Charlie Jade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

briiian

briiian

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 5, 2005 @ 10:17 PM

this show, charlie jade, is coming to SPACE in a few weeks. does anyone know more about it? anyone seen any video or anything? rumours are there's some pretty good CGI.

it's supposed to be about interdimensional travel. and a private investigator or a cop gets trapped in a dimensional shift and figures out that international corporations are running out of resources to exploit, so they're trying to rip off other parallel universes.

hmmmm...

Hegel88

Hegel88

Stalker

• Interests:Buffy, Firefly BSG, Dexter, VM, Supernatural, True Blood, Castle.

Posted Apr 6, 2005 @ 11:22 AM

From TV Tome:

Charlie Jade (Jeffrey Pierce, The West Wing, JAG, Boston Public) is a rogue private detective in a world dominated by greedy multinational corporations. When Charlie sees the corpse of a beautiful young woman he realizes she embodies the impossible: she has no identity, something inconceivable in Charlie's world.

While tracking her suspected killer, the trail leads Charlie to a secret desert facility. A massive explosion propels him into a parallel universe, our own chaotic twenty-first century world where he is both baffled by its differences and seduced by its similarities. Charlie is soon drawn into a conflict that not only involves his home universe and the one he now inhabits but also includes another, a pristine pacifist universe with unsuspected terror at its heart.

Three worlds... One hope

Created by Robert Wertheimer (Due South, RoboCop: Prime Directives) and Chris Roland (Stander, Man to Man, The Bone Snatcher), the series is written by Guy Mullally (The Lost World, Little Men), David Cole (Cold Squad, Due South) and Stephen Zoller (Super Rupert, Anne of Green Gables). Executive Producers are Robert Wertheimer, Chris Roland, Izidore Codron (The Bone Snatcher, Stander), Robin Spry (Big Wolf on Campus, The Lost World), and Jacques Pettigrew (Galidor)

Charlie Jade is filmed in Cape Town, South Africa.

You can get a trailer and more at Charliejade.com.

Ide Cyan

Ide Cyan

Posted Apr 7, 2005 @ 2:53 AM

I've seen the ads running on Space. They're going to air it in BSG's current timeslot after they finish airing the first season of that. I'm going to give it a try.

Here's the Space webpage for the show: http://www.spacecast...ejade/index.asp

Glark

Glark

Posted Apr 7, 2005 @ 2:56 AM

Charlie Jade? Stop using the cheesy auto character name generator please.

Johnny Cage and Max Power say hello.

Ide Cyan

Ide Cyan

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 2:09 AM

Did anyone watch the premiere? I'm afraid I missed it.

lagendyk

lagendyk

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2005 @ 12:02 PM

I watched the premiere - much to my regret. When it wasn't mystifying, it was stultifying. I'll give it one more try, but if the next episode is anything like this was - forget it.

Hegel88

Hegel88

Stalker

• Interests:Buffy, Firefly BSG, Dexter, VM, Supernatural, True Blood, Castle.

Posted Apr 19, 2005 @ 12:19 PM

The premiere was a bit hard to follow at times, but I think it has promise.

Richard Burns

Richard Burns

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2005 @ 11:27 AM

I'm surprised that there isn't more talk about Charlie Jade. That show is original and intelligent. I guess its limited availability is hampering the talkback. A person involved with the show is present on Space's forums and is giving some very good insight on the characters and the three universes.

I have to say that O1 Boxer is one of the most original characters i have seen in a long time. Apparently he is a child in Alpha, an adolescent in Beta and an adult in Gamma. He really acts differently in each universe. The only thing i find weird is that we got to know more about him than Charlie in the first five episodes that have aired.

briiian

briiian

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 28, 2005 @ 12:25 PM

yeah, it's hard to figure out how characters know things about one another sometimes. and when they're shifting to those in-between spaces, i'm not sure if the conversations are taking place metaphorically or not.

i think charlie and boxer are shadows of each other.

this show is kind of more fantasy than sci fi... especially after the first ten episodes. but i like it. it's ambitious. and it's trying to be relevant...

Richard Burns

Richard Burns

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2005 @ 10:11 AM

On the SPACE forums, we have a Charlie Jade writer that shares his insights on the show. It's very interesting.

I really love that they emphasized the importance of a natural resource as simple and yet as vital as water.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2005 @ 9:28 PM

I'm having trouble getting into this show, it's kinda dull. But I admit, Charlie and 01 Boxer are hotties.

briiian

briiian

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 4, 2005 @ 4:45 PM

hotties? i don't think boxer's very hot. although he does pick up a LOT. charlie is ok, but they're always trying to make him look so aloof. sometimes his expressions are a little overdone.

leethomson

leethomson

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 6:35 AM

Well, the season wraps up this weekend and I have to say that, after struggling for it's opening half dozen episodes, this show really found its feet around episode seven and has been absolutely terrific since then.

My only criticism is that the show has too much ambition. Certain characters and storylines have occasionally been given short shrift, which has been a little frustrating.

Here's hoping re-runs or DVDs are in the works, because Charlie Jade really deserves to be seen.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 2:34 PM

I just started getting into this show with the clip-show they did a couple of weeks back. It's kinda weird, because I just started reading a book where the main character is a world-walker.

