The TV Land Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

123 replies to this topic

GypsyBaby

GypsyBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 11:05 PM

Did anyone else watch this? I love this show, and this year's was the best yet. How wonderful to see the entire cast of the Carol Burnett Show together -- even Lyle Waggoner!! -- and Harvey Korman had me laughing so loud that I scared my cat.

The Soul Train tribute was outstanding -- Stevie Wonder? Smokey Robinson? OMG!! That was the joint.

I was glad to see Charles Lane at the show in person, and loved Cedric as the host. He cracks me up.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 9:42 AM

I caught most of it, GypsyBaby, and agree that it was a very enjoyable and entertaining program. It's a little bit spoofy of awards shows in general (i.e., the winners already know they've won and are sure to attend), but what always strikes me is how genuinely happy and grateful the attendees seem to be.

I haven't watched Desperate Housewives, but still found the Desperate Classic Housewives spoof to be very funny -- just seeing icons like Shirley Jones, Charo, and Marion Ross poking fun at their TV images was such a hoot. And Larry Mathers as the Beaver!

It was also fun seeing Michael Cole, on whom I had such a crush back in the Mod Squad days. He looked pretty darned good, and seemed to have genuine affection for Aaron Spelling, as did all the presenters in the Spelling tribute.

Loved Roseanne's comment that though she's now slim, "My ego is still morbidly obese." Hee. Oh, and Sally Field -- does that woman ever age? She's 58 and still looks perky! Very fun times.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 6:00 PM

I caught this last night as well, after I have tivo'd it. I love seeing all the classic stars, but i'm sorry Cedric the Entertainer was not entertaining at all in my opinion. I just don't find him that funny, and he had the gall to promote his movie remake of the classic sitcom the Honeymooners, and we got this clip, which was just horrible, plain horrible. Did anyone hear any laughter after that clip from his movie, I heard it after the classic Ralph and Ed clip, but not after the movie clip. He should be ashamed for even trying to remake that sitcom. I loved seeing Roseanne, she looks great and is still funny as all get out, I think she needs another vehicle for her to star in, she would be great as a recurring character or guest star on Arrested Development. Sally Field fell flat in my opinion, she just isn't that great on acceptance speeches, it showed in the Oscars and it showed here. I know they were trying to be funny w/the Mr Ed thing, but honestly, who didn't see that coming.
The Aaron Spelling tribute was great, although his daughter, as always, ruined it for me, when will she learn she is not all that. The Desperate Housewives award was just weird, and I think that falls into the fact that Terri Hatcher rushed everything and was just not very good doing the introduction. The spoof was great though, although I can't believe they got Joyce DeWitt to do another acting gig, didn't she write off television and all acting, or am I on drugs or something. Personally, I thought she was Dawn Wells before the Ropers remark. Does anyone know who was doing the Mary Alice voiceovers, was it a classic star, was it Florence Henderson?

The Bob Newhart tribute was great, and very much so appropriate. The Soul Train tribute, way too long, way, way too long, but they had to hit each decade. The Smothers Brothers bit was awesome, although I could see where it was going a few minutes into it, man I wish they still did specials, we need them again. Lastly, I about peed my pants for the Carol Burnett Show tribute, that was frickin hilarious. That cast, minus Lyle, are great together, they should do sweeps specials more often, I miss them. When asked if they would do the show again, all their responses were great, especially Harvey's "Everybody Loves Raymond type of money" line, brilliant! He also cracked me up when he accepted the award, thanking his doctors, the makers of depends, his wife, bartender and psychiatrist. Vicki thanking the fact she was the younger of them all. Lyle thanking...........well he took it serious and didn't crack a joke, per usual. Tim snarking on the inexspensiveness of the award itself and thinking that he was being called in for a tv pilot called "tv land awards 2005." Carol was gracious as always, and wanted everyone else to shine, as usual. And even Carol's dress maker Bob Mackie got an award b/c he was as much a cast memeber as everyone else. The show was okay and fun other than Cedric being a huge letdown. Let Ellen host, I beg of you tv land producers, that and add a 'in memorium' segment.

Edited by Cypher21, Mar 17, 2005 @ 6:03 PM.

Anyone Bueller

Anyone Bueller

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2005 @ 11:25 PM

Did anyone else vote for the awards on TV Land's web site? A couple of months ago, I voted in twentysomething categories (I distinctly remember voting for Gladys Kravitz for Nosiest Neighbor), but they only gave away, like, four awards! What's up with that? Is it because most of the nominees/winners are dead?

Oh, and Sally Field -- does that woman ever age? She's 58 and still looks perky! Very fun times.

