Something Wrong with the Universe: Season 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

150 replies to this topic

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2005 @ 2:15 PM

I saw the "Something wrong with the universe" ep today, and the last scene is unintentially hilarious. After Beverly is spit back out of the static warp bubble, Wesley collapses onto the engineering table. Picard rushes...right past the collapsed Wesley to hug Crusher. Which is amusing, but what makes it hilarious is that after Picard and Crusher exchange lines, they cut back to...

Wesley still collapsed across the engineering table. No one moves to help him!. The Traveller is on the other side of the table, but he's weird, and so he can be excused. But the scene established previously that Geordi is also in engineering, so why doesn't he help Wes? What, so he snuck out for a smoke while they were trying desperately to save Beverly? What about one of the half dozen random extras they always have wandering around engineering? Shouldn't someone have helped the poor (obnoxious) kid up??

It make me laugh, anyway.

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2005 @ 3:58 PM

Engineers have a hell of a union. If it ain't in their assigned duties, they don't bother.

Besides, they all probably figured that the doctor was right there, and if she didn't care...

kat_may

kat_may

Fanatic

Posted Dec 25, 2005 @ 8:39 PM

I could understand people ignoring Wes since Bev had just appeared out of thin air and she was the priority, but I'm glad you brought it up because I really liked that moment. I liked that they showed how drained he was and how much energy he was personally expending to hold open the warp bubble or whatever the hell he was doing.

RiverThames

RiverThames

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2006 @ 4:59 PM

Yeah, I think "just fell out of a hole in space/time" trumps "feeling a bit fainty".

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 4:21 AM

Data's Day was totally fun to me. It was a departure from the smoke-filled-planet-scenes and the need-to-save-the-ship-right-now drama. Love, love, loved the scene in the holodeck when Bev is teaching Data to tap dance for the wedding. She's teaching him but is soon exhausted by Data's easy footwork. Then, finding out that slow-dancing is called for at weddings, Data is soon his clumsy self. The part where Bev is gone, Data's got a holodeck partner to practice with and he's plastered the biggest smile on his face ever is hysterical! Love it! Of course, at the wedding reception we see him dancing as the smooth, suave guy he can be. Come dance with me Data... meet you on the holodeck in 5.

Galaxy's Child - LOVE the SPACE WHALES!!! Baby whale was so cute as we see him twisting his little frolicsome self back and forth over to the adult whales for a welcome home ahhhhh.

In Brothers, Data is summoned to Dr. Soong's location and what bothered me is when Soong is hurt they don't just beam him aboard the Enterprise. They asked him; he says no but why didn't they insist or something? I actually would have liked more of a storyline with Dr. Soong's character and interaction with Data. The guy was so old they could have killed his character anytime but it was too soon for Soong. (rhyme alert) BEST LINE - "I am not less perfect than Lore"... said by Lore mocking Data.

Biggest Mistake of the Season:Killing off K'Ehleyr!!! Intelligent, beautiful, spirited, raked Worf over the coals... what's not to like? BEST LINE - "I don't bite... well, that's not true." I wanted to see more of her talent on the show and how she interacted with the rest of the crew. Seemed she was only there to introduce Alexander to the storyline but his character quickly became a burden to not only Worf but the show's writers who didn't have a clue what to do with a little Klingon. Clue to writers... if you don't know where to go with a story don't set up the storyline!!!

Speaking of a storyline with NO direction was Final Mission. It's the bad story of Picard and Wesley traveling with a ShifferBrains guy on a broken down ship who's supposed to deliver them to Pentarus V. Why didn't Picard and Wes take one of the ship's shuttles? They land on a desert planet and head toward distant mountains to seek water and shelter. Doesn't water usually run DOWN hill? Hmmm, water on top of the mountain. Don't know if that's a good idea. However, they find a cave with of-all-things a FOUNTAIN. They can't get to it because it needs some tricky calibration passcode before they can drink. WHO put the shield perimeter around the thing in the first place? Where are THOSE beings? How did water get there? And what do those crazy, flying, totally encasing taffy whips contribute to the story? They only say "hey, Shiffer, you shouldn't have horded the bottle and crashed us on this planet, so you deserve to be killed by the taffy." Of course, Wes finds the code, gets the water, saves Picard, and the light still shines on the character of Wesley. Cough.

The Loss - I LOVED this episode! Riker pulls Troi to him, strokes her hair, he pulls her to his chest, whispers gently to her, then lets her rant a bit to him while he's still composed. His voice is soothing and gentle but also lets her know that she can't get away from his protection... no matter how much she's pushing him away. (Move over Troi! William? I hurt my arm and only you can make it better.) Told ya I loved it!

Hated First Contact - writers should not mess up the gorgeous guy's face just for a "ha, bet you didn't think we'd do it" moment. Ah, nuts.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2006 @ 9:14 AM

Taking my thoughts to the proper thread.

