Lurching in the Courtroom: Casey Novak

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

309 replies to this topic

nameless slob

nameless slob

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 7:06 PM

Irregardles, welcome aboard!

I personally am not a Casey/Olivia shipper. I think if I were to shippy for a homossexual couple, I would choose Alex/Olivia, even though I think Alex deserves much better. But I am sure there are some Casey/Olivia fans hiding here somewhere. Maybe if you post in the HoYay and HetYay thread. Itīs probably some pages back. I hope you have luck finding them.

Irregardles

Irregardles

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 7:55 PM

I'm not so invested in the concept either, it's more a question of curiosity. Most characters are discussed in some sort of romantic context and how they play against Elliott and Olivia, but Casey is only dissected as a character and how she stacks up against Alex, with just a handful of references to her possible hook-up with Chester next year.

(I'm catching up on old seasons so I'm seeing her arc in quick succession, and I'm digging it.)

With so many invested in E/O and holding onto A/O, maybe there's no room for Casey in a romantic equation? I just find it really interesting that no one's suggested she'd be good with one or the other.

zero2aries

zero2aries

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 7:48 AM

Well irregardles (oh God - I didn't realise I was such a grammar nazi until it actually caused me pain to type your user ID - lol) while C/O is definitely not my chosen OTP for this show, and it does seem that the femslash pairing of choice for most posters on this site is A/O, there are plenty of C/O slashers out there.

You might want to check yahoo groups or livejournal communities search for copper_n_steel on yahoo and I think the same or some variation of that title on live journal

Or this site for links to sites SVU Femslash Fan Fiction links

or check out the fiction here Passion and Perfection

nameless slob

nameless slob

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:17 AM

With so many invested in E/O and holding onto A/O, maybe there's no room for Casey in a romantic equation? I just find it really interesting that no one's suggested she'd be good with one or the other.

and

I think I know what you mean, Irregardless. You statement made me think about that... And I think the answer, in my case, as to why I canīt ship Casey with anyone, is because I think the writers havenīt been able to make me care for the character of Casey Novak. She is presented as some little robot and therefore I canīt form some short of empathy with her. I remember in the episode Night, with her little exchange in the courtroom with Olivia, when she gets the flowers and makes joke about it and also about getting coffee. That made me care for her a little more, like: "awww she is human. And likable". And that, to me, is the first step to actually start to care for the character and want to devour into said characterīs personal life, speculating also about his/her romantic life. And there was an episode in season 7 (or was it 8?) where she actually put her arms around Olivia, in such a friendly, warm gesture. It reminds you she has feelings and emotions, and she care for others. But other then that, I canīt see anything that would make her seem human to me.

I can see Elliot, Cragen, Munch, Olivia and Alex with passions and emotions, and said characteristics playing a role into their lives and their actions. Casey: I see her only as a lawyer, impassive about her life, as if the writers are making this character neglect herself in order to be this image of a lawyer and nothing else. So, therefore I canīt care for her.

I actually would like to see the writers devour into a friendship between Casey and Olivia. I think both woman would benefit from it.

Edited by nameless slob, Jun 13, 2007 @ 8:21 AM.

pole23

pole23

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2007 @ 1:59 AM

Can you really call her a lawyer?? I know Im comparing but she seems so 'soft' compared to others....ie Alex Cabot.

Gribbs

Gribbs

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 29, 2007 @ 7:37 PM

From the first page:

Ah, yes, Casey. Casey is one of a kind. Her talents include losing even the easiest cases, dressing herself like a clown, and being unable to grasp terms such as "Shaken Baby Syndrome." Legal situations make her uncomfortable. Actually, most situations make her uncomfortable.

Hee! Casey got better over these two years, but I can't seem to warm up to her. It's not the flubs - the flubs on themselves would be fine. It's something about her posture. She has this confidant & tough act reminiscent of Mothership's Abbie Carmichael going for her that I have a really hard time buying because, well, I know she's a mediocre prosecutor at best.

