Kristen Bell: More Acting Chops Per Pound than Any Actor Around

• Please log in to reply

1035 replies to this topic

Feisty

Feisty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2005 @ 9:24 PM

Is the title too long? I thought people might appreciate yet another place to admire the excellent acting skills, the lovely real life personality, and whatever else you sick freaks want to about the star of our favorite show. :)

topanga

topanga

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2005 @ 11:08 PM

Kristen Bell is the best. I started this post wanting to list my favorite Veronica Mars moments, made great by Kristen Bell's line delivery. But as I started typing, I realized how long the post would be. So, I'm going to mention just a few of my favorites (forgive me if the quotes are a little off):

"Doesn't she care about me?" --Meet John Smith

"90 miles...what I wouldn't do to know that someone cared that much about me." --MJS

"Why haven't you looked for her? You can find anyone." --You Think You Know Somebody

"Wallace is a friend of mine. Take that (karate chop) high school guidance counselor." --MJS

"Had that worked, you would have gotten it." --MJS

"So you like her. We're just not talking about it." --Wrath of Con

"I don't feel so good, Papa Bear." --WoC

"You need to lay off the caffeine, Grrrrant. You're getting downright testy." --WoC

"Logan, what are you doing here?" --Lord of the Bling

"I wasn't aware I was getting paid...Then I'll stop braiding." --Mars vs. Mars

"Come on, Wallace. Don't you want to be BFFs?" --Ruskie Business

"Like, literally occupied? 'Cause we could just poke our heads in." --Ruskie Business

It's been so long since I've seen "An Echolls Family Christmas" and "Clash of the Tritans" that I can't remember my favorite moments from those episodes. And there were many.

I see why KB doesn't get any sleep. She delivers Emmy-caliber performances week after week. It seems to come so easily to her, but I know she works hard.

chortle

chortle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2005 @ 11:33 PM

Sorry but if the standard is pound for pound then the champion is Peter Dinklage, star of The Station Agent.

Opie301

Opie301

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2005 @ 1:26 AM

chortle, you don't want to even get me started on Mr. Dinklage.
"No tomatoes. They're too vulnerable. Kids, they're already vulnerable."
He and Zooey are what made that movie (the 'Elf' travesty) watchable.

But, in reference to Veronica Mars, the pound for pound champ is most definitely Kristen Bell. She gets me, at least once, in every episode.

nanaimo bar

nanaimo bar

Posted Mar 11, 2005 @ 3:28 AM

You guys forgot about Linda Hunt.

EnPassant

EnPassant

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2005 @ 10:02 AM

KB showed tremendous talent in her movie Gracie's Choice. In the movie, her character is often surrounded by her three younger half-brothers. Surrounding Kristen Bell with children truly emphasizes her tiny size.

nanaimo bar

nanaimo bar

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 3:20 AM

You know, sometimes it's not even about talent. Kristen Bell has, call it carisma or charm, but it's whatever made Marilyn Monroe or Clark Gable special. I want to see her in anything and everything.

hautecouture

hautecouture

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 3:54 PM

She's such a good actress. In Everwood they had her as a girl who's implants leaked and her size just made it so ironic and she played the part really well... it was sooo different from her Vmars role

Benito

Benito

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 4:08 PM

Let's just say Deadwood to Gracie's Choice to Everwood to The Shield to Veronica Mars to Reefer Madness shows a wee bit of range.

All she's missing is a straight-up romantic comedy type role, but it's not like there aren't 5000 lesser actresses already doing that.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:18 PM

All she's missing is a straight-up romantic comedy type role, but it's not like there aren't 5000 lesser actresses already doing that.

I wouldn't mind seeing her do that. As long as it's tastefully done.

RockinGranny

RockinGranny

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 2:21 PM

Let's just say Deadwood to Gracie's Choice to Everwood to The Shield to Veronica Mars to Reefer Madness shows a wee bit of range.

I agree, I think that KB is one of the best actresses out there right now, and she can switch into different characters extremely easly, most actresses cant do that. Its very impressive

Tremaine

Tremaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 7:10 AM

I have to say that Kristen Bell's delivery and facial expressions are just amazing. I'm very impressed with all of her scenes, especially several that have already been mentioned--her mixture of awkwardness and tenderness when comforting Logan, the quaver in her voice when she tells her dad, "You can find anybody!" or when she confronts Jake Kane in "An Echolls Family Christmas", etc.

blixie2

blixie2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 9:06 AM

Kristen is so awesome her charm can even make me tolerate highly annoying Mamet speak, she was the only thing that did not suck in Spartan.

or when she confronts Jake Kane in "An Echolls Family Christmas",

I think that's my favorite dramatic Kristen moment all season, she and Kyle Secor were amazing with just a couple of minutes screentime together, and it's why I am still all about her being Jake's daughter and Duncan/Lilly's sister.

Edited by blixie2, Mar 18, 2005 @ 12:31 PM.

Backup2.0

Backup2.0

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 6:37 PM

I liked how her nostrils flared when she confronted Troy about his sordid past. Very believable and might I add, sexy :)

I'm not sure I'd classify KB as a great actress yet. She may be perfect for the role of VM, but I'd have to see her in other, more challenging roles where she's playing someone more her own age. I guess in time we will see more of her acting ability in other material.

Having said that, I agree that KB is far better than the vast majority of TV actresses out there.

idreamofpeace

idreamofpeace

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 11:54 PM

She may be perfect for the role of VM, but I'd have to see her in other, more challenging roles where she's playing someone more her own age.

