Deadliest Catch

• Please log in to reply

7164 replies to this topic

YepAndYeah

YepAndYeah

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

the hansens are known for giving many a fishermen alot of chances and that's what they're doing.. everyone deserves one.. i'm sure noone here has been above giving or receiving them.. also he's like family to the hansens i've read sig say this a few times.. if you don't get that.. then you're lying

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

i've read sig say this a few times.. if you don't get that.. then you're lying

I've got some oceanfront property in New Mexico dirt cheap to sell you, too. All these guys say things that make themselves look good. Sig is extremely well aware of the value of his celebrity and works to keep it.

Yes, Sig (and the others) definitely had an affinity for Phil Harris. But none of them would risk their boats and lives for any junkies, family included.

YepAndYeah

YepAndYeah

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I don't see what you're getting at.. Jake is on the boat..

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

I don't see what you're getting at.. Jake is on the boat..

Along with a big fat bonus check from Discovery.

YepAndYeah

YepAndYeah

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

yet it's been said many times that most fishermen struggle with addiction.. are all the other boats getting big fat cheques from discovery too?.. or we're just going to make up a fact that the hansens is the only boat that never allows struggling addicts on their boat?.. because despite some of the ppl romanticising fishing as some kind of honour bound profession that sticks to the some code when it comes to addicts.. history clearly shows the hansens have had addicts in their crew before discovery even approached them..

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

As mentioned before, there is a HUGE difference between getting high on shore and high on the boat. Getting high on the boat kills people and can cost the boat its license or worse. Getting high on shore doesn't threaten everybody's life.

Edited by Grimes, Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:46 PM.

YepAndYeah

YepAndYeah

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

yeah there is a huge difference.. jake made a mistake.. and fortunately noone was hurt.. but at this point in time the hansens have jake on their boat.. and given the fact that they know jake in real life and have more of an insight into his state of mind than anyone of us.. have worked with struggling addicts before.. it's safe to say they know what they're doing.. i like to assume that they gave him this chance given their close family bonds and promise they made to phil to take care of his sons.. i really don't see the problem with this

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:46 AM

I seriously doubt Jake A. would be on the boat if he abused drugs while at sea. Most likely he would have been given a huge dose of GTFO and never come back, much less even sniffed the captain's seat.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I think people are confusing Jake Anderson and Jake Harris. Jake Anderson, as far as I know, has been clean for a few years. When they brought him back from his first trip, Sig was reassuring Jake's father at the reunion that he hadn't slipped at all in port and had kept his head down and worked.

Getting high on shore doesn't threaten everybody's life.

Sig has fired Matt before for getting high on shore, because he doesn't want to cut the check that Matt cashes and overdoses on. Apparently his father did the same thing - would offer to hold and bank Matt's paycheck so that he couldn't blow it on drugs. The Hansen family has been working with Matt through his addictions for decades.

Jake Harris is a different story. I don't see Sig having any shyness about requiring 1000% sobriety (backed up by no benefit of the doubt whatsoever), nor do I see Discovery playing much of a role in it, except maybe sweetening the deal to make it happen in the first place (as they did in casting the original greenhorn). In fact, there's better "tv" in it for the show if they do catch Jake dirty and kick him off, so I don't see any incentive at all for them to keep him on despite any active use.

And for all we know (and I hope) he's clean anyway.

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Is the Ramblin Rose on again this year? The captain is even a bigger jerk than I thought.

'Deadliest Catch' star Elliott Neese accused of harassment via text

patroo

patroo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

This may already common knowledge, but for those who have Netflix, the first season of "After the Catch" is now available to watch via streaming. I enjoy those shows more than the actual Catch episodes, as you get more insight.

The sad part is to see Phil Harris, and how good he looks, knowing that in several years he'll be gone. I miss Phil.

We're also rewatching the early seasons. I know they've been marathoned to death, but it's nice to watch them without commercials.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

This is the first Season 8 promo I've seen, looks like it's going to be interesting. Spoilers in the article title as well as the article before the promo vid people, be warned!

Season 8 Promo at EW

The Harris boys on different ships. I can't help but wonder who, if anyone, gets displaced on the NW to make room for Jake. The douchebandit I don't really care about.

I haven't been keeping up with the chatter so I have no clue what's in store for us this year beside what's in the promo.