The act only works when the DA's a certified badass, with A-Class Court-fu.

Francie Nolan

Francie Nolan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2007 @ 4:38 PM

I honestly need to know: WHY is Casey so incompetent?

Has the actress chosen to play her that way? Just doesn't have the skill to portray a smart person? Have the writers chosen to portray her this way as a continued foil for the calm cool brilliance of Alex? Did Diane Neal run over someone's dog?

What gives? I know it sounds like I'm joking, but this really does bug me. Considering the sensitvity of the cases, wouldn't this "dedicated and elite squad" be better served by someone who isn't a fucking idiot? (and can dress herself, but I digress.)

wormdog101

wormdog101

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

Just to preface this - I am a Mets fan. Everytime they gave Guillermo Mota the ball in the bullpen I started to scream, "No, no,not Mota" I find I am doing the same with Casey. Everytime she appears, I think, "No, No... don't give the case to Casey". It's painful to watch her character. I think all her loses have made her afraid of the courtroom. Tonight all she did was tell the detectives that they had nothing and they couldn't arrest. She has become the voice of lurchy doom.

niamhmcqueen

niamhmcqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 1:46 PM

I find Casey very hard to stomach. From the hideous orange dye-job on her hair, coupled with the horrible lip colour she always wears, to her voice.
It irks me that she was once a perp, convicted with two friends of raping a male stripper, then they bring her back as the new ADA and either expect us not to notice or not care if we do. It's bad enough that the likes of Terry Serpico has played about half a dozen different characters from cop to adult struggling as a victim of child abuse across the full L&O franchise, but to have a major character played by someone who was once a perp seems ridiculous to me and I love this show.
I wish Tamara Tunie was the ADA. They'd never lose another case with her kicking ass in the courtroom.

Edited by niamhmcqueen, Oct 29, 2007 @ 1:46 PM.

Rope55

Rope55

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

Niamh - Just wanted to point out, S. Epatha Merkerson in original L&O also played a bit role in an earlier episode before being cast a few years later as the boss.

After a long absence from watching SVU, I caught last night's episode, and I actually gasped with horror when Casey came on the screen. The make-up (blue eyeshadow, pink lipstick? what decade is this?), the hair (why would anyone dye their hair that awful brassy orange..esp someone with such fair skin!)...and, is it me, or has she gained quite a bit of weight?

niamhmcqueen

niamhmcqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2007 @ 1:10 PM

Oh, I didn't know that, Rope, but now I do it doesn't bother me, so it would appear I'm a huge hypocrite lol!

I do think she's gained weight too. I thought she might be pregnant, but don't care enough about her to bother Googling to find out.

Novus Questus

Novus Questus

Video Archivist

• Location:In front of my t.v. or computer. Or both. Like everyone else.
  • Interests:Considering the site, I'll start with the shows I like: BSG, Top Chef, Law and Order: SVU, Dexter, and House are on my must watch list, and I still mourn Deadwood. I will also watch various cartoons, when given the spare time. I have recently started pursuing Avatar: The Last Airbender enough to watch episodes online though.<br /><br />Other than that, well, I'm Jes(sica), an 20 year old college student (currently a nursing major) living in one of the several self proclaimed &quot;buckles&quot; of the Bible Belt. I'm an avid reader, kayak/canoe often, and have a fondness for pirates, sushi, and Puma shoes.

Posted Nov 22, 2007 @ 7:51 PM

The thing that gets me so much is that I once saw an interview with Diane Neal during a commercial break on an L&O marathon (Casey annoys me too much to ever seek something like that out on my own), and the actress who gives us the terrible, plodding, lurching, incompetent Casey is this hilariously charming woman. I actually rewound and rewatched. Diane Neal is brilliant. But Casey? Bless her heart, but that character needs some work.

