The TV Land Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

123 replies to this topic

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 12:46 AM

Was I the only one who thought Julie Newmar looked...batty? It looked like she wanted to kill Adam West and Burt Ward during their acceptance speech.

I think she expected to go up on stage as part of the cast, since they are the only few remaining cast members out there. I wonder if they all planned to go up there but was told they were only giving West and Ward awards, that would piss me off imo. She did look very pissed, and we all know you don't piss off Catwoman.

Why was Larry Hagman the only cast member of Dallas allowed to give a speech at the podium?

I think that Hagman, by far the most popular of the cast, said what he wanted to say and didn't realize he ended his speech by making it seem that it was it. He didn't leave it open-ended where others could speak, he took his award, gave his speech, then he left the microphone. I know they edit and add in the music afterwards, but they should have pushed Gray and Duffy up there to speak, but they didn't. I'm surprised Titston, er......Tilton didn't take it over. She is scary that one.

How the fuck could Hilary Swank win for Little Screen/Big Screen Star when she wasn't even on the ballot?!

That is a strange one, but from that list, it makes me sad that none of those stars would want to show up so they had to ask Hilary Swank to step up. Very classy of her, and I honestly think she has been the most deserving Oscar winner in the past decade of the show. She seems so down to earth and classy.

fatneck

fatneck

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 10:53 AM

Finally, saw it this morning and WOW, what a great show! It was put together wayyyy better than the oscars and everything felt heartfelt and respected!

I LOVED the opening with musicals numbers, but James Ingram and the lady(forget her name) exploded and made it that fantastic with the Good Times theme! They were all wonderful!

Loved seeing Tom and John(Duke Of Hazzard) and LOVED seeing Charlene Tilton and her bust! Damnnn, girl looked like she was hiding 2 midgets in her top! Plus, she looked damn good for age! I'd hit in a sec!

Loved the Billy Crystal tribute to Sid Ceaser! Freaking surprise to see Sid coming onstage and being just as funny and even more funny than some of today comedians! It was fantastic!

Loved the Good Times tribute and like the enthused Quentin goshing over them! I'm right there with the cheers that Good Times brought to all households! Everybody looked really good! And I'm still crushing on Bernda Stanis(Thelma) after all these years! Micheal look so grownup now, its almost unbelieveable! Good bless, Esther Rolle!

Not to be shallow, but the women have reallty age gracefully and looked good, cept MTM and the lady from Mash. Diaham Carrol, Marie Osmond, and Linda Gray looked gorgeous!

This was prehaps the best award show all season for me, because it was fun!

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 2:35 PM

How the fuck could Hilary Swank win for Little Screen/Big Screen Star when she wasn't even on the ballot?! Also, wasn't she just a guest star on Harry and the Hendersons? Weird.

I think it really comes down to just who TV Land can get to come and accept an award. Like I said, I thought it was weird because I didn't even know what television show she had been on outside of 90210, whereas the others were much more obvious.

As much as Clooney is open to joking about his cheesy 80's tv past and his bad acting, I'm not sure he's quite so open as to go accept an award for it.

I also don't see Jamie Foxx's superinflated ego allowing him to sink so low (in his opinion of course) and attend something meant to be nostalgic and fun such as the TV Land Awards.

fatneck

fatneck

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 6:37 PM

I think it really comes down to just who TV Land can get to come and accept an award. Like I said, I thought it was weird because I didn't even know what television show she had been on outside of 90210, whereas the others were much more obvious.

To be honest, Hilary looked embarrassed. They wanted someone, anyone famous to show. Oh, well.

As much as Clooney is open to joking about his cheesy 80's tv past and his bad acting, I'm not sure he's quite so open as to go accept an award for it.

I also don't see Jamie Foxx's superinflated ego allowing him to sink so low (in his opinion of course) and attend something meant to be nostalgic and fun such as the TV Land Awards.

Neither one of those guys would show unless one could make a political statement or sing with Kanye West. Now if Miami Vice the movie was coming out this month, I'd bet Foxx would've shown.

