Give it a Walk: The Best Episode of L&O

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

195 replies to this topic

Tick Tock

Tick Tock

Posted Mar 19, 2005 @ 11:43 PM

Its hard for me to pick just one, but "Mad Dog" sure comes close.

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2005 @ 11:16 AM

This is very, very hard. Maybe "Virtue" about Munchausen by proxy?

BanjoSteve

BanjoSteve

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2005 @ 1:50 PM

"Mad Dog" kicked a lot of ass, but I'd have to go with "Blood", about the black guy who was passing, and his ex-wife killed his current wife so the secret wouldn't get out. Great twists: first you think the guy killed his wife because she cheated on him with a black man. Then you find out he's the black man, and think he killed her to keep the secret from coming out. Then you find out it was the ex-wife, because she's a racist, and then you find out she's so racist that she wanted to disown her own son because he was half-black. It's great at the end when the ex-wife's black lawyer finds this out and is so disgusted with her.

I also liked the one about the guy who killed his best friend to steal his wife and his friend's mom hires tries to hire Lenny to kill him.

culturevulture73

culturevulture73

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2005 @ 4:33 PM

Oh, love this question. Since everyone's picking from seasons past the early years, I'll jump in with some early years' nominees:

"Profile" the serial killer ep from season 4, with another lawyer McCoy, this time James Earl Jones. This one is terrific from the getgo--great moments with Mike and Lennie (including the hysterical undercover bit with Mike as the street person and VB saying she'll put on her fishnets to join the group), Ben and Claire moments (Claire yelling "Ben!" to stop him from getting contempt), and a terrific witness, Mr. Jackson, who identifies the bad guy by his voice.

"Promises to Keep" from season 3, just because it twists and turns and Lindsey Crouse is creepy as hell as the manipulating psychologist, and Mike and Lennie have a run of fun moments (from the beginning where they insult the clueless uniform through Lennie kicking the table out from under the suspect in the interrogation room).

codgertwo

codgertwo

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 20, 2005 @ 5:58 PM

I liked "Double Down". That was L&O at its best. Riveting hostage situation and multiple twists and double crosses by both the defense and the prosecution. Good performances too. It just goes to show what they can do when they have both great writing and great acting.

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 4:15 PM

It's not the best, but "Misconception" in season two has some of the juiciest plot twists ever. There's a new character to dislike every ten minutes!

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 5:01 PM

I love that one! And it was nice that the woman in question, who had her fetus killed, was evil, but in a normal defendant way, not a "she's a bad bad eeeeevil woman" way, the way she's be depicted if this was post-season 6, or on SVU
It's funny how outdated that episode is now though. With modern DNA technology the whole thing would be 15 minutes long.

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 3:35 PM

I haven't seen a whole lot of episodes, but "Pride and Joy" is one of my favorites. It takes a standard crime show plot (parent abuses child) and turns it on its head. I remember just reading the episode description and saying out loud, "Hot damn!"

Now that was when the show was original.

Tick Tock

Tick Tock

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 6:07 AM

Its funny that you mention "Pride and Joy." That was the first L&O episode I ever saw at two in the morning. It hooked me!

Ironic that I picked "Mad Dog" as one of my favorites, but its post Season 6 and I think the shark got jumped at the end of the sixth season. Other candidates:

"Indifference" about the abusive rich parents. That episode is the definition of gritty. The follow-up to it 14 years later only shows how bad the show is now.

"Conspiracy" because we never find out who did it. Back in the days when the bad guys sometimes got away with it and the twists weren't nearly as cliche.

"Confession" Logan owns this episode!

"Bad Faith" which Logan also owns. His little monologue to the priest in the final scene played perfectly. "We called you father. How could you do that to us?"

"Trophy" because McCoy had it coming sooner or later. That was the cool old cut-throat McCoy that I so dearly miss.

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2005 @ 2:17 PM

Most of my picks are in the early seasons. Number 1 with me is "Working Stiff" with Eli Wallach. I also like "Animal Instinct" with Francis Fisher, "The Blue Wall" with Robert Lansing, "American Dream" with Phillip Swann, and, of course, the 2-part saga of the Masuchi family, "Torrents of Greed," with Stephen McHattie, Christine Baranski, and Charles Cioffi. To me, these episodes are especially well written and acted.

Sazzat

Sazzat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 1, 2005 @ 12:03 AM

For sheer creepiness, I'd vote for "Fools for Love" (season ten) -- the one with the girl who kills her sister for her boyfriend. Her total lack of affect just makes me shiver.

