Voltron: Defender of the Universe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

136 replies to this topic

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

• Location:Tennessee, in the middle of the godforsaken Red States.

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 8:23 AM

Man when is this show ever coming on again? Or to DVD? In fact, I don't believe I ever got to see the vehicle one since I was a kid... nearly 20 years ago.

tjreess

tjreess

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 12:38 PM

They remade it not too long ago. It was all cgi and looked like crap-pretty crap, but still crap-but it was still Voltron. It would be nice to see this released on dvd, if only so i can be reminded just how cheesy it was-just like my recent reviewing the original Transformers. And as to how much of an influence this show had on me, every now and then when I catch an episode of Power Rangers, "And I'll form the head!" runs through my mind. Ah, to be eight years old again.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 3:41 PM

However the original Transformers still holds up well. I just got a hell of a kick watching the "Return of Optimus Prime".

And I definately want to grab ahold of Vehicle Force Voltron episodes.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 5:05 PM

They remade it not too long ago. It was all cgi and looked like crap

Word to that. I hated how they covered their mouths with the new helmet design. It was like cheating since they didn't have to CGI them talking. Bad new Voltron, bad!

As for old Voltron, I remember thinking Lance was way cool.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 5:41 PM

I remember thinking Sven went down way too easily.

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 11:13 PM

Ah, Sven... he had the worst-dubbed-Swedish-accent ever! Even at age 8, I could tell that. But then, when he came back in that one episode, I was jumping up and down and yelling, I was so excited. Continuity in a cartoon!

Of course, I could never figure out why the Princess was the only one on the whole stinkin' planet who could pilot the Blue Lion. The last remaining member of the ruling family, yet she goes out risking her life every other day to be part of Voltron (and Voltron was always getting pounded). And I still think the Princess had the hots for Mr. "I'll Form the Head," what was his name?

As for vehicle Voltron, I saw it once many, many years ago and would love to see it again, even though it is probably very, very cheesy. I had a chance to see the original lion Voltron a few years ago and it was so, so cheesy that I laughed through most of it. I still love it (I have my very own 5 Lions Voltron model) but the cartoon has not aged well.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 10:25 AM

Keith was the Black Lion. Pidge was Green. Hunk (I think) was Yellow. Lance was Red. And Alloura (sp?) was Blue.

Yeah. Voltron didn't hold up well. Of course, neither did G.I. Joe. M.A.S.K. might have. So far, Transformers is the only one that held up well. Of course I was also a big whore for the toys.

And I love my all metal Lions Voltron. I wonder if it's worth anything.

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 6:50 PM

I wonder if it's worth anything

That's between you and E-bay. Anyhoo...yeah, I remember this show. I used to watch it every freakin' afternoon on Fox (y'know, Way Back When they actually had some decent shows). When are they going to get their act together and release it on DVD? There's gold in them thar discs!

Kris_AB

Kris_AB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 9:15 PM

Definitely wanna re-watch this on DVD some day. It's funny how we recognize this as anime now, but back then stuff like this and Astro Boy seemed like any North American cartoon to me.

Never owned the Voltron toy. Would be neat to have it now. Did they ever re-release a metal version of it? I'm pretty sure the plastic one came out again after its original incarnation in the `80s.

Watched an episode or two of the CG Voltron, didn't think much of it. Didn't they try to keep it in continuity? It seemed to take place after the main villain (or one of the main villains) had been imprisoned.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 11:39 PM

I have the Voltron board game.

It was Princess Allura, I think. Sven's accent was so ridiculous, it was hysterical. I wonder how that sounded in Japanese? One thing that always bugged me, because I hate plot holes, was that Voltron was supposed to be this ancient legend, but Allura's father built it. Huh?

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 9:27 AM

I have the Voltron board game.

Vermicious Knid, I remember you said that over on the Shows No One Remembers But Me Board and I'm still deeply, deeply envious.

On Sven's accent, I worry that the Japanese think the Swedish really sound like that. On the CGI version, it did indeed take place a few years after the original series (don't ask why I know this.... I'm a Voltron junkie, O.K.?!). The gang was regrouping after having spent a few years apart (I think), training and such. Of course, I know all this and yet I still can't remember the name of the bad guys (the purple guys) and the witch.

Perhaps the original Voltron was an ancient legend (and built out of mud and sticks or something) and Allura's father used it as inspiration to build the new Voltron. Of course, I still get confused about how the vehicle Voltron tied into all of this. That's why we need to have Voltron on DVD, now!

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 3:42 PM

There was a third Voltron too. Robot Voltron, Vehicle and Lion I think.

