Let history never forget the name Enterprise: Season 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

156 replies to this topic

tothemax

tothemax

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2005 @ 11:41 AM

People say TNG came into its own in the third season and I agree. After the unwatchable first two seasons, the third gave us classics such as Yesterday's Enterprise and Best of Both Worlds, Part I. It also gave us Vash. *shudder* Here we can discuss the ups (Locutus) and downs (stupid Vash) of TNG's third season.

Wildog27

Wildog27

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2005 @ 1:22 PM

Yesterday's Enterprise is one of the best episodes of science fiction ever. The complexity of the storyline, the differences in characterizations, the sense of gloom over the whole thing. It remains one of my favorites.

Edited by Wildog27, Mar 10, 2005 @ 1:23 PM.

kat_may

kat_may

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

Petty nitpick for the title: it was "Let's make sure that history never forgets the name Enterprise."

KimberleeJean

KimberleeJean

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 1:27 PM

Season 3 also gave us Barclay, didn't it?

I love Barclay, if for no other reason that there is a place in the future for flawed human beings such as myself.

Edited by KimberleeJean, Mar 17, 2005 @ 1:39 PM.

Tick Tock

Tick Tock

Posted Mar 19, 2005 @ 5:55 AM

If I had to pick one season that delivered the most consistently good scripts, this would be it. Along with "Best of Both Worlds," and "Yesterday's Enterprise," we had such gems as, "The Hunted," "The High Ground," "Deja Q," "The Defector," "Sarek," "The Vengeance Factor," "Sins of the Father," "The Most Toys," "A Matter of Perspective," "The Enemy," and "The Offspring." In fact, the only episode I really didn't care for was, "Captain's Holiday."

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 3:01 PM

I was watching "Yesterday's Enterprise" today, and I just read over at this wiki that originally, the battle sequence at the end was meant to not only feature Riker's death, but the decapitation of Wesley Crusher, and Data getting electrocuted! Holy crap, man. Decapitation? I can't imagine how they would've shown that on TV.

Gilmel

Gilmel

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 3:07 PM

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. But I have no actual information to base that on.

kat_may

kat_may

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 9:25 PM

IIRC I read that in the official TNG Companion. It was supposed to be really brutal.
My friend who is being introduced to Star Trek, and who adores Data, just saw "The Most Toys." He noted (angrily) that the quiet moment of shock when the crew sees Data's shuttle explode felt more real and sad than the crap in Nemesis.

wrighty555

wrighty555

Posted Jul 21, 2005 @ 11:19 PM

My friend who is being introduced to Star Trek, and who adores Data, just saw "The Most Toys." He noted (angrily) that the quiet moment of shock when the crew sees Data's shuttle explode felt more real and sad than the crap in Nemesis

I think that in "The Most Toys" it was a total unexpected shock when his shuttle exploded. In Nemesis while it was a shock somewhat, he was going over there to help the captain, and they didn't have any way of getting back. After that I think it was shock, as in "Holy shit he didn't actually make it."

My problem was the extremely poor writing of the get together at the end with the bridge crew. I'm sorry but the man just died, and you toast some wine and tell 2 stories before you cut. Christ Tasha Yar got a better send off, and that was during the first freeking year.

tothemax

tothemax

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2005 @ 5:15 PM

Here I thought I had seen all eps of TNG, but today my Tivo recorded an episode called The Bonding written by none other than Ron Moore. It's really interesting to watch it for the first time now and see the common themes in this ep, DS9, and BG about life and death while still maintaining TNG's utopian vision and idiosyncracies (like Troi saying, "I sense great anger," to Worf. Well DUH! Worf is angry 99% of the time, Little Miss Empath).

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 2:03 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I didn't like the kid's acting in that one.

TravelMug

TravelMug

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 9:32 PM

I can never distinguish in my mind between the kid in "The Bonding" and the kid who wanted to be an android and copied everything Data did.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 10:39 PM

The kid who wanted to be a mini-Data had a reason to act like a robot.

tothemax

tothemax

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2005 @ 12:02 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I didn't like the kid's acting in that one.

I couldn't get past his petrified hair.

geekchic9

geekchic9

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2005 @ 7:20 PM

In fact, the only episode I really didn't care for was, "Captain's Holiday."

Yes, but one thing about that episode was that it contained this exchange.

Riker: Captain, have I ever told you how interesting the women of Risa are?

Troi: Too often, commander.

I watched that today and that cracked me up.

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2005 @ 8:43 PM

"Captain's Holiday" is worth watching just for Picard's reaction to the possibility of Deanna's mother showing up.

kat_may

kat_may

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2005 @ 10:36 PM

Some thoughts after watching The Vengeance Factor... boy, is Riker a lech. Maybe three seconds after spotting the sovereign's servant girl, he gets all "heeeeey, how YOU doin'?" She was cute, though. I like his comfortable relationship with Troi; when they were sitting together in Ten Forward, the slampiece comes toward him, and Troi is all graciously, "I was just leaving," and Riker gives her such a sweet, admiring look.
The elitist factor, more associated with the first two seasons, showed up a little in this one I think. The stuffy old sovereign (who claims to be so civilized but seems to have indentured servants) looking at the lively, charismatic Gatherers as brutish pigs, and our crew seemed to share her viewpoint. I liked Brul, the first Gatherer leader, for making fun of Wesley and then just nonchalantly buddying up to him later. "You don't like me? No problem, I have lots of friends who don't like me." And then Wesley gets all righteously indignant about the guy being a thief, like, shut up, Wesley.
Lots of sloppy plotting, I think, like the way it's claimed that the head Gatherer guy who Yuta tries to kill before getting vaporized (have we ever seen a phaser do that so quickly, after one little zap?) was the last of the Lornak clan. But earlier when the old guy died, another Gatherer started stripping off his stuff because he said he was of the same clan. I liked that moment too, when the sovereign snotted, "have you no respect for the dead?!" and Brul just shrugged, "what's to respect about a corpse?"