I thought the Partridge Family got totally ripped off in the "Singing Sibs" category. Donny and Marie had cheesy and soporific songs in their show whereas I rocked out to a lot of PF tunes. What? Stop looking at me like that.

I have to agree. No way does Marie and Donny have anything on the Partridge Family. I own an old David Cassidy album and the guy can still sing!

Anybody else agree that when Megan Mullaly isn't being "Just Karen" she's awfully dull? I thought her hosting left a lot to be desired.

This is not surprising once you realized how the show relied heavily on good writing. If you noticed, only Sean Hayes seems to be the only who can still bring the occasional funny!

Anyone Bueller

Anyone Bueller

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Can y'all believe they're continuing this award show? According to the futon critic, The 2007 TV Land Awards will air on Wednesday, April 25 at 9 PM ET/PT. Kelly Ripa will be the host. I hate her, but at least they didn't ask Megan Mullally to return.

You can vote for the awards here. My favorite category this year is Lady You Love to Watch Fight For Her Life in a Movie of the Week. I almost voted for Valerie Bertinelli, but I suddenly remembered Kate's Secret and had to cast my vote for Meredith Baxter!

morecowbell

morecowbell

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 10:01 AM

I was really moved when they gave Ann B Davis a standing O. I think everyone I know wished they had an Alice when they were growing up. Altho, what was with Barry and the trenchcoat? Kinda creepy.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 10:28 AM

He was wearing a trenchcoat over his costume for the finale.As was Maureen Mccormick, she was wearing a pink trench of some type.His coat looked a bit too long though.I agree, the Ann B Davis standing O was a highlight for me, and very sweet. The Roots tribute was cool, loved John Amos' childhood photo.

Edited by prairiegirl, Apr 24, 2007 @ 10:28 AM.

isisuptown

isisuptown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 1:42 PM

While Willie Nelson was singing during the Hee Haw segment, a shot of the Hee Haw Honeys in the audience made me speculate that they were discussing backstage liasons they'd had with Willie. Also, Willie seemed in a big hurry during his backstage interview. I felt like it cut off just before he said "Now I'm going to my tour bus to smoke some weed."

John Amos is looking great! I also liked Kelly Ripa's "two handsome distinguished Oscar winners" about Forrest Whittaker and Morgan Freeman.

I can't think of anyone more deserving of a standing ovation than Ann B. Davis.

Edited by isisuptown, Apr 24, 2007 @ 1:46 PM.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 4:12 PM

Why Ripa? Why??

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 6:50 PM

I wish "Ugly Betty White" was real. I laughed and laughed when she fell off her chair. Because I'm easy like that.

boomersmommy

boomersmommy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 7:43 PM

Boy, the "Hee Haw Grannies" are looking rough by my Hager boys are still adorable. I was shocked recently to learn they are almost three years older than my mom. I was glad one of them mentioned Buck Owens and also that Carol Kane mentioned Andy Kaufman. Too often people make it all about themselves (hi, Judd Hirsch) and forget their co-stars who are no longer with us.

Is Jeff Conaway having health problems? I know he's had some issues with pain and also substance abuse, but he seemed like his back was hurting or something and some of the others were putting their arms around him on the way offstage.

lnmop

lnmop

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 1:09 AM

Why Ripa? Why??

I thought Kelly was a scream in the opening - there's something about her that's so adaptable that I had to look twice at a couple of her "impersonations". She almost seemed to be channeling Marlo Thomas, Mary Tyler Moore, and especially Sally Field - the resemblance was uncanny! Plus, she doesn't take herself seriously either. And I loved her dancing with the Bradys!

I wish "Ugly Betty White" was real. I laughed and laughed when she fell off her chair. Because I'm easy like that.

Damn, I missed that part! Thank God it's TVLand - I'm sure I'll catch it in a rerun.

Is Jeff Conaway having health problems? I know he's had some issues with pain and also substance abuse, but he seemed like his back was hurting or something and some of the others were putting their arms around him on the way offstage.

He talked a lot on Celebrity Fit Club about his constant state of pain, but to me, he looked (and acted) high.