HarleyJane

HarleyJane

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2007 @ 3:18 PM

Diane may be the most comical, charming woman in real life but I think her acting swings from incredibly wooden to extreme overacting. Her courtroom performances make me want to shield my eyes - or perhaps that is just her hair and make- up.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2008 @ 8:43 AM

Actually:

Diane does very well and I think shows that Casey is very much human more than anything else. I don't think she overacts at all, and what we see is a very determined person who just happens to be in a lot of ways fashion challenged, which is far from the worst thing out there.

risingson

risingson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2008 @ 3:52 PM

I do believe I recently caught the interview Novus Questus talks about. I believe it was called Character Insight or someting like that. And damn it be to glory...Diane Neal cracked me up. Her comparison of her father and Fred Thompson, the beatdown Casey took in Night just crazy,zany,thoughtful, witty, funny stuff. Ironically, she said that Casey Novak was her and I thought, "Oh hon, not even...better still not nearly enough of you."

missiemeghan

missiemeghan

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2008 @ 10:31 PM

Looks like Diane Neal will be departing at the end of this season, per E! and TVGuide.com

Januari

Januari

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

New blog from Diane!

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2008 @ 6:31 PM

This past Wednesday's (4/30) episode of the original series was apparently based in part on the death of Theresa Duncan.

That story was very creepy, and if they ever made a movie on Ms. Duncan, wouldn't Diane fit the character perfectly? Ms. Duncan in the photo looks eerily similar to how we have seen Ms. Neal look in the past!

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

Ms. Duncan in the photo looks eerily similar to how we have seen Ms. Neal look in the past!

Other than maybe the hair I don't see much of a resemblance.

rosettaresearch

rosettaresearch

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2008 @ 11:41 PM

That was a fine piece of acting by Diane in the scene with Judge Donnelly. To hear she is facing discipline for what she did with hiding hte report, she just looked like her world ended. All she wanted to do was put the bad guys away. Now, that is being taken away from her. True by her own actions, but you get see the pain on her face when she realized how serious it was.

They really should have found a better way to write off someone who have a 71% conviction right (higher than the national average of 44% according to the very woman who was chastising her). You don't create a character who is supposed to be a courtroom whiz then have her mess up a case with hiding evidence. She deserved that high paying white collar defense job she was offered in the beginning. Not facing a future with no legal job.

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

They really should have found a better way to write off someone who have a 71% conviction right (higher than the national average of 44% according to the very woman who was chastising her). You don't create a character who is supposed to be a courtroom whiz then have her mess up a case with hiding evidence. She deserved that high paying white collar defense job she was offered in the beginning. Not facing a future with no legal job.

That whole 77% conviction rate baffles me because she rarely wins a case on screen and hardly seems like a courtroom whiz.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

Actually, I could see it done where off-screen, it turns out there was some tampering with the evidence before anyone got it unbeknowest to Casey or anyone else by a "friend of the cop" who was killed, and that tampering forced Casey into her situation, at least eliminating any suspension, but with Casey still deciding to leave the DA's Office after this.

OkinawanSteel

OkinawanSteel

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2008 @ 5:20 AM

Wha-? How would tampering force Casey to lie to a judge and withhold information? That idea doesn't make any sense with the scene.

Casey looked guilty. She got busted. She confessed. There doesn't seem to be any reason to suspect she was forced into any action. And if she was, why wouldn't she say as much?

Edited by OkinawanSteel, May 15, 2008 @ 5:26 AM.

fifty8th

fifty8th

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2008 @ 9:00 AM

Actually, I could see it done where off-screen, it turns out there was some tampering with the evidence before anyone got it unbeknowest to Casey or anyone else by a "friend of the cop" who was killed, and that tampering forced Casey into her situation, at least eliminating any suspension, but with Casey still deciding to leave the DA's Office after this.

No matter what anyone else had done prior to her breaking the rules it does not change the fact that she did break rules and would still be suspended.

