Deadliest Catch

• Please log in to reply

7167 replies to this topic

pasandola

pasandola

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

While I think it is totally plausible that Jake wound up on a different boat, I don't see a picture of Jake on the Kiska anywhere.  Can someone direct me to his picture on the Kiska Sea's FB page (I only see him the picture of him in the studio with the Kiska's crew). 

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

I will try to find the link for you that shows and list Jake A. as a crew member of the Kiska Sea. 

I also know that the NW released a picture and listed the crew members and Jake A. was not shown nor listed.  I saw this last week.

Jake A. was reported to have been on the Kiska Sea back in December when she came into port in King Cove, Ak (and was one her when she left).

We will have to wait and see what happened.

Here is the link to Jake's twitter, where he tweets about not being with Sig because he is still fishing (4/16) and may not be on DC next season and his tweet about hoping the fans still loved him after the show airs.  

https://twitter.com/JakeVAnderson

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

I can't follow twitter pages -- too chaotic for my brain, but there are affectionate tweets from Edgar, lots of "love you!"s between them, so I suspect all is well. Somebody congratulates him on "opie captaincy" and he says they're still filming him and it will air next season.  These are from the past couple of weeks as he's still out fishing. 

So I imagine somebody needed help and he went with the Hansons' blessing, or he gets fired because of fighting but more in a "you've outgrown this position on this boat" way than a "you suck" way, and was given glowing recommendations.  How the show spins it, who knows (ask Blake and Rick from the Maverick).  But as somebody pointed out, in many organizations you need to go "out" to come back in at the executive level. Hopefully that's all there is to it, despite whatever emotional blowups we may see. 

tanyat

tanyat

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:39 PM

Jake A doesn't strike me as stupid about his career - so I doubt he'd ever go to the CM.  He also doesn't seem like the type to screw with his working situation to please OP and Discovery, like the Harris boys.

Anyone have any background info on the Kiska Sea?

I know the stories are out there that Josh H bought the CM back, but I really don't believe that.  This isn't the life he wanted - he started fishing only after the cameras showed up and he'll be gone when the cameras leave.

Edited by tanyat, May 16, 2013 @ 12:41 PM.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 2:55 PM

For once, Junior was not being a total dick.  Unless there were specific conversations about Junior continuing in that certain area (which of course Disco never showed us), Elliott has no cause to be upset.  As to why Elliot went in - he said he had a delivery date to meet as he was taking the Saga out from port.  Full or no, a captain has got to meet those dates.

Keith wasn't being particularly generous to Edgar.  His season was over.  He had nothing to lose.

There is no way in hell Josh has actual controlling ownership of the CM.  He may have been given operational control, though.  Disco would be sure to cough up the dough to make that happen.

The whole King/Blue back and forth is confusing.  My guess is that the boats who had quota for both decided to grab the reds while they could, understanding that most of the fleet would be out there.  So, they went after the reds before they became tough to find.  Then, since blues are a pain and the quota is far less anyway, they'd go out for those last.  The NW had only a 27K pound quota for blues?  Hardly worth the trip, unless they got lucky (which it appears they did).

It was time for little Jake bird to fly out of the nest.  If he did, when he did, and how it came to pass are not majorly relevant to his career.  He needed to get out there and run boats.  Should the day come when the NW needs a great captain, Jake would have every chance to win that gig, if and only if, he gits her done now.

Edited by trojan69, May 16, 2013 @ 2:59 PM.

AZChristian

AZChristian

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

Back when Derrick Ray was brought in after Phil Harris died, he did an interview about the difficulties between him and the Harris boys on the Cornelia Marie.  He said that Josh had come to him and told him that they weren't there to catch crabs - they were there to make a TV show, and would all be leaving as soon as the camera crew did.

If Josh has changed, I'm glad . . . but I'll need to see it to believe it.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

I haven't seen any other confirmation about the CM except for what Josh himself has written.  Claims he owns 70% and Jake owns the other 30%.  I had also read somewhere that Ms. Devlin is holding part of the note.  So who knows.  After the way Derrick Ray was treated, I had no use for the Harris boys and believe even less of what they say.  Actions always speak louder than words.

