Deadliest Catch

• Please log in to reply

7169 replies to this topic

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Well so far JTMacc99 it looks like you're right on the money. There wasn't much TB at all and Jake certainly wasn't featured on the NW. I'd be grateful if they kept that going.

I'm not a big fan of the Ramblin Rose setting down on the Seabrooke. Especially because it ruins the fishing for both boats. Although I suppose the setting down boat figures half a pot is better than none. I'm not surprised Elliot did it though, Junior did a horrendous job of trying to throw him off the track by not answering him when he called. Of course he knew something would be up.

I just loved seeing the NW get hot. Most seasons they've had to grind it out, it's nice to see them have a hot streak for a change. And I'm glad that their hydraulic issue appears not to have been serious. Hope it stays that way!

Edited by SanLynn, Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:00 PM.

Character Zero

Character Zero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

Man the RR got busted. How did he not see the Seabrooke bags when he was dropping his pots? And then the excuse that I hate (paraphrase) "well he doesn't own the spot". But from what I understand there are some unwritten rules and respect to not set on top of someone else's pots. I could see if a captain had moved on coming in and seeing what was left, but not while they are still fishing. It also seems that sometimes captains will talk about their spot, like it was known that only they fish there, not sure about that though. Something is just off about the RR captain, he totally looks like a guy that would watch the boat patterns to see where to set instead of actually doing to work of fishing.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

Junior did a horrendous job of trying to throw him off the track by not answering him when he called.

I always wondered how that worked. I mean, in calm weather, they don't call a guy up to the wheelhouse to cover the radios while they go to the bathroom, or get some coffee, or even go out on deck to look at a hydraulic problem. So unless you keep calling every 5 mins for a half hour, how would you know somebody was ignoring you versus fixing a ham sandwich or yelling at his brother about walruses?

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

I watched the special after DC about the fights and laughed when Edgar said they all were "The Real Housewives of the Bering Sea."

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

So glad to see the show back on. Did not know much I missed it until I watched it over the last few weeks. Missed all the boats, captains and crews. Even the TB. Missed the opening. Missed MRs voice.

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Derrick had every right to go after Jake for pot-smoking, but it was a strategic error. At least in the court of public opinion, it gave his detractors something to grasp: the notion that he was a zealous hard-ass. And it distracted from the core issue: that the Harrises were being insubordinate prima donnas. The facts were clearly on Derrick's side--his authority, the owner's and captains' trusts in his experience, the difficulties of blue crab fishing, and later, the Harrises' behavior on After the Catch--but he condensed it all down to Jake being a pothead. Next time, Derrick, let them implode.

A big hallelujah from the chorus on this one.

You do NOT drink or do drugs on a working boat. Even without the potential of the Coasties seizing the vessel, a drunk or high person could easily hurt themselves or others.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

I think I might have watched the first one or two episodes last season, but that was it. I didn't see the whole Harris Brothers douchbag fiesta, thankfully. I'm giving this season a chance, but who knows how long that will last.

I didn't mind either Harris brother last night. Maybe they actually learned something after the fall out of last season. For all their lying about not having the money to take out the Cornelia Marie, we know the truth and I'd have to guess it wasn't too pretty after the last seasons ended and they had their asses handed to them. If they had to jump on to existing crews, it does seem they are each on the right boat. Well, Jake anyway. Josh would have been okay anywhere. Jake would have been too comfortable on the TB and neither Andy nor Johnathan are the best influences for him. I was disappointed to see both of them sucking on the real cigarettes again. Not that I'm a huge fan of the electronic ones, I call my sister's her crack pipe, they are much better than the real things.

How Keith hasn't killed a deckhand yet is beyond me. The man is a friggen accident waiting to happen. He knew he wasn't fishing reds, why let them load almost everything, risking injury and wasting energy to tell them to switch it all. I've long complained about him being an idiot, but this was beyond stupid. There's a reason he has such a high turnover and it's him.

I didn't see the whole Edgar break thing last year, but I'm feeling sorry for the guy. I get Sig thinks he's a whiner, but Sig seems to think his brothers should kill themselves for him and the family name. He wants them on deck, but it's not his body being beat to hell. When Sig was out there it was derby style and they were out for days or a week, not this month or more style. And maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Sig has been in the wheel house for ages, leaving the deck well before he was Edgar's current age. Edgar tries and tries to get Sig to see he's not happy, but Sig plays it off and ignores him. Sooner or later Edgar is going to snap, I only hope it doesn't result in him cutting himself off from Sig.

Wild Bill still amuses me. And I'm still digging the hair.

Junior seems pretty cool and I do get the sense he could be one of the next generation of legendary captains. Elliot, not so much. I remember liking him in the few episodes I watched last year, but I've gathered he's a tool. And want I saw last night with him putting his pots right on top of Junior's, he's also sleazy. That's just such a low move.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Sooner or later Edgar is going to snap, I only hope it doesn't result in him cutting himself off from Sig.