Edited by SanLynn, Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Woo, premier date on April 10th. Can't believe it's been 99 episodes. No worries -- that's official media so it's not a spoiler & I think it's been out there for awhile that the Harris boys are on different boats & which ones. Personally, I think it can be good for them, both to be apart & to be on other boats. I don't know how many more chances Jake Harris has to be a fisherman.

Edited by jmilazzo, Mar 13, 2012 @ 8:56 PM.

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

Last night my DVR picked up the "Best of Season 7" two hour special.

According to my guide, it's repeating on Friday at 9pm and 11pm in case anyone missed it.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

I watched the recap of last season and my blood pressure spiked again at Josh and Jake. They continue to badmouth Derek (who didn't come back to add commentary) and the show apparently will present the "story" that they simply don't have enough money to take the Cornelia Marie out fishing, and so they have to go their separate ways to work their way up to being captain (you know, as opposed to a disgusted Cornelia Marie pulling the plug on them and the show). They're taking Josh's side as the more cautious one, and showing Jake basically saying how their father wasn't ready when he was 21 and he just went and did it. Josh is shown saying that they have to do it right, have to work up to it, that they're not ready yet.

Most of the footage was from last season, but in the new talking heads, Jake does seem sober and a bit older and wiser, so maybe there was a little growth (or at least embarrassment at his own behavior, or more likely, surprise that he's no longer universally adored).

Jake Anderson has aged sooooo much in the last few years. I know part of it is that he looked 20 when he was 27, so we thought he was younger than he was, and time just caught up, but so did a hard life. He still seems pretty open and sweet. Hope he never loses that.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

On the one hand, Jake H is a little right. If you are too afraid of failure, you will never do anything. Sometimes, you gotta do the things people tell you can't be done. On the other hand, you don't just go out and do. You have to prepare a little bit, you have to have some sort of plan. Before the "Best of" special, they had a marathon. They showed Phil trying to teach Jake how to run the boat. Jake's reaction was "You are going to take me off the deck and away from my job, to do your job? Whatever." He had no desire to learn what it really takes to run a boat.

Josh may not be ready either. But at least he is willing to realize he can't just sit in the Captain's chair and that makes him Captain.

The bad mouthing of Derek has to stop. Although it is mostly coming from Jake who is pissed no one trusts a drug addict to stay clean.

Sig is not going to risk his boat and his livelihood just to help out his friend's son. No check from Discovery will be big enough to make up for the loss of his livelihood if Jake gets busted for having drugs on the boat. He may be willing to give the kid another chance, but it will be a strictly overseen chance.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

I wish Derek would have been there to give his side. I wonder if Discovery asked him. I didn't like Derek but there are two sides to every story.

hippobean

hippobean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

I haven't watched this show in a long time ~ all the drama with the Harris boys got a bit much. Did Edgar ever leave, or is he still plugging along with Sig?

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

If memory serves, Edgar stayed off the boat during Opies last season. However, it appears from previews that he's back on the boat this season, so I guess the answer to your question is Yes and Yes :)

hippobean

hippobean

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

If memory serves, Edgar stayed off the boat during Opies last season. However, it appears from previews that he's back on the boat this season, so I guess the answer to your question is Yes and Yes :)

(Edgar is my favorite :) )

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I watched last season's recap on Discovery this past week. It felt like the producers' were really trying to cast the Harris boys in a better light than the actual season did. Their dickish treatment of the first replacement captain was spun a bit. Sure, there was the drug baggie found and Jake sneaking away to avoid a drug test, but things were slanted to make it seem like the replacement captain was less than competent, Josh was calling him on it, and that's why the captain left. That's not QUITE how I recall it.

The overall impression I got from the recap was that they're trying to re-position the Harris boys in the viewers' minds to get back some of the good feelings we might have had for them at the end of the previous season. Wouldn't it be better all around to let us feel how we feel about them, then have their (hopefully) success this year change our minds?

Last season, Jake and Josh Harris were major dicks and their behavior on the boat hurt their own bottom line but in terms of their TV reputation and in the boat's landings.

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

sorry, duplicate posting

Edited by TerryMcT, Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:45 PM.

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

sorry, duplicate posting

Edited by TerryMcT, Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:44 PM.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:00 AM

Yeah, Jake. You were out there fearlessly fighting the Bering Sea. You were going for it. You were upholding the family name. Yep. Every freaking time you used drugs stolen from your pops, you surely were showing us how it is done.

Josh has always, always, always, had the "good boy" edit - until last season when he went off on Derek and on After the Catch and thus showed that he is just like his moron brother, excepting perhaps, using.