I'm always amazed to see Joan Collins. Now that woman doesn't age (yes, I know, she probably has three plastic surgeries a year). But she still looks damn good, and she's old enough to be a grandmother's grandmother! And Roseanne looked really good, too. She was really getting down to Stevie Wonder.

Lastly, I about peed my pants for the Carol Burnett Show tribute, that was frickin hilarious. That cast, minus Lyle, are great together, they should do sweeps specials more often, I miss them.

Word.

And I'm with you, Cypher21: Cedric failed to amuse me. (And the new movie version of The Honeymooners looks like a big, fat box-office bomb, IMO.) John Ritter (RIP) and Brad Garrett were such great hosts at the past two shows. It would've been sweet if they would've just had Roseanne host it.

One question: Why didn't they have Farrah Fawcett and Shannen Doherty present Aaron Spelling with his award? Just kidding.

Pj3422

Pj3422

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2005 @ 6:47 PM

Someone, please let the writers handle the Academy Awards next year. This show was done with such humor, heart and respect. And it was such a treat to see the audience honor Charles Lane. That's the kind of wonderful detail that other awards shows miss.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 2:03 AM

Just spitballing here, but what I think they should do for the future TV Land awards is this: record the show live, air the show once at an ungodly time (2 am or so) without advertising it. Then advertise and air at a decent time. The reason? TV Land is the ultimate re-run network. It makes sense (in my twisted mind) that their awards show should also be aired primarily as re-runs.

Krispy24

Krispy24

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 20, 2005 @ 2:02 AM

I haven't watched Desperate Housewives, but still found the Desperate Classic Housewives spoof to be very funny -- just seeing icons like Shirley Jones, Charo, and Marion Ross poking fun at their TV images was such a hoot. And Larry Mathers as the Beaver!

As a huge Charo fan, I would love a copy of this. Is it uploaded anywhere?

Anyone Bueller

Anyone Bueller

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2006 @ 6:35 PM

The 2006 TV Land Awards is scheduled for Wednesday, March 22 at 9:00 ET. As usual, viewers choose the winners. Go here to vote in categories such as Favorite Made-for-TV Maid, Character Most Desperately in Need of a Time Out, Favorite TV Food and Teacher of the Year.

Edited by Anyone Bueller, Jan 11, 2006 @ 9:37 PM.

kmp

kmp

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 2:12 PM

Watched this last night and was pleasantly surprised. The "GrAy's Anatomy" but had me laughing out loud. It was fun to see so many faces from my childhood/teenage years on screen again. But what the heck happened to some of these people?

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 5:40 PM

kmp, you mean they had the audacity to grow old? ;-) Well, in the case of Burt Ward, corpulent would be the operative word. Holy pig-out, Batman, I'd never have recognized him. OTOH, who'd have guessed that Donnie Osmond could still look so good?

Wonderful show. People seem to be having so much fun at the TVLand Awards -- and also to be genuinely touched when they are honored.

last minute

last minute

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 7:07 PM

I typically HATE awards shows and don't watch them, but this one seemed like so much fun. If I could pick any awards show to go to, I'd pick this over the Oscars any day.

That Gray Anatomy skit was hilarious, and ITA that it was fun to see cast members from shows I used to watch. But some of the actresses have had waaaay too much work done.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:15 AM

Just wanted to mention, did anyone notice how Marie Osmond kept the bangs low to cover her hideous eyebrow lift that she is humiliated of. It's sad to think that she must cover those things whenever she goes out into society, she should just shave and draw. It was so nice to see Amy Linker from Square Pegs again, she looks hot, much better than her former co-star, horse face, SJP. I always wanted to see Amy guest on SatC as one of Carrie's past friends from high school.

Edited by Cypher21, Mar 24, 2006 @ 12:31 AM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 8:45 AM

I had no idea of the reason for Marie's long bangs. Thanks for dishing the dirt, Cypher21! As for having too much work done, I can hardly bear to look at Mary Tyler Moore these days. Her face is such a caricature of her old self. Shelley Long, however, looked much better than the last few times I recall seeing her. The shorter hair and bangs helped a lot, and I think there's a bit more weight in her face. Glad to see her apparently getting along well with her former Cheers co-stars.

Kansippian

Kansippian

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 8:54 AM

Anybody else agree that when Megan Mullaly isn't being "Just Karen" she's awfully dull? I thought her hosting left a lot to be desired.

That said, I loved the rest of this cheesy show. The Grey's Anatomy send up was a hoot except for Jimmie Walker at the end. That was a WTF moment. Diahann Carroll was lovely and very funny as Doctor Julia, and I loved seeing all my old favorite TV docs from the 70s. Oh, and Loretta Swit, go easy on the collagen please.

