How Do I Look?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

418 replies to this topic

rockclimber

rockclimber

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2005 @ 12:17 PM

The episode I hated was the one with the girl who shopped at yard sales for all of her clothes. True, her outfits were terrible, but she should not have had that makeover. They ended up convincing her to be a label whore who spends massive amounts of money on trendy clothes.
Her friends and husband should have either taken her to a thrift or vintage store and helped her pick out some clothing. Or, the show should have showed her how to stay environmentally conscious and cheap without looking like a two year old.
Thrift and vintage stores have come a long way, and you can dress nicely without comprimising your values. They turned a good conscious hippy into a monster!

syone26

syone26

Posted Apr 5, 2005 @ 1:15 PM

I thought I was the only one watching this show.

1) Love Finola as well. I like her better now because of those snarky comments she makes when the MO gets really upset over losing some hideous piece of clothing. Or have the nerve to act like they know anything about fashion. (Which BTW totally pisses me off because if you knew anything about fashion people would not have nominated you for the show genius. Very rarely does anyone have an open mind when they are being shown the collections. I'm so waiting for Finola to haul off and smack one of them for being such ungrateful snits.)

2) Do I agree with the comment upthread that something is missing from the show. I feel like some episodes have it and others don't. I think it really depends on the subject.

3) ITA agree about Jess Zaino. Maybe if she was on the show that dealt with teenagers or young people that want to be hipsters. Otherwise she has no place. And I would be so scared if she showed up at my door. Half the time she looks crazy.

4) Of all the episodes I've seen, the most grateful person was Jas "Hooker-turned-big hair debutante wannbe." Granted she looked terrible IMO (big hair, puke green, high waisted thing), she looked way better than before. She should have chosen another outfit.

KimberleeJean

KimberleeJean

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2005 @ 2:22 PM

Do I agree with the comment upthread that something is missing from the show. I feel like some episodes have it and others don't. I think it really depends on the subject.

I've been thinking about this, and I think the thing that seems "off" or "missing" (for me, at least), is that the absolute best part of the show is the three collection reveals.

You end up seeing the final outfit three times: outfit reveals, when the MO is first trying it on, then during the final reveal. While the MO looks somewhat different, with all the hair and make-up done, really the excitement starts to fade after you see the clothes the first time.

IMO, the rest of the show is a little "downhill" after the initial reveals.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2005 @ 10:47 PM

{Amanda (the punk girl's)} mother was awful, and everyone seemed hell-bent on making her feel really, really bad about how she was dressing. Additionally, they kept remarking about how she was getting older, etc, and she was like, 24 or something.

Younger than that, even. She was 21.

Last night the "cartoon character" make over was on again. I have to agree with the girls boyfriend that it wasn't "her". She didn't look natural and the look didn't seem to fit her personality.

Ah, Yvette. At the end, she did look a bit like a carbon copy of her sisters. It definitely was a big change for her.

But she was happy about it. So something about it must've felt right to her.

She didn't like her hair colour and said that she would go back to red.

I had to laugh that the self-proclaimed "rock chick" stylist took {Bill from Teksture's} not picking her collection so hard.

I know. She was quite an ass about it, I thought. I hope she's not asked back.

4) Of all the episodes I've seen, the most grateful person was Jas "Hooker-turned-big hair debutante wannbe." Granted she looked terrible IMO (big hair, puke green, high waisted thing), she looked way better than before. She should have chosen another outfit.

I liked her hair and makeup, but I didn't like the dress that much. And Jas herself said at the end of the episode that she didn't like how the makeover turned out. Just by her expressions and body language, I could tell she didn't like it. I think she's either reverted back by now; or she's found a different way to tone down.

syone26

syone26

Posted Apr 6, 2005 @ 2:09 PM

I meant to say Jas was the most ungrateful person.

ajrat71

ajrat71

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2005 @ 6:44 PM

The odd thing about the Jas makeover is that she nominated herself. She was so negative throughout the entire episode and acted like she'd rather be anywhere else. I'd think if you were asking for a makeover, you'd be open to changing your look. What did she think was going to happen?

ajrat71

ajrat71

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2005 @ 6:44 PM

Oops! Double post.