Since we have heard zilch about additional Harris boys' busts, I am assuming they managed to finish the season aboard their respective F/Vs.

I can not believe Disco will try to use the reduced quotas as a season-long arc. It was what it was. If a given vessel/ownership group couldn't live with it, they would have stayed in port. Simple. I'm not saying it wasn't a tough deal, but the tension goes away once the decision is made to accept it and fish anyway. These tough guys (or maybe not so tough) would whine allllll season about something over which they had zero control? Well, maybe our TV heroes might.

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

I haven't tuned in for a long time but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if Sig still smokes?

I watched a bit last night and he looks better. As if he did stop.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

the show apparently will present the "story" that they simply don't have enough money to take the Cornelia Marie out fishing, and so they have to go their separate ways to work their way up to being captain (you know, as opposed to a disgusted Cornelia Marie pulling the plug on them and the show).

Honestly, I wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean. If they were as invested professionally and emotionally in the Cornelia Marie as they are financially, and if they really wanted to captain the ship in the future, I would think they should stay with the ship even while in drydock. A season or two of deckhanding on other boats won't give them enough to run the CM. They won't get much additional experience on the TB or NW--they have their own heirs apparent to train to be captains. Had they stayed with the CM, they could have learned about the mechanics and upkeep of the boat; they could have met with mechanics, contractors, distributors ... all manor of people they would deal with if they were to become captains.

Perhaps Sig and Johnathan will be forced to turn their ships into elementary schools

ETA: I know, they're following the cameras, which Devlin want nothing more to do with. DC would have gladly filmed them taking care of business--repairing the ship--had the CM stayed with the show.

Edited by Bad Thoughts, Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:03 PM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

the show apparently will present the "story" that they simply don't have enough money to take the Cornelia Marie out fishing, and so they have to go their separate ways to work their way up to being captain (you know, as opposed to a disgusted Cornelia Marie pulling the plug on them and the show).

I always thought that Cornelia Marie pulled the plug because she was sick of the cameras as well, so I was a bit stunned when Josh said that he just didn't have the funds to take the CM out anymore. But I don't get why they'll be on the NW and TB. I enjoy watching the show, but I also think that if Josh and Jake were serious about wanting to run the CM eventually, they'd learn how to run the CM; I guess they want to be on TV more.

Now, I don't have anything against them for wanting to be on TV, and get something out of it but the thing with fame is that if you don't use it correctly, you'll be screwed in the end.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

I recorded "Best of Season 7" just to see what fucking fuckery Discovery would trot out next. Wasn't surprised to find Revisionist History and Selective Memory 101 in the forefront. No matter how they try to spin it, we, the fans, actually watched the entire season ... AND paid attention.

"The Cornelia Marie Legacy" indeed. I'm rolling over in my grave (and I plan to be cremated and unmarked).

I'll continue to watch to see REAL fishermen. Freddie is still my Sea God (as was Phil), and even Discovery can't sully that kernel of joy in my cold cold heart ... try as they may.

Nova

Nova

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

I always thought that Cornelia Marie pulled the plug because she was sick of the cameras as well, so I was a bit stunned when Josh said that he just didn't have the funds to take the CM out anymore. But I don't get why they'll be on the NW and TB.

Okay, so I can kinda see how 'didn't have the funds' actually means 'CM said that if we wanted her on the show, we had to pay for all the expenses or buy her' -- so maybe they need to save up gas money or are just addicted to the cameras, or are getting paid to show up on someone else's boats. But are the NW and TB just adding an extra hand or did someone get laid off? I can see the captains wanting to help out Phil's kids, but is there a need for extra help in going for blue crab, maybe, or are the Harris boys taking shares from the regular crew just when quotas are down?

Have the Harris boys been spotted doing any of the courses or other training we heard Jake A. talking about over the past couple of years? Jake H. seems to think you plant your butt in the Captain's chair and just learn as you go.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

Wasn't the issue last season with Derrick vs Jake and Josh that Derrick had seen a cameraman film Jake smoking pot? Or that a cameraman told Derrick he'd filmed or seen Jake smoking pot?

If that was true, then I can certainly see Cornelia pulling the plug, also if that was true it makes more sense that Derrick called the police. Derrick's not a stupid man and he would have to know that you can't arrest someone just because you THINK they're smoking pot. I've always felt that there was more evidence than just his suspicion.

Edited by EndoKE, Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.