I thought the Partridge Family got totally ripped off in the "Singing Sibs" category. Donny and Marie had cheesy and soporific songs in their show whereas I rocked out to a lot of PF tunes. What? Stop looking at me like that.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

I caught a rerun of this yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised. MUCH better than the Emmys--or the Oscars, for that matter! Few things could make me as happy as that opening montage of great TV theme songs, including Bo and Luke Duke singing Dukes of Hazzard!

I'm pretty amazed at the caliber of star that shows up--Robert Downey Jr.?! Hilary Swank?! Jeremy Piven?!? It's so smart that they give a nod to a current show, like Grey's Anatomy, to keep the program somehow related to the 21st century.

And yeah, that Grey's spoof was hilarious. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Donny Osmond looks damn good. He's pretty damn funny, too--and a grandfather?!?

Oh--does anyone else think that they only gave awards to stars they know would show up? Like, did they really think George Clooney would show up weeks after having won an Oscar, now that he's finally gotten past all those Facts of Life jokes?

Edited by TheRealJanBrady, Mar 24, 2006 @ 5:29 PM.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 11:06 PM

Oh--does anyone else think that they only gave awards to stars they know would show up?

I think it's pretty well known that they inform the stars that they have won the award so they can either show up or tape a segment. I was pleasantly surprised to see Hillary Swank, she seems so genuine and nice for a two time Oscar winner. I forgot to say in my earlier post, but does anyone else cringe at when the recipients of these awards take them so seriously and thank their family and everyone else. Do they not realize it's not an Oscar, Emmy, SAG, or Grammy(those are the only four major awards that have any clout imo). It just makes me cringe when the cast from Good Times thanks everyone, family, God, pets, agents.

JuneCsEvilTwin

JuneCsEvilTwin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 2:41 PM

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Donny Osmond looks damn good. He's pretty damn funny, too--and a grandfather?!?

And the Make JuneCsEvilTwin Feel Like an Old Hag Award goes to ... TheRealJanBrady. A guy my age is a grandfather? I know Mormons tend to procreate early and often, but damn ...

But I'll forgive you because you also have a classic TV screen name (the June C. in mine is Mrs. Cleaver), as long as you get off my lawn!

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 2:48 PM

Hee, I just watched this this morning. I just like to see who shows up and how they look after all these years.

As much as I love MTM, she's starting to look scary.

I don't think Megan Mullally went over all that well though. Her beginning monologue/comedy bit seemed a bit strained.

As for the winners, I know people vote, but I always thought that sometimes the winners were whoever they could get to show up.

Love Hilary Swank and all, but "Harry and Hendersons" isn't exactly a television classic. I know she also did 90210, but it took me awhile to even figure out what television show she was on.

I actually think Facts should get some sort of award for future Oscar winners. Not only George, but Crash was written and directed by former Facts writer/producer Paul Haggis. LOL.

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 4:02 PM

The scary part is that Megan Mullally is getting her own syndicated talk show in the fall. If this is what her show will be like then count me out. She has the non-comedian thing going against her, unless she will use her Karen voice, that's the only way i can see it work.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 8:19 PM

I don't usually watch this, but I knew that the Cheers cast would be there, and it's my favorite show, so I tuned in. I'm glad I did. I was singing with every TV theme song. The Greatest American Hero is still a lot of fun. I wish there would some good ones out there now. Diana Ross is still a hell of a get for any awards show. Did you see the woman in the audience crying after her performance? I also loved the Gray Anatomy skit. I don't know what MTM, Loretta Switt and others were discussing with their plastic surgeons but from looking at Diahann Carroll and Diana Ross it would seem the best way for them to age gracefully would be to become black women.

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 9:17 PM

I just stumbled across this as they started the tribute to Good Times. I felt my stomach sink again when they showed the clip from the show about the girl (a young Janet Jackson, I think) who was abused. Dang, I remember being horribly moved by that ep when I was a kid.

And then they showed the clip where Esther Rolle's character gets the news of her husband's death. Tichina Arnold voiced over about how every black family in America was crying that night and I yelled back, "Not only the black families, honey." This lily white girl vivdly remembers that one, too.

kmp

kmp

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 8:16 AM

Being a fan of Little House, I LOVED when Alison Angrim came out (with Dee from What's Happening) to receive her award. She totally stole Dee's thunder and I laughed out loud when she told Dee she had a "hundred years" on her since she had been a brat back in the 1800s.

They talked about this show on ET's weekend edition and I wasn't aware that Shelley Long had an "accidental" drug overdose just a couple of years ago (she survived obviously). Any scoop on that?