I don't see Jake A. going to work on the CM.  Jake A. is too smart for that. I would think that Freddie would be too smart to go back to the CM.  There is a very close bond between Jake A. and the Hansen's that I don't think would be broken.  He could have been offered a chance on the Kiska Sea and the Hansen's sent him with their blessings.  Who knows but Jake A.'s tweets have implied a little more happened.  I really don't know.

It would not bother me in the least if neither of the Harris boys were ever shown on DC again.  They were only on the show and fishing because of DC.  it seems that neither one of them has been able to cut it on another boat.  Andy & Jonathan have both stated that they had told Josh that he would not have a job on the TB for opies.  They also implied that he really was not working out on the boat as he was not pulling his weight.  I hope for the best for both of the Harris boys but I really am tired of the "poor pitiful Harris boys" story line.  They are not the first children-nor will they be the last, to lose a parent at a young age.

As for the Kiska Sea, she is part of the Aleutian Spray Fisheries.  She is 124" long and her tonnage is around 195.  I believe she was built in the early to mid 1990's and she is based out of Seattle.

Edited by iluvobx, May 16, 2013 @ 3:40 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 6:11 PM

his tweet about hoping the fans still loved him after the show airs.

That is kind of ominous sounding...

Makes you wonder if Jake quit on bad terms and that due to timing and Edgar/Sig/Jake wanting to reconcile/resolve the bad blood in private, away from the cameras (and due to the fact that the fact that the ATC/Bait* episodes more than likely are not considered "official" episodes of the series), casual vewiers will walk away thinking, when the season ends up reruned over and over again, that Jake Anderson is an asshole of epic proportion.....

*The episode where Jake gets fired will more than likely feature an episode of The Bait, not only to hype the episode, but probably to let Edgar/Sig/Jake spin the entire situation to minimalize damage by having them go on and on about how they've patched things up and are back on friendly terms since filming ended for the season while letting fans know ahead of time, that the reconciliation won't be acknowledged until next season on the show itself, let alone the notion that Jake may or may not be gone for good from the show....

rebl rn

rebl rn

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 8:21 PM

Interview with Edgar about his relationship with Sig and about the Harris brothers. 

Couple of bites:

Also, it's not like the Northwestern doesn't have talent on deck, and that includes another sibling and the captain's protege, up-and-coming deckhand Jake Anderson, who has been in charge of the deck, piloted the boat into dock and kept the vitally important logbook.

"Yeah, that's all fine and dandy," says Edgar, "but when Jake's head is so far up Sig's a** ..."

Hanson also chuckles at the idea that Anderson is Sig's surrogate son.

"Right," he says, "Sig's got two daughters, and now he has one more, and his name's Jake. But we've got Jake; we've got Norm, our other brother. He's on deck. He's eager and willing. I don't think he wants to run the boat or anything, and Norman's completely capable. They just don't show it on TV, because he hates the cameras."

Re: the Harrises

In an interview two weeks ago with Zap2it, Josh Harris says he's acquired ownership of the Cornelia Marie and plans to fish for king crab this fall.

"I heard he got it," says Hansen, "but until I see that thing in the water with somebody behind the wheel -- then I'll believe it."

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

Cornelia Devlin is still listed as the "current" owner of the CM in the State of Alaska database.  Unlike many other vessels, she is sole owner listed.

OK, how many of you knew that Sig was short for "Sigurd?"

Edited by trojan69, May 16, 2013 @ 10:16 PM.

ThemsSnails

ThemsSnails

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 11:29 PM

trojan69, I just learned that the other day when my friend looked it up! :D We had the same reaction. 

It would be darkly funny if Josh ends up putting Jake Anderson in charge of the boat, since Josh needs results ASAP to pay off what he spent on the boat...

