The Closer

• Please log in to reply

9011 replies to this topic

Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

I'm going back a ways, but I wanted to respond to CatWithAxes:

I'm just pointing out that the argument that Pope as Police Chief wouldn't bring a lawsuit on his own department doesn't wash, because the machinations that set the lawsuit in motion started before Pope had any idea he was going to wind up being chief. In fact they started right around the time Pope's career was looking like it was at a dead end, to him. I do think it's feasible that he had a short span of irrationality, which is all it would take to set things in motion. Maybe he thought better of it all later, but once the wheels were turning it would be impossible to make them stop.

This got me thinking that the clues to the mole were in season six and season seven was filled with red herrings. Luckily they were reshowing season six on OnDemand at that time. I found the most important episode to be the one were Brenda shoots the mad bomber, and loses any chance to become chief. At the end of the episode Gabriel thanks her for saving his life, and Pope says he's going to update his resume. I think at this point Pope was extremely bitter, at the department in general, and specifically with Brenda. He also wouldn't be concerned with ruining his career, since he thought his career was already ruined. I can see him giving information to Goldman under those circumstances.

At one time I was really into spy novels, and quite a few of them discussed how agents were recruited. Basically you get someone to give you a piece of trivial knowledge, then use that to blackmail them into the information you really want. I think this happened once Chief Delk's death resurrected Will Pope's career. Basically he had to continue to feed information to Goldman, or Goldman would reveal his source.

The rest of my speculation is based on spoilers:

We know that Gabriel and Pope won't be in Major Crimes. We know that Gabriel can be self-righteous, and we've seen Pope be irrational were his career is concerned. (Operation: Swift Justice anyone). What if Gabriel finds out that Pope is the mole, and confronts him with this knowledge? Pope's entire career has been leading to this moment, and someone he would see as a sanctimonious ass is threatening to ruin it. People have killed for less. He attempts to cover up the murder, Brenda uncovers the truth, and has to arrest her former mentor for the murder of her protege. After the year she's had I can see this convincing her it's time to leave the LAPD. (I may be biased by my perfectly reasonable dislike for William Pope).

Zeubus97

Zeubus97

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

Oh my god,Sam Vimes, that would seriously bring the drama. But I think I kind of love it. I can sort of imagine Fritz's inevitable victory dance if Brenda were to arrest Pope, haha.

Edited by Zeubus97, Feb 13, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.

Zeubus97

Zeubus97

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

TNT has a new promo out. Nothing too revealing about this summer, but shots of the cast goofing around, and KS and Tony Denison being cute.

Slow Pony

Slow Pony

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

It's now official. The Closer premieres Monday, July 9th at 9 edt/8 cdt with the final 6 episodes!

Onlooker

Onlooker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

What happened to the new series? I thought the last 6 episodes with Kyra would lead into the spin off. Has it been dropped?

beagle mom

beagle mom

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

Onlooker, as far as I know, the new series (Major Crimes) will debut immediately after the series finale of The Closer on August 13th.

Auntie Chuck

Auntie Chuck

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I know I've seen all of the episodes at least through season five, but I sort of lost track after that. Can someone recommend which season I should start re-watching to make sure I get up to speed on all of the ongoing story lines leading up to the finale?

maiseybeehave

maiseybeehave

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

I know I've seen all of the episodes at least through season five, but I sort of lost track after that. Can someone recommend which season I should start re-watching to make sure I get up to speed on all of the ongoing story lines leading up to the finale?

Honestly, I would go back to at least Season 6, Episode 8, "War Zone". This is the pivotal episode that sets up the lawsuits which lead to the revelation that there is apparently a 'mole' in the division. And it is just a riveting episode.

On a semi-related note, I just returned from a week's vacation with my sister and in a matter of minutes turned her into a fan of Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson of the L.A.P.D. We came in from the beach sun every day at 3:00 to watch on TNT. The week started with their wedding and ended with Kitty's final days. Great stuff in there. Our favorite line of the week was during the episode where Provenza brings in his new, much younger girlfriend (the men's clothes buyer). Provenza suggests Buzz take her into the media room to watch one of his interview tapes, and Buzz deadpans 'Sure, I'll show her the one with you and John Wilkes Booth.' Love this show - will miss it a lot.

blue green

blue green

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

So looking forward to the return of the Closer. And I'm thrilled the spinoff will launch on the same day, should make it a tiny bit easier to 'say good bye'.

Edited by blue green, Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:44 PM.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

I guess we don't have a topic for Major Crimes yet, so here is some spoilerific information about the new series, including who will be "regulars" and who will be "guest stars."

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Since Fritz is returning and Brenda & parents are not (according to the new cast list), my speculation is that either she and Fritz divorce or she and her parents are killed in a plane crash. Either way, sad. So glad to carry on with the rest of the squad. Never cared for Gabriel, anyhow. No humor.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

The last episodes are only 6 weeks away, beginning on July 9th. I'm fighting the urge to look at online news articles that apparently have lots of spoilers.

Excited, yet sad. I'll miss Brenda Leigh and crew.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

Titles and episode descriptions at Spoiler TV. From this in the general description
Spoiler
and this description from the second to last episode
Spoiler
. It doesn't sound like
Spoiler
although it could be a deliberate mislead.

TeeVee329

TeeVee329

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Yay! Stumbled back across my all-time FAVORITE scene from "The Closer":

WHERE ARE PROVENZA AND FLYNN!!!