Edited by ajrat71, Apr 6, 2005 @ 6:46 PM.

syone26

syone26

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 12:04 PM

OMG, the woman on last night, Secret-Hair-Stuck-in-the-80s mom, got on my last nerve. I was screaming at the TV. If I was Finola, I would have said this is over after she saw the collections. Totally ungrareful. Jas has been replaced. At this point, I can't remember all the funny and clever things I said last night. Damn memory loss!

MA was so funny! And her sister was killing me as well.

Just a question: I'm not a mom so that's why I am asking. Is it really that hard to say to your husband watch the kids for a few hours while I go to the mall to get some clothes that are from this decade and get my hair done? Or if your husband is totally useless, call a friend?

One more thing, I think people on these shows have the opposite of what people with eating disorders have. People with eating disorders look in the mirror and don't like what they see when they should. The "victims" look in the mirror and like what they see when they really shouldn't. lol.

Boton

Boton

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 12:28 PM

I don't know, syone26, I may have to respectfully disagree. Last night's MO broke my heart. It isn't that I thought she couldn't stand to update her wardrobe, but she was pulling together a look that she liked and felt comfortable in each day. She was clearly doing this to please her family, so they are the ones who should be grateful. I absolutely hate these shows when they take someone who is perfectly happy as they are and instill a whole bunch of self doubt. If she bleaches her hair tomorrow and pulls the rest of her old 80s wardrobe out to wear, she will never feel quite as good about herself again.

And I'm not a mom, but I know that it is not always a question of finding the actual time for shopping that can get you in a rut. It is very easy to get pulled into the satisfaction of caring for others until you forget about caring for yourself. Just this morning, I was cleaning house, and I cleaned Mr. Boton's home office and almost reflexively started to skip my own--if it isn't doing for someone else, it feels like the work doesn't have the same value or deserve the recognition. On the other hand, no amount of doing anything for Mr. Boton has ever kept me from shopping, so YMMV.

caitmcg

caitmcg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 12:58 PM

I saw the Jas episode recently, and holy shit. She seemed embarassed about being mistaken for a streetwalker, but i'm surprised it didn't happen on a daily basis. Who else wears crotch-length skirts and hotpants with six-inch heels on a daily basis? My take on Jas was that she only nominated herself because she wanted her ex back and knew he disapproved of the way she dressed, and once they started the process and he wasn't gushing or obviously ready to jump back into her arms, she lost interest. Also, she was a weird combination of insecurity and bravado. She said she didn't like covering up more because she gets less attention from men (and she clearly has no sense that the kind of attention she's been getting is probably less than healty), and also that when her ex would tell her she's beautiful, she didn't believe him. I think she doesn't believe she's attractive unless she's showing off her girly bits. She had been nerdy and felt ugly in high school, and she felt her body was boyish, so she totally overcompensated. I have a feeling she just kept wearing skimpier and skimpier clothes when she started getting attention from men for it, because it's feedback she can't give hersef personally.

As for last night's MO, Lauri, I think she liked the clothes fine (and she looked really good in her reveal outfit). I think she was a case of having felt attractive 20 years ago when she met her husband, with the peroxide hair and big bangs and frosty pink lipstick, and having internalized the idea that that is the only way she feels pretty, so there's no way she was going to feel good with dark hair. Finola said she picked her sister's collection because of the clothes, and she suffored for it in terms of the hair, I guess. And, yeah, her look was outdated, but damn, it's harsh of her teenage daughters to keep her away of school events because of it.

Twistie

Twistie

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2005 @ 2:05 PM

Frankly, I think a lot of the MOs have much bigger problems than a makeover can fix. Last night's MO said she felt like 'a monster' in her new dark hair, even though she really liked the clothes. She even said she only did the makeover for her family and not herself. She was gorgeous, but nothing could convince her she wasn't hideous. That level of low self-esteem isn't going to change because of a nice outfit and new haircut.

As for her daughter, I'd love to slap the bitch. Deciding her mother doesn't deserve to see her high school activities because she's not a fashion plate? That's vicious, shallow, and incredibly short-sighted.

