Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

747 replies to this topic

CineFille

CineFille

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:01 PM

Since the "Lorelai and Luke" thread resides here, I thought this would also be the place to start a thread in which to analyze--okay, gossip about--the relationship between the actors who play them.

A poster in another forum went on the WB tour and was told--by a tour guide--that LG and SP "don't get along," but that "it's not hate."

OTOH, people have been speculating that there's "something" between them.

Discuss. Or not.

Xisa

Xisa

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:07 PM

I think the tour guide was just high-sidin’. From everything I’ve read and seen where the two of them talk about each other, I think their relationship is friendly. Especially when Lauren refers to going to ‘punching him in the shoulder’ to having to make out with him. And really, if she disliked Scott, would she even want to discuss having to make out with him? If they don’t get along, that’s fine with me, as long as they channel that into some serious Luke/Lorelai passion. I doubt the rumors are true, however, and wonder why people feel the need to fan the flames.

CineFille

CineFille

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:09 PM

You're right, Xisa. It's the on-screen chemistry that counts.

Not trying to fan flames here, so much as provide a space to discuss SP and LG the actors without tainting the 'shippiness of the L/L thread.

Xisa

Xisa

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:11 PM

Not trying to fan flames here, so much as provide a space to discuss SP and LG the actors without tainting the 'shippiness of the L/L thread.

Oh no, sweetie, I wasn't talking about you fanning the flames, but asshat tour guide and the like. And that clueless chick from E Online.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:17 PM

Also, if you read the summary of the tour, it seems really odd the way the man tells the girls. I mean, it sounds like he just comes up to them and randomly tells them this about LG and SP. It would be one thing if they had been talking to him and squealing about LL. But it just seems so out of the blue. You'd think that would be something they'd want to downplay, rather than just blurt it out to random people. Sounds like they're trying to get people riled up.

But I'm with Xisa. I think they're friendly. Anything more than that-who knows. But I doubt there's this enmity between them that some feel exists.

CineFille

CineFille

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:20 PM

Good point about the timing of the tour guide's "revelation," Jilly.

I think they're friendly. Anything more than that-who knows.

Well, there is a whole website dedicated to the premise that SP and LG belong together

mmp629

mmp629

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:21 PM

In my own workplace experiences, feelings (both good and bad) between co-workers apppear and disappear all the time. It's just the nature of working so closely with people.

What interests me is why some people have such great "on-screen" chemistry, which they obviously do. It's kind of a mysterious quality.

Hotplates

Hotplates

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:31 PM

What interests me is why some people have such great "on-screen" chemistry, which they obviously do. It's kind of a mysterious quality

Yeah, it is mysterious. Then again, there have been people in my life that I have chemistry with. (and I have not made this assumption myself; I have been told by others) Of course, they were mostly ex-boyfriends, but sometimes not. There are people that you just...click with, ya know?
And sometimes, in acting anyway, having animosity towards each other seems to help...for what reason, I do not know.
Since there is now a thread for this, and people can choose to look or not look as they please, I would like to know people's opinion on something. IF Lauren and Scott do in fact hate each other (not that we would ever know), would knowing this bother you, or detract from your enjoyment of the show?

Edited by Hotplates, Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:32 PM.

Xisa

Xisa

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:36 PM

IF Lauren and Scott do in fact hate each other (not that we would ever know), would knowing this bother you, or detract from your enjoyment of the show?

It wouldn't bother me, but I'd be thinking about it while watching the show. In fact, I need to stop reading spoilers and backstage rumors, but it's like a sickness now. I can stay away from Desperate Housewives and Lost spoilers, but GG spoilers are like a drug.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:49 PM

It wouldn't bother me, but I'd be thinking about it while watching the show.

Agreed. During, say, a kissing scene, there'd be this little voice in the back of my head reminding me that they are hating having to do this, which would take away from it for me.

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:55 PM

CineFille, that site is delicious! Thanks for the link. Lauren Graham is so gorgeous. And that man there is pretty hot too! Woo!

Sedonared

Sedonared

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 1:24 PM

Thought it was a bit suspicious that the tour guide brought up the SP/LG rumor out of the blue like that.

Do I think that SP & LG are best friends forever? No, but I also don't think that the rumors about them not getting along are true either. Between the press tour comments about making out and Amy's comment about SP and LG having chemistry, I always thought they were friendly co-workers. Around the time of WBB, my local newspaper had an interview with SP and he was nothing but complimentary to LG, especially when it came to a discussion of the dancing scenes. And how it was LG who had the skills and he just followed her lead and tried not to look foolish.

eta: And really if they hated each other, would LG wonder why there are times when the script calls for no kissing??

