Deadliest Catch

• Please log in to reply

7164 replies to this topic

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 10:27 AM

This thread is for the new series Deadliest Catch on Discovery Channel.

The show follows several boats and crews during the Alaskan King Crab fishing season. The narrator reminds us about every 30 seconds that thsi is "the deadliest job on earth" or "the most dangerous job on the planet"

They've pretty much come right out and said that some of the people being followed will not survive the season.

I think I'm so facinated by this show because when I was in college I used to see the ads in my college paper for work in Alaskan fish processing plants and on fish & crab boats. I never seriously considered doing it, but my roommates and I did talk about it.

I'm guessing this will end up in Candid Reality, but wasn't sure, so I'll leave it up to the fine folks at TWoP.

Edited by Echo54, Apr 13, 2005 @ 2:50 PM.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2005 @ 11:44 AM

Darn it, I forgot about this. I'm fascinated with shows about people who fish for a living, arguably the deadliest profession out there.

When does it air, or did I miss the first epi?

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2005 @ 12:36 PM

I'm fascinated with shows about people who fish for a living, arguably the deadliest profession out there.

I don't even think there's much argument at all. Here's a Money Magazine article with numbers from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics:
America's most dangerous jobs

Though Timber Cutters is the highest overall, Alaskan crab fishing is over three times as dangerous, with 400 fatalities per 100,000 workers throughout the 90s.

I'm going to watch, if I get the chance.

Britty

Britty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 7:36 AM

I thought it was pretty good, but there were way too many commercials. I think I'll TiFaux from now on. The older guy was falling asleep after 6hrs? Dude, what did you think it would be like? I was amazed at the film of the guy falling overboard the previous year. He was so lucky to be rescued that quickly.

It looks like a boat goes down next week.

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 9:09 AM

Doesn't the first episode for this season air Tuesday the 19th?

I saw last season when it first aired in a marathon and could not stop watching.

I used to go deep sea fishing when I was a kid and remember some times the sea got real rough. The swells were 20' and the boat would drop down between the swells where all you could see was a wall of water all around you. Anyway, this show reminded me of that except ten times worse. I could not imagine being on one of those boats for more than 10 minutes, much less a few weeks. Can't see how one could ever sleep! I'd be puking my guts out.

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 9:29 AM

I missed the first ep but it will get a DVR slot with me. (as well as catching the rerun before the 2nd ep). It's good thing this show gets more than one airing since the prime slot is against TAR.

GlennGlenn Here is the schedule for the next few days

Edited by Tonytigr, Apr 16, 2005 @ 9:30 AM.

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 7:50 PM

Many hours later now, I've seen the show and it does seem to have a heavy commercial run in it. It looks like the Fierce Allegiance greenhorn has to summon up some reserves in his tank.

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 9:33 PM

I caught it today as well, I turned on Biker Build-off and this was on instead. I think they want to attract veiwers by showing it a lot.

I just hit pause and came back a half hour later so I could zap the commercials. I did not think there was a lot, but I did not like them showing previews of what was coming after the break. Waste of time watching the same scene twice.

It looks interesting. The sea does not seem as rough this season. Maybe they will take the little boat out to the big sea later.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 10:33 PM

Oh, man, I missed it again today?!

GlennGlenn I believe that the second epi airs on Tuesday the 19th and the first one will repeat at 11 that nite. I'm going to have to catch the repeats because yeah, this show conflicts with TAR. Also (hangs head in shame) I don't have Tivo or DVR. Looking forward to seeing it but not looking forward to the million commercials you guys are complaining about. Grrrr.

I saw last season when it first aired in a marathon and could not stop watching.

I usually have a radar for shows like this. How in the world did I miss this?? I caught a few airings last year on either Discovery or National Geographic of Alaskan Crab Fishing - Deadliest Job in the World. Is this what you're talking about? That name Fierce Allegiance sounds vaguely familiar . . .

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 9:15 AM

I usually have a radar for shows like this. How in the world did I miss this?? I caught a few airings last year on either Discovery or National Geographic of Alaskan Crab Fishing - Deadliest Job in the World. Is this what you're talking about? That name Fierce Allegiance sounds vaguely familiar . . .

I'm guessing it was that show, too, as it was a 3-part series. They showed the 2nd part of Deadliest Season before the first episode of Deadliest Catch, but I can't find any more airings of the documentary. Did the greenhorn in that show die? I think his name was Kevin. I agree with everyone else -- there are way too many commercials. While I have both DVR & Replay TV, this show conflicts with TAR & House, so I too will record the rerun that night. It's a cool show, although I'm not looking forward to one of the people dying, if they are indeed foreshadowing that.

Edited by jmilazzo, Apr 17, 2005 @ 9:16 AM.

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2005 @ 9:57 AM

The greenhorn that went overboard in last season's three part show is back this year. He's on one gawdawful small boat to be out there with the rest of those boys.

Britty

Britty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 9:36 AM

I didn't realize that this was the second season. That does explain the excellent footage of the guy going overboard. Maybe they'll repeat it at some point.