Curare

Curare

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2005 @ 2:11 AM

Indifference was all kinds of fucked up. I just remember that scene when the mother has the boiling pot of water and is about to place her son's hand in when Logan and Max enter. Man, that child looked so freaked. I know I was.

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2005 @ 2:40 AM

Oh, and the last line! When the creepy, disturbed mother is calling out "pookie?" to her husband as he's being taken to jail.

Tick Tock

Tick Tock

Posted Apr 5, 2005 @ 9:19 AM

After lots of thinking, I have to say that "Sanctuary," is probably the best episode of all time. It had everything that used to make L&O great. It had hot button issues, Shambala Green, Logan getting rough with a suspect and an ending that was not clear-cut and cliché.

NP33

NP33

Posted Apr 11, 2005 @ 7:37 PM

What about Refuge, Aftershock, and Monster those are my top three.

BostonTeaParty

BostonTeaParty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 1:04 PM

For sheer creepiness, I'd vote for "Fools for Love" (season ten) -- the one with the girl who kills her sister for her boyfriend. Her total lack of affect just makes me shiver.

Sazzat that episode was based on this case in Canada. Yikes. American Justice had a totally kickass episode about the incident and it included some truly disturbing footage of Karla acting like a fairy princess at her wedding just days after she and her husband-to-be killed her sister. Creepy.

I loved the Law and Order episode that followed the cops through several investigations.

Oh, and word to Tick Tock's 'Mad Dog' pick. I looooooove Sam Waterston.

Edited by BostonTeaParty, Apr 12, 2005 @ 1:09 PM.

pithy

pithy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2005 @ 4:24 PM

I think Censure is my favorite. It has a ton of great lines (as witnessed in the great lines thread) and has Kincaid in a leather jacket, and the complete humiliation of a scummy dude (Judge Thayer). Great ep.

Camanda

Camanda

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV, Red Sox, Dodgers, Bruins, books, sleeping, reading, writing, eating

Posted Apr 23, 2005 @ 11:43 AM

I bet that at least most of you -- me included -- would approve of TNT's schedule for the next two weeks. They're only showing Seasons 1-5 and 7. Two reasons for me to approve: (1) The episodes were good. (2) Presence of Adam means absence of Serena.

I have a few favorite episodes. I like Marathon a lot; that might be my favorite. I'm pleased Mayhem and White Rabbit will be on TNT soon, 'cause I really enjoy those. They also aired Shadow a few days ago, which is a good episode on the whole, but I watch it to see Lennie play a drunken fool toward the guy who wants to use the pay phone.

soup in summer

soup in summer

Posted Apr 23, 2005 @ 2:43 PM

I totally concur with the excellent list compiled by indigo4, to which I'll add "We Like Mike", "Coma", "Encore", my all-around favorite "Mad Dog", and my guilty pleasure "Sweeps" ("Relax, Stone, I didn't get my nap today either!").

tvcriticwannabe

tvcriticwannabe

Posted Apr 23, 2005 @ 5:34 PM

Any ep with Sam Waterston in it. That man can leave his shoes under my bed anytime!

codgertwo

codgertwo

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 23, 2005 @ 10:57 PM

It's hard to limit it to one. Two of my favorites are Competence and Scoundrels.

Competence because of great performances all around but especially by S. Epatha Merkerson playing out what happens to a cop who kills a kid by accident. The interrogation scene of a suspect kid by the Internal Affairs Captain is savage and funny at the same time. A small highlight in a very good episode.

Scoundrels is great story telling and great acting. The late Michael Zaslow plays Willard Tappen as a souless man with a lot of attitude and humor. And Jack's imitation of Tappen's remark, "Heavens to Betsy, what a dreadful idea," as he and Claire are walking out at the end of the episode caps it off perfectly.

strife

strife

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2005 @ 1:08 AM

An episode that aired on Australian TV last night: 'Couples', season 13, episode 2, was one of the best directed and shot L & O episodes I've seen for a long time. Dynamic, well-paced, minimal angsty Serena.

lemcclatchie

lemcclatchie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2005 @ 12:53 PM

strife, I agree. I had not seen an original run of Couples until last night. That was fantastic and funny.

