Old Grey's Anatomy Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5131 replies to this topic

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 12:16 AM

Okay. Here we go again. Another hospital drama about young interns, except this time, itís from the perspective of female doctors. I was unable to find anything yet at ABCís website, but this is from The Futon Critic:

Welcome to Grace Hospital. The toughest surgical residency program west of Harvard. It's a brutal training ground for the newest medical recruits. Meet Meredith, Izzie and Christina. Yesterday they were students. Today they are doctors. And if they can make it through seven years of the finest hell Grace has to offer, they will be surgeons. But the rest of life doesn't stop just because their residency is tough, so this trio will also have to deal with jealous boyfriends and sick parents, one night stands and housing crises, with only each other to rely on. From Shonda Rhimes, the writer of "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge," comes a series about young women who are doctors; and doctors who are still young women.

The show premieres on March 27 at 10pm. I'll give this mid-seaon replacement three episodes before itís cancelled. The show seems okay from the previews Iíve seen, but it is so been there, done that. Patrick Dempsey is one of the stars, so I will give the first episode a try.

acidburn

acidburn

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 1:06 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this show just because i'll be in the same situation in a couple of months and I love Sandra Oh so having an opportunity to see her every week is great.

I'm hoping it'll be like early ER or a dramatic Scrubs and that it will last at least a season.

I guess I'm just a sucker for medical dramas.

Edited by acidburn, Feb 28, 2005 @ 1:07 AM.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 1:08 AM

I don't like medical dramas and won't be watching it, but if this show stays on the air, Katherine Heigl will be the most successful former member of the Roswell cast. Heh.

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 5:28 AM

I saw the original pilot for this and loved it, as did all the women I watched it with. We all swooned over Patrick Dempsey. It's well-written, all the actors are great -- Sandra Oh was wonderful, but I was a little annoyed that her character was the same super-driven-insecure-Asian-female that we saw with Ming Na in her original incarnation on ER season 1 or 2 or whenever that was.

Unfortunately, what I've heard is that ABC has changed the pilot and reconceived the series to make it lighter/funnier so as to be a better fit with Desperate Housewives. I haven't seen the new version, but I hope it's not too different. I saw this happen with The Brotherhood of Poland, NH. A bittersweet, sad but really wonderful pilot was "lightened up" and became a ludicrous, over-the-top, joke-mongering mess that was cancelled after only... well, who cares. The point is, I will be really pissed if the network suits mess this one up, because it had a lot of potential.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 5:48 AM

If the timeslot is 10 pm Monday then it will have to compete with CSI: Miami and Medium which real popular right now.

acidburn

acidburn

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 6:25 AM

It's going to be airing on 10 PM Sundays after Desperate Housewives (temporarily replacing Boston Legal). From what I've read about the original pilot, I think it's going to try and take advantage or DH's large female demographic.

I am presonally more interested in it now because there haven't really been many medical dramas (if at all) that approach it from a woman's point of view like they're going to do on this show. It's going to be great seeing the unique challenges that women face in the medical field. But then again, that could just be me relating to this show too much prematurely.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 8:28 AM

If it comes on Sundays at 10 then it may have a chance to gain an audience since it would really only have to compete with Crossing Jordan and the second part of the CBS movie.

ferretrick

ferretrick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 8:39 AM

Does this show have anything to do with the movie, Grey's Anatomy?

Philip Carey

Philip Carey

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 10:45 AM

I don't like medical dramas and won't be watching it, but if this show stays on the air, Katherine Heigl will be the most successful former member of the Roswell cast.

Except Tess who is on Lost.

Do you mean Gray's Anatomy? Or is there another movie altogether?

Edited by Philip Carey, Feb 28, 2005 @ 10:56 AM.

violet4120

violet4120

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 11:31 AM

I'm not sure about the show, but they get points for using The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" in their promo spots.

And Katherine Heigl is pretty. So maybe I will check it out.

ferretrick

ferretrick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 11:59 AM

Phillip Carey, no I meant an old comedy-must have come out in the 80s. Had Matthew Modine, a pre-I-think Melrose Place Daphne Zuniga, and Christine Lahti.