When Sig said last night "we need to find you a boat" I had a little fantasy of the Hanssens buying another boat and starting a family fleet. Sig can captain the Northwestern and Edgar the new boat. Then reality hit. It's a struggle to keep one boat going. And if there is no king crab season for the next year or two (time to break out the Barry White for the crabs to get in the mood), it will be even harder to make a living at this. That just scared me. Not that we won't have a show. This is these people's livelihoods. If they miss out on one season of crab, how do they support their families? You can't live on love as Edgar so aptly said.

Nova

Nova

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

I don't really read a lot of articles, but from comments Sig has made, it sounds like Edgar has said he is done before, but then he comes back, so part of it is that Sig just sees it as inconvenient. ITA that he feels they should continue the family tradition, but since neither has a son, how does that work?

I'm curious, too -- does Edgar not want to Captain, switching off like the TB guys? He could do that and be engineer, right? They would just have to decide to pay another hand for deck boss.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I got the impression Edgar wants to be off the deck more. Not that I want to see Edgar and Norm turn the boat into a floating vacation like we've seen on the TB, but they've certainly earned some time off deck. He's said he gets jittery when he straight captains, but there's got to be some sort of compromise they could make. It was telling when Sig made the comment about finding Edgar a boat. Uh, hey Sig, he's got the boat, it's the one you are sitting in. Sig seems to forget it's not just his boat. Aren't all 3 brothers equal owners? Edgar does have a son, he's got to be in his early teens by now, but I'm remembering Edgar saying his son has no interest in fishing and Edgar doesn't want him to fish.

Plus there's the whole Jake A issue. They've all but told the kid he will be the captain of the NW one day, but how long is the guy gonna wait? Yeah, Edgar and Sig call him the kid, but he's like 30 now. Sig shows no signs of wanting to give up his seat to Edgar, what chance does Jake have? They can't expect him to wait another 20 years for Sig to give it up and then Edgar to take a turn.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:28 AM

This is these people's livelihoods.

One part of their job. The rest of the year the boats fish for other things. It's just that crabbing is the most dangerous and most high paying fishing. Alaskan fishing in general is dangerous due to the cold waters.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:55 AM

I think the best thing for the Harris brothers is to be away from each other. I think that Jake knows that the only way Josh will call him out regarding drugs, is if Josh himself knows that Jake is high; otherwise, Josh will defend Jake, as was seen last season with Derrick. If you watch the Best of Season 7, in the beginning Derrick tells Josh that if Jake can't pass the drug test, then he won't be able to fish and Josh was fine with that. But later when Derrick suspected that Jake was using, Josh got pissed off at him; I think that's because Josh feels he can tell when his brother is using, but addicts learn how to hide if they're using. I just think that work wise, it's best that they aren't together.

kattybiz

kattybiz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

Nova - I think Edgar wouldn't mind switching like the TB, but Sig doesn't want to. When I saw Sig and the TB guys in person a year or so ago, the Hillstrands brought that up, and Sig said "You have your way, and we have ours." And the impression was that the TB way wouldn't work on the NW.

Fosca

Fosca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

I suspect Sig won't give up the Northwestern until they pry the wheel from his cold dead hands. I like Edgar; I hope he finds a way to make things work.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

And maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that Sig has been in the wheel house for ages, leaving the deck well before he was Edgar's current age.

I think Sig's been off deck since he was 26 or something.

I'm not clear on what he meant by "we've got to find you a boat" -- he may not have meant BUY a boat, but just run one. Before the show, Johnathan ran a boat for somebody else during the crab season that Andy was running the TB -- they didn't share the wheelhouse until there were cameras in it. And they probably won't once the cameras are gone.

So if they could finagle a boat for Edgar to run (Ramblin' Rose might be looking for somebody!) they could get more quota and fish together (to the extent that you can without fishing on top of each other). I'm sure Sig's head would be spinning at the possibility of having one boat out continuing to fish when the fishing was hot while the first one went in to make a delivery.

The brotherhood dynamic of the Hansens is fascinating -- they're pretty codependent, and the antagonism goes back to childhood. From what they've shared, in Sig's mind he is the one who did everything right (in terms of taking on responsibility and devoting his life to the boat) for 30 years, as Edgar came and went as he pleased. It's very hard to shake the "flighty" label if that's your label within the family. On the other hand, he's obviously incredibly good at engineering and running the deck, and Sig is dependent on him in the way you would be to somebody who's not only extremely competent but also whose loyalty you don't have to question because it's HIS own business and money on the line. And, as usual, Norm is silent, so we have no idea which side he'd fall on in a power struggle.

I guess we were supposed to find the Wild Bill violence stories amusing, but they turned me off him completely.

ToodyWoody

ToodyWoody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

This is these people's livelihoods

While I understand this, last year during one of the seasons the deckhands on some of the boats were making 60000+ just for that season. So if you add in King Crab they make alot more than I do.

I know these guys play hard and spend their money and I know it takes alot to run the boats but being a deckhand and only working for how many months a year and making that kind of money isn't bad.

