 AM

I like this show so far but I was wondering, what if you got out there and after a while decided that you did not want to work anymore? Do you just say "I quit" and lay around the boat or I wonder how they handle this or if it has ever happened? if this situation was ever mentioned, I missed the outcome.

wreck

wreck

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2005 @ 12:21 PM

They are playing for keeps! If someone actually "quit" in the middle - I truly believe they would have an "accident" and be lost at sea! Same goes for any photographer that happened to be on board.

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2005 @ 11:09 AM

That ankle injury looked really painful. You could see the guys foot was a little blue when they taped him up.

Amber4481

Amber4481

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 9:52 PM

Tonight's ep was pretty good, but the constant references to someone's death is making me really uncomfortable. I like these guys, I don't want any of them to get hurt.

Edited by Amber4481, May 3, 2005 @ 9:53 PM.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 10:16 PM

Tonight's ep was pretty good, but the constant references to someone's death is making me really uncomfortable. I like these guys, I don't want any of them to get hurt.

It will be interesting to see if these kinds of channels play like the big boys by trying to lure you in with misleading information & then, instead of one of the main featured people dying, having it turn out to be someone from a boat we saw only once. Someone posted a link about a boat that did go down & I think they said it (the boat) was shown in the episode that talked about the survival suits. And, please forgive me, but I would be relieved because I like all of these guys too.

Edited by jmilazzo, May 3, 2005 @ 10:18 PM.

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2005 @ 10:40 PM

Someone posted a link about a boat that did go down & I think they said it (the boat) was shown in the episode that talked about the survival suits. And, please forgive me, but I would be relieved because I like all of these guys too.

A possible spoiler as far as whether or not any of the Deadliest Catch boats/crewmen are involved in any fatalities: According to this website, the Big Valley and Sultan 150 both lost crewmembers. IIRC, those are the only boats that suffered fatalities. Not sure if either of those boats will be followed during opilio season, but I follow the Bering Sea fishery pretty closesly and it seems like it would be big news if a crew being followed by the Discovery channel cameras suffered any deaths.

I was so happy to see that the greenhorn on the Northwestern got paid a percent of the catch--he definitely earned it. He worked hard and put up with way more shit that I ever could.

Britty

Britty

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 7:42 AM

I was so happy to see that the greenhorn on the Northwestern got paid a percent of the catch--he definitely earned it. He worked hard and put up with way more shit that I ever could.

I was thrilled that he got the extra money. He worked his butt off and didn't complain about anything.

beachgirl430

beachgirl430

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 8:39 AM

Do you all think that the one guy really threw that rotton fish in with the crabs as a joke? why would anyone do that?

I was sitting there figuring out hourly wages...if they worked 80 hours some of them got paid $2000 per hour. pretty darn good wages.

I am glad I don't eat crab legs........

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 9:54 AM

I am glad I don't eat crab legs........

I do eat crab legs and after this I understand why they cost so much.

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 10:53 AM

After this airs we'll see if Willie ever gets hired on another boat. He bitched and moaned and backstabbed the caprain the entire time, then come to find out that he threw the fish in that may have killed $25,000 worth of crab.

Sounds like the ideal crewman.

wreck

wreck

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 11:10 AM

I was sitting there figuring out hourly wages...if they worked 80 hours some of them got paid $2000 per hour. pretty darn good wages.

Your math is a little off. I think I saw that the highest paid deck hands made $8,000 for the 80 hours - that's $100./hour.

beachgirl430

beachgirl430

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 3:22 PM

I thought I saw where they made $16,000 for 80 hours? and I meant to put $200 an hour...sorry

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 11:42 PM

Sounds like the ideal crewman.

"Man Overboard!"

Some of those pots were stuffed with crabs. I would love to see some underwater footage of the crabs walking into those traps. I keep picturing the scene in 'Aliens' where they are in the air ducts and they turn on the light to see a herd of aliens coming right at them. The sea floor must be covered by crabs.

It seems like even the deck hands on the small boats made $6-8K. Either they got a bigger cut or there was less people to split it up with.

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 1:17 AM

What I kind of wondered about the fish that was thrown in the crab hold is why didn't the crab eat it? From my experience, crab aren't the pickiest eaters and with that number of crab you'd think they'd have it finished off in no time. Not that I think that thought/assumption makes Willie's move any smarter or explains it at all. What an idiot.

The sea floor must be covered by crabs.

Most crabs travel in massive pods like this one (on the middle left side). I couldn't find very many pictures, but they are unbelievable to see--just hundreds and hundreds of crab all grouped up in a big ball. It really would have been cool if they could have attached underwater cameras to the pots (although Fish & Game probably would have had an issue with that).

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 12:30 PM

Speaking of cameras. I was actually thinking earlier on in the series, that if being "on the crab" is such a crap shoot, why don't they drop a camera over the side and find some good crab runs.

I realize under water equipment isn't cheap, but neither is fishing an entire season and not finding any crab.

Has anybody seen which crew members are returning for opilio season and which are out of here. Obviously the Navy guy is out, but has there been any word on any of the other greenhorns?