Get Smart: Would You Believe…

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

71 replies to this topic

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2005 @ 11:43 PM

I just saw a new thread in the Kids show area for Inspector Gadget and it got me to thinking about Get Smart, since Don Adams was in both.

Get Smart was truly one of the great comedies of all time. And what's really amazing to me is how the comedy stays funny after all these years. I was born in 83 and started watching the show when I was young, and even at that point the show was 20 years old.

WannaBeBad2

WannaBeBad2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 1:03 AM

I was also born in 1983 and consider this show one of the funniest ever. It was my favorite comedy growing up.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 2:27 PM

Would you believe the funniest situation comedy ever made?

Would you believe the funniest situation comedy ever made about an incompetent but supremely confident secret agent? You would? Okay...

I recently read something in TV Guide Online about the show. They mentioned that Edward Platt, who played the Chief, loved the show so much that he'd come to the set on days when he wasn't even scheduled, and when asked by a reporter what he'd do when it eventually went off the air, confessed "Probably die a little inside..." ::sniff::

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 3:54 PM

Does anyone remember the origins of Hymie the robot? I have a vague recollection that he started out as an evil robot meant to kill Agent 86, but I don't remember how he turned good.

fernsehen

fernsehen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 4:35 PM

Would you believe ...

One of the most quotable TV series ever?

Agent 44, who turned up in places like glove compartments and mailboxes?

The "Cone of Silence" was referenced in Lizzie McGuire?

Mel Brooks, Buck Henry (later of Saturday Night Live), and Bernie Kopell (later of Love Boat) all were involved?

Canadian Tyler with the old "Just saw a new thread in the Kids show area for Inspector Gadget and it got him to thinking about Get Smart, since Don Adams was in both" trick?

I don't remember any other movie or TV series which had the opening credits seem to spew forth from the camera and disappear behind closing doors. I'm not sure if I'm describing it very well; if you've seen it, you know what I mean.

I was born in '61 and didn't really find it until syndication.

Max was incompetent; so were Siegfried and Starker and all those others. They weren't called KAOS for nothing!

SusannahDean

SusannahDean

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 6:39 PM

Oh, good idea! I loved Get Smart. I used to watch it all the time as a kid ('76), and then recently on TVLand. The Cone of Silence always cracked me up, the way they would lower it over themselves and then be yelling back and forth because they couldn't hear each other.

What always tripped me out was that even when Max and 99 got married and had kids, he still called her 99. We never found out what her first name was. Speaking of getting married, what was that flowery football helmet 99 wore at her wedding? It still gives me shudders.

woopwoopkitty

woopwoopkitty

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2005 @ 8:32 PM

<wistful sigh> I loved this show. I watched it when it originally came on, and I had a total girl-crush on 99. My big brush with celebrity is that one night in Westwood I sat at a table in a restaurant next to Dick Gautier (Jaime the robot).

Max was hot, but so was Chief in an older man kinda of a way.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2005 @ 12:28 PM

What always tripped me out was that even when Max and 99 got married and had kids, he still called her 99. We never found out what her first name was.

Somehow I'm thinking that her first name was mentioned once and that Max was surprised to find out she had any name other than 99. I could be totally off base here, but I'm thinking it was something rather basic, like maybe Susan.

I'm old enough to have caught this in its network run, and I still can't get enough of it. Cracks me up without fail. "Ziss iss KAOS! Ve don't [fill in the blank] here!"

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2005 @ 1:32 PM

In an episode where 99 left CONTROL and fell in love with a suave European millionaire, she gave her name as Susan Hilton. It turned out that Mr. Suave was a villain and 99 was undercover. Later, she told Max that 'Susan Hilton' was an alias.

I don't think we ever did find out her 'real' name.

quotidian

quotidian

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2005 @ 4:55 PM

Just boosting this up because I used Get Smart in a PC today and it got me remembering how totally awesome and sly some of the humor was on this show. And how this little bit of dialogue (cribbed from the Museum of Television and Radio website) has some real resonance today, nearly 40 years later.