If Josh is even slightly in tune with reality, it will occur to him that all of those outstanding attributes, particularly work ethic, that make Jake Anderson crucial to Josh's success as an owner/captain, it's even more crucial to his success that he himself acquire them. 

I do think that both have matured enough that Jake A. would be strong enough and brave enough to bluntly set Josh straight on important matters running the boat, and Josh would be wise enough to not pull a Derrick Raye job on him, especially after having worked directly with him and seeing that Jake A. knows his stuff.

Although as to choosing captains or co-captains for the Cornelia Marie, Jake A. has an overwhelming advantage over any and all other competition: his audition for the job involved being directly swapped for Jake Harris for a full crab season of head-to-head comparison of all aspects of the job.

That would be like Aaron Rodgers joining the Packers line up after a few games with me under center.

Edited by ThemsSnails, May 16, 2013 @ 11:33 PM.

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 6:27 AM

"Yeah, that's all fine and dandy," says Edgar, "but when Jake's head is so far up Sig's a** ..."

Hanson also chuckles at the idea that Anderson is Sig's surrogate son.

"Right," he says, "Sig's got two daughters, and now he has one more, and his name's Jake. But we've got Jake; we've got Norm, our other brother. He's on deck. He's eager and willing. I don't think he wants to run the boat or anything, and Norman's completely capable. They just don't show it on TV, because he hates the cameras."

Damn, this makes me sad...and unhappy with Edgar.

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

Cornelia Devlin is still listed as the "current" owner of the CM in the State of Alaska database.  Unlike many other vessels, she is sole owner listed.

That is all I could find also.  As I said, I never could confirm Josh's remarks.  At times I wonder what Josh's reality really is.  I don't see how Josh could come up with the financing he would need to take 70% control.  The deckhands can make good money but we also know what Josh likes to spend his money on.

I knew what Sig's name was.  I seem to remember that DC mentioned that fact in the beginning.

When I read Edgar's remarks, it made me sad, because it really sounds like sour grapes on Edgar's part.  Jake A. has always made it known that he would like to be the captain of a large ship as in a cargo ship.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 3:04 PM

Caught a new promo that Discovery Channel aired for the next episode and they seem to be going with the angle (at least in the commercial) that Jake has a complete and total nervous breakdown, to set up his possible departure.

Is Jake still married? Given what has happened with Elliot and Jonathan Hillstrandt's son in terms of showing how marital problems can caue people to behave crazy-like or fling them into dark depression when you are stuck at sea and away from your signifcant other for the bulk of the year, the "who is the heir apparent"  thing might not be the trigger and it might be something close to home that causes Jake to go crazy and lead to his getting into a fight on deck and firing? Like say, Jake finding out that his wife is cheating on him or has suddenly decided she does not want to be married to someone who is off on a boat 90% of the year and has filed for divorce?

Say, everything is going good until someone contacts Jake with word that his wife is cheating on him or has announced that she wants a divorce and that basically causes Jake to loose his marbles? Which in turn sets up Jake turning on Edgar, who is all "So what?" in terms of treating Jake's impending divorce (so soon even, after the wedding) as an occupational hazard in terms of the fact divorce is common in the profession and not the end of the world, which his not what Jake wants to hear and spurns him to quit in order to salvage his marriage.

Or more macabre (and fitting towards how secretive the departure of Jake has been in the build-up towards the season); his wife is pregnant but has a miscarriage while Jake is off at sea and that triggers Jake's breakdown and being fired/leaving the Northwestern. Losing a child in such a fashion would explain why everyone is walking on eggshells and would probably explain why all of the parties involved are staying mum about why Jake's firing/departure. Especially if she was late into her pregnancy when she lost the child.

(Jake having marital problems would also explain another bit of reasoning regarding DC's change in regards to Elliot's edit this season; given how Elliot was given a negative edit last season while dealing with his own marital problems, they may have felt guilty downplaying Jake's similar problems this season and decided to present Elliot in a favorable light this season so he would not complain about there being a double standard where the new guy gets painted in a bad light while the regulars get their crisies covered up in the editting room.) 