I do have one question. The narrator keeps saying that no one knows when the season will end. Does this mean that the Game & Fish people can call it at any moment?

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 9:58 AM

The season ends when the fleet meets its quota for crab. Since no one knows when they will catch that limit, it's an indefinite time. So yes, when Fish and Game says, "You're done" it can come at any time.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 9:59 AM

The narrator keeps saying that no one knows when the season will end. Does this mean that the Game & Fish people can call it at any moment?

Yes. I believe the Fish & Wildlife folks adjust the season to account for the population of fish in any given area in order to avoid overfishing - removing so much fish from an area that they can't repopulate themselves in sufficient numbers. So the regulatory authorities can radio to fishermen at any time that the season is over. Once the announcement is made over the radio, the boats have to immediately pull up their nets and gear and stop all fishing. That's why these folks fish literally around the clock, even in dangerous conditions, since they've got a limited amount of time to hit paydirt.

My question has always been just how Fish & Wildlife would know if a boat continued to fish beyond the designated end of the season. Do they gauge it by a boat taking too long to return to port? Do other fishermen spill the beans?

Tonytigr, you beat me to it!!

Edited by AlmondEyes, Apr 18, 2005 @ 10:00 AM.

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 10:06 AM

My question has always been just how Fish & Wildlife would know if a boat continued to fish beyond the designated end of the season. Do they gauge it by a boat taking too long to return to port? Do other fishermen spill the beans?

I wondered that too! Obviously you are allowed to retrive your crab pots that are already in the water so I would imagine you can't launch any new pots once they call the season. For that matter, how do they know if you start 2 minutes early? I would suspect there is some aerial survielance involved.

AlmondEyes, I'm amazed that post was within 1 minute of my previous days post.

Edited by Tonytigr, Apr 18, 2005 @ 10:09 AM.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info on the greehorn from last year's Deadliest Season. I thought it might be the same guy as this year since they did have the event on camera, but couldn't remember the guy's name on this season's series.

Another thing I am not clear on is the comments made about how no one knows how the earnings will be split until after the season. I am assuming they mean that they don't know how each boat will do that season?

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 10:22 AM

I'm pretty sure the earnings go by "shares" as in a percentage of the boat's earnings. The captain gets the biggest slice, then the deckhands and other crewmen according to job and seniority on the boat, then the greenhorns. If your boat gets skunked then you just busted your hump for nothing.

Edited by Tonytigr, Apr 18, 2005 @ 10:23 AM.

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 11:32 AM

They did say how much crab is allowed to be caught and gave it a dollar value of $70,000,000 that is up for grabs. I know each boat counts the number of crabs in each pod (they did last season) and they can approimate the value.

The split is determined in advance, people aren't going to go out without knowing their cut.

So it is really the Fish and Game that makes the job deadly. If they found a way to prevent nght fishing, it would be safer. Maybe put a transponder on each pod?

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 11:52 AM

GlennGlenn, while the percentages are worked out in advance, the dollar amounts can't be calculated until they know the dollar value of their catch. Boats could hit the jackpot and have tons of money to split, or hit a bad patch and make very little. I imagine some catches could be so meager that they barely cover the cost of taking the boat out. Luck of the draw, I guess.

I don't know if you saw Perfect Storm (and if you're a fan of shows like Deadliest Catch you probably did), but remember in the beginning when the Andrea Gail returned to port and the crew received their checks? Bobby complained because he thought his amount would be larger. The crew didn't have a huge haul, so when the trip expenses and shares allotted to the others were calculated he didn't make as much as he thought. Maybe he didn't realize just how much (or how little) his boat netted, but it seemed clear that the percentages were worked out well before that crew left port.

Edited by AlmondEyes, Apr 18, 2005 @ 12:01 PM.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 11:55 AM

Someone linked to an article that said next season, Alaska is thinking about relaxing the time constraints, which they think will make the job somewhat safer. However, the impetus seems to be that the season is limited at the outset so there are only X pounds of crabs that can be harvested. Once that amount is reached, the season ends regardless of how much time has passed (assuming that there is no upper time limit, such as X pounds or 3 weeks, whichever comes first). Therefore, it is not the time limit of the season that is the problem, but the need for each boat to bring in as much crab as possible as quickly as possible. Extending the season isn't going to help anything as long as there is still a limit to the total amount fished as it will still be a race to get as much as possible before the limit is reached.

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 12:24 PM

I liked that the captain of the boat with the older crew was at least thinking in terms of ergonomics to reduce stress on the crew. That seems like a smart startegy.

Edited by Tonytigr, Apr 18, 2005 @ 12:24 PM.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 3:45 PM

I found the article.