Neko

Neko

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 9:26 AM

I thought he took the dead guy's stuff because he had found the body and no one from the dead guy's clan was around to claim it.

Moon Beagle

Moon Beagle

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2005 @ 2:16 AM

I think this is my favorite season of TNG. Lots of good characterization blended with lots of good action. It raised the series up above the talkie, preachy stuff to actual good storytelling. Imho its because Michael Pillar joined the writing staff.

A damn good episode was, "Sarek." Watching Picard carry Sarek's pent-up emotions is brilliant.

Coup Shiva

Coup Shiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 10:51 AM

Watched "A Matter of Perspective" last night, was struck by how I had never seen this episode before. Ever.

While the episode was rather uninteresting overall, I did enjoy the teaser: Picard painting (badly) and Data's attempt to diplomatically critique him.

The music during the opening of that episode really caught my attention. It was rather pretty, wasn't it? It didn't just linger in the subconscious like the rest.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 11:00 AM

The procedural part of the ep was dull and the "Riker is a hound" subtext grated on my nerves, but I thought the conclusion--the whoziwhat rays destroying the simulation just like they destroyed the real space station--was very clever.

HansBlix

HansBlix

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2006 @ 3:32 PM

So Booby Trap was a pretty neat episode, havent seen it in over 8 years. The Enterprise is trapped in an ancient power-sucking booby trap, while Geordi gets trapped by a whole different set of boobies on the holodeck (har har har!) But seriously, I liked this episode, and also the one in which Leah Brahms returns discovers that Geordi was using, and possibly abusing, her holodeck image. Poor Geordi, cant even get any holodeck action without being discovered.

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2006 @ 2:57 PM

Jesus, I'm watching Transfigurations (where the John Doe with amazing healing properties becomes a magical energy creature at the end), and the jumpsuit they've got John Doe in really leaves nothing to the imagination. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

Oh, and in this one Beverly falls in love with the Random Guy 'o the Week. I wonder if they flipped a coin whenever they wrote an episode with a vaguely attractive guy to decide whether it would be Troi or Crusher who got to fall in love.

Edited by Firecat, Apr 24, 2006 @ 3:00 PM.

HansBlix

HansBlix

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2006 @ 4:09 PM

Yeah, Transfigurations is one of the few TNG episodes that is just too cringe-inducing for me to watch. Its not the hilarious kind of bad, like most Season 1 episodes, but the awesomely grating kind.

Firecat

Firecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2006 @ 4:34 PM

Actually, now that I think it about it, they weren't flipping a coin, they were going with a simple heuristic: dude has mental problems? Hook him up with Troi. Dude has physical/medical problems? Hook him up with Crusher.

EmbiggenedSoul

EmbiggenedSoul

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2006 @ 5:03 PM

Jesus, I'm watching Transfigurations (where the John Doe with amazing healing properties becomes a magical energy creature at the end), and the jumpsuit they've got John Doe in really leaves nothing to the imagination. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

Ha! I was just watching that the other day and had the same thought. In what universe did they think that a tight white jumpsuit on a guy would be a good idea?? I didn't need to see the guys' nads in full glory, thank you very much costuming department. Oh wait, these are the geniuses who outfitted the sex-crazed people from Justice with those crotch-splitters.

I caught parts of an episode, I think it's season 3, with some kid or kids who are abused, and they're telling him he's human, but he insists that he's Tellerian or Talerian, whatever...I tried to pay attention, but boy was that ever boring. Plus, I think I've seen the end of the episode 100 times, but never the beginning, so I'm still not sure what it was about. Is it worth watching the whole thing?

Thanks, SVNBob! I'll go to the S4 thread!

Edited by EmbiggenedSoul, Apr 28, 2006 @ 12:33 PM.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2006 @ 12:35 AM

That's Suddenly Human, which is actually an early Season 4 episode. As for the rest of your questions, I'll take it to that thread.

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 3:21 PM

Most Ridiculous Dialogue Nominee:

In Evolution - Dr. Stubbs says to Picard "Captain, I've been inspecting the egg for years... you may lay it when ready."

Just to refresh your memories - This is the episode where a sleeping Wesley lets his nanites escape and their new playground is the ship's main computer. Oh, yeah, and Wesley's mom returns aboard ship!

This story is another teeny-tiny-things-grow-into-bigger-things-and-learn-English-to-tell-us-that-they-are-superior. I think I'll head off to the bathroom sink now with the Clorox Spray. I don't want any germs crawling on my toothbrush, invading my mouth and taking over my tongue to say "hey, you, bag of mostly water! Put the bleach down and back away."

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 5:31 PM

This story is another teeny-tiny-things-grow-into-bigger-things-and-learn-English-to-tell-us-that-they-are-superior. I think I'll head off to the bathroom sink now with the Clorox Spray. I don't want any germs crawling on my toothbrush, invading my mouth and taking over my tongue to say "hey, you, bag of mostly water! Put the bleach down and back away."

This? Is the funniest post I've read today. Thank you.

Bill C

Bill C

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2006 @ 7:19 AM

The whole BSC Shakespeare-in-forty-seconds scene from Ménage à Troi. "Listen, Tog!"