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 3:57 PM

The "purple guys" (their proper name escapes me at the moment) were the residents of Planet Doom, which was ruled by King Zarkon. Along with his scheming son, Prince Lotor, and the ever-cackling Witch Hagar, they sent fleets of spaceships (each with several squadrons of fighter jets) out to conquer the universe. If the ships and fighters didn't get it done, there was always a giant Ro-Beast handy. Unfortunately for them, Voltron always appears just in the nick of time.

And yes, according to the IMDB, there was a third "robot" Voltron, which was never seen in the USA.

[Checklist for forming Voltron]
Keith: Ready to assemble! Activate interlocks! Dyna-therms connected. Infra-cells up; mega-thrusters are go!
All: Let's go voltron force!

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 4:16 PM

Which cracks me up. A "Robot" Robot Voltron. Those crazy Japanese. Of course, I love old Voltron for a couple of reasons. No big giant eyes. And none of that tears running down the face or any of that modern day Anime bullshit like you see now.

Amaiko

Amaiko

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 7:50 PM

On Sven's accent, I worry that the Japanese think the Swedish really sound like that.

cstad, all the guys in the original Japanese Voltron were Japanese, not different nationalities like in the English version--Sven's name was Takashi Shirogane. The whole "Sven" character, complete with the hideous Swedish accent, was entirely the invention of the American dub. In fact, in the original Voltron, Sven was killed in the second or third episode, not badly wounded like the American version claimed. After they ran through all the original Japanese episodes, the American producers decided to make their own completely original second season--which is how Sven could "return" in that season, since it wasn't based on the original Japanese series.

Likewise, the "Vehicle Voltron" series was a completely separate series from the original Japanese Voltron. The American producers decided for some reason to smash the two together and pretend they were related when they really had nothing to do with each other; from what I've heard, it was because they had to cut a lot of material from the original Voltron and spliced in stuff from Vehicle Voltron to cover up.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 12:12 AM

Just like with BoP.

Vermicious Knid, I remember you said that over on the Shows No One Remembers But Me Board and I'm still deeply, deeply envious.

Heh. It has little cardboard Voltrons in little stands you move over the board. One of my more unusual finds. In my collection I also have a couple of kid's books with accompanying cassette tapes from the original Star Wars, where you can listen and follow along with R2D2 and C3PO's adventures. I used to be able to find good stuff at book and garage sales for practically nothing, but that was before people became aware of the adult collectable scifi market.

I do remember there was a kid on the spaceship Voltron who looked exactly like Pidge and was supposed to be his cousin. Wasn't there one or two crossovers with both Voltron teams? And thanks to Robot Chicken I know there were Voltron action figures, including the whole castle set.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 12:14 AM

server hiccup

Edited by Vermicious Knid, Mar 24, 2005 @ 12:36 AM.

Sear

Sear

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 5:32 AM

I do remember there was a kid on the spaceship Voltron who looked exactly like Pidge and was supposed to be his cousin. Wasn't there one or two crossovers with both Voltron teams?

Yes; his name was Chip. IIRC, he piloted one of the Air Team shoulder-copters on Vehicle Voltron; the one with the squareish design, I think.

I hearted the Vehicle/Lion Voltron crossover ever so very much. Finding out that it was completely fabricated by the US is a little disillusioning, but I still want it eventually. (And via Ebay, one can get it, and collections of both shows as well. Whee.) I remember the blending of the two series being rather seamless - really must watch it over again to see if that opinion still holds up, with my adult eyes and film degree.

Sear

Sear

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 5:33 AM

I see your server hiccup, and raise you a server fart.

Edited by Sear, Mar 24, 2005 @ 5:35 AM.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 9:38 AM

And I loved on Voltron that they managed to show emotion without that Giant Head screaming crap, or tears without them flooding the face like a fake waterfall. God do I hate today's anime.

jynni

jynni

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 11:46 AM

We were cleaning out my boyfriend's parent's basement and came across his old Voltron toys. It rought back some memories.

Like how my parents wouldn't let me watch Voltron because it was "evil" or something. I remember sneaking around on Saturday morning's to watch it. I was only like six and that ticked me off.

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 2:17 PM

God do I hate today's anime.

Oh, it's not all bad, but I agree with you on one point; the out-of-control emotion displays are sooo fake (SEE: "Amazing Nurse Nanako", for example), and annoying. Moving on...I liked the Vehicle Voltron series for its' own unique qualities. It was so flexible; You could send out a few of them on recon and not announce to the world "Hey, it's the Voltron Force!". It's kind of hard to conceal a 100-foot metal lion, after all.