Discovery Channel Embarks on Death-Defying Mission in DEADLIEST CATCH

Here is the relevant quote:

This dramatic ten-part series will document the end of an era -- what veteran crab fishermen are calling "The Last Rodeo." Because many believe this race against the clock contributes to the high injury and mortality rate, the frenzied world of crab fishing as they have always known it will soon change forever. After this year, Alaskan authorities will eliminate the traditional time element from crab fishing. A simple, slowed down seasonal quota system will go into effect and the ticking clock of crab fishing will be silenced. DEADLIEST CATCH takes viewers on one last voyage during the final perilously abbreviated season.

CitizenKang

CitizenKang

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 4:29 PM

Thanks for starting a thread on this! I was supposed to keep track of when this started for my boyfriend, but I'll just tell him, errrr it starts with a double episode on Tuesday the 19th. I'm not a fishing person but it looks intense!

GlennGlenn

GlennGlenn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 8:04 PM

AlmondEyes Yeah, split/percentage that is what I mean. That's whay everyone is working their ass off. No one wants to be the anchor weighting the team down.

I think MarkyMark was expecting more on his check without doing the math ahead of time? Right off the top is the fee for the boat, bait, etc... then they split it up. I guess he would be considered the lower paid greenhorn.

Well looks like the finally figured out how to save lives, so this is the last season they will have to work around the clock!

Wow, ten episodes, should be good. Hope they are not 1/2 hour?

Tonytigr

Tonytigr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 9:24 AM

I guess that was a good episode. It had things I wanted to see but I was really left pretty meh after watching the show.

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 11:30 AM

Not nearly as good as the first episode, and the previews of what is to come after the next commercial drive me nuts.

The biggest revelation from last night's show is that they are no longer implying that someone from the show won't make it back alive...they came right out and said it. Now I'm totally hooked. It's a little grim, but it's like a train wreck - I have to look (or in this case, keep watching)

rianaMartin

rianaMartin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 11:42 AM

All I can say is, Goddamn, I'm glad I'm vegan so I don't have the deaths of any of these poor bastards hanging over my head! I think even if I wasn't vegan, I wouldn't be able to eat king crab ever again. . .for me at least, it would be like buying blood diamonds.

Echo54

Echo54

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 11:49 AM

I eat crab legs once a year while on a fishing trip with my buddy and his dad. I'll still eat it, but I'm sure I'll think about who died to bring it to the table.

Now, for my morbid curiosity and impatience...does anyone know where I can find spoilers for the show? I've searched Google but can't find anything.

yama

yama

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 12:08 PM

A simple, slowed down seasonal quota system will go into effect and the ticking clock of crab fishing will be silenced.

Yeah, after this past season the Bering Sea crab fishery will go to an IFQ (individual fishing quota) system in which boats/owners have a certain amount of pounds that they can catch anytime during the season. I'm assuming that the number of IFQs given to each boat owner will be determined based on the boat's average catch over the past x-number of years. This will undoubtably make fishing a lot safer, but will also take away from what Bering Sea crab fishing has come to be. My boyfriend's brother fished king and opilio crab on the Bering Sea for 4 years and sometimes had openers as short as 40 hours where he made $17,000+. I think that's a big allure for a lot of people--short hours, big risk, big cash.

GlennGlenn, while the percentages are worked out in advance, the dollar amounts can't be calculated until they know the dollar value of their catch. Boats could hit the jackpot and have tons of money to split, or hit a bad patch and make very little.

Not to mention, they can only sell live crab. If they have to wait too long to unload or if the crab get knocked around too much when they're out on the sea, it can severely damage their catch. A huge catch can quickly lose value if it becomes damaged.

I come from an Alaskan fishing community and love the exposure/respect that any fishery gets from shows like this. However....other posters have talked about how creepy it would be if they're foreshadowing crewmembers' deaths and I definitely noticed in yesterday's episode (when they were talking about survival suits) they chose to talk to the captain of the Big Valley. That's a boat that went down during the snow crab season. I believe captain Gary Edwards was one of the men who was not recovered in the Coast Guard search.

Edited by yama, May 11, 2009 @ 5:19 PM.

steffj

steffj

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 1:56 PM

I so hate reality shows, but this one's got me mesmerized. I had no idea there was a last season, but do remember seeing a show on discovery about the worlds most danerous jobs. This was the first one, with several other professions that were deemed danerous. I wonder how many young men watching this show, will head out for Alaska to find fortunes. I work in a factory, we have alot of young guys out of high school working there, some their first and only job. There's ALOT whining about how long, and hard the job is, when is break time? blah blah.. I have been telling them all to watch this show.

Even if they slow down the fishing season so their not so rushed, it will still be dangerous, being out in the Bering sea, storms, freezing cold, falling over board, nothing scares me more than the thought of being lost at sea, but unlike Open Water, at least the cold will get you before the sharks. I don't know anything about the bering sea, are there even any sharks out there?

They keep saying someone isn't going to make it, do you think it will be any of the actual people we have been focussing on, or different people we don't really know?
The greenhorn, who's the owners son, what a tool, the other GH have at least trying, and the guys have been rough on them, but the owners sons doesn't look like he's busting ass, yet it looks like he's getting special treament.
Next week looks pretty good, looks like someone goes a little insane on deck.