Edited by RealChic1999, Apr 20, 2006 @ 10:57 AM.

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2006 @ 9:54 AM

Can't remember which one that is, but there's also the episode where that telepath is mind-raping people, and at the end when he attacks Troi she fights back pretty well. Much better than the pottery-smashing, which was just embarressing.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2006 @ 10:51 AM

I know the mind-rape one, "Violations," from season 5. That was the toughest Troi was.

I also figured out that the episode I'm thinking of is "Suspicions," from season 6. Oops...better put my thoughts there instead.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 12:45 AM

In the season 3 thread, EmbiggenedSoul said this about the episode Suddenly Human:

I caught parts of an episode, I think it's season 3, with some kid or kids who are abused, and they're telling him he's human, but he insists that he's Tellerian or Talerian, whatever...I tried to pay attention, but boy was that ever boring. Plus, I think I've seen the end of the episode 100 times, but never the beginning, so I'm still not sure what it was about. Is it worth watching the whole thing?

It was just the one kid, played by Chad Allen (which explains the boring). The basic story was that the Enterprise responded to the distress call of a Talarian ship, and found the human child among the crew. He'd been raised as a Talarian by a man who'd lost his son in a fight with humans, and found the kid as an orphaned infant on another planet after another battle with humans. The injuries that Crusher thought were possibly abuse were explained as normal Talarian boyhood injuries, similar to a kid breaking his leg on a bike or skateboard today.

As for whether it's worth watching: depends. The story is kind of a parallel to the origins of 7 of 9, except Picard makes the opposite decision as Janeway.

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 5:37 AM

It also parallels the DS9 episode where the Cardassian 'orphan' is being raised by Bajorans, hates Cardassians, and then the Cardassians want him back.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 10:05 AM

I seem to recall that the injuries were pretty severe, so that while they were part of a normal Talarian childhood, they seemed odd to humans. I also remember a human relative trying to get him back. (Shades of 7 of 9's aunt again.)

Edited by nelamm, Apr 28, 2006 @ 10:06 AM.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 10:17 AM

Yeah, I think he was the boy's grandfather.

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 10:51 AM

I thought it was his grandmother, and she was a Starfleet admiral?

tothemax

tothemax

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 12:16 PM

I don't remember if she was an admiral, but she was pretty important (a high level politician maybe).

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2006 @ 1:20 AM

I thought it was his grandmother, and she was a Starfleet admiral?

It was, and she was.

RiverThames

RiverThames

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2006 @ 12:37 PM

he's Tellerian or Talerian, whatever

You ever notice how many aliens In Trek have a name that the base is T_l_rian?

HansBlix

HansBlix

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2006 @ 8:02 PM

Yup, there's a crapload of alien race names starting with a T. This is especially evident if you look at the listing of alien races in the encyclopedia. I have a theory is that this is due to the writing staff throwing concepts around and just putting random stuff down on paper, and in the end it never ends up really being changed. I think in an effort to create weird sounding, and long, alien names they subconsciously reach for the letter T and then just play around with syllables after that.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2006 @ 9:23 PM

Ex Astris Scienta has a list, complete with a random name generator.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2006 @ 12:43 PM

I never thought of that, but it's true.

EmbiggenedSoul

EmbiggenedSoul

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2006 @ 12:55 PM

nelamm:

Ex Astris Scienta has a list, complete with a random name generator.

Ha! No wonder I'm always confused. There are about 20 variations on Talarian or something like it.

I can just imagine an interplanetary networking function:

Alien 1: Oh, you're Talarian too?
Alien 2: No, I'm Tellerian.
Alien 3: Oh, I'm Telerian as well.
Alien 2: No, I'm from the planet with 2 L's. Not that two-bit asteriod with the one L.
Alien 3: Well, excuuuuuuse me.
Alien 1: Hey, there's my cousin. He's Tarellian. Be back in a minute!

Edited by EmbiggenedSoul, May 1, 2006 @ 12:58 PM.

RealChic1999

RealChic1999

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 8:46 AM

I just caught "Legacy" again yesterday (thank god I found out where they moved G4 to), and as many times as I've seen that episode, I never realized how short the actress who played Tasha's sister was. I always thought she was the same height as Denise Crosby...but she looked like a dwarf next to Patrick Stewart. And those mutton-chop pants she wore didn't help either. Funny how that and the goofy 80's pilot/bomber-reject styles of the inhabitants of Turkana IV are the only things I can remember about that episode.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 3:41 PM

Ha! No wonder I'm always confused. There are about 20 variations on Talarian or something like it.

This is sooooo funny. I had never noticed until a few days ago and the "alien guy" said he was Talerian. I laughed so hard. Later in the episode, Picard says Tarelian. On second thought I might be wrong about it being the same episode. Watching Spike's 3 hour mini-thon of TNG in the afternoon, sometimes the episodes run together.

kat_may

kat_may

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 11:44 PM

I think it's "Haven" when Picard pronounces the name two different ways in the same ep.