It's called a savings account, the guys should look into it.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

They may make more money than many people, but at what cost; and they only make money if they catch crab. Being a deckhand isn't a walk in the park and to me, they deserve every penny they earn and then some.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

They're also independent contractors and pay their insurance and social security out of that money. And often work for pretty low wages the rest of the year in low paying fisheries, because if you won't spend your summer on the boat tendering, and weeks before each season re-rigging the pots and doing the boat chores like painting and scraping and cleaning, you won't be ALLOWED to crab fish.

The key to keeping the boat staffed the rest of the year is reserving the crabbing jobs for the guys who are loyal the rest of the year.

Edited by kassa, Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:50 PM.

ToodyWoody

ToodyWoody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

EndoKe, I wasn't saying they don't deserve their money. I respect what they do and they deserve the money they get, but most of the guys just come across to me as they are broke, when it seems to be their own faults for partying and playing hard. If they would pay their bills and invest the rest or put it into savings they could live off of it all year, if I can live off of less than what they make then they can do it too and only work a couple months where I work all year long.

And it's like that where I work. I do the payroll in the trucking/oil field industry. There are bad months and the guys cry about it because they are broke. They make damned good money and complain when it's slow, when they should not be blowing their money, in case things go under or there is a slow week or slow month. Right now it's great, but next year or even next month the bottom might fall out of it. Same goes for Deadliest Catch.

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I think it takes a certain personality to be a deckhand, especially one on a crap boat. Unfortunately the trill seeking, daredevil, hard living trait that makes a person a good deckhand that keeps coming back for more, are carried over into their off season. Hence, hard playing and spending during the off season would be expected. But then there are a few that are able to balance both like Edgar.

ToodyWoody

ToodyWoody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I do understand that it takes a certain breed to do their job, but I worry about their families and when and if they get hurt or can't go crabbing anymore. I would hope that they would save money and invest or something just in case that days comes when the money doesn't come in anymore.

Could they get disability if they couldn't work anymore?

Edited by ToodyWoody, Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:52 PM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

It's a shame that it seems more of them probably don't save their money; but if they were that sensible, if they really thought things out, they might decide not to be deckhands. It's like many people who would do a job like that might not be thinking too much of the future.

Edited by EndoKE, Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:06 PM.

ToodyWoody

ToodyWoody

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

I agree, I can't even imagine how much money they all made before they started putting quotas on them. If Edgar has been doing it for 22 years and the money was great back before the show started, all I can say is wow. I know they all have bills but if they had invested it into anything they could be living off the interest and income property or anything to get them through when the day comes that they can't fish anymore.

Luv2Soap

Luv2Soap

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Well look at Sig. He's been a captain for 20+ years. I would think he made much more than the deck hands. You would think he would have amassed a small fortune, retire and let Edgar take over.

Somehow I think planning for their futures are not in their heads.

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Well look at Sig. He's been a captain for 20+ years. I would think he made much more than the deck hands. You would think he would have amassed a small fortune, retire and let Edgar take over.

Somehow I think planning for their futures are not in their heads.

Don't the Hansens also own all or part of the Helly/Hansen line of outdoor clothes and gear?

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

No, they have nothing to do with Helle Hansen. They used to do ads for them, but dissolved that agreement, I guess.

Sig has plenty of money and said several times in early season interviews that he had enough money to retire and do nothing the rest of his life -- he just loves fishing. Edgar owns multiple investment properties (or used to). Norm fishes so that he can take the rest of the year off and do his thing without having to work a day job. I assume their mom gets an income from the business, too, so eventually that money would come to them as well.

So when Edgar says he "needs" the money, he probably just means that in this real estate economy where he can't sell the properties he has, but still has to maintain and pay the taxes on them, he has to work to support that. Not sure if they're commercial or residential, but either one could be empty or bringing in less money due to the economy. Or he's taken up expensive hobbies, or his kids have.

Mostly I'm guessing he's just restless, and the amount of $$ required to keep him entertained on shore was eye opening.

Nova

Nova

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:47 AM

Didn't Edgar raise horses, then sold that operation? Horses take lots and lots of money.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

That was Andy.

mentalpretzel

mentalpretzel

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

I'm glad the show is back. But ugh, Elliot bugs me. At least he hasn't mentioned another 800 times how he's the youngest captain ever and ever. Every season I'm stoked for the fishing, and I even get into the drama... However, if TPTB dial back on the Jake and Josh storyline, I'd love it. I'd like to see more of the other guys.

I don't really think too hard about what the guys spend their money on, or why they're adrenaline junkies. I agree that it just goes with the territory. Hell, I'd last ten minutes out there before I cracked or accidentally fell in the damn tank and owed everyone a case of beer.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

However, if TPTB dial back on the Jake and Josh storyline, I'd love it. I'd like to see more of the other guys.

I think TPTB are dialing back on Jane and Josh. I think the Harris brothers are an example of why fame can be a bad thing. IMO they got a lot of attention because they were Phil's sons and were featured a lot on the show with Phil and the audience saw them fighting and their dynamic, etc. Then when Phil died they got more attention and I think that was a bad thing, for one, Jake really didn't need the extra attention as he's trying to stay sober. So maybe it's a good thing that they're deckhands on two different boats.