Edited by ferretrick, Feb 28, 2005 @ 11:59 AM.

acidburn

acidburn

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 12:11 PM

I think you mean Gross Anatomy. And no, it's not at all related to this series.

Edited by acidburn, Feb 28, 2005 @ 12:12 PM.

doctorwu

doctorwu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 12:56 PM

If you're referring to the filmed, one-man show featuring Spaulding Grey, then no, I doubt he'll have anything to do with the new show. If he does, doctors and theologians will no doubt be contacted for comment.

ferretrick

ferretrick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 1:55 PM

Aw, crap. acidburn is right, I meant Gross Anatomy. I turned 30 last week and obviously the mind is going...

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 2:04 PM

I don't like medical dramas and won't be watching it, but if this show stays on the air, Katherine Heigl will be the most successful former member of the Roswell cast.

I believe that Tess is not a regular on Lost but a recurring, so Katherine would be technically more successful, since regulars have greater status and make more money.

I think you mean Gross Anatomy.

I loved that movie. It made me want to go to medical school. And then there was organic chemistry, which made me not want to go to medical school, hence cursing me to a life of experiencing the field vicariously through medical shows.

I am presonally more interested in it now because there haven't really been many medical dramas (if at all) that approach it from a woman's point of view like they're going to do on this show.

So Strong Medicine doesnít do it for you, acidburn?

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 2:10 PM

Oh yeah. Excuse me while I slam my head into the nearest wall. I love Lost & watch it religiously but somehow it didn't occur to me that I used to hate Emilie de Ravin when she was on Roswell and now absolutely adore her on Lost. And now that she's an actual cast member on Lost, I guess this makes her more successful than Katherine Heigl (who I've heard isn't the lead on this show).

I believe that Tess is not a regular on Lost but a recurring, so Katherine would be technically more successful, since regulars have greater status and make more money.

Actually, Emilie is now a regular. Her name came up during the "Starring" part of the credits last week, and maybe before (?).

Philip Carey

Philip Carey

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 3:00 PM

Actually, Emilie is now a regular. Her name came up during the "Starring" part of the credits last week, and maybe before (?).

My point exactly. Also, I kinda doubt that this show will have the same impact as Lost, therefore, one can make the argument that a supporting role on Lost is still better than being the stah of GA.

Even if we leave EdR out of it, there's still Jason Behr. I'll be the first to admit that he may be the worst actor to ever having escaped from 7th Heaven/Dawson's Creek, but he has gotten some minor roles in movies. Some of them were even successful! Who had thought?

So Strong Medicine doesnít do it for you

Crap is crap, may it be from a woman's point of view or from a soulless rod's POV or ... you get *my* POV.

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 3:59 PM

So Strong Medicine doesnít do it for you?

Crap is crap, may it be from a woman's point of view or from a soulless rod's POV or ... you get *my* POV.

Heh. You admit youíve watched it. I have, too, but only the Chris Marquette episodes. Heís also the reason I still watch Joan of Arcadia. I follow my TV boyfriends anywhere, no matter how low they take me.

The Greyís Anatomy promos last night looked straight out of the pilot that I saw, so Iím thinking now that the pilot itself was not rejiggered, just the episodes following. Itís interesting that during the Oscars, ABC ran promos for GA but not for Eyes, which debuts just three days later, on March 30th. I havenít seen a single Eyes promo.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 5:18 PM

The Greyís Anatomy promos last night looked straight out of the pilot that I saw, so Iím thinking now that the pilot itself was not rejiggered, just the episodes following. Itís interesting that during the Oscars, ABC ran promos for GA but not for Eyes, which debuts just three days later, on March 30th. I havenít seen a single Eyes promo.

Since I'm really looking forward to Eyes, this bothers me too. What's weird though is that there's no GA page on ABC yet, but there's one for Eyes, as well as Jake in Progress and Blind Justice, even though ABC has done promos for GA, BJ and JIP but not for Eyes. Hmm.

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 5:30 PM

I found one here.