Telila

Telila

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 7:25 PM

I looked up the Kiska Sea and it seems to be a great boat to be on. It has had the same captain for over 20 years and is not a house forward boat so Jake can learn under another well respected captain on a different type of boat. On a side note the Kiska Sea was a sister ship to Derrick Ray"s boat the Siberian Sea. They used to have identical paint schemes. I wonder if the Kiska Sea's captain might be close to retirement, this would be an excellent opportunity to step up into the wheelhouse for Jake.

Not sure if its Jake or not but the most recent group pics of the Kiska Sea identify everyone but one guy that looks to be Jake As size with black rain gear on. I also noticed the Kiska just made the FB page in December 2012, about the time Jake would have joined them. Not conclusive proof that he is on the Kiska Sea but enough to really make you wonder if there is truth to the rumors. 

As for Jake going to the CM, I don't see that happening. If he didn't get enough of Jake H's crap when he was on the NW, I am certain Johnathan and Sig would set him straight. John and Jake are actually kind of close.

I believe Josh remains on the TB for opies but was told this was his last year on the TB. 

Unless Josh has grown up a lot I don't see things going well on the CM. Its not just Derrick that has had problems with Josh, another captain, Jim Wilson, took the CM tendering a few years back and josh went along (there were photo ops and DC filmed a bit of it). Th captain said Josh didn't even help clean up the boat when they docked, just jumped off and went home. Unless Jake has straightened out then he will just compound the problems on the CM. 

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

Assuming that the Kiska Sea, due to DC desperately wanting to keep Jake Anderson on screen, joins the show next season who should the show axe to make a place for it? Same with the Cornelia Marie if it returns?

I would say get rid Wild Bill and his ship and Junior. Wild Bill has always been something of a grumpier, less likeable version of Keith from the Wizard and Junior, since at least Elliot has trainwreck potential.....

ThemsSnails

ThemsSnails

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

...that Jake has a complete and total nervous breakdown, to set up his possible departure.

You just officially snapped all of my circuits. I've said since he joined this show there was something off about him, he wasn't quite right inside and something was going to give at some point.

That he's oddly emotional in obsessing over all the minutia like adolescent girls do about their latest crushes (not that he's gay, not that there's anything wrong with that, just his fixation on his progress). He'd be sitting up there in the wheelhouse when he was on duty analyzing Sig's tone when he asked him to take the wheel, what it meant to be asked, what he thought about what that shift would do, what everyone was thinking about him up there, every little word, event, look, he agonized over what it meant, how it made him seem, etc. etc.

Then this season, he came back and seemed so much more confident, strong, more guy's guy crab fisherman personality. His attitude about going up and doing the logbook when he'd just been eagerly planning a few hours' well-earned sleep won me over, as did the Coast Guard's enthusiastic evaluation of work he's both brand new at and doing on next to zero sleep. 

And THEN you tell us he's had a nervous breakdown! 

Edited by ThemsSnails, May 18, 2013 @ 12:18 AM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 3:28 AM

Adding to that notion; Jake Anderson could be mildly autistic or have a form of functional asperger's syndrome. Aspergers folk fixated on things, becoming absolute experts on it (to the point that the syndrome was once nicknamed "Little Professor Syndrome") and utterly devoted to a subject/task with single minded monomania. Also, some react very badly when there are sudden changes to their daily routine. 