Edited by TeeVee329, May 23, 2012 @ 11:43 PM.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Nice little blurb on the show, plus Major Crimes.

No spoilers in above link.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

I could be wrong, but ever since it was announced that Gabriel would not be a part of the new show, I concluded that the show would take the easy and obvious way out and make him the leak. I could be wrong and actually hope I am but I doubt it.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

We are now 2 weeks away from the beginning of the end. I'm watching all of the reruns on TNT, and feeling nostalgic.

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I saw Clarence (or should I be saying Dr. Clarence) on an episode of Longmire last night. Every time he appeared I remembered the Kitty-in-the-pillowcase scene and the way he hit on Brenda later.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

It's Dr. Terrence, and I LOVE the way Sanchez and Provenza had to protect Brenda from his overzealous crush by standing in front of him forcefully and pushing him away.

WolverineGal

WolverineGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Right, Terrence not Clarence.

I loved the bit when the substitute ME was there. The two of them were quite a pair!

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I've been a fan of The Closer from the beginning but I have to say I'm thinking about not watching the last episodes until I read what happens here. I'm so sick of SHOCKING endings that I just don't want to bother. I used to put my trust in the writers but I think they will be so set on trying to go out with a bang they won't care about what actually happens to Brenda.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I've been a fan of The Closer from the beginning but I have to say I'm thinking about not watching the last episodes until I read what happens here. I'm so sick of SHOCKING endings that I just don't want to bother. I used to put my trust in the writers but I think they will be so set on trying to go out with a bang they won't care about what actually happens to Brenda.

caseylane, I already plan on not watching the 6 episodes live. I'm going to store them on my dvr until the finale so I can get the run down from the thread. I want to know who the leak is (I'm guessing Gabriel) before I see it with my own eyes.

ZeteticinTexas

ZeteticinTexas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

So, it's a matter of hours now until the Final Six begin ... and after thinking for a long while that the leak has been Pope, and then thinking Gabriel, and then going back to Pope ... for some reason, I'm wondering if it could be Lt. Daniels.

I know this is silly, and probably not wanting the Evildoer to be either Gabriel or Pope because either choice would be such a hurtful betrayal to Brenda.

However, watching one of the reruns they've been showing got me thinking that Daniels did have a reason for revenge here, she would have access to the files and stuff in Major Crimes and the actress hasn't got much happening over a the IMDB site.

Also, curiously, the final episodes show "cast" as only those who are there for the particular episode, not the full cast. Is this because there would be a spoiler if they were to reveal the full cast .... like (bwah - ha - ha) Daniels returns in the end?

I'm probably reaching. I'm also getting excited about the show - it's so well written and well acted. One of the best, and I'm so sad to see it end.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

Judging by the snippets TNT has been showing, as well as this article, I'm guessing that Brenda's father will pass away. That's the "loss". JMO

http://www.parade.co...des-teaser.html

ZeteticinTexas

ZeteticinTexas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

I'm guessing that Brenda's father will pass away. That's the "loss". JMO

Babalooie,

Sad to say, I bet you're right. Makes sense. Plus, looking back, some foreshadowing about dad passing away. Smart Babalooie!

myyellowrose

myyellowrose

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

for some reason, I'm wondering if it could be Lt. Daniels.

I've been wondering if Sgt. Gabriel and Daniels had maybe gotten together again and he 'pillow talked' more than he should have. She could fill in the rest regarding the first few years of Chief Johnson's tenure. That way Gabriel is the leak but not in the way we thought. Daniels really should have been angry at Provenza, I guess, but ultimately, it's Brenda's squad, and what's the old saying, "...a woman scorned"?
I will be crushed if we lose Daddy, but it could also be the impetus for Brenda to go home. Take care of Mama. :(
I don't want this to end. I've been on board since the pilot. (Is it Monday yet?)

Edited by myyellowrose, Jul 8, 2012 @ 6:09 PM.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

This snippet from a NY Post article also makes me think that Daddy Johnson is a goner. It mentions "changes in Chief Johnson's family".

In the final episodes, viewers will see Johnsonís usual fierce interrogations tempered by the comic relief provided by her bumbling but second-in-command, Lt. Louie Provenza (played by G.W. Bailey). There will also be changes in Chief Johnsonís family and, in two of the episodes, the reappearance of her longtime nemesis ó suspected murderer and rapist Philip Stroh (Billy Burke).

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...P#ixzz204kVTUk0

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

I would rather have Brenda's father die than have "changes to Brenda's family" mean something with Fritz. That Fritz will appear in the spinoff has me fretting over their marriage!

ZeteticinTexas

ZeteticinTexas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 8, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

I've been wondering if Sgt. Gabriel and Daniels had maybe gotten together again and he 'pillow talked' more than he should have. She could fill in the rest regarding the first few years of Chief Johnson's tenure. That way Gabriel is the leak but not in the way we thought.

MyYellowRose, that sounds plausible - hadn't thought about the "pillow talk" and that being a way of connecting Gabriel as the leak, but not doing it intentionally.

Where did Daniels get transferred, anyway? Wasn't it in the same building, just a different department? Same computer system and whatnot? If so, under pillow talk theory, she could find out lots of stuff if she had Gabriel's access ID info, etc.

YellowRose, this may not be what the writers have written, but it sure does make sense to me. Pillow Talk Leak.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

Spoiler

The above is from a Kyra Sedgwick interview with TVLine. It's the only spoiler I saw in there.

Edited by pennben, Jul 9, 2012 @ 12:52 AM.