Ring of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

11 replies to this topic

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Apr 4, 2005 @ 2:08 PM

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but given that Ring of Fire's a documentary about boxing, I felt like it belonged here.

I've been looking forward to seeing this documentary since I heard about it. The fight b/w Emile Griffith and Benny Peret changed the face of boxing forever.

details here

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

• Interests:Redskins Football, Nationals Baseball, Shopping, Movies, Marketing/PR, Reading

Posted Apr 8, 2005 @ 2:05 PM

Pretty interesting....
I saw an ad during Kojak. Sounds like it has a really good story, IMHO.

I'm there...

Subwayguy

Subwayguy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 9:43 AM

The article in Sports Illustrated about the fight was fantastic. I can't wait for the documentary.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 12:30 PM

I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I've been hearing all kinds of good things. Looks like we won't have to wait too much longer -- the premiere's only two days away.

Modacious

Modacious

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 1:02 PM

Emile Griffin is from my hometown and I have a problem with the writers/producers talking about him in the promos as being an immigrant. Emile is from the island of St. Thomas, the United States Virgin Islands. He is not an immigrant, he is an United States citizen. If they got that wrong, how many other inaccuracies do they have? People say the same thing about the basketball player, Tim Duncan. Tim is from the island of St. Croix and, like Emile, is a US citizen.

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 3:26 PM

Just because he's from the Virgin Islands doesn't discount the fact that he's an immigrant. The customs in the VI are quite different from those in mainland US.

Its cool the Emile's from your hometown though. Are you going to be watching?

sous rature

sous rature

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 3:39 PM

There is no way I am missing this show. I just listened to Bert Sugar spend the last half hour on Mike and the Mad Dog reminiscing about Griffith. Griffith was, apparantly, the one fighter who was most likely to be involved in anything weird or strange. The show is, Sugar said, going to be explicit about Griffith's sexuality and other behavior that sports writers covered up in the 1960s.

Modacious

Modacious

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 4:21 PM

Oh, yeah, I'm watching. An immigrant is someone who is not a native of the country he/she resides in. Since Emile is a US citizen, he cannot be an immigrant. I think Parrot was from PR, a US territory, also. But I do agree some of the customs, especially back in the 30s-40s were very different. FYI, after the VI was bought by the US they belatedly gave us citizenship, so in fact Emile could have been born a Danish citizen until the "proclamation" making him a US citizen. My grandfather used to brag that he was a US citizen by proclamation because he was born under the Danish flag. There is a big ballpark in St. Thomas named after Emile Griffin.

PS: I'll come back in after the program and we can discuss it.

Edited by Modacious, Apr 20, 2005 @ 4:24 PM.

infamouse

infamouse

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 9:26 AM

Did anyone catch this last night? I watched a good portion, but missed the beginning. Overall, I thought the documentary was well done, but it lost a bit of focus after the fatal Paret-Griffith fight.

I was also surprised at the indirect manner in which the filmakers addressed Griffith's sexuality. The articles that I read about this documentary seemed to stress Griffith's homosexuality, so I was expecting that to be a focus of the movie. The film seemed to dance around the topic though. If it was a conscious decision not to focus the film on Griffith's sexuality, I can see why. Griffith's legacy shouldn't be based on the man's sexual preference or the Paret fight. It should be based on his character. Griffith seems to be such a sweet natured man! Not someone that I would peg as a former boxing champ...

BillieJean

BillieJean

Posted Apr 22, 2005 @ 12:59 PM

I thought that it was great -- definately well deserving of all of the acclaim that it got after sundance.

was i the only one that teared up towards the end??

Subwayguy

Subwayguy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2005 @ 1:22 PM

You're not the only one.

lauri8

lauri8

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2005 @ 4:02 PM

If by "teared up" you mean "put your hands over your face and sobbed," well, yeah, I did that.

That was great, but damn, USA was atrocious with the sudden transitions to obnoxious commercials. I'm going to have to see this again on DVD.