Camanda

Camanda

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV, Red Sox, Dodgers, Bruins, books, sleeping, reading, writing, eating

Posted Jun 8, 2005 @ 12:58 PM

"Couples" was an episode I'd been looking to tape for quite some time. It's scarily similar to "Mayhem", not just in premise but in things that happen, including the wives of cheating husbands who confess to murder in arraignment, and having the young cop get hit by a woman (it was Mike getting hit with -- I think -- a pan in "Mayhem" and Ed getting socked in the stomach in "Couples") while Lennie says something about assaulting a police officer. "Mayhem" has Zelda, though. I love when she says "Deetective Miiiiiiiike!"

Cheynem

Cheynem

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2005 @ 4:34 PM

After watching my way through the Season Three Collection (well, almost all my way--three episodes to go), here's some more nominees:

Conspiracy--As someone said, this is a real mystery. Great guest cast (Joe Morton, Gloria Foster). Not an easy episode.

Self Defense--It was nice of them to give Paul Sorvino a few good episodes before leaving. In this one, he gets to be put on the stand and have some fine arguments with Logan. Adam Arkin busts out a Greek accent to boot.

Point of View--This is a great one up until the deux ex machina ending. Up until then, you have Briscoe's first appearance, Ceretta's last appearance, Stone having to be a real jerk with Olivet (testifying for the defense), and Gary Basaraba with a bad hairdo.

Jurisdiction--What a fun episode. You've got Dan Hedaya as one of his shifty types, Michael Badalucco as one of his psycho types, Shambala Greene, Ben on the stand (!) for a defendant (!), and Schiff even gets to call someone "sir."

Belle74

Belle74

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 8, 2005 @ 6:19 PM

Coincidentally, the case that "Fools For Love" is based on is getting quite a bit of attention here in Canada; the woman who killed her sister (as well as raping and killing a few other girls), Karla Homolka, was just released from prison after 12 years, a deal struck in return for her testimony against her husband (a deal reached before the full extent of her participation was known). Her husband, however, will serve life in prison.

Camanda

Camanda

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2005 @ 8:55 PM

Jurisdiction--What a fun episode. You've got Dan Hedaya as one of his shifty types, Michael Badalucco as one of his psycho types, Shambala Greene, Ben on the stand (!) for a defendant (!), and Schiff even gets to call someone "sir."

"Jurisdiction" introduced me to that slimebucket Frank Lazar. I hate him, and I love to hate him. I love when he questions Ben's reason for testfying on Davey's behalf, and Ben replies, "My motives are irrelevant, sir, I'm under oath." And I do love Adam calling him "sir" because it so fits him in the L&O sense of the word.

haleyj

haleyj

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2005 @ 7:03 PM

Wow...this is hard, but I'll give it a go.

Subterreanean Homeboy Blues, from season one. This was based on the famous Bernhard Goetz self defense case in New York.

Also from season one Out of the Half Light, which is the one based on Tawana Brawley. This episode beyond rocks, and is the famous episode where Ben Stone tells Robinette that he needs to decide if he's a black lawyer or a lawyer who is black. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

From Season Two, Out of Control. It's about a gang rape on a college campus. The girl is promiscuous, so she isn't a perfect "victim" and the rapists are these preppy dudes and they get off. I remember Paul Sorvino saying he believes her because nobody asks to be gang raped.

Terminal- Where Adam's wife dies.

Bad Girl- With the girl being executed and Lennie's daughter dying.

Monster- All around. Especially the ambiguity about what Lennie did about his daughter's killer.

Edited by haleyj, Jun 24, 2005 @ 10:48 AM.

ggjunkie423

ggjunkie423

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2005 @ 6:31 PM

I'd have to go with "Blood", about the black guy who was passing

One thing always really bother me about that episode. If the guy was so worried about his second child ruining his reputation if it appeared "too black" that he and his wife considered having an abortion and ultimately gave the baby up for adoption, why wasn't he as concerned about his first child? Wouldn't this have come up during the first wife's pregnancy? Wouldn't she have suspected something?

Anyway.

That epsiode with the woman who shot the guy who had molested (or killed?) her child, then it was revealed that she *hired* him to do it, always creeped me out.
As did the episode with Hallee Hirsch as the sociopathic 10-year-old. But the one that sticks out in my mind is the one with Mike Logan and the child-molesting priests. That and the one where Ben Stone quits because he accidentally allows Ileana Douglas (or was it Allison Janney?) to get killed by the mob.

Yes, I suck at episode titles.

Edited by ggjunkie423, Jun 16, 2005 @ 6:47 PM.

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2005 @ 6:51 AM

Yes, I suck at episode titles.

"Bitter Fruit". "Killerz". "Bad Faith". Sorry I don't know the last one.