Which adds another angle to the Jake/Edger/Sig triangle. Which is to say that Jake snaps due to the loss of Sig, in terms of the notion that without Sig as a constant at work and Edgar now moved to a new position, Jake is no longer in his comfort zone and might act out more and more in frustration. Yes, he did handle being shipped off to trade places with Jake Harris, but the whole trade-off hinged on Sig talking to Jake A. like he was a five year old to explain it to him along with Sig doing his damnest to paint the trading places thing as "this is to further your training to become a captain" and "this is only temporary". Also note that Phil kept Jake doing mostly busy work as if he was afraid that Jake could go crazy pants at any moment, if he felt that he was being traded away like an unwanted puppy

So the loss of Sig and his sort of fatherly mentoring of Jake, combined with Edgar's promotion and it's impact upon their working relationship (Edgar becoming even more or aloof and distant from Jake, which coud be explosive given that Sig was always there to serve as a counterbalance to Edgar with Jake) and him being seperated from his wife (and his possible fear that she will leave him, given that it is a running joke amongst the crabbers that marriage fall apart at the drop of the hat)? Combined with the loss of his father and sister? I could see Jake freaking out with the changing though since he held it together initially, though at the sae time, there HAS to be a trigger to set the ball rolling besides Sig simply leaving all of the sudden. Maybe Edgar rejects Jake's offer to help do paperwork like the log book in a manner that basically sets Jake's mind off down the slippery slope of a nervous breakdown, in terms of making him feel unwanted and unapprieciated?

iluvobx

iluvobx

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Interesting theories.  According to Jake, he and his wife are still together and he was sad that he would miss their first anniversary because he was still out fishing.

We do know that Jake is a recovering addicted.  That has not been hid.  He has had a hard "luck" kind of life in a way.  Remember when his sister passed away when he was out crabbing?  Then his dad disappeared and his remains were not found for over a year.  Jake, Sig , Edgar and Nick M. have  all had stated that Jake was the one that was keeping the family financial afloat.  That is a very tall order for a young man.

I read somewhere (I think Jake A.'s twitter) that DC is still filming Jake A.  We will have to wait & see what DC shows us.  I do know that Jake was on the Kiska Sea in December.  He was seen getting on and off her and he left on her when she went back out for crabs.

I may have misunderstood Jonathan's remark about which crab season that Josh was told he no longer had a job.  What I understood from both Jonathan and Andy, Josh was no longer pulling his weight on the TB and was just going through the motions and that was something that they would no longer tolerate.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 1:52 PM

I'm waiting till the episode airs before I try to figure out what's going on with JakeA, because I've been burned by the Disco promo monkeys too many times; not to mention that the editing rarely shows the real story. 

However, I do think that JakeA is sometimes overly sensitive; we've seen him lose it with Edgar's teasing several times (hence the "girl" comment from Edgar didn't surprise me), and any sign of weakness brings on a shitstorm of teasing/hazing from others on the boat - guaranteed.  We've also seen him lose it with Matt, when they came to blows and were told the next punch would have them off the boat.  So if that happened again, I'd imagine it would be hard for Sig NOT to back up his threat ... unless it is because Edgar was in charge at the time and Sig is trying to undermine his authority.  Only time will tell.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 3:30 AM

With all of the discussion about Jake Anderson and his mental state and his departure from the Northwestern, I found the following post from a poster named flagger circa 2007 (around the time season three ended), which is strangely fitting: 

I also think Sig said it best that he does not want to get emotionally involved with the greenhorns because you never know if you get a Jake or someone who is gonna pull a gun to your head and demand to be taken back. (Talk about a scary story from After the Catch).

Jake might end up like the later it looks like.

If Jake does leave on bad terms, it would be interesting to see if Jake's meltdown and firing causes Sig to become a much more frigid and less friendly with whoever replaces Jake or future greenhorns. Sig invested himself emotionally into Jake to the point that I wonder if he will think that might have contributed to Jake's meltdown (IE, Jake was so emotionally dependent on Sig to an unhealthy degree, that Sig's absence caused him to flip out like a child wanting his mommy when he is at summer camp). Especially if he also takes Edgar's side in the dispute between him and Jake if Edgar is the one who actually does the firing.