Cypher21

Cypher21

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 11:59 AM

I wasn't aware that Shelley Long had an "accidental" drug overdose just a couple of years ago (she survived obviously). Any scoop on that?

I believe she was taking some sort of drug, overdosed, then once it got out said she misread the label or whatnot. Alot of people around that time said she was suicidal and that is why she did the overdose, and it just backfired. We will never know for sure, I would hope it would be just accidental, as she is funny and seems like a lovely woman.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 5:52 PM

JuneC, Donny said during the show that he was a grandfather, or else I never would've believed it myself. He's the best-looking grandpa I've ever seen. And being his age, I'm sure you look JUST as amazing! (And who knows--maybe one of his kids had kids insanely early? Mormons do procreate early, like you said!)

I was actually happy to see Dee. Alison Arngrim (whom I love) does a lot of time in the media (talking in child star documentaries and "Where are they now" shows) so I was thrilled to see Dee looking so gorgeous. Last I heard, she was a veterinarian. I wonder what the crutches were about? Is she ill, or just recovering from an accident of some kind?

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:06 PM

I was wondering about Danielle Spencer on crutches too. She looked amazing though. It was good to see her.

I hope she's just recovering from an injury. A lot of the "What's Happening" cast hasn't had the best of luck in the health department though.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 12:05 PM

I agree that the writers for this show need to give the Oscar writers some pointers on how to write one of these things. Great fun. Since I was 5, almost six when "Batman" premiered, it made me feel old as the hills to hear "BATMAN-FORTY YEARS OLD", but nice to see AW/BW together, and BW def needs Jenny Craig meals in his utility belt. And Donny "Gramps"
Osmond? So fine.
Random thoughts:Loretta Swit, step away from the collegen. Now. You have no lips.
Mary Tyler Moore, classy, but WTF has she DONE to herself?
Sid Caesar tribute, very funny, even though his comedy style was never my favorite.
William Shatner-I love you, will you marry me? You rule.
Good Times-John Amos is a class act, seems to have forgiven Norman Lear for letting Jimmie Walker turn GT into a crap-ass minstrel show, to the point where John Amos was fired for complaining about it. But Jimmie"JJ" Walker is an idiot. Take "JJ" out of your name, fool.
Charlene Tilton-honey, we get it. You were on Dallas because of your breasts. Please get them off our televisions.

I feel better.

TheRealJanBrady

TheRealJanBrady

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 1:37 PM

prairiegirl, thanks for the refresher on Amos's history with Good Times. I coulda sworn he'd had some falling out with the show (isn't that why he "died"?). Too bad Esther Rolle didn't live to make the reunion.

And I agree--I love MTM, but she just looks like a marionette at this point.

Pastprime

Pastprime

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 5:05 PM

For one thing, MTM was wearing some crazy false eyelashes which resembled 2 furry black caterpillars on her eyelids!!

JuneCsEvilTwin

JuneCsEvilTwin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 8:07 PM

Mary Tyler Moore, classy, but WTF has she DONE to herself?

For someone who (a) turns 70 this year and (b) has been living with diabetes for decades (not sure if it's juvenile or adult-onset but I recall articles about it when she was in her 40s), IMO she doesn't look half bad.

For one thing, MTM was wearing some crazy false eyelashes which resembled 2 furry black caterpillars on her eyelids!!

Don't you watch "American Idol"? Those are tarantulas!

Anyone Bueller

Anyone Bueller

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 10:55 PM

I usually love the TV Land Awards, but I wasn't crazy about this one. I like Megan Mullally, but she pretty much bombed (her bit about auditioning for Norman Lear was especially painful). And Diana Ross' performance wasn't one of her best, but the audience (especially Alison Arngrim and Chandra Wilson from Grey's Anatomy) loved her.

I did think that Donny and Marie were hilarious. (I've somehow managed to avoid them all of my life, so I was surprised at how pleasant they were.) And it was funny when Miss Piggy got pissed when The Brady Bunch's Pork Chops and Applesauce won for Favorite TV Food.

Some random questions:

Was I the only one who thought Julie Newmar looked...batty? It looked like she wanted to kill Adam West and Burt Ward during their acceptance speech.

Why was Larry Hagman the only cast member of Dallas allowed to give a speech at the podium? Not that I was dying to hear what Sheree J. Wilson had to say, but the cast of Cheers and Good Times were all allowed to speak.

How the fuck could Hilary Swank win for Little Screen/Big Screen Star when she wasn't even on the ballot?! Also, wasn't she just a guest star on Harry and the Hendersons? Weird.

Edited by Anyone Bueller, Mar 27, 2006 @ 11:02 PM.