Glark

Glark

Posted Mar 7, 2005 @ 4:57 PM

Media-y!

Tarheel

Tarheel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2005 @ 7:59 PM

Mariska on Leno, Stephanie March in movie trailers, Meloni in Entertainment Weekly, and Diane Neal in...a fruit hat? Put all yer SVU media mentions here.

To start us off did anybody actually see Mariska on Leno? any mixed animal metaphors to share?

sharkwithfeet

sharkwithfeet

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 7, 2005 @ 9:34 PM

How about Tamara Tunie on the Discovery Channel? On tomorrow morning's episode of Party Planner with David Tutera, to be exact. Yahoo! TV says it's on at 10:00 am Central. And I wouldn't be surprised if the guests at the party were other SVU cast and crew members.

UltraViolet730

UltraViolet730

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2005 @ 9:54 PM

To start us off did anybody actually see Mariska on Leno? any mixed animal metaphors to share?

Not sure if you're joking, but in the old thread, there was a somewhat rancorous discussion of MH's somewhat ridiculous appearance. No mixed animal metaphors, but plenty of girlish enthusiasm as wll as a nice display of just the girls.

We were spanked for over-discussing it there, but now that we have a whole media thread of its own, I guess we can dis/dish to our hearts' content. As long as we don't snipe at each other!

I do wonder if MH considered the fallout from her appearance. If you do a Google news search for SVU, two stories come up with rather unflattering headlines:

Law & Order: SVU star gets favors from police officers and
COPS REGULARLY HELP LAW + ORDER STAR HARGITAY

Someone in the old thread provided a link to the second one, I think. Maybe she'll lose the ticket and police car/cab ride stories from her repertory now.

Speaking of Marish ("You forgot the H!"), there's a story in a Mississippi paper about a local girl starring in this week's episode:

A rare dramatic portrayal on the show by comedian Martin Short is what TV Guide spotlights, but series regular Mariska Hargitay is the star that Taylor most enjoyed meeting.

"She was very bubbly... very happy all the time," Taylor said. "She's definitely a lot different than her character."

I just found that amjusing after our extended discussion of the very same topic.

ETA: Wow, I wish I could see that Tamara Tunie appearance, sharkwithfeet. I have the vague memory of someone saying that TT has a cool brownstone in Harlem. I'd love to see her house and her husband and her bedroom... Okay, I'll stop. Hope someone sees it, so we can get a report.

Edited by UltraViolet730, Mar 7, 2005 @ 9:58 PM.

Tarheel

Tarheel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2005 @ 11:26 PM

UV I took a hiatus from the old thread, so I'll have to go back and read that. Just the girls?? Are we talking Courtney Love on Letterman stuff here??

UltraViolet730

UltraViolet730

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2005 @ 11:33 PM

I thought you were MIA - glad you're back. And no, it wasn't MH's girls-gone-wild or anything. She just wore a top that showed them off nicely. I think you can see the clip from her appearance here.

Tarheel

Tarheel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2005 @ 11:49 PM

I went back and read all of the comments. I've said before that MH the person actually reminds me a bit of her Cynthia Hooper character on ER. That Leno stuff did nothing to dispell that notion. FWIW, I also suspect that about 9½ out of 10 nighttime talk show guests are drunk from all the free flowing booze in the green room.

Learned Hand

Learned Hand

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2005 @ 6:52 PM

New interview with Chris Meloni. Lovely photo included!

Audiences "dig" him, the article says. Understatement of the year! And I didn't know that CM worked in construction before he started acting. I wonder if that explains those arms. Mm, those arms.

ETA: Heh. Now I feel silly, because people on the thread where I found this link are talking about how glad they are that CM is getting attention for his acting skills and not just for being hot. And while I do think he's a very fine actor, my first thought when I saw that article/picture is that he's very fine...period.

Edited by Learned Hand, Mar 8, 2005 @ 6:54 PM.

KillingTime

KillingTime

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2005 @ 9:20 AM

B.D. Wong is going to appear in a PSA for same sex parenting.

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Barney Frank will film an ad defending same-sex parenting in response to the flap over a PBS children's program denounced by the Bush administration for showing kids with lesbian mothers.....

Actor B.D. Wong and Karen Pike, one of the mothers from the episode, will also appear in it.

The PSA will appear on a variety of Web sites later this month and will be provided to television outlets. Since it is not a paid ad, the stations must choose to run it.

Boston Herald

Edited by KillingTime, Mar 9, 2005 @ 9:21 AM.