Philip Carey

Philip Carey

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 6:01 PM

Since I'm nothing but being shallow and proud of it, I will admit that I'm saying "Yes" to all the eye candy on the show. Ellen Pompeo aka teh Hottness (she was the best thing about Moonlight Mile to me) and Katherine Heigl (Not really safe for work, I guess , but y'all will understand why I watched The Roz only because of her ... okay, and because Kyle was funny ... and because I like the cheese ... but, really, mostly because of KH) can examine me every day of the week.

BoobTubeZombie

BoobTubeZombie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 6:55 PM

I like medical dramas (except ER, which I loathe), but there hasn't been one since Chicago Hope that I actually wanted to watch. I used to love Strong Medicine, before one of the Tia/Tamara twins joined the cast, and that was reason enough to stop watching. So with Strong Medicine gone from my tv viewing schedule I have room for Grey's Anatomy.

I'm extremely excited about this show. My reason for being excited can be summed up in two words: Patrick Dempsey. 'Nuff said. Plus, a side of Sharon Oh, and I'm in Heaven.

I haven't even seen it yet, and I'm already praying that it isn't cancelled. Which I hope all of you know means that it will.

politikgirl

politikgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 7:19 PM

I found one here.

Yeah, that one's been up for a while (the ABC Medianet one). What I meant was an official page on ABC.com.

Philip Carey

Philip Carey

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 7:39 PM

I like medical dramas (except ER, which I loathe), but there hasn't been one since Chicago Hope that I actually wanted to watch.

Hey, ER may be just a shadow of it's former self now, but back in the day it was good stuff ... and I'm still liking it (shut up). However, I see your CH and raise you St. Elsewhere. Best. Medical. Drama. Show. Ever. I've even loved the weird ass twist in the final episode that the whole show did only exist in the mind of Tommy Westphall, oh yes, I did.

I'm already praying that it isn't cancelled. Which I hope all of you know means that it will.

So, what you're trying to say here is that you are .... Ted McGinley?!?

I can see the show survive. If there's room for all the CSI and L&O shows out there, why not for another ER/CH clone. I cannot stress it often enough: Eye. Candy. (for the male and female audience). And if the show turns out to be actually good, even better!

Edited by Philip Carey, Feb 28, 2005 @ 7:41 PM.

BanjoSteve

BanjoSteve

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 7:40 PM

I'm really loving ABC this season. First Lost, Desperate Housewives, and Boston Legal all of which I either like a lot or love, now Eyes and Grey's Anatomy both of which look good. On the other hand there's Blind Justice, which looks like they've finally found the bottom of the procedural drama barrel

depudor

depudor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 7:48 PM

It'd be cool if they did a Blind Justice/Eyes crossover.

Yes, I'm mean.

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 8:02 PM

When I first heard about this show, I was not interested.

Then I saw Sandra Oh in an promo and got slightly interested.

Then last night I saw Patrick Dempsey in a promo and got very, very interested.

So, I'm in. It's been a while since I've watched a medical drama. I used to watch ER during the first couple of seasons, and that was a loooong time ago.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 8:30 PM

I'll watch three maybe even four episodes since I'm still awake at that time commenting on DH.

StephenTrendy

StephenTrendy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 8:46 PM

I can't wait for this show, since there has been a lack of a good hospital drama in recent years. ER is lurching toward the graveyard, but I lost love for it after George Clooney left and then there was MDs which I liked, but was promptly cancelled. I only hope that this stays for awhile. Unless it sucks, in which case good riddance.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2005 @ 9:20 PM

Hey, ER may be just a shadow of it's former self now, but back in the day it was good stuff ... and I'm still liking it (shut up).

I still watch ER too. I think it's still a pretty good show even if it pales in comparison to its glory days.

I can't wait for this show, since there has been a lack of a good hospital drama in recent years.

I beg to differ. House is an excellent medical drama and it's one of my favorites. If GA can come close to House in quality of writing and acting, I'll be a happy person.

Edited by Nikki125, Feb 28, 2005 @ 9:28 PM.