This takes place between Maxwell Smart and Agent 99 in the episode titled "Appointment in Sahara." Behind the two characters is an image of a mushroom cloud:

99: Oh, Max what a terrible weapon of destruction.
Smart: Yes. You know, China, Russia, and France should outlaw all nuclear weapons. We should insist upon it.
99: What if they don't, Max?
Smart: Then we may have to blast them. That's the only way to keep peace in the world.

Sigh ad infinitum.

And FWIW, I refer to the Cone of Silence on nearly a weekly basis. Lousy work environment, but everyone gets the joke.

Edited by quotidian, Aug 24, 2005 @ 4:58 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2005 @ 5:00 PM

I loved the episode where Kaos agents hack into Control's radio, and pretend to be the Chief's supervisors so they can demote him and make Max the chief. Max promises he won't let it go to his head, then the next scene has him making all the agents march in a weird formation like a drill sargeant.

Also, the one with Sigfried's motorized island. Particularly the part where Max describes some horrible monster while looking through a telescope, then Sigfried looks and says, "That's a ladybug on the lens!"

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2005 @ 8:28 PM

Found this out the other day, and I was so excited - they're making a Get Smart movie!
Not sure if this is common knowledge and I've been living under a rock, or if it's new information to everyone else, but I'm pumped.
Steve Carell is set to play Smart. I haven't been able to find many other details, but lets hope it does the original justice.

chortle

chortle

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2005 @ 3:19 AM

I don't think we ever did find out her 'real' name.

You are right, we never did find out 99's real name.

Does anyone remember the origins of Hymie the robot? I have a vague recollection that he started out as an evil robot meant to kill Agent 86, but I don't remember how he turned good.

The delightful website TVAcres has a nice summary of Hymie's origin. I forget how exactly Hymie turned to use his powers for niceness instead of evil but I think Max just talked him into it, much the way Captain Kirk was always talking evil robots into exploding.

As far as I can tell, Get Smart is not running anywhere in the NYC area or on any cable channel available here. Is it running where you are? If so, where are you?

Edited by chortle, Aug 28, 2005 @ 3:30 AM.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2005 @ 11:44 AM

Do you all think this was the first spoof of the James Bond movies?

I watched & loved it during it's original run. It was definitely "must see" TV on Saturday nite. Never heard of anyone that didn't like it.

Denman

Denman

Posted Aug 29, 2005 @ 12:35 PM

Bernie Kopell was great as Siegried. Barbara Feldon is still pretty sexy. Especially her voice! I remember first hearing it on some bits for Square One TV. I could just listen to it read the phone book and it'd be hot.

Edited by Denman, Aug 29, 2005 @ 12:36 PM.

junebug630

junebug630

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2005 @ 5:09 PM

Loved this show. Even as a young kid I appreciated the humor if I didn't get the puns on the cold war at the time. "Would you believe ...?" should be in the vaults of all TV comedy gold. Everyone was so well cast and just came off funny. They got a lot of mileage out of the relatively meager budgets early on, but near the end the outdoors stuff actually wore thin with me. What was the agents name that had all the tight assignments? Still remember when he was in the ball return of a local bowling alley. "Max, forgot to duck" good times.
I remember another show they did starring Leonard Nimoy and the pool great Willie Mosconi. Mosconi was to teach Max how to play a hustler and Max roughed him and the pool table up so much , he had to quit.
Max:"Willie, I have a shot that will knock your eyes out"
Willie(smarting from injuries inflicted by Max) "I bet you do."

I was surprised to see that Don Adams is apparantly a close friend of Playboy's Hugh Hephner and plays cards with him over at the mansion on a regular basis.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

I loved his shoe phone. The theme song rocked too!

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2005 @ 10:46 PM

My community theatre did the play based on in about 10 years ago and they guy they had as Maxwell Smart was fantastic. He even said he watched every episode of the series. I loved it my favorite episode: "The Claw, not the Craw!"