Edited by Sedonared, Mar 16, 2005 @ 1:45 PM.

nina ivanovna

nina ivanovna

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 1:46 PM

I always thought they were friendly co-workers.

Me too. If there is some animosity there, then they both are consummate professionals and go above and beyond to give the impression that they are friendly and respect each other's work, because that's all I've ever gleaned from their interviews.

I tend to think that this gossip just serves to create a little buzz and rile up the Stac(e)ys, which is probably A-OK with the WB as far as the ratings go.

presssecretary

presssecretary

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 5:37 PM

In all shows I think there's buzz or unfounded rumors that stars don't get along: the Friends cast for example, the cast of Will & Grace, but whenever they were asked about it they said they got along great.

So I'm assuming the same goes for Lauren and Scott. Even if they aren't buddy buddy outside of work, I'd say they'd get along fine on set.

eta: And really if they hated each other, would LG wonder why there are times when the script calls for no kissing??

Hee, exactly. You can't help but wonder about them sometimes since they have such great on screen chemistry. But I try not to be overly fangirly about it, even if Lauren did say that she (generally) dates people she's worked with.

gvond

gvond

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 7:54 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to Cinefille for starting this thread ... I know others on this board and elsewhere are sick of this topic. This way whoever wants to can come here and feel free to discuss it. I, for one, want to hear what others think about these rumours ... then I can make up my mind what I think about them.

IF Lauren and Scott do in fact hate each other (not that we would ever know), would knowing this bother you, or detract from your enjoyment of the show?

See, I don't think it does bother me because they can totally sell the L/L relationship to me on the show. Would I rather hear that they are best friends both on and off screen? Of course, but I don't need that to be true in order for me to believe in L/L. I am able to separate the real from the TV show ... at least most of the time LOL! They are both awesome actors and have me totally sold on their GG romance ... and that's what's really important to me!

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 8:25 PM

I think that people sometimes tend to go from one extreme to the other. Either they believe they hate each other or they believe they're having a clandestine affair. Of course, I'd prefer the latter, but just knowing they get along ok is enough for me.

PinkLassie

PinkLassie

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 9:50 PM

So, I am undecided on this issue, because to tell you the truth when I found out that David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson (Mulder and Scully) did not like each other at all...it spoiled it a bit for me. From then on it just was not as comfortable watching the X files (and I was a huge fan). I think the problem came, with trying to understand what about them made it impossible for them to like eachother. I think this would be the same problem with LG and SP. I would wonder what it was about Scott that Lauren did not like ( or vice versa). I have read articles about both of them, and they come off as nice people.

I have trouble believing that the TPTB at the WB would allow for something like this to leak out. Perhaps that have gotten into a couple of squabbles and this has caused that rumor. If it really was the case, I would bet the suits would do everything in their power to cover it up.

I also have a hard time accepting that ASP would continue to have Lorilai move toward Luke, if these 2 could not stand to be around eachother. I mean LG gets top billing and has the biggest name, I am sure she could have gotten rid of SP if she really wanted to, if it were a serious issue.

Kay28

Kay28

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 11:54 PM

I used to fluctuate between "I think they don't like each other that much" to "I think they have crushes on each other" a lot. Now, I just think they get along fine. They're not best friends, but, they don't hate each other.

I've said this a million times, and I'll say it again - I've always thought that SP has a crush on LG. You can't really blame the guy, I mean, she's gorgeous, smart, funny, talented, a hell of a lot of fun, and more. LG, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. She's never complimented SP before, and, SP's complimented LG several times. However, in the backstage special, LG was totally checking out SP's tattoo. Plus, she's brought up the making out in a lot of different interviews, which makes me think that a) she finds it weird to makeout with him, but doesn't know why, or b) she has a thing for him, and keeps bringing up the making out because it is weird, because she has a thing for him.

They both joked that they're sleeping together as a response to how their off camera relationship has changed since L/L got together, at the Winter Press Tour. I think that says right there that they get along. Why would they joke about that if they hated each other?