I know I was glad when my mother tried a new look after twenty years of dressing like it was still the Sixties, but I would never have dreamed of shutting her out of my life because she wasn't fashionable. She was my mother, I loved her, and I wanted her with me whenever I was doing something to be proud of. Because of that, I have thousands of warm, wonderful memories to remind me how terrific my mother was, now that she's gone.

This girl is going to be left with a huge hole in her heart when she doesn't have her mother around anymore. What's more, that poor woman is going to go to her grave knowing her daughter cares more about how she dresses than what she has to say. In feel sorry for them both.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 12:56 PM

I know you are talking to Syone26, yet I wanted to interject.

It isn't that I thought she couldn't stand to update her wardrobe, but she was pulling together a look that she liked and felt comfortable in each day.

Jas felt comfortable looking like a hooker. She liked looking like a hooker. That was not ok. Just think of Tammy Faye Baker. Somebody should have told her way back when.

She was clearly doing this to please her family, so they are the ones who should be grateful.

That's her biggest problem, doing everything for family. I hate it when I hear of women who lose themselves in their families. Instead of making me feel like they are such great people for sacrifcing, I feel like the opposite. I don't think you have to be martyr to be a good wife and mother.

I absolutely hate these shows when they take someone who is perfectly happy as they are and instill a whole bunch of self doubt. If she bleaches her hair tomorrow and pulls the rest of her old 80s wardrobe out to wear, she will never feel quite as good about herself again.

Sometimes self-doubt is good. She looked terrible IMO. She wasn't living up to her potential. She is a good-looking women so everybody should see that instead of that fried, blond mess on her head and that awful way-too-young-for-her pink dress.

if it isn't doing for someone else, it feels like the work doesn't have the same value or deserve the recognition.

Man, I hope I never feel that way. You can't do for others unless you do for yourself sometimes.

YMMV. What does this stand for?

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 1:22 PM

Man, that Lauri chick was annoying!

whirlygirly

whirlygirly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 1:43 PM

And, yeah, her look was outdated, but damn, it's harsh of her teenage daughters to keep her away of school events because of it.

Totally agree. But I have to say.. I was feeling sorry for her until she showed up the second day actually wearing that horrible dress. The only way I would've let her keep it is if she promised to never, ever wear it again. I know it had a lot of memories for her, but geez, lady, make a scrapbook! Or if you really must keep the dress, hang it in a special part of the closet or something but don't wear the damn thing! I'm sure her wedding day was special too, but she doesn't go around wearing that dress all the time, does she?

I didn't mind the blond hair on her all that much. It seemed to suit her personality, and she obviously liked it so I'm sure she went back to it after the show. I just hope she has it professionally done now instead of the at-home peroxide job with the dark hair in the back. And she did seem to like the updated clothes so maybe at least that part of the makeover will stick with her. I bet she still wears the frosty pink lips, though.

ETA: nicepebbles, YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary

Edited by whirlygirly, Apr 18, 2005 @ 1:49 PM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 4:38 PM

Yeah, her problem wasn't so much that she hated the makeover. It's just that, in her mind, blond is beautiful. And, if she wasn't blond, she wasn't beautiful. In fact, she was a monster. (That, more than anything, told me she needed waaaaay more help than a makeover could provide.) I think that, had she been wearing the same clothes, and had the same hairstyle, only in blond, she woulda been perfectly happy. It was the "I'm not a blond anymore" thing that traumatised her.

Edited by Bitterswete, Apr 18, 2005 @ 4:39 PM.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 7:49 PM

Lori's voice was so annoying and her daughter was well on her way to having the exact same voice.

ITA with what everyone else has said about her. People tend to cling to a time in their life when they were the happiest. And she is clinging on for dear life.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 8:22 PM

People tend to cling to a time in their life when they were the happiest. And she is clinging on for dear life.

Indeed, Aimee. That was my thought while watching this. She felt her most beautiful in the 1980s, so she continued to dress in those clothes twenty years onward, rather than update her look throughout the years. I swear, I saw her clothes and felt like I stepped into a time warp.