If you watch her in Deadwood, Spartan, or even Gracie's Choice, you'll see that the girl can play a wide range of characters. It's refreshing to see that she doesn't just play "Kristen." Plus, all the clips from the upcoming Reefer Madness movie show a totally different side of her.

She KNOWS how to act. You can tell that she's trained and it is utterly refreshing.

healing fish

healing fish

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2005 @ 11:56 PM

Anyone who can get beaten half to death and shot in the head convincingly cannot be accused of not having range. I'm just saying.

Backup2.0

Backup2.0

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 3:17 AM

Like I said, in time we will know if she is truly a great actress when we see her in more roles. Her body of work is still too small to accurately assess how wide her range of acting is. (BTW, I never said she didn't have range or didn't know how to act. Remember, context, context, context!) I will go as far as to say she is a very, very good actress, but right now I'm not ready to lump her in there with some of the greats just yet.

EnPassant

EnPassant

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 9:06 AM

I will go as far as to say she is a very, very good actress, but right now I'm not ready to lump her in there with some of the greats just yet.

A fair statement. I too look forward to our lovely Kristen Bell tackling more roles. I trust she will focus on quality. One role of Kristen's you don't hear cited much is The King and Queen of Moonlight Bay. Skilled acting only goes so far when you have mediocre dialogue, plot, and direction.

Mind you, I know some enjoyed Moonlight Bay. We all have our guilty pleasures. But it's not a true showcase for Kristen's talent. Thankfully, she was luminescent in Gracie's Choice. I watched those two movies within a week of each other. And if I hadn't seen Gracie's Choice, I might wait to post in this thread.

I realize Kristen was fantastic in Deadwood. But I lacked the stomach to finish watching it.

AzureOwl

AzureOwl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2005 @ 11:20 AM

I realize Kristen was fantastic in Deadwood. But I lacked the stomach to finish watching it.

If Kristen's appearence in Deadwood teached us anything, it's that she can play scary. The character of Flora was a scary psycho, if there ever was one. Never ceases to amaze me how someone so tiny could be so intimidating.

wykbbb

wykbbb

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 7:21 PM

If you want to take your Kristen love to a whole new level, you should watch the scenes in the pilot when Veronica finds Lilly's body and when she realizes she was raped in slow motion, with no sound. When viewed at normal speed, Kristen does a pretty great job. But when viewed in slow motion, you will notice all the subtle facial expressions and range of emotions that Kristen perfectly captures in those few minutes.

MrsTrick

MrsTrick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 7:32 PM

It seems to me that she is typecast as a rape victim.

EnPassant

EnPassant

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

It seems to me that she is typecast as a rape victim.

Aye, Deadwood was prostitution, the Shield was rape, Gracie's Choice was attempted rape, VM is rape, Spartan . . . something to do with White Slavery or sexual abuse . . . kidnapped I think, didn't see movie, so not sure. I want a nice romantic comedy without any overtones of abuse.

Benito

Benito

Posted Mar 26, 2005 @ 9:01 PM

Like I said, in time we will know if she is truly a great actress when we see her in more roles. Her body of work is still too small to accurately assess how wide her range of acting is. (BTW, I never said she didn't have range or didn't know how to act. Remember, context, context, context!) I will go as far as to say she is a very, very good actress, but right now I'm not ready to lump her in there with some of the greats just yet.

Let's just say that 98% of 24 year old actresses aren't going to have as much weight as her. And I don't mean physical weight.

chortle

chortle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 6:49 AM

Let's play a game. You are producing and directing your first independent feature film. You have financed it by maxing out far too many credit cards and with a loan from your fixed income grandparents who have mortgaged their home. The lead in your film is a cute, petite, spunky woman in her mid 20s and the actress has to be able to dance along a delicate line between drama and comedy. You have two actresses willing to do the role for the same money and other considerations. This is your one shot and you have to choose: Kristen Bell or Sarah Michelle Gellar?

grim squeaker

grim squeaker

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 6:59 AM

Iīm biased. I never liked SMG that much, and other than Buffy, non of her roles have impressed me. So itīs Kristen. (Itīs also an advantage that I wouldnīt have to look up constantly while giving directions. :) )

Backup2.0

Backup2.0

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 7:02 AM

In your scenario, I'd have to choose SMG. KB is a far superior actress, but SMG is a more well-known name and therefore probably more bankable.

If I was an independent producer with money to burn, then KB for sure.

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 7:05 AM

KB, because I heard SMG sing in 'Once More With Feeling,' and well. As a singer, she's a very good actress.

MrsTrick

MrsTrick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 11:02 AM

KB, because I heard SMG sing in 'Once More With Feeling,' and well. As a singer, she's a very good actress.

I think she was OK up until the last song (heeeeeaaven), which was a bad choice.

I would cast KB, because I figure at least all 300,000 of us, who voted on E poll, would go and see the movie.

EnPassant

EnPassant

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 11:17 AM

I'm a huge SMG fan. And I adore Kristen Bell. I'd be thrilled to get either actress. But if I was in the position to choose one or the other, I'd insist on tremendous one on one time with each actress, including dinner and long discussions to help me make this difficult decision. Of course, my wife would be attending these dinners, but she's a fan of both and I'd see if they could get James Marsters and Jason Dohring to attend our dinners.

*sigh* To face such a decision, heaven.

snowbutterfly

snowbutterfly

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2005 @ 11:26 AM

I think she was OK up until the last song (heeeeeaaven), which was a bad choice.

Yeah - that didn't sit perrfect with me either. But, and this is not overlooking the incredible genius who is joss who actaully wrote this whole score, but I think alot of that song weridness has to do with that very odd chord resolution. Even James Marters couldn't make it sound natural...

Still, one could argue that Joss wanted it to sound "off"...