Thanks for starting this thread, Cinefille! It was definitely a long time coming.

ecouteuse

ecouteuse

Couch Potato

• Interests:Signed a three-book deal based on a synopsis and 3 sample chapters -- spent the first year writing it, last year going through the (pretty terrific) publishing process. First one comes out May 1st and just got a starred reivew in Publisher's Weekly. See my blog for more info: http:tonimcgeecausey.wordpress.com. See my regular site for video book trailers, plus a link to the amazon page which has a summary. (Think kick-ass comedy / caper -- southern fried.)

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 12:26 AM

Okay, I am going to admit that I would much prefer to think that in real life, they get along and possibly even have little crushes on each other. And I suspect that some of the antagonism that could happen between two people who like each other (even just as friends), but who have to work long days with each other is partly rooted in exhaustion -- normal working aggravations multiplied by the pressure of being a public figure and having your "mistakes" out there for everyone to see... and possibly the perceived antagonism could be rooted in jealousy (Lauren does get top billing, however, ratings sagged last season until Luke started coming more into focus and became a more integral part of the whole story)... which would have to make Scott feel better and Lauren feel a little... I don't know, usurped? slightly. In addition, if one or the other had had a slight crush at some point and the timing wasn't right, it could make them a little more... closed off, to the other person (so as to not show vulnerability). Kinda like the characters.

At any rate, I'd just prefer to think of them as getting along and at least basically liking each other. If it becomes crystal clear at some point that they really didn't like each other at all, it would be a little like knowing all the magician's secrets -- not nearly as much fun to watch the magic trick when you know exactly how it's done.

mariomom

mariomom

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 10:14 AM

I think that the two get along. Not saying that SP baked LG a birthday cake yesterday, but it seems like they at least have to like each other as fellow actors and people. Take for instance the scene in The Party's Over - while Luke is slaving over the hot stove right before TJ knocks on the door and ruins my night - er, I mean interrupts L/L romantic evening. Lorelai reaches out and strokes the back of Luke's head. I know it seems trivial, but do you really think in the script it said that LG should touch SP's head? It's just a prime example of what an excellent actress LG is to have added something so real to the scene and the chemistry the two have on screen. And then the kiss goodbye...need I say more. Clearly the get along. Excuse me while I go get a cool cloth and an ice cold beverage to cool this shipper down.

outtabreath

outtabreath

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 10:19 AM

Truthfully, as long as they do their jobs and continue to bring the chemisty, I don't care if they are plotting each other's demises. I get paid a hell of a lot less money to pretend that I like some of the people I work with - they can do it, too.

meaw

meaw

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:12 AM

My 2c if anyone care to read it... Isn't it strange that all this rumour out there and no one tries to squash it and say it's not true. Normally people from the TPTB would be saying something.

It's being ignored, they probably think... why bother. Every tiime I watch the dancing scene from s4 LAST WEEK FIGHTS, THIS WEEK TIGHTS LG is laughing is natrually, that can't be all acting.

I like bother actors and prefer to believe differently and once I get my L/L chemistry fill scene that's all that matters... mind you I also a L/S shipper too.

Oh hell... they like each because I say so and no one is going to tell me no.

Edited by meaw, Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:51 AM.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:20 AM

Oh hell... they like each because I say so and no one is going to tell me no.

BWAH! That might just be my new mantra.

edited because you'd think I could at least spell

Edited by Jilly Copper, Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:21 AM.

Hotplates

Hotplates

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:32 AM

I also have a hard time accepting that ASP would continue to have Lorilai move toward Luke, if these 2 could not stand to be around eachother. I mean LG gets top billing and has the biggest name, I am sure she could have gotten rid of SP if she really wanted to, if it were a serious issue.

I really do not think that would happen. It is ASP's vision, and Lauren is under contract. And if anything like that did ever happen, than my opinion of the show, the actors, and the creator would be extremely lowered.
One of the things that I have come to admire about Lauren in my short time in GG fandom is the fact that she really seems to be a professional. She does her job, and she does it well. Not just with the acting side of it, but with the press side as well. I LOVE the fact that she promotes the show, and constantly praises it, and is continually thankful for the opportunities the show has brought her. I have been a fan of shows ::coughcoughbuffythevampireslayer:: where the main actors ::coughcoughsarahmichellegellarcoughcough:: did not seem to particularly like the show or be grateful. So, it's a really refreshing change.
Okay so how does that tie into Lauren and Scott's relationship? That, as others have said, they are both professionals, and act as such. And therefore, even if they do not get along, I really doubt that one would try to get the other one fired. In my opinion (and the opinion of many, many, MANY others, methinks) the Luke/Lorelai storyline is the most compelling one on the show this season...and the most compelling storyline on TV this season. So anyone involved in the storyline would have to be an idiot to try and put that in jeopardy.
Oh also, I like how they are not addressing this issue. As someone said before, just look on screen and think, "well, who cares" because the chemistry is so good. But you know..with other shows where there have been rumors about people not getting along, (I am thinking specifically about Sex and the City here) and people try to squelch it, it just comes off sounding so fake, you know? "oh no, they LOVE each other. We are all like family here." So, I personally think it is more admirable not to address the rumors. It's like TPTB are saying it's just not that important, nor even an isssue.
This thread makes me think of something Lauren said at an event once, when someone asked her if she has always liked the people she has worked with. Her answer was something like, "No. But you act like you do." She then went on to say that she did, however, like everyone in her cast, and that, naturally, there were people she liked more than others, but that they all got along because of the amount of time they spent together, etc...