I was also pissed off when she made her comment to the effect of "Only blonde is beautiful." The hell? She couldn't be beautiful with her natural brown locks? Definitely some issues there, which I think her mother had something to do with by, pretty much, encouraging Lauri to become a blonde instead of affirming that she was beautiful with her natural brown hair while she was a girl.

In a weird way, Lauri also reminded me of Judith, who was made over on the UK version of What Not To Wear a few years ago. Although Lauri wasn't exactly in a mid-life style crisis, both she and Judith seemed virtually set in their style ways (Lauri in her 1980s clothes; Judith in clothes that looked better on her teenage daughter); and they didn't like their hair after it was coloured (and, in Judith's case, restyled).

And yes, Mark Alan was hilarious.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2005 @ 10:11 PM

I didn't mind the blond hair on her all that much. It seemed to suit her personality

What personality?
Maybe a darker blonde, but not that white blonde.
Her voice was indeed annoying.
Loved Mark Alan this episode!

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2005 @ 9:58 AM

People tend to cling to a time in their life when they were the happiest. And she is clinging on for dear life.

I was happy when I was five but I don't wear the same clothes or walk around in pigtails. Maybe I'm too young to understand.

That whole blonde thing pissed me off, too. I guess Asians, Africans, anybody that is a natural brunette better go put a bag over their head.

Totally agree. But I have to say.. I was feeling sorry for her until she showed up the second day actually wearing that horrible dress. The only way I would've let her keep it is if she promised to never, ever wear it again. I know it had a lot of memories for her, but geez, lady, make a scrapbook! Or if you really must keep the dress, hang it in a special part of the closet or something but don't wear the damn thing! I'm sure her wedding day was special too, but she doesn't go around wearing that dress all the time, does she?

WORD! I seriously wanted Finola to rip that thing off and give her a bathrobe or something. It was hideous.

Her daughter should not have been as harsh as she was yet I understand. I remember one time my mom showed me this awful, I mean awful dress, and I busted out laughing. I was like please tell me you are not going to wear that. I said that's hideous and too old for you. Just tell your mom what you don't like instead of banning them from your life. When they leave this earth, the last thing you will be thinking about is what they wore. You will be thinking about how she was always at your games, and whatnot.

caitmcg

caitmcg

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2005 @ 11:21 AM

That whole blonde thing pissed me off, too. I guess Asians, Africans, anybody that is a natural brunette better go put a bag over their head.

I doubt she feels that way about all women - after all, her younger daughter had brown hair. I think she just felt that she was only attractive as a blond, because that's how she is used to seeing herself.

Bluedragon

Bluedragon

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2005 @ 2:17 PM

To be honest I think the first thing I would have done if I were her would be to take the daughter to the hair dresser to have HER hair cut short and dyed brown. Where does this kid and the others get off saying she MUST have dark hair when they themselves (maybe not so much the sister) have light hair. Why couldn't they have just made her a midrange honey blond and given her a k-pak and or deep conditioning? *sigh*

Though I do have to say, she definately needed a change, but why so traumatically dramatic?

And I'm sorry, but thongs ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE! Sheesh.

Edited by Bluedragon, Apr 19, 2005 @ 2:18 PM.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2005 @ 5:44 PM

I was happy when I was five but I don't wear the same clothes or walk around in pigtails. Maybe I'm too young to understand.

While I see your point, that's not exactly what Aimee meant.

There is this thought that women tend to hang on to--style-wise--the time in their life when they believed they were their most beautiful, rather than adapting their look with the times. In Lauri's case, it was the 1980s (and possibly even the early 1990s) with the coloured tapered jeans, the gaudy t-shirts, that horrible dress, and the pearly pink lipstick.

I think she just felt that she was only attractive as a blond, because that's how she is used to seeing herself.

Not to mention her mother practically encouraged her to become a blonde by helping her dye her hair when Lauri was a girl, instead of giving Lauri confidence and affirmation and informing her she was just as beautiful as a brunette.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2005 @ 6:16 PM

While I see your point, that's not exactly what Aimee meant.

There is this thought that women tend to hang on to--style-wise--the time in their life when they believed they were their most beautiful, rather than adapting their look with the times. In Lauri's case, it was the 1980s (and possibly even the early 1990s) with the coloured tapered jeans, the gaudy t-shirts, that horrible dress, and the pearly pink lipstick.