Overall, I loved this show.

But where was Eve Plumb?

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 9:54 AM

We've been trying to figure that out in the Brady Bunch Thread. Our guess is that if she had to miss it for a good reason they would have mentioned it so we think that she was boycotting.

I thought it was strange that in the Taxi clips, they didn't show any of Andy Kaufman.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 1:11 PM

I thought it was strange that in the Taxi clips, they didn't show any of Andy Kaufman.

I noticed that too. Actually, I didn't notice until Carol Kane mentioned Andy Kaufman. It had to have been on purpose because I don't see how they would have shown clips or scenes of everybody--including Randall Carver who my mother didn't even remember, but no Andy Kaufman.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 1:51 PM

Eve Plumb's skipped out on a lot of post-Brady reunions. I wasn't surprised she was missing.

And Jeff. ... Take it easy, pal. Totally high.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 3:10 PM

HeeHaw Grannies. Heh. Gunilla Hutton looked kinda.. uh.. not good. I realize she's not 25 anymore, but wow.

missbianca

missbianca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2007 @ 6:32 PM

I don't undrstand what this 'Awards show" had become now and I still don';t. We vote online but the awards are never even presented!! What the hell, only one reeal "award" was presented..ONE! Why on earth did we vote then ?!
The first two times they held this they presented actual awards, now it;s nothing but tributes. Just change the name cause it's not an awards show anymore!

Kansippian

Kansippian

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 5:06 AM

Boy, the "Hee Haw Grannies" are looking rough by my Hager boys are still adorable. I was shocked recently to learn they are almost three years older than my mom

I had the opposite reaction. I thought Barbi Benton and Misty Rowe looked pretty damn good, but the Hager twins looked scary. And Roy Clark seriously needs to lose that toupee.

Videophile

Videophile

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 8:40 AM

... but from looking at Diahann Carroll and Diana Ross it would seem the best way for them to age gracefully would be to become black women.

Hairymango posted this after last year's show. Seeing Cicely Tyson and Leslie Uggams on stage after 30 years just reinforces it. Although Valerie Bertinelli looked fantastic.

Speaking of Valerie, looking at her next to Mackenzie Phillips, it's nearly impossible to believe that they are the same age (Mackenzie is five months older).

What was with that award they presented to Lindsay Wagner? I never could figure out what the hell it was for and I don't think she could either.

Edited by Videophile, Apr 26, 2007 @ 8:41 AM.

isisuptown

isisuptown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 3:42 PM

Gunilla Hutton was born in 1944! (Apparently, she was Nat "King" Cole's mistress). I know she was "Billie Jo" on the first season of Petticoat Junction (Meredith McRae played the role the rest of the series. We should all look so

kinda.. uh.. not good

in our 60's.

missbianca

missbianca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 7:36 PM

What was with that award they presented to Lindsay Wagner? I never could figure out what the hell it was for and I don't think she could either.

It was the only award presented in the entire 'Award's Show"! I think it was for 'Best Superpowered Television Apparatus' and she won for her characters bionic legs, arm, and ear.

missbianca

missbianca

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 7:39 PM

I think they aught to forgt the whole "award" thing and just call it a tribute show next year!

Edited by missbianca, Apr 26, 2007 @ 7:40 PM.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2007 @ 10:22 AM

And, seriously ... Heather Mills??

Locutus

Locutus

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2007 @ 6:22 PM

I don't know, I mean, I used to like Kelly Ripa, but she seems to project just a yucky vibe these days it tainted the awards for me this year. The opening bits with the opening credits of classic shows was good, but the constant "Starring Kelly Ripa" was such a distraction. Yeah, we know it's Kelly Ripa...does she get off seeing her name on screen so much?

justcarol

justcarol

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2007 @ 9:21 AM

Eve Plumb gave an interview on tvland.com. (Yes, I went to the website to see Hee Haw.) Ms. Plumb appears to be a normal person -- not too much twitching, although, is that a wig? She has some resentment for the TV critics who panned the Brady Bunch pilot (she recites their insult word for word -- something like, "As the Brady Bunch troops up the steps to join their parents on their honeymoon, we hope they will never return." Other than that, I can't imagine why she is continuing to shun the show. Jan, don't be a hater!