Similarly, if Sig does show some sign of shock that Edgar failed to keep a handle on Jake and blame him for driving him away (assuming Edgar fires Jake unilaterally or cause Jake to quit and Sig basically has no chance to try and salvage the situation before Jake moves onto a new boat), I could see Edgar throwing Sig's attachment to Jake in his face if Sig shows any sign of not liking how Edgar made such a major decision without consulting him. That Sig got to close to Jake and Jake exploited it to his advantage and Edgar rightfully did the "hard thing" and fired Jake so that it would be done cause Sig would never do it or Edgar doing it so that Sig would not have to do it himself, so he could tell himself he would never of done it if it had been Sig in Edgar's shoes. E

Either way, I do hope we see the fallout with Sig play out next season/rest of this season in terms of him dealing with Jake gone. Having shit become "business as usual" or "everyone is expendable" would do a disservice to the relationship between Sig and Jake for it to end and swept under the rug. Watching Sig deal with missing Jake (not to the point of singing "I've become accustomed to your face" but close) and him struggling with Jake's rookie replacement in terms of not wanting to get attached to him and maybe him punishing Edgar by making him do the heavy lifting mentoring, as "punishment" for losing Jake.   

Edited by BakerX2, May 19, 2013 @ 3:46 AM.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:25 AM

I'm going with editing blowing things out of proportion combined with Jake leaving to take advantage of a special career opportunity until I see different.  Jake's emotional and all sorts of random comments said at the wrong time could send him into a tizzy.    A few years ago he wished Edgar dead to his face and none of them flinched, where in the real world you'd probably be escorted off the premesis by security. 

People talk about Edgar now being Jake's boss, but he always was.  Despite how much Sig likes Jake, had Edgar EVER wanted him off the boat he would have been.  Matt and Edgar have been close since Jr high, but Matt also knows Edgar is not just his friend and not just the deck boss but a Boss, as in owner.   (That would have been an interesting transition to follow -- Matt and Edgar the two screw up teens, both working for Edgar's dad, then all of a sudden Edgar inherits.) 

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 6:03 PM

Adding to that notion; Jake Anderson could be mildly autistic or have a form of functional asperger's syndrome. Aspergers folk fixated on things, becoming absolute experts on it (to the point that the syndrome was once nicknamed "Little Professor Syndrome") and utterly devoted to a subject/task with single minded monomania. Also, some react very badly when there are sudden changes to their daily routine.

Jake definitely had his moments, but I always think of him as a sweet kid with bright blue eyes that you just want to hug.  This is weird because I am around his age, but something about him is so wounded (his life had indeed been hard).  I also kind of love Edgar, so I really hope that Jake and him are on good terms, despite Edgar's jerky comments.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

Wow. What happened the last five minutes? I didn't get what Edgar was telling Jake, that he was gone for nine hours. It sounded like part of that conversation was edited out.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

Wow......

I will say this: who would have fucking thought ELLIOT would be the sane and rational one on an episode where everyone is freaking out and losing there shit....

That said, assuming that Jake and his new workplace are indeed featured on the second half of this season, I would love for them to jetison Junior from the show to make room for the new ship. My god what a smug piece of work he is.

That said, Sig will probably be pissed off when he finds out what has happened under Edgar's watch this episode. Granted, Edgar did the best he could in terms of trying to keep order on the boat/maintain discipline consistant with his brother and all. But you just know that this is going to become exhibit B the next time Edgar asks to run the boat during crab season, even though Edgar was in a situation where he would have been chewed out by Sig regardless of how he handled Jake.

(his life had indeed been hard).

Trying to remember all of the stuff that has happened to Jake bad-wise in his life:

1. Failed career as a professional skateboarder, which directly led to....

2. About two years of being homeless, which led to....

3. Alcohalism, which he has dealt with on and off over the last decade

4. Chronically ill sister he had to help raise who ultimately died

5. Father who after retirement, injured himself and from that developed a crippling addiction to pain pills which led to...

6. His father being murdered by a drug dealer who has still not been identified or caught by the police, which led to....