Learned Hand

Learned Hand

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2005 @ 12:24 PM

I was very sorry to read this, and wish all the best to Mariska and her dad for a speedy recovery.

Page Six

UltraViolet730

UltraViolet730

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2005 @ 12:34 PM

Oh, that is bad news, Learned Hand. MH and her father seem very close and so proud of each other. I hope he makes a swift, full recovery.

captain sam

captain sam

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2005 @ 4:59 PM

Oy. L&O really is inescapable. There's an article in the latest Fortune magazine about Dick Wolf and how he created a lasting franchise, blah blah blah. It covers some statistics about the L&O multiverse (sales of over $1 billion/year, over 100 million viewers/month, etc.), and some backstory on Wolf. They also talk about recurring guest actors, as there are only 69,000 SAG members in NYC.

The SVU bits are pretty flattering, as are the pictures of MH in a deep purple button-down blouse on set. The article's author writes: "...the closest thing to a star on any of Wolf's shows: Mariska Hargitay, the 41-year-old actress who plays Olivia Benson, the smart, brave, fiercely driven sex-crimes detective." He goes on: "Hargitay is breathtakingly beautiful.... What is unexpected is how brainy she is and how deeply involved she has become with her character and the issues explored on SVU."

Predictably, MH whips out the "mother lion" references. She also says "Life in L.A. is easy. They're pansies. I was a pansy. I'm a tough girl now. I was not when I started." There's some stuff about her rape crisis counselor training and how she's good to her fans, and that's it for SVU.

Edited by captain sam, Mar 11, 2005 @ 5:01 PM.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2005 @ 7:41 PM

the closest thing to a star on any of Wolf's shows:

Excuse me? Nearly spat out my Diet Coke on that one. And I'm sure Bebe Neuwirth is staring at the 2 Tonys and 2 Emmys on her mantle wondering what the hell that writer was smoking.

Edited by Eliot, Mar 11, 2005 @ 7:42 PM.

Brandon

Brandon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2005 @ 10:10 PM

She also says "Life in L.A. is easy. They're pansies

Really, something tells me Mariska never been to the Southern or Eastern parts of the fair city of angels.

Edited by Brandon, Mar 12, 2005 @ 8:32 AM.

Sing1118

Sing1118

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 5:49 PM

What is unexpected is how brainy she is and how deeply involved she has become with her character and the issues explored on SVU."

So just because she's pretty, she can't be concerned about the welfare of others?
I know people poke fun at her for it, but I think it's sweet that she's a counselor. She hears a lot about it and realized that these women have a lot of trouble and decided to help. That's admirable.

tereza

tereza

Posted Mar 13, 2005 @ 6:06 PM

I also think it's very admirable of her to be involved in this cause. I can't imagine how hard must be to cop with something like that. I think that reporter was playing with the "dumb blond" stereotype and the "all TPTB want is a pretty chesty woman" logic that the bussiness use. But even so, for him to jump into that conclusion. As a reporter, I think this guy should give the facts and keep his stupid stereotyped and machist opnions inside. If better, shove it into his ass.

UltraViolet730

UltraViolet730

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2005 @ 1:35 AM

A humorous spoof of NBC's reliance on the Franchise, NBC Rebrands All Shows With “Law And Order” Title. Some highlights:

Network hopes “Law and Order: Joey” and “Law and Order: The Today Show” will draw viewers

Network executives have left no room for doubt in their memo mandating that every program add “Law and Order” before its existing title. As a result, some viewers are getting confused by listings in TV Guide for shows like “Law and Order: Law and Order: SVU.”

zooropa

zooropa

Posted Mar 14, 2005 @ 9:44 PM

Ice-T inducted Seymour Stein into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tonight. Stein is the founder of Sire Records and signed Ice-T to his first record deal. I bring it up here because he kind of mentioned SVU in his comments. This from a weblog from a guy who is watching the live broadcast -

Ice-T is here to induct Seymour. Ice tells a great story about when he met Stein: Seymour played calypso and danced around. Ice, drug dealer from the hood, didn't quite get it. Seymour said I don't have to quite get you to know you have something to say. Ice concludes by saying he wouldn't by playing a MF cop on Law and Order if Seymour hadn't saved his life by letting him make a career out of music.

Edited by zooropa, Mar 14, 2005 @ 9:46 PM.