And if for some reason it did if she did not know the the tampering happened and broke the rules anyway then she is still as guilty as if there was no tampering.

turpentine

turpentine

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

What I don't get is what possessed Casey to act in such a way. And no, the whole "We can't always let the bad guys win" is not very compelling. I hate to compare this to Cabot's month-long suspension in Guilt but at least with that story we saw the motivation behind the ADA's actions.

She may not be my favorite character but it sucks to see the writers not giving Casey her due - having been on SVU as long as she has - by writing such a lousy exit. Weasels. Bah.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

Every time I force myself to watch this show, Casey is losing some trial that I think any competent atty who did any actual preparation, could win. I am legally changing her name (in my mind) to Losing Every Casey.

Oh Alex, come back...even tho I know you won't.

as1504

as1504

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

While I certainly recognize Casey's inelegance in the courtroom, can someone give me an example of what "lurching" is?
Now I will not even watch an episode of SVU if Alex isn't in it. I see Lurch and I want to scream.

labtest

labtest

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 6:43 AM

I have been calling her CaseLoss Novak for quite some time now. I honestly believe that somebody pulled in off the streets could do a better job of trying a case than Casey.
The 71% conviction rate surely applies to the percentage of Conviction episodes she watched.

Canna

Canna

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2008 @ 12:02 PM

I apologize for the cross-post, but I just found these character-specific threads and they provide a more suitable spot than the "Cold" thread for a Casey Epitaph of personal sadness.

xaverie It took me a long time to warm up to Casey but I'm sad she's going.

Word. When Casey first appeared in early S5, the contrast with Alex's legal brilliance and impeccable poise was like having a bizarre slapstick routine incomprehensibly injected into the show. She lost case after case, frequently on some laughably-incompetent gaffe, and they had her "look" thrashing around from one horrific outfit to the next. (Recall the Victorian Horseback-Riding Outfit of Death.) Having Cabot replaced by this "cartoon" caused audience whiplash, we A/O shippers were crushed, and the fans in general hurled abuse at the Pot Weasels for a long time. Well, seeing evolved-Casey in reruns after a long break from the show, I find I like her. She's got humour and spunk, she's the fallible "everyman" that Alex was not, and she doesn't take herself too seriously -- a trait from which some of the other characters could heartily benefit. She's no match for Alex as a lawyer ... but Her Cabot-Highness would be no match for Casey as a drinking buddy. :-) I'm glad they finally found her a decent hair-and-wardrobe team, and I'll miss her self-effacing "because I suck" and "you rang?" interjections, amidst all the dire, lingering faceshots-of-angst of which this show is so fond.

A couple of people made a very apt comparison to "Burn Card", Jesse Martin's recent outro from the Mothership. The tone of that excellent ep would have been so much more appropriate for Casey's exit. Ed Green left smiling: admitting his trouble with gambling, fondly/sadly remembering Briscoe, sorry to leave, but still radiating that good-humoured Ed Green smile and wearing his snazzy cap. :-) That would have been a much better sendoff for Casey, eh? She was much like Ed, in the sense of a character who lightened the tone of the ensemble. Instead they had her engaging in legal underhandedness, apparently overcome with dark despair. That's not Casey! When was Casey ever overcome with dark anything? That's O & E's job. And skating close to the legal edge was Alex, who was superb at it. Amen to the posted suggestions regarding "Cold": Casey should have gone out in her cute "Sex Crimes" T-shirt, packing up her softball gear ... and thank you Irregardles for this excellent image:

a goodbye scene at the local Irish cop bar where since she was leaving anyway she could finally make a drunken pass at Olivia

:-D Cheers, Casey Novak. To our collective surprise, we* will miss you.

* at least some of us

Edited by Canna, Jun 10, 2008 @ 12:03 PM.

smithyronny

smithyronny

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 6:49 PM

I read through all 18 pages of this thread before watching Night. Is it rude that I burst out laughing after we saw Casey's face after she was beaten up? And after she woke up in hospital? Her resemblance to a clown in that episode was uncanny