Make It So

Make It So

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 2:57 PM

I used to wonder why this ire existed toward Vash. Then I saw "QPid" the other day, and all my wonder ceased. Who possibly thought this could be an endearing character?

Sure, I get it - they wanted to emphasize the 'opposites attract' situation between Picard and Vash. He's all rules and protocol, while she's an unstructured liar and a free-spirit. I just wish they'd written the character in a more likeable way, and found a more likeable actress to play her. No offense to the actress, but man, she was annoying. I took exception to the concerted attempts of TPTB to convince us about what a catch she was in the eyes of everyone.

Edited by Make It So, Sep 14, 2006 @ 2:58 PM.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 4:06 PM

I actually liked her much more in "Q-Pid" than in the Risa episode. She just seemed more like a shrewd survivor in "Q-Pid" than anything else. That kind of character always seems refreshing to me when the main characters are such upstanding, supremely moral, heroic types. This amoral, survivor type is well-done in Methos from Highlander. Vash wasn't a particularly appealing portrayal of that kind of character, but I appreciated the attempt.

HansBlix

HansBlix

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2007 @ 12:44 PM

The Drumhead was a pretty good episode, hadn't seen it till now. There are still about a dozen episodes that have evaded me in the 12 years I've been watching TNG, although gems like Code of Honor I have seen more times than I can recall.
The easily bamboozled Lieutenant Worf gets carried away by his prejudices again, so what else is new? I swear, Microbrain must have gotten into Starfleet Academy on some sports scholarship. Picard had some great lines in this episode, though he did seem totally bummed by the poop that was being flung at him during that trial, I would have expected him to take a much more active role in his defense.

The nominee for Best Costume Worn by a Starfleet Admiral - Jean Simmons as Norah Satie, for her vaguely insectoid outfits.

The nominee for the Best Portrayal of a Starfleet Admiral - Earl Billings as Thomas Henry, who sat in the courtroom with a constipated look on his face for several minutes, before walking out, not having uttered a single line.

marathon

marathon

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2007 @ 3:54 PM

" As for courtroom stories, the Drumhead isn't bad, but it pales next to S2's the Measure of a Man, which is TNGs first classic episode.

swellen

swellen

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2007 @ 10:22 AM

I'm re-watching The Wounded and I seriously want to smack Miles O'Brien. Very hard. Keiko too, for that matter, but what had me really incensed was his disgusting treatment of the Cardassians in the turbolift when they ask him to go to Ten Forward with them. I know he apologises later, but he should never have been that rude in the first place. They were trying to be friendly and his smug 'cold shoulder, I'm soooo much better than you nasty aliens' smacks of things like hating all Germans after WWII. I know, I know, it's probably the point of the episode but I find it hard to watch the whole episode because that bit annoys me so much... and I don't think his "war is heck and I've been scarred by it" story makes it any better. Mind you, I've never been at war with Cardassia so maybe I just don't understand...

And what's with Keiko and Miles and their food differences? Keiko only eats seaweed and Miles only eats deep fried potato and pork products? In the so-called enlightened 24th century I find it hard to believe that neither of them have never tasted food from other cultures - or planets, for that matter. Cross-cultural marriages - oh, the hilarity!

Edit:

The easily bamboozled Lieutenant Worf gets carried away by his prejudices again, so what else is new? I swear, Microbrain must have gotten into Starfleet Academy on some sports scholarship.

This gives me a giggle every time I read it!

Edited by swellen, Jul 8, 2007 @ 10:25 AM.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 1:16 AM

They were trying to be friendly and his smug 'cold shoulder, I'm soooo much better than you nasty aliens' smacks of things like hating all Germans after WWII.

I don't think it's quite the same. These Cardassians were military, weren't they, not civilians? That doesn't make it right to hate them, too, but it makes it more logical and understandable. I never had a problem with O'Brien's attitude in the episode because it seemed realistic. Again, maybe not right, but realistic.

Edited by Gilmel, Jul 9, 2007 @ 1:17 AM.

swellen

swellen

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 2:19 AM

These Cardassians were military, weren't they, not civilians? That doesn't make it right to hate them, too, but it makes it more logical and understandable. I never had a problem with O'Brien's attitude in the episode because it seemed realistic. Again, maybe not right, but realistic.

I admit, it could well be the scenery-chewing that really bugs me in this episode. But still, I think it's the fact that these Cardassians - or at least the particular one who asked him to go for a drink - really seemed to want to make a new start with the Federation. They weren't like Cardassians who grudgingly accepted the peace terms but secretly hated the Federation... so I found Miles' sneer incredibly annoying and inappropriate. I found myself thinking "Oh, that poor Cardassian." But perhaps I'm overthinking the whole thing...