Yes that is what I meant. Just like she was hanging on to that dress that she was wearing when she met her husband, she was also hanging on to the hair, the make-up and the accessories, because (and I'm no psychologist) that was what he found attractive. She probably thought she had to keep that look in order to keep him. At least sub-consciously anyway. And he seemed like the type of guy who probably told her he would love her no matter what she looked like but she doesn't believe him. It is a self-esteem issue brought on by her mother (probably). I do wonder why her sister didn't seem to be subjected to the early color lesson. Isn't it odd how 2 siblings can grow up in the exact same house and come away with completely different experiences?

That being said, I don't understand why they needed to make such a drastic change to her hair color. There are a lot of colors between platinum blonde and dark auburn brown that would have been as flattering and less jarring for her.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 7:41 AM

That being said, I don't understand why they needed to make such a drastic change to her hair color. There are a lot of colors between platinum blonde and dark auburn brown that would have been as flattering and less jarring for her.

I don't think they realized how freaked she'd be by the color change. To most people, it's just hair color, and some people change it the way they change shoes. But this MO had psychological issues tied up in her hair that I don't think anyone really expected.

Also, I agree with the poster who said the show loses a little steam after the MO tries on all the collections. I think they should not only cut that part out (it's a very short segment, so could be filled with something else) but stop revealing who chose each collection until the very end. It would make the part where the person who chose the "winning" collection is asked to stand up a little more suspenseful.

Edited by Bitterswete, Apr 20, 2005 @ 7:42 AM.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 2:43 PM

But if you remember her real hair color (patch in the back) was the same color if not lighter than the hair color they gave her. I agree with the poster who said they didn't expect it to me as traumatic. I think they didn't think it would be so bad is because her real hair color is basically what she got in the end.

I think she just felt that she was only attractive as a blond, because that's how she is used to seeing herself.

I still think a part of what she was saying is that Blond is beautiful and only blond. I just got that vibe from her.

Irregardless

Irregardless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2005 @ 10:59 PM

I watched the rerun of the "punk mom" victim. The contrast between her and the "Blonde is Beautiful" mom are startling. Even though they threw away all her shoes and belts (though it wouldn't have killed them to let her keep one pair of her Chucks... jesus!), she didn't have a complete meltdown at the end. They didn't change her hair color all that much, but she rolled with it very nicely.

shawnadammit

shawnadammit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2005 @ 10:55 AM

I think the 'punk mom' was such a beautiful girl. Bless her heart, she did go along with everything pretty nicely.

willagirl

willagirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2005 @ 5:50 PM

I'm a little surprised by all the Finola love. Let me passive-agressively qualify this by first saying that I've always really liked her and think she is pretty and despite my opinion of her as the host, I still watch this show.
BUT she has absolutely no chemistry with anyone who appears on this show. It kills me everytime someone sits there watching one of their friends pick out clothes and, all throughout, they're constantly exclaiming things like, "Oh my god, I'd never wear that!" or "I can't believe she thinks that's cute!" or, "That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen!" Then, when it's over, Finola turns to them and asks, "So, what did you think?" It's hilarious. I've also noticed she doesn't tend to get people's jokes and just sort of awkwardly nods in silence. Weird!

Finola either needs to have wittier reactions or the show needs to fire the director for not making her look more interesting.

But I'll still be watching.

Kiki5

Kiki5

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2005 @ 12:32 AM

Did anyone see the one with the nutritionist and girlfriend of the guy who made Super Size Me?

I thought she looked like Jane Krakowski when they were done with her. (that's a compliment)

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 10:49 AM

I didn't see all of the one with the SuperSizeMe GF so I don't know how she turned out. I just wanted to say that Finola has a nerve to be telling people they look bad when her stylist puts her in some questionable stuff. That outfit she wore the next day at the studio was ugly.

Also, when the stylist was like, "This is polyester", I thought of a story my grandmom told me. She was at work one day when two guys got into it. Guy A says something snarky to Guy B. Guy B responds, "I heard you were out with those two whores last night." Guy A is like, "What?" Guy B says, "Poly & Esther." My grandmom cracked up.