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 2:39 PM

Oh, it's not all bad, but I agree with you on one point; the out-of-control emotion displays are sooo fake (SEE: "Amazing Nurse Nanako", for example), and annoying.

I started to hate it when they made Transformers do the fake emotions. A frown or glaring eyes work just as well. Seriously, the 80's cartoons were superior in how they drew the human form, writing, not so much.

No kidding about hiding the Lions. Though I always wondered how the red lion could really be hurt too badly when... I dunno it's home base was IN LAVA.

cstad

cstad

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2005 @ 8:08 PM

Well, color me amazed. Here I thought I knew something about Voltron and I knew nothing! (cstad hangs her head in shame) I feel like I did when I learned that Robotech was actually three cartoons cobbled together into one. (Yes, I know that should have been very obvious, but at the time I hadn't put two and two together. Or one and one and one, as it were.) Yet again, I learn that one of my favorite childhood shows is actually cobbled together out of bits of different Japanese cartoons.
One of these days, I'm going to track down the original Japanese versions just to see what they were like before the American execs. hacked them apart. This also begs the question, what executive actually approved that horrible dub of Sven? Or even Sven's name? And what's up with Hunk? Hunk? Pidge? Why not call them George? Or Sean? Something a little less stupid?

Hannibal Khan

Hannibal Khan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2005 @ 1:38 AM

Those Japanese cartoons were certainly superior to today's. At least in emoting.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 4:15 AM

I remember thinking Lance was way cool.

Ohhhh, yes. I totally agree with that.

But back then I was kinda jumbled up with the colors of the lions. I thought Lance was riding the blue Lion because of his uniform was blue. But he was riding the red lion, right? Princess was the one who rides blue Lion, and Keith was riding the black Lion....And then they were kinda screw it up with the CGI Voltron where Lance has red uniform and I thought he was Keith. Grrrr...

suntzu

suntzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 1:19 PM

But he was riding the red lion, right? Princess was the one who rides blue Lion, and Keith was riding the black Lion....And then they were kinda screw it up with the CGI Voltron where Lance has red uniform and I thought he was Keith. Grrrr...

Maybe we need to call in the "Queer Eye" hit squad to straighten these guys out (er, so to speak).

Edited by suntzu, Apr 12, 2005 @ 1:20 PM.

Sear

Sear

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 6:52 PM

Original Voltron:

Keith - red uniform - Black Lion
Lance - blue uniform - Red Lion
Pidge - green uniform - Green Lion
Sven - black uniform - Blue Lion
Princess Allura - pink uniform - Blue Lion
Hunk - orange uniform - Yellow Lion

The CGI show matched the uniform colors to the lion colors.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Apr 13, 2005 @ 8:24 AM

Thanks!

Back then I thought there was unwritten rules or somekind about Sentai or those group heroes because there were so many of them. I mean Voltus V, Goggle Five, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, etc have those rules, like;

The leader wears red, the second leader are either black or blue, the comic (usually big) guy wears yellow, the little kid could wear blue or green, and lastly the girl wears pink.The leader usually calm and wise but heroic, the second leader (or my friend just stated; the sidekick!) usually witty, sarcastic and coooool, the girl dated the leader or have a love triangle with the sidekick,and the rest of them are just there...:))

I mean, anyone remembers Saber Rider and The Star Sherrifs?

But still Voltron:Defender Of Universe Lions version would be my all time favorite. Anyone remember the last episode of the Lion season was?

CaliSerenity

CaliSerenity

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2005 @ 11:14 PM

The leader wears red, the second leader are either black or blue, the comic (usually big) guy wears yellow, the little kid could wear blue or green, and lastly the girl wears pink.

When I was very young (not in the U.S., I think) I watched a Japanese sentai series, I think called Bioman, that the U.S. Power Rangers followed their "color rules" pretty closely in that the red was the leader and the 2 girls were the pink and yellow. The pink one was girlier than the yellow one and might have dated more (I don't remember). They called themselves by color and #: Red 1, Green 2, Blue 3, Yellow 4, Pink 5. Weird that I remember all that!

in the original Voltron, Sven was killed in the second or third episode . . . the American producers decided to make their own completely original second season--which is how Sven could "return" in that season

Know what? I could have sworn I read somewhere that in the original Japanese, it was Sven's younger brother who came back and took over Sven's role, but in the American version they just decided to make him Sven since they didn't have him die in the American version in the first place (do we really need to tag this?). I promise I read that somewhere. I dunno where, though.

Edited by CaliSerenity, May 18, 2005 @ 11:25 PM.