It seems to have a lot going for it. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes when Space inevitable reruns them.

Edited to add: Apparently CHUM's A-Channel stations will be showing Charlie Jade Season 1 this fall. (CHUM owns Space as well.)

Edited by caper24, Aug 16, 2005 @ 2:47 PM.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 2:43 PM

I taped the two-hour pilot and the first episode after that, but they'd sat on the tape until I was channel surfing and caught "Through a Mirror Darkly", and it managed to keep my attention enough for me to go back and watch the stuff I taped. Charlie Jade isn't a bad show, but it's not the "Filet Minon" that the actor who plays 01 calls it in those SPACE interviews I keep seeing.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2005 @ 2:48 PM

No, it's not Filet Mignon... Heh heh heh... but I think it has promise. Might be one of those shows that really finds a groove in the second season (if it lasts through to a second season.)

Ide Cyan

Ide Cyan

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 8:09 PM

So... can anyone explain what it was all about, now that the season's over?

Richard Burns

Richard Burns

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 10:34 PM

I think a lot of people will have difficulties with this show because they are used to being spoon fed. Charlie Jade requires you to think and concentrate on what is going on. It's one of the rare shows that treat you like an adult instead of a child with a limited attention span that requires easy storylines and self contained episodes.

It started slowly but those who persevered were rewarded with one of the most original and compelling science fiction show ever. The choice of South Africa for the shooting made it visually unique. It's a lot less familiar to us than British Columbia which we have seen way too often. They did wonders with a limited budget.

I have two suggestions for those who haven't seen it:
1. Bug the hell out of Scifi channel to get it. It deserves to be seen in the United States.
2. Try to watch all the episodes and see them in order. You can't judge the show after only seeing one or two episodes.

Edited by Richard Burns, Aug 20, 2005 @ 10:34 PM.

Ide Cyan

Ide Cyan

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 10:44 PM

I have difficulties with the show because I missed all but three or four episodes. And I hear there are no plans for a DVD release.

So, what? Charlie and 01 make peace, and save the multiverse. Is that all? Was there more to get?

Jiminator

Jiminator

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 21, 2005 @ 3:53 AM

yeah, and in case you haven't seen starwars, darth and luke make peace and save the universe.

for everyone else, i have to say it is a really enjoyable show. the locations are great. I think it probably took about the 8th or 9th show for things to really start kicking into high gear (or become understandable), but it was fantastic after that. both charlie and 01 play such great characers.... I do hope they are able to swing a second season...

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2005 @ 12:33 PM

Is SPACE gonna repeat this show? 'Cause I missed the finale (got home late, didn't set the VCR) and I wouldn't mind watching all the way through now that I'm more interested in it. I still think the show's biggest problem was glacial pacing early on, it wasn't drawing me in.

jonathanacohen

jonathanacohen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2005 @ 1:45 PM

I think a basic problem (I stopped watching after about 5-6 episodes, which is plenty of time to give a show a chance), is that it didn't give the central character a goal to strive for.

Charlie was just plunked down in a new world. So what? He didn't care, just bummed around, and la di dah. His partner didn't even have any cases; how did that detective agency survive?

There were some striking visuals and great concepts, but you need more.

leethomson

leethomson

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 22, 2005 @ 6:52 AM

I completely agree. I was underwhelmed by the first batch of episodes - Charlie kept saying he wanted to go home, but there didn't seem to be any reason why he should. 01 was nothing more than a B-movie psycho. Reena was just, well, a waste of screen-time. But a new writing staff took over as of episode nine, and the whole thing just turned around. Seemingly overnight the episodes were a whole lot tighter, and the characters more sympathetic.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2005 @ 8:58 PM

A-Channel Ottawa re-aired the first episode on Saturday. So I'm gonna try catching it this time out. Should be fun, I hope.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2007 @ 1:00 AM

Just coming to this show via outside guidance, but I'm guessing, given the first seaon date, and the date now, that it never got to a second season. Ah well.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2007 @ 7:56 PM

Plus the actors have moved on, I saw Charlie Jade on the short-lived "The Nine", as the other bank robber. Didn't watch the show, but came to the conclusion that those were a hot pair of bank robbers.

teraelli

teraelli

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2007 @ 9:42 PM

I just discovered this show as well, and blitzed through all the episodes in just a few days. Slow start, yes, but very rewarding.

Why the hell hasn't the Sci Fi Channel picked this up?

Bobby Drake

Bobby Drake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 9, 2007 @ 2:27 PM

This just started in the UK last week on the FX channel, will be watching in the next couple of days but does look very interesting. The SFX magazine has just given a free dvd away with latest issue of episode one and i think behind the scenes.

teraelli

teraelli

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2008 @ 8:52 AM

I saw this several days ago and forgot to mention it here, but there's a report that Charlie Jade is coming to the Sci-Fi Channel. The article doesn't say when, though, and there hasn't been an announcement on the Wire.

Hagakure

Hagakure

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2008 @ 5:42 AM

Well it's ABOUT TIME! The official site is up on SCIFI.COM now. The premiere is on June 8th. I'm so excited!