Can we snark on Barbie Benton? Why was her face so shiny? Did she arrive at the show minutes after a chemical peel?

Also, Wynona (sp) Judd? Looks like Divine. And that is just so sad.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2007 @ 10:52 AM

Just a fun nitpick, Jeanine Riley was the first Billie Jo on Petticoat Junction, for 70 episodes from 1963-65,then Guinlla Hutton was Billie Jo for 29 episodes, from 1965-66. then Meredith McRae finished out the shows' run as Billie Jo.
For more trivia fun, there were two Bobbie Jos, Pat Woodell (1963-1965, 70 episodes) and Lori Saunders the rest of the way.Only one Betty Jo, Linda Kaye Henning.And why do I know this? Cause as a kid, that was probably my favorite show.

"Wynonna looks like Devine". Heh. And I can't disagree.

My award for best looking after all these years? Lucie Arnaz. She looked stunning.

Edited by prairiegirl, Apr 30, 2007 @ 10:52 AM.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2007 @ 12:27 PM

Also, Wynona (sp) Judd? Looks like Divine. And that is just so sad.

I initially misread this as "Wynona looks divine," and after the inevitable double-take and "Whaaaa?" face, I re-read it correctly.

::snerk::

Too true.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 12:59 PM

Bumped because the 2008 awards were on last night! Was I the only one who watched? Loved seeing the whole cast of Roseanne up there, with BOTH Beckys. Funny how Sarah Chalke, the much-maligned Becky #2, is now one of the bigger stars in the cast (at least currently). Can anyone decipher what Johnny Galecki said onstage? Rosie looked good.

Also glad to see Steve Carell and Rainn Wilson, but wish Jim and Pam had deigned to show up too.

Overall, I'm always kind of amazed at the level of celebrity this small cable channel draws to these awards. Is it nostalgia factor, the chance to rub noses with icons like Dick Van Dyke and Garry Marshall, or is the TVLand channel owned by the same company as some of the networks whose stars show up?

boomersmommy

boomersmommy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 8:18 PM

Can anyone decipher what Johnny Galecki said onstage?

He said something like "I wasn't an actor before I met these people." He was, I guess, giving them credit for building his acting skills up, since he was a child actor.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2008 @ 10:48 PM

I was kinda shocked that the two of the main characters didn't show up for the Office tribute. Did John and Jenna have movies going on at the time? It always makes me wonder when certain castmembers don't show for things like this. Of course Steve would be there b/c Get Smart is coming up soon and this is TV Land afterall.

I did love that John Goodman showed up for the tribute as I figured he might not since he is actively quite busy these days. Laurie not being there made me sad as i'm guessing this cast doesn't get together as much as they should anymore. By the way, could someone explain to me why Teri Hatcher keeps getting work, she is one of the worst actresses i've ever laid eyes on, that tribute monologue was horrible and said w/a faux-enthusiasm that was just grating.

The tribute to Garry was great, he genuinely seems like one of the nicest men still in the business. I hope he puts out a memoir at some point detailing his life in and out of the business, or at least Penny covers him in her memoirs.

Alot of questions came to mind as this show keeps going downhill every year and no longer feels necessary. Why no tribute to Don Knotts or the fallen tv stars of the past year? Why the tribute to Nicole Ritchies father Lionel, as it's not like he had his own variety show in the past.

So i'm guessing this yearly show is just a reason to get old television stars together to make them still feel worthwhile. For the life of me I can't see why any of them would show up to an airplane hanger and sit around for two hours just to drink and have what, five awards handed out?

TV Land needs to abandon this awards concept, and do something different. I think they should do four different two hour shows, maybe tributes to different shows where they could gather the tv celebrities and celebrate differnt shows w/retrospectives and whatnot.

One thing to add...the Jonathan Winters tribute proved one thing to me. Robin Williams is the most annoying man on the face of the earth. I don't find him funny at all. I never have, and I never will