7. 18 months where the police had not a single clue where his body was dumped at

8. Jake having to financially support his mother, who was left penniless with her husband's death.

tanyat

tanyat

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

I'm only about halfway through tonight's episode so I haven't even gotten to the Jake drama yet, I'm still stunned  - about Freddy.  WTF? He says he has a fiance and he's in love for the first time in his life while he's talking about his upcoming baby???!!!???? Last I knew from back in 2009/2010, Freddy was married, and I thought, he had been married for awhile.  What is going on there?  And what a kick in the teeth to the ex??-wife!

Edited by tanyat, May 21, 2013 @ 9:25 PM.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

Wow. What happened the last five minutes? I didn't get what Edgar was telling Jake, that he was gone for nine hours. It sounded like part of that conversation was edited out.

I thought it was a reference to the Kiska Sea offer; IE Edgar accusing Jake of vanishing to go visit the boat for an extended period that has made him a job offer, in terms of Jake already making up his mind to leave the Northwestern and that his surly attitude was him burning his bridges on his way out, because his new job was already a go. Which kind of would have explained Jake's comments at the very very end of the episode; that the Kiska Sea job was not finalized and that the events of the episode, especially once they return to shore and people find out what happened, could get the job offer revoked. Also, why it was edited out if it was indeed true (remember Jake said "he hoped people would still like him" after tonight's episode); maybe Jake did not know for certain what the final edit of the confrontation would end up like and he was afraid (wrongly in the end) that the producers would leave in a moment where Jake admits that he had pretty much engaged in the big cardinal sin of allowing himself to be poached, something that might be seen a full-scale betrayal by Sig and Edgar, given how poaching rival crew members is one of the worst crimes a captain can commit. 

Edited by BakerX2, May 21, 2013 @ 9:32 PM.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

Be careful what you wish for, Junior - you want to be a legend?  You are quickly becoming a legendary douche.

Floved the bit where Keith & the Wizard crew were "teaching" Freddie how to change a diaper.  That was funny.  I'm glad Freddie has found love and is having a baby, but if he indeed was married before, the "first time I've been in love" speech falls a wee bit flat for me.

Jake is an emotionally unstable fucking little baby, and he deserves to be thrown off the boat for his physical attack on Matt.  Yes, he has had a hard, hard life, but the Northwestern has been his rock and surrogate family throughout it all, and he loses his shit a little too often for it to be anything but his own problem.  I wouldn't have him running my boat for this very reason.  Nick is a level-headed old-timer who has seen it all, and when he thinks Jake has lost his shit and has emotional problems, I defer to his judgment.

BakerX2

BakerX2

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

For what it's worth, regarding Freddie, it's a running joke that divorce is common amongst crab fishermen in terms of failed marriages. Did he have kids from his first marriage? The episode seemed to imply that it was his first child, which makes the divorce and announcement less icky if his excitement is largely driven by first time fatherhood.

That reminds me, we need a screen cap of the shot of Jake (wearing white plastic gloves, hands over his face) with the subtitle dialogue basically saying "he had emotional problems" overtop said image of Jake looking like a deranged lunatic     

Telila

Telila

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

I really wonder how Sig will react to all of this. One of the things Sig kept saying is he liked the operation the way it was, one trip out and Sig has his back up deckboss fired! I do agree that Jake overreacted but I think Edgar was pushing them pretty hard too. I think Edgar makes a point to push Jake's buttons, at times I have thought Edgar was jealous of Jake.

I do hope that the Kiska Sea opportunity works out for Jake, with Edgar taking captain duties it really didn't look like jake would move to the wheelhouse anytime soon. 

Scotty did a good job going thru False Pass. 

Jr continues to reinforce my opinion of him. I thought Elliott hit the nail on the head with his comments about Jr. 

I was surprised by Freddie's comments also. Last I knew, about 2 years ago he was married to a pretty blond named Vanessa. 

I really don't look forward to seeing the CM on DC next year. The last time the boat was on DC I kept thinking Phil would be so pissed by the way his sons behaved with Derrick Ray. But I agree, if they show the Kiska Sea and CM next year, I would vote for the Seabrooke and Cape Caution to b cut to make room for the KS and CM