Edited by Hotplates, Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:38 AM.

Lula

Lula

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 11:42 AM

Truthfully, as long as they do their jobs and continue to bring the chemisty, I don't care if they are plotting each other's demises.

Amen, outtabreath. If their off-screen relationship isn't affecting the on-screen, then I don't care.

But if they, you know, had dated in real life and broke up and it was messy and then no longer had good scenes together in the show (ahem, Jennifer Garner and Michael Vartan), THAT would piss me off.

bitterpill

bitterpill

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 1:11 PM

But if they, you know, had dated in real life and broke up and it was messy and then no longer had good scenes together in the show (ahem, Jennifer Garner and Michael Vartan), THAT would piss me off.

Preach it, Lula!

If Lauren and Scott really don't get along, then they really are great actors, because their chemistry onscreen is some of the best I've ever seen(and I've watched t.v., seemingly, since birth).

apgold

apgold

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 1:59 PM

I kind of wish I had been on that WB tour b/c when the guide brought this up, I would've responded with "Really, what makes you say that? Have you actually seen them arguing?"

It could be based on hearsay. My personal belief is they might've had a big blow up one day due to long hours and perhaps a scene wasn't turning out right. I think LG was filming "Bad Santa" simultaneously with the show at one point and was exhausted.

So I think it must be based in some truth, but at the same time I don't necessarily think it's an ongoing thing. I don't believe that they don't get along or dislike each other currently. They aren't best buddies (or sleeping together) but I would like to believe that they get along and respect each other's work.

Anyway, if I were in their shoes (if only!), I wouldn't want to go to work every day and work closely with someone I disliked so much, no matter how much the studio was paying me.

I don't think we'll ever get a definitive answer on this unless someone asks them (and even then would we get the truth?). Perhaps we'll get an E! True Hollywood story someday after the show ends, but until then, let the speculation continue.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 5:35 PM

Apgold, you bring up an interesting point. I've wondered, what would happen if someone went on the tour and they saw SP snapping at an intern. The next thing you know, the message boards are flooded with how SP is a spoiled jerk who treats "the little people" like dirt. Of course, maybe SP got some really bad news about his father that day or something else equally stressful. And maybe he later apologized to the intern, but nobody saw that. So now, people are basing their opinion of Scott on that incident.

I imagine that Scott and Lauren get into tiffs every now and then. Hey, it happens when you work such long hours. But people probably see one happen and then jump all over it. If they were fighting all the time, as some like to infer, I think it would take its toll after five years. But like you said, I don't think we'll ever fully know until after the show ends.

erwsweetpea

erwsweetpea

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 6:22 AM

I kinda had an idea bout all this. Maybe they have like love/fight relationship. Yeah they get on eachothers nerves and sure they have probably had their fights but I bet they come out the other side with more respect for eachother. People have mentioned before about how L/L kinda love to fight. They are still friends afterwards, hell look at where they are now. I know that they aren't the characters they play but you can see some similarities.

I'm glad this thread is started because I was one of the people who hated when this topic came up but somehow I can enjoy it more here. I think it works out better to have tv and real life seperate. (Though I totally believe L/S are in love because L/L are but L/S have been since the beginning and they are going to live happily ever after! ... what? I have never been wrong and I'm not about to start.. so there!)

Capn Fotblossom

Capn Fotblossom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 7:18 AM

I think if they did hate each other they wouldn't be joking about how they're "sleeping together" (Winter Press Tour). And if they do hate each other, which I doubt, they do a good job of hiding it onscreen. That's all I need to know, baby.

I like the E(ek)! True Hollywood Story idea.