Hilary Dickulous

Hilary Dickulous

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 1:07 PM

I'm sorry to have to post that Don Adams died last night.
His son-in-law, Jim Beaver, wrote the obit. He plays Ellsworth on Deadwood.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 1:49 PM

Don Adams is dead. He was the greatest comic actor the world has ever known...

Would you believe one of the great comic actors of the latter part of the twentieth century?

Would you believe he richly deserved his three Emmy Awards for Comedy and was much loved by his fans? You would? Good. Because I believe it with all my heart....

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 3:16 PM

Awwww.... a sad day for the world. Max is finally back with the Chief under the Cone Of Silence...

and loving it!!!!!

RIP

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 3:23 PM

I was not prepared to lose both Don Adams and Bob Denver within the space of a few short weeks.

They did a "Get Smart" reunion movie for TV (not "The Nude Bomb") probably fifteen years ago now, which I still have on tape and watch when I need a lift (and I will be needing a lift tonight). The humor was able to be a bit more risque than it had been in the original series, and my favorite line was when Max was chasing one of the bad guys and the guy got away from him by scaling a fence, leaving Max holding nothing but a pair of pants.

99: "Max, did you see his face?"
Max: "If that was his face, he had an enormous cleft in his chin."

RIP, Mr. Adams. You were a cherished part of my childhood, and you never failed to bring a smile.

rexbanner

rexbanner

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 3:35 PM

Don Adams certainly knew how to work the deadpan.

Get Smart had a pretty good cast, really. Barbara Felton was quite a babe and pretty funny, too, and the guy who played "Chief" was funny and oddly credible.

ld

ld

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 4:12 PM

Whenever I think of Don Adams, I think of sitting in our family room as a kid, watching Get Smart reruns with my dad (who introduced us to the show). To this day, it's an instant pick-me-up.

Mr. Adams, you will be missed.

Edited by ld, Sep 26, 2005 @ 4:12 PM.

Svenska Flicka

Svenska Flicka

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 4:38 PM

I loved this show as a kid. Very sad about Don Adams.

However...I do have to say that Mr Flicka and I recently saw a rerun epi of Get Smart, and we were really disappointed to realize that the show doesn't hold up. At least not the epi we saw.

Still, many quotable lines came out of Get Smart! And lots of great memories.

skeevo666

skeevo666

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 6:01 PM

I'm not sad because I know the Chief will be waiting right inside the Pearly Gates with an assignment for him . . .

Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 6:45 PM

Don Adams is a treasured part of my childhood, almost as much for Tennessee Tuxedo as Maxwell Smart. I think all the important reasons for missing him have already been mentioned so let me start with the lesser ones. I always hoped to see Don Adams on Celebrity Poker Showdown. The man could play the game and who would have been a funnier contestant? I have a royal flush, would you believe it, a royal flush? How about a full house? A pair of fives and a jack kicker?

Edited by Thrasymachus, Sep 26, 2005 @ 6:48 PM.

fernsehen

fernsehen

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 7:02 PM

Don't tell me Don Adams has died.

I'm sorry to have to post that Don Adams died last night.

I asked you not to tell me that!

I saw the news on IMDb today and was very sorry to hear it. Thanks for everything, Mr Adams--Get Smart, Tennessee Tuxedo, The Don Adams Screen Test, a pilot in the '70s called Three Times Daly, to name a few.

I'm with TudorQueen. I also believe with all my heart that he richly deserved his three Emmy Awards for Comedy and was much loved by his fans. He made it possible for people to conceive of a telephone that goes everywhere with a person.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 8:09 PM

I'm with all of you...Get Smart was Theatre of the Absurb for TV, and Don Adams was terrific (I also loved his voiceover work (Inspector Gadget? Tennessee Tuxedo)

Wow, Svenska Flicka, where were you able to catch a rerun? I didn't think it was on anywhere.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 8:22 PM

To my surprise, none of the obituaries so far have mentioned his early work as a hotel detective in "The Bill Dana Show", where Dana played his memorable character Jose Jimenez. That was Adams's first burst of fame before "Get Smart" and he was very good. He and Dana played off each other beautifully.

And thanks, Fernsehen, for mentioning "Don Adams' Screen Test".