UltraViolet730

UltraViolet730

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:38 PM

Some info on the food served at SM's wedding. Taken from 5 Questions with Bobby Flay:

Flay married actress Stephanie March (most recently of “Law & Order: SVU”) last month in New York, a ceremony that warranted a whole page in People magazine.

“We had so much food,” he says of the reception. “The cocktail hour was complete with giant tins of caviar and a raw bar of every conceivable thing and there were passed hors d'oeuvres everywhere. And there was a five-course meal. The men had one menu and the women had another menu.

“I thought my wife would not be into that but she was totally into it. She said, as long as we had beef for the women. They had short ribs. The men had squab. Daniel decided he wanted to do that, and actually, it was a cool idea. People were sharing and tasting. It was nice.”

I bet the food was amazing. Not sure about the whole male/female split, but I love it that SM stood up for her female guest's right to beef!

And yeah, maybe they got a whole page in People, but this is still the least-covered celebrity wedding in recent memory. I don't care about the food - just tell us if MH and/or CM attended!

Edited by UltraViolet730, Mar 16, 2005 @ 12:39 PM.

Learned Hand

Learned Hand

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 6:33 PM

Just when I think Chris Meloni can't get any cooler, he helps judge a "Best Dressed Cop" contest.

tereza

tereza

Posted Mar 17, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

Anyone has any news about Mariska's father?

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 3:10 AM

Little Ashley/Pussy for Prada (™ someone clever) [Hayden Panettiere] is going to be appearing on the Tony Danza show tomorrow (Friday) along with Marg Helgenberger. A procedural twofer! Even though she's probably going to flog that Disney movie.

Ultra, I still can't believe we don't know that and there have not been any group photos. What gives, eh?

Edited by jfdb, Mar 18, 2005 @ 4:22 AM.

Poetry

Poetry

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 1:22 PM

Anyone has any news about Mariska's father?

Good Question. There is something about it in the National Enquirer this week. The gossip rag says Mickey also has bone cancer. He had the heart attack in Florida when MH was in L.A. he was working on the roof of the house when it happened, then he had another in the E.R. Production was shut down for three days and Mariska's scenes were to be shot later. All this info was from "sources" and "family friends"

Edited by Poetry, Mar 18, 2005 @ 4:53 PM.

UltraViolet730

UltraViolet730

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 5:22 PM

Wow - poor Mickey H., if that's true. Hope he's doing better!

In less important but much better news - the Cabot years may finally be coming to DVD. From an article about the Mothership S3 release:

We haven't had detailed info worth posting separately, but we can mention here briefly that Universal is pencilling plans in for bringing out both the 2nd and 3rd seasons of SVU before the year is out (approximately 5-6 months apart), and the 4th season is going to happen in 2006 (which will catch us up to the 5th season set that's already on the market).

There's also word that CI S2 will be out, as well. (Thanks to linny on CM's messageboard for the info.)

spacedog

spacedog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

Getting Season 2 and 3 before the end of the year will be awesome. I've given up all hope of ever getting decent extras. But, I don't think it'd kill Universal to release the sets with single-sided DVDs this time.

Poetry

Poetry

Posted Mar 19, 2005 @ 10:13 AM

I'm not holding my breath for an episode commentary either.

Allisa

Allisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2005 @ 12:58 AM

Seasons 2, 3, and 4 on DVD? My little brain can only take so much HToL.

Oh, and this is my first post. Hi.

Sing1118

Sing1118

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2005 @ 8:19 AM

Season 3... Butch Olivia... I will never get any work done ever again.

And hi, Allisa! ::waves::

KillingTime

KillingTime

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 7:05 AM

From SFGate

Detective Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay)a.k.a. Saint Olivia; a.k.a. O!livia

Modus operandi: Taking cases personally, advocating for victims, kicking perps tothe pavement.

What makes her tick: A child of rape, Benson exorcises her demons on the job while looking fabulous in v-neck sweaters.

Signature line: “Is this how you like it, you little freak?”

It's a fairly long article. Look familiar(g)

Edited by KillingTime, Mar 23, 2005 @ 7:53 AM.

ame8705

ame8705

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2005 @ 7:09 AM

Detective Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay)a.k.a. Saint Olivia; a.k.a. O!livia

Modus operandi: Taking cases personally, advocating for victims, kicking perps tothe pavement.

What makes her tick: A child of rape, Benson exorcises her demons on the job while looking fabulous in v-neck sweaters.

Signature line: “Is this how you like it, you little freak?